test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Multiple choice dialogue results

tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
How do you program a dialogue tree to have different effects depending on your choice (e.g. one choice causes a mob to spawn and another choice does not).

Similarly how do you program a quest so that you can talk to one of two npcs but talking to one prevents you from talking to another?
Post edited by tharkan on

Comments

• unsungchampionunsungchampion Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hey, I tarkan. I think I can help you. I have this in my quest. Basically if a player chooses, hostile or threating dialog eventually the NPC turns hostile. It's a pretty cool feature to have. Here is how I did it.

First: You need to have the dialog trigger the encounter
    To do this go into the encounter and hit Appears When>dialog Prompt Reached.
    Then for the Friendly NCP you have to make her disappear when then hostile encounter version of them appears.
    NOTE: If the NPC is part of the main story line you CANNOT give them a "Disappear Option" instead if they choose this "Path" you have to allow the player to "succeed" in talking to them. But once the encounter is beaten, how does the player talk to the NPC again. Well you have to do a fancy trick. Make a "wonded" or "beaten" version of the NPC you just fought, DO NOT MAKE IT'S dialog part of the story quest. You have to just make it a normal contact. Then you have to link it's dialog BACK to the main story so it makes sense. I hope this help. If you want more help just add me on Skype and I can talk you though it. Cheers and good luck! If you want an example check out my beta quest

The Shadewalkers: Beta

• tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Sadly I have already done this (and yes it is a cool feature).

I am looking for way to make this so that depending on what you say, different things can occur.

For example, I have it in my mind that you are trying to get rid of some unruly people in the tavern and that if you are openly hostile to them, then you will fight them to make them leave, but alternatively you can get them to leave by talking to them or bluffing them. Think a quest in the Fallout series; in order to get quest item x from npc y, you talk to them telling them you need the quest item and if you choose your words carefully you can get them to surrender the item peacefully, but if you are crass you have to fight and kill them for the item, so something like that.

So if anyone can help me figure out how to do that or make it so that you have a selection of people to talk to but only need to talk to one to advance the quest, I would appreciate your help.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is pretty simple to do.

First, set-up the dialog the same way Unsungchampion stated, but here's different way to describe it:

Setp three "contacts": The NPC the player contacts (speaks to) - then a copy of said NPC that will give the item (placated) and the second copy (third version) of same NPC (really: encounter with NPC costume) who will fight the player and drop the item when defeated.

The original NPC will will disappear "when complete" and the new (Placated) NPC appears in place. Gives the item. Or the Encounter NPC appears and fights. Which appears is based on which dialog you choose - either dialog "completes" the original NPC, which will then go invisible and the correct "alternate copy" will appear. This sort of happens in Blacklake when Zoe says "let's go" and she poofs and the "Follow" version appears (you can clearly see it happening - so there's nothing that can be down about that).

Do not add any of the NPCs to your storyboard. Rather, add a "Reaches Point" place marker to the storyboard and put the marker at the NPC and called it "Find NPC" or something (it will flash "Find NPC completed!" across the screen) - this way you can 'force' the player to get within interact distance of the NPC - which they will then interact and start the dialog.

:)
    edited May 2014
    This is pretty simple to do.

First, set-up the dialog the same way Unsungchampion stated, but here's different way to describe it:

Setp three "contacts": The NPC the player contacts (speaks to) - then a copy of said NPC that will give the item (placated) and the second copy (third version) of same NPC (really: encounter with NPC costume) who will fight the player and drop the item when defeated.

The original NPC will will disappear "when complete" and the new (Placated) NPC appears in place. Gives the item. Or the Encounter NPC appears and fights. Which appears is based on which dialog you choose - either dialog "completes" the original NPC, which will then go invisible and the correct "alternate copy" will appear. This sort of happens in Blacklake when Zoe says "let's go" and she poofs and the "Follow" version appears (you can clearly see it happening - so there's nothing that can be down about that).

Do not add any of the NPCs to your storyboard. Rather, add a "Reaches Point" place marker to the storyboard and put the marker at the NPC and called it "Find NPC" or something (it will flash "Find NPC completed!" across the screen) - this way you can 'force' the player to get within interact distance of the NPC - which they will then interact and start the dialog.

:)

Thanks for the advice, but what do I do if I am not trying to get an item, but make an npc leave an area either by fighting and beating them or by threatening and bluffing them? How do I program the quest dialogue to spawn one of two different npcs (or mobs) depending on how I act?

Also, I'm not to familiar with the terminology. What is the "storyboard"? Is that the thing that determines the quest stuff?
  • bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    tharkan wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, but what do I do if I am not trying to get an item, but make an npc leave an area either by fighting and beating them or by threatening and bluffing them? How do I program the quest dialogue to spawn one of two different npcs (or mobs) depending on how I act?
    If you set up your dialogue chains right, I think you can have an NPC appear who would then one-way patrol away from the scene. You'd have to set up the NPC you talk to to disappear after talking to them, and then have a copy appear when the next objective is in progress.

Play with the "Appear when" settings on the copy, & see what you can rig up.
    Also, I'm not to familiar with the terminology. What is the "storyboard"? Is that the thing that determines the quest stuff?
    Basically, yes. In the foundry there is a tab labelled "Story." This is what people are referring to around here when they talk about the "Storyboard." It's basically the list of objectives that links the accepting of the quest to the fulfillment of the quest.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    If you set up your dialogue chains right, I think you can have an NPC appear who would then one-way patrol away from the scene. You'd have to set up the NPC you talk to to disappear after talking to them, and then have a copy appear when the next objective is in progress.

Play with the "Appear when" settings on the copy, & see what you can rig up.
    I have already done this, but this still doesn't help me. I already know how to set up an npc to patrol after being talked to, but I don't know how to make different npcs spawn depending on different dialogue choices, or if it is at all possible.

bardaaron wrote: »
    Basically, yes. In the foundry there is a tab labelled "Story." This is what people are referring to around here when they talk about the "Storyboard." It's basically the list of objectives that links the accepting of the quest to the fulfillment of the quest.
    Ok that makes sense thanks.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I have already done this, but this still doesn't help me. I already know how to set up an npc to patrol after being talked to, but I don't know how to make different npcs spawn depending on different dialogue choices, or if it is at all possible.

This sounds like you want an "Appear When" on "Dialog Reached" and then you select the dialog node to trigger the encounter/npc/detail appearance.