test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why help the GF?

nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
I just finished my dailies in IWD with my CW within 25 minutes. Not a single potion used.
Before that I did the same with my GF. needed lots of pots, and double the time. Lots of avoiding red.
Before my GF I did it in my GWF, also ~25 minutes. No potions. Not even stepping aside out of the red.
So I came here to tell you my view. PvE player.
I can not be bothered to PvP since this tenacity balancing.

As there are 6 dailies you would expect that some are easier for one class, harder for the other. Not here. All very easy for the GWF, CW.
Mediocre for HR, TR.
Rather - not hard, but time consuming - for DC. Funny, also needs lot of pots and kiting. Healer??? Not on herself, for whatever stupid reason. Probably some PvP issue that hit the PvE players as ususally.
Very, very lengthy for GF. Many pots, much frustration with totems ninjaed from me.

All toons are 14-15.5k GS, T2 armor, a +450 weapon set, R7 enchants mostly. Stone of Allure.

If only anyone with something to say would recognize that the GF has been destroyed and nerfed to death. Makes me sad, especially since he was the only toon I invested a lot of money in, before the Bulwark nerf. That did show me where it is good to invest money, and where not. Lesson learned.
Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
Post edited by nameexpired on

Comments

• Options
    quitegonejinquitegonejin Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2014
    There are many many reasons to help GF's, in pve AND pvp. This is also a nice thought but barely one of the more pressing reasons they need attention.
  • Options
    maroucatmaroucat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I didn't have to use any pots on the dailies with my fresh 60 GF except in the instanced boss fights. Enduring warrior mostly kept me at full health, and the Fighter's Recovery daily did the rest. Granted, this is just Dread Ring and Sharandar, is IWD that much harder?
  • Options
    epclipseingmoonepclipseingmoon Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    umm why not use fighters recovery? I basicly never have to use pots on my gf now and since mod 3 my dc need to use them sometimes though...
    @dimensionallight
    Princess Amber - DC
    Shieldmaiden Amber - GF
    Valkyrie Amber - GWF
    Huntress Amber - HR
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    maroucat wrote: »
    I didn't have to use any pots on the dailies with my fresh 60 GF except in the instanced boss fights. Enduring warrior mostly kept me at full health, and the Fighter's Recovery daily did the rest. Granted, this is just Dread Ring and Sharandar, is IWD that much harder?

Your fresh GF will be next to destroyed in IWD PVE. That being said once you really get a feel of how it performs, tweak your ability setup and get some good GS you will have minor issues with the new zone. My 14.5 Conq GF just started IWD and I can solo HEs, kill cc immune/hard hitting mobs in 1.5 rotation + a few at-wills. Its not as easy as with my 16.3 GWF but if you like the GF enough to play it you can certainly enjoy IWD too.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    When I first arrived at IWD I had issues with sucking down pots constantly, but then I learned to play.

Not an insult. I just noticed that I am half way through IWD campaign and I go days barely sucking pots down at all now. I did do some rethinking. Can you believe I only had 1 point in Fighter's Recovery? Based on the use I get out of it now I laugh at myself! I shored that up pretty quickly with my bonus points.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have one of each class running the IWD dailies and the GF is the biggest chore. 12.6k Conq, so not my best geared character but still has T1 armor set (Valiant Warrior) and Timeless sword and shield. The worst problem I've had is doing the wolf pelt quest. The only way I can do that without nearly dying is hit and run tactics. If you block that obnoxious bite attack, you'll get hit three times and your guard will be reduced instantly. So it's FLS, ET, LS... run around in circles until the cooldown (at we've all had practice with that!) and then repeat. Takes forever. It doesn't help that the bite attack is by far the most annoying animation in the game. The bear riders' charge will knock you down through block. I don't know why as the Yeti attack doesn't do that. Pretty much need to have Villain's Menace slotted to stop the bite CC.

The giants are actually easier, especially if you switch to single target skills (kneebreaker and anvil work well) before hand. For the most part, those skills work well in many of the encounters, just not the wolves as there's no way to actually stand and fight them.

