test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Custom water looks... odd

celticgamer0celticgamer0 Member Posts: 537 Arc User
I recently tried to make a custom river/lake for my map and it just looks odd. One, I don't know if or how I lower the land for the water and two, if I simply put the water on the land my toon simply walks over it like a puddle. I have seen many beautiful maps with custom rivers and lakes. How is that done?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You cannot move or adjust the terrain in any way.

What you can do is raise/lower a water plane by setting it's Y axis to where you want.
    You can use "/loc" to tell you your PC's current X Y Z location and adjust from there.

ALL water planes are about 3' deep. No matter how big the lake/ocean/river looks, it'll remain 3' deep.
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Usually you need to build up the land mass if you want custom water effects. Here are a few things I've done:

1. Try the different water types, they do make a difference depending on your setting and how you want to use the water.
    2. Use the Mossy/Grassy Stone pieces to build up the banks.
    3. Build custom areas on the Ocean Expanse map.

I use #3 when I need to make large, navigable rivers. In Silverymoon I used that effect to build the city on top of the ocean expanse for the River Rauvin and then on my guild's account I made a dockside quay on the Neverwinter River.

If you would like to see some of these custom water effects take a run through Rescue in the Silver Marches. You'll see Silverymoon built on the Ocean Expanse, you'll see a mountain waterfall along the mountain pass and another waterfall and forest pond in the Spine of the World Mountains. If you look carefully you'll be able to see that the land masses, rocks, trees, and vegetation placed along the side of the water planes are often more important than the water planes themselves.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Oh, you have Silverymoon built in a foundry quest? I'll definitely check that out!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have seen many beautiful maps with custom rivers and lakes. How is that done?

Put in "River" in the search box for your details tab, there is a detail asset which is a river.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    reiwulf wrote: »
    Oh, you have Silverymoon built in a foundry quest? I'll definitely check that out!

Since it is built on the Ocean expanse it is a little "sleepy" since I was at every single budget limit. With the new limits I can add a few more things but sheesh, human houses are hard on a budget!
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