test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you want from a pvp DC?

evrisaevrisa Member Posts: 40 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
What do you want from your Dc teammate? I am curious as I have been given 2 basic responses to this question. Some people want the DC to be tanky enough but still put out heals and others just want a tank to sit on and lock down a node till dps comes with very little heal output. Though I have almost decided to give up my pvp DC as PWE has effectively said they don't care about them and will not change the leaderboards to show healing contributions, I hate to do so and want to know what is the consensus out there regarding what other teammates look for in their DC. Thanks.
Post edited by evrisa on

Comments

• thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I'm an HR. I'd go with a good tanky(decent)+control(decent)+heal(good). Do I want too much? Thought so :(
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • crazymikeecrazymikee Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    try a mixture of both and see what aspect helps you win the domination matches more
    Coach Mike - 19.1k PvP CW
    CRAZY MIKE - 14.6k PvE CW

Backbone - 16.7k PvP HR
    [SIGPIC]http://i59.tinypic.com/s3hts7.png[/SIGPIC]
  • proneificationproneification Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 494 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    evrisa wrote: »
    What do you want from your Dc teammate?

All around support. Healing based on where is needed - if my TR is low on HP, I know my DC will do everything in his power to come and throw me a few heals.

You should also lock a node where needed, but not this possible these days due to Power rework/OP classes. But this doesn't mean you don't have to be tanky, cause you need to survive the trips between nodes.
  • maroucatmaroucat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Battlefield awareness. A good DC can hover on the edge of the battlefield, using control powers, buffs, and debuffs to give an edge to their team, while also keeping the people that aren't being burst down topped off on HP. I've only seen a few people playing them very well, but those people were awesome.

Unfortunately the mechanics of PvP right now and how points are awarded would punish you pretty severely for supporting your team in the best possible way because...
    • You wouldn't be in the middle of the 4x4 fight on the node
    • You wouldn't get many kills or assists
    • You would rarely get any capture points

Played with a cleric that was amazing a few days ago. Allowed a team of scrub geared players (including me), to fight a well geared team to a standstill. He was last on the scoreboard.
  • spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    DC does best in premade groups. You want to be tanky and do lots of heals and damage mitigation. Throw some DoTs around too as they help the team and you will get the occasional kills. Don't bother with loading up a bunch of damage encounters as DC's damage is laughable and they don't translate well in PvP. Best position is mid node but with a talented group you will need to move around to do assists. The recent mounting nerf has made this task doubly hard.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I think the most effective DCs are focused on being tanky while putting out just enough heals to mean you have to kill them.

I don't think their best use is contesting points because they'll never kill anyone solo, so the best you could hope for is a stalemate.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • evrisaevrisa Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Thank you for your replies. Some say they want a DC to be total tank and just hold a node till the DPS comes. I disagree and feel that the DC should be tanky for survival and to be a good punching bag (but not uber tank as that sacrifices some other things), buff/debuff and heals (acknowledging that they wont be great due to the game restraints but life saving/game saving). Its nice to see others thinking similarly.
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    An old thread of mine that have the same question here.
  • alexandrearrudaalexandrearruda Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was confused on how to make my DC because of some builds that were posted on this forum and others. Some of then are based on damage, some on healing... I always try to mix using a gear with good power and recovery, always putting astral shield, healing my team and using my divine power to hit the "almost dead" or using my daily hammer instead the hallowed ground. Now a days, with a lower gear in pvp you have to try to stay together your team and help them. And sorry about my english ;)
  • meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Just imagine a scale between 1 = pure pugging and 100 = only running with a perfectly voice chat-coordinated, best-in-slot, troll comp premade. If you're somewhere between 1 - 30 on your scale, you should be very tanky and forget about healing, because

- you need to play like a point holder, since your teammates won't do their job well or at all.
    - healing won't save an undergeared team, but contesting nodes may do it.
    - a floating (healing) DC requires your team to dominate overall (outgear or outplay the other team). In even teams, a floating DC will be impossible since you leaving a point to throw a heal somewhere else would mean losing the node you just left.

If you're somewhere between 70 and 100, you should go for heals for the reasons proneification mentioned. If you only run with well-geared teams, most of the time, a healing-focused DC will decide if you win 1000:800 or 1000:200.
  • goldroger007goldroger007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    im a dps DC, just drop AS, and use FF and BoS to dps. its going good so far, i just go run random vs randoms. and my enchants on my gear arent maxed. this are my stats so far

pvpstat.png
  • lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    50/50 win loss ratio isn't good though
    I disagree that a healing dc is bad
    like people previously said, healing and tanking is necessary
    healing an undergeared team can help them beat the enemies by keeping them up longer to do more dmg
    sometimes you can swap in divine glow to help them clear

a dps dc is not viable b/c our cds are too long... the kda is nice but winning for the whole team is better
    imo, kda is not important and dps dc is more selfish overall
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If you are just a normal player and want to have some fun, you can play as a dpser. If you want to win the match, go for heals with sufficient defensive stats. If you want to be competitive, build yourself as tanky as possible and prepared to face any gank of 3 guys above and successfully survive till your teammates arrive.

I play dps/debuff on my Elf in HP set and i just get my first triple kill. It is very rare but if you want to troll for 2 months or more, you can get your triple kill task done. Btw, you can swap to debuff encounters when your team is good. Treat it like a dungeon, if your allies don't need any heal, then help them debuff their enemies to speed up their killing (and ks them if you are lucky).
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    lazuree wrote: »
    50/50 win loss ratio isn't good though
    For an all-PuG player the win/loss ratio is largely out of your control. And individual win/loss ratio is arguably irrelevant anyway in a team game.

Plus if ELO ever starts working then in theory everyone will end up with a 50/50 win/loss ratio or close to it as you'll always be matched against teams with equal gear/skill.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Come on, are we seriously STILL talking about K/D and using it as reference, with the broken ELO? Ehh...*sighs*
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • ulvielulviel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 741 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    What jazzfong said.
    I'd also like to add that if you are pugging, more often than not you'll be finding yourself in a situation when you not only don't want to heal or support in any way your ungrateful, stupid and rude team, but you also wish you could kill them yourself.
  • goldroger007goldroger007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ELO is bassed on the winnin/losing ratio i guess, not in GS as it must be, the only way to increase winnin ratio is to go on a premade party, since everytime u get more wins u will get placed with unexperienced player and it will get back to 50/50 if its decrease it will happen the same. thats how elo balances team here lol. never had a problem with CDs as a DPS dc, and well heal sux now so all u need to win is AS. as a DC u are not the one gettin carried, DC is the one who lead the fights, i always ignore players that start chasing ppl outsides nodes, i just dont heal them.

note: i was invencble overlord, and when the gap of wins and loses increased too much my team was full of blue VS a team with 14k+ gs.
  • slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I expect a DC to be something more than just a heal bot that camp at mid the entire match.

And I expect a DC can solo hold a point for a period of time depending on the match up.

Honestly I don't care if you heal me for 5000 per tick or 500, it makes no use if you are dead in one rotation. So basically you wanna go tanky, and there is no such thing as healing DC in PVP, all good PVP DC are tanky, they just try to squeeze some more healing power while being tanky.