test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

out of memory

killswitchengagkillswitchengag Member Posts: 32 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
i had enough!!!!
since the the previous patches i get a million out of memory crash , whilst i played this game before for a long time and never had an issue , i have a i3 dual core with 2 gb ram
cryptic fix this for god sake
Post edited by killswitchengag on

Comments

• xcom43xcom43 Member Posts: 822 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    No in fact you need to add Ram if you are running only 2 gigs then you need at lest 4 gigs to run properly.

Try lowering your in game video settings to see if that helps.

What windows are you running i would recommend on increasing your VM till you get more ram.

Make sure you play this game in Windowed maximized mode not full screen.

For any Cryptics games do not use full screen it just plain does not work well even with a power full video card.

If you use Windowed maximized this will let you use your Alt option to exit game and use your dual or triple screen setup.I hate full screen mode be cause it will crash game some times if you use Start key or Alt + Tab where the game will minimize into the task bar.

Deatail

World Texture Quality - 100% default

Character Texture Quality - 200%

World Detail Distance -100%

Terrain Detail Distance -100%

Character Detail Distance -200%

Show High Detail Objects -On

Max Physics Debris Objects -100%

Postprocessing -On

Visual FX Quality -Medium

Soft Particles -On

Bloom Quality - Off

Screen-space Ambient Occlusion - On

Cinematic Focus - On

Underwater view - On

Reflection Quality - Low

Framerate Stablizer - On

Auto-stabalize Framerate - On

Limit CPU Usage When Inactive - Off

Multi-core Rendering - On

Use Full Detail Character Animation - On

GPU Accelerated Particles - On

Reduced File Streaming - Off

Software cursor - Off

Minimum Shadow buffer bias - Off

Reduce CPU/GPU usage - Off

Limit Frame Rate - 60

Video memory Limit - Auto
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
  • killswitchengagkillswitchengag Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2013
    thanks i am using a very low settings on video settings , and i will change the full screen to maximized
  • dragonclawdwdragonclawdw Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hi all,
    i have only a 2 GB RAM. But as xcom43 said, i need at least 4 GB to run it properly. So im going to add another 2 GB. But i have this small problem. The technician guy said that sometimes, while inserting the RAM problems may occur on the motherboard or something because my computer is about 4 years old. I cant fix the computer if problems occur. But i really wanna play NW without decreasing every settings on minimum and still get bad fps. So should i take a risk and insert it?
    tnx all
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    In the future please post your own thread rather than necroing a long dead one. :)

First off you do not need 4Gb of RAM but it is highly recommended to have at least 3 if you are running Windows Vista or 7 and with a computer that is four years old I would assume you at least have Vista.

Now the chances that you would in any way damage the computer while installing a stick of RAM is somewhere between unlikely and not going to happen unless you do something really stupid like spill your drink onto the motherboard. RAM only fits in one direction and is as simple as changing a lightbulb. Even my mother knows how to change the RAM in a computer.

The actual issue is figuring out which RAM you need to use and how much you can use.
    For instance Dell has proprietary RAM so you may only use specific types in Dell Computers. Additionally you need to know if your motherboard is even capable of additional RAM. You could have 4 Dimms (slots) for DDR3 RAM Modules so you could think you could put 4 8GB modules in and be at 32 GB of RAM but your motherboard may only be capable of running 16 GB regardless.

Which leads to the the small elephant in the room. If you bought a computer four years ago there is a decent chance it uses DDR2. DDR2 is no longer manufactured so the prices are rather high.

The real giant elephant is that four years ago 2 GB of RAM was still low. If you only have 2 GB of RAM it raises the question of what else is in your system. I honestly would assume an Intel HD otherwise known and trash. If you are running DDR2 I would teeter on saying it is not worth spending the money to upgrade the computer. If you do not have a real graphics card (Intel HD is good enoguh to watch movies. It will not play games) I definitely would recommend buying a new computer.

The sad truth about computer technology is that after two years you will be able to buy parts twice as good cheaper than if you bought replacement or upgrade parts for your old machine. It doesn't make sense to me to invest 100 dollars in 4 Gigs of DDR2 RAM (if you are using a laptop) when you can buy a computer for 500 that is easily 4x faster than what you have.

Sure that's 400 dollars less but it really is comparable to replacing the transmission of a car which has 200K miles on it. All you are doing is buying time. It won't give you another 200K miles (four years) it might give your a year or two before you have to replace more parts (like the actual engine/CPU) or get another car/computer anyway.

I'm sorry but when it comes to computer tech I really don't recommend putting money into old machines. People tend to try to to rationalize putting money into older machines in all sorts of ways but it just doesn't add up more often than not. I don't recommend buying my extremely expensive computer but I do recommend thinking ahead.

Computer tech really does double basically every year or two. If you only put enough to get by now you will end up throwing it away sooner rather than later anyway. Like a car when it starts having problems and it is at the end of it's lifetime it is is almost better to save up to get everything to last longer rather than try to Frankenstein it.