Dwarven Valley is for the most part easier. The biggest issue is that the mobs will constantly surround you if you don't keep moving. Fighter's Recovery is a must here. FLS and LS using your mark as you can to get more damage and take out the weak stuff first. One or two strong opponents are easier to deal with than a pack of weak ones.

My impression of the ease that different classes have pretty much mirrors the OP. However my GF and HR aren't so well geared as my others (15k GS roughly) The HR had trouble before I respecced from ranged to melee. Now she's fairly quick and straightforward. DC takes some time and occasionally has to use pots. CW runs through the mobs like they were nothing, only issue is shard bugging and even that isn't such a big deal. GWF pulls multiple groups of mobs and kills them all, often ending up at full health.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    daggon87daggon87 Member Posts: 288 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm playing IWD with my main, a 16K Conq Swordmaster GF and a 13.5K Senti GWF. I never use any potion with both of them. And I can solo everything. My only problem (like many others here) : it takes me about twice as much time with the GF ...

It's a good thing I like the play-style of this character more.
    Olaf, freelance guardian fighter.
    Enorla, Oh so devoted cleric.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And with a GF Protector/Tactician?, I think it will be annoying for me as Hell going to IWD then... Since I don't stack Power so much, it's not my playstyle when I'm supposedly playing a "Tank" Class, but the game is screaming and begin you to play your class in wrong way, I think I will have to respect to play in a way I don't like (?).
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I do protector with no power at ~13.5 GS/ It isn't that bad. Non-HE encounters are trivial but long. HE encounters require specific encounter powers, and it helps if someone else shows up. The first zone is more annoying then the second. There arn't as many high HP mobs in the second zone and the GFs AE attacks are more productive. I haven't timed myself, but 25 minutes sounds really long.

By long I mean, "take a minute" or some such. Not hideously long, I mean just not instant.

Also, as a GF I highly recommend you do not religiously use 1 armor set. Rearrange yourself based on need. If you keep your bags organized it is fast and easy.
  • Options
    oicidrazoicidraz Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »
    I do protector with no power at ~13.5 GS/ It isn't that bad. Non-HE encounters are trivial but long. HE encounters require specific encounter powers, and it helps if someone else shows up. The first zone is more annoying then the second. There arn't as many high HP mobs in the second zone and the GFs AE attacks are more productive. I haven't timed myself, but 25 minutes sounds really long.

Oh, ok, thx for the info :)
  • Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    oicidraz wrote: »
    And with a GF Protector/Tactician?, I think it will be annoying for me as Hell going to IWD then... Since I don't stack Power so much, it's not my playstyle when I'm supposedly playing a "Tank" Class, but the game is screaming and begin you to play your class in wrong way, I think I will have to respect to play in a way I don't like (?).

I do not want to "teach" anything to anyone, I just am not entitled to.

But try to focus on the gameplay, any game has this: you can tank beautifully, ok, but if you cannot kill your opponent (and GF is structured to have LOTS at one time), you're just draining your block, in a "losing stalemate".
    That's why, even as a GF, you need to focus on power and dealing damage, in addition to the abilities to soak/diminish the damage taken, and prolong block meter as much as possible.

So it's not the game telling you to play your toon in a "wrong" way: the thing that is wrong is the sheer difficulty to play it well (and balance stats to make you competitive) in comparison to all other classes.
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    rittzbitzrittzbitz Member Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Rather - not hard, but time consuming - for DC. Funny, also needs lot of pots and kiting. Healer??? Not on herself, for whatever stupid reason. Probably some PvP issue that hit the PvE players as ususally.
    It was a stupid reason. Back in beta PvE players complained that DCs didn't use as many potions as them, therefore, righteousness was made! Now it's been changed from a 40% reduction on self-healing to a 70% increase on team healing, except they reduced the amount of healing each power gives by about half.

Gotta love semantics, make a bad thing seem good.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think one thing that GFs need is a way that they can never lose the ability to block - perhaps have the amount of protection guard grants you drop significantly when your guard meter is depleted, but don't remove said ability all together...

I also think the transition from blocking to not blocking (or visa versa) should be quicker and smoother.

Lastly, I think that what the attacks do, while you are blocking, should be based upon what at-will powers you have slotted. Heck, maybe even allow use of encounters while blocking...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just finished my dailies in IWD with my CW within 25 minutes. Not a single potion used.
    Before that I did the same with my GF. needed lots of pots, and double the time. Lots of avoiding red.
    Before my GF I did it in my GWF, also ~25 minutes. No potions. Not even stepping aside out of the red.
    So I came here to tell you my view. PvE player.
    I can not be bothered to PvP since this tenacity balancing.

As there are 6 dailies you would expect that some are easier for one class, harder for the other. Not here. All very easy for the GWF, CW.
    Mediocre for HR, TR.
    Very, very lengthy for GF. Many pots, much frustration with totems ninjaed from me.

All toons are 14-15.5k GS, T2 armor, a +450 weapon set, R7 enchants mostly. Stone of Allure.

If only anyone with something to say would recognize that the GF has been destroyed and nerfed to death. Makes me sad, especially since he was the only toon I invested a lot of money in, before the Bulwark nerf. That did show me where it is good to invest money, and where not. Lesson learned.

Same thing here buddy, my first char, the GF is using 3-4 times more pots and potions, than my way lower gs GWF,. The GF recieves during his dailies again 3-4 times less potions from drops, but must consume since the broken class skills and the mostly PVP focused healers (who don't heal at all) much more. I'm always in need of gold for him, whereas my GWF has nearly 400 potions and 150 gold in reserve.

Yeah, shield is pretty useless, it is there to have something in the left hand, we can't run or dodge and our skills don't provide 360 degree defense, like the GWF for example has.

I still love him, but if i wanna have fun, i grab the GWF, sad to say, but it's true.

I'm a bit angry too, 'cause i also invested a lot into him and can't really profit from it, like the PVP Profund gear, i tested it out for some time, no better than my combo High General/Grand Regent/Ancient Knight gear.

And third i hate to beg someone for help, like in the Biggrin's Tomb quest, my GF is sleeping in or dies 'till i finish the quest. Sadly no fun!
    The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• Options
    rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I only have my 14.2k GS DC and my 14.2 GS GF (tactician) in IWD, and it does take me longer to do the dailies on my GF than it does on my DC. But what is odd, my GF has an easier time in Icewind Pass than my DC, and vice versa for Dwarven Valley. But I can do both in less than 25 minutes, just depending on which HE I choose to do. It is mostly because my DC has about 1000 more power and 2000 more crit than my GF has, that does make a big difference. But too, my GF has 2000 more defense and almost 1000 more deflect( DC in full High Prophet and GF in full High General).
  • Options
    zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Why do GF need help? well they certainly don't need one the dev think so too, so why should we help the GF *Sarcasm off*
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    maroucat wrote: »

Yes.

I can one shot groups of Troll Runts and Dread Servitors with Frontline. However, my Frontline maybe takes away 25% health of the softest enemy in IWD. Then you get the Polar Bears and Ice Giants that are tougher than even a Fomorian Warlord in Sharandar.

I can and do solo IWD, but it is time-consuming and I probably need 5 - 6 pots throughout my Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley run.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    emilemo wrote: »
    My 14.5 Conq GF just started IWD and I can solo HEs, kill cc immune/hard hitting mobs in 1.5 rotation + a few at-wills.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

You have 300 more GS than me. I have 9200 power, 1600 crit, 2200 arpen, 2300 rec, normal Plaguefire and I cannot kill a single Yeti in 1.5 rotations plus a few at-wills. I have to swing away at that bugger for probably 3 full rotations plus many at-wills. Bear Tribe HE? Sure, I can solo it, but it takes me a while.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I-dont-believe-you.gif

You have 300 more GS than me. I have 9200 power, 1600 crit, 2200 arpen, 2300 rec, normal Plaguefire and I cannot kill a single Yeti in 1.5 rotations plus a few at-wills. I have to swing away at that bugger for probably 3 full rotations plus many at-wills. Bear Tribe HE? Sure, I can solo it, but it takes me a while.

Are you trying Knight's Challenge? That awesome damage boost really clobbers even elite mobs when combo'ed with reckless attacker and fighter's recovery keeping you alive. I usually kill things in 2 rotations, myself.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...