test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Heroic encounters and overcrowding

xalabixalabi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
The current situation, as I see it, regarding the big heroic encounters (Beholder etc) goes like this as soon as someone spots a spawn, lots of people run to it. Soon, the area has 50+ people, which is not handled well by the server/my client - the boss, players, and mob around them phase in and out of existence. I can move around an empty area (asking myself where is everything), and half a second later see 10 players the boss some black orbs and 5 mob appear, killing me instantly.

This isn't fun, and wouldn't be even if the technical problems were solved, as having 50 people on an encounter designed for say 10 makes it feel more like a race to get there in time than an epic battle. The Boss HP goes down fast. There's a struggle to do enough damage to get credit, which basically amounts to trying to shot in the short time window between something spawning and everyone else's first attack killing it. Dailies like singularity feel like they're being spammed (as there are so many players alternating their use). It's too chaotic.

Suggestions:
1) Once an encounter like the beholder spawns, lock the instance. Don't let people call in their guild chat and bring all their friends from other instances by partying them and entering the map. Let the encounter be completed by the people that happened to be in the area.
2) Increase the spawn rate of these encounters.
Post edited by xalabi on

Comments

• unrealized1977unrealized1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    xalabi wrote: »
    The current situation, as I see it, regarding the big heroic encounters (Beholder etc) goes like this as soon as someone spots a spawn, lots of people run to it. Soon, the area has 50+ people, which is not handled well by the server/my client - the boss, players, and mob around them phase in and out of existence. I can move around an empty area (asking myself where is everything), and half a second later see 10 players the boss some black orbs and 5 mob appear, killing me instantly.

This isn't fun, and wouldn't be even if the technical problems were solved, as having 50 people on an encounter designed for say 10 makes it feel more like a race to get there in time than an epic battle. The Boss HP goes down fast. There's a struggle to do enough damage to get credit, which basically amounts to trying to shot in the short time window between something spawning and everyone else's first attack killing it. Dailies like singularity feel like they're being spammed (as there are so many players alternating their use). It's too chaotic.

Suggestions:
    1) Once an encounter like the beholder spawns, lock the instance. Don't let people call in their guild chat and bring all their friends from other instances by partying them and entering the map. Let the encounter be completed by the people that happened to be in the area.
    2) Increase the spawn rate of these encounters.

Locking the instance wont help because most instances can have 50+ players. However there is another solution if the recommended party size is say 6-10 then simple, the first 10 people arrive to the fight get in the "reward
    pool, ever one who arrives after the recommended pool gets filled can participate but no one will get any type of reward for fighting. This not only fixes the drop rate issue, it makes people more likely to spread out when they don't get any type of reward for participating in the fight.
  • abudamanabudaman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Locking the instance wont help because most instances can have 50+ players. However there is another solution if the recommended party size is say 6-10 then simple, the first 10 people arrive to the fight get in the "reward
    pool, ever one who arrives after the recommended pool gets filled can participate but no one will get any type of reward for fighting. This not only fixes the drop rate issue, it makes people more likely to spread out when they don't get any type of reward for participating in the fight.

This wouldn't really help, as some people don't read forums or news/updates from patches. You'd still get a ton of people there, but then they'd be complaining that they didn't get anything. Also, your going to find parties of people just camping remo/raiders spawn site so that are there when it comes up.

In time, you will see that once people get their BI gear that they won't bother doing the encounters as much as they do now.

What they need to do to fix this is either increase drop rates on BI gear, or more than likely get better (or more servers) so that an instance can support 50+ people nuking 1 spot on a map.
  • unrealized1977unrealized1977 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 100
    edited May 2014
    abudaman wrote: »
    This wouldn't really help, as some people don't read forums or news/updates from patches. You'd still get a ton of people there, but then they'd be complaining that they didn't get anything. Also, your going to find parties of people just camping remo/raiders spawn site so that are there when it comes up.

In time, you will see that once people get their BI gear that they won't bother doing the encounters as much as they do now.

What they need to do to fix this is either increase drop rates on BI gear, or more than likely get better (or more servers) so that an instance can support 50+ people nuking 1 spot on a map.

Other option is instead of having 1 remorhaz spawn on the map, have 2 or 3 pop up in different areas all on the same spawn timer this way it will split up the zerg.
  • abudamanabudaman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Other option is instead of having 1 remorhaz spawn on the map, have 2 or 3 pop up in different areas all on the same spawn timer this way it will split up the zerg.

This wouldn't be so bad.....maybe have 2 that spawn in different locations randomly kind of like the Beholder.
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, make them on 2-3 different areas on the corners of the map would help out dramatically. 2-3 EPIC HE Spawns of the same type on the same timer this will completely destroy any chance of a mass zerg and give everyone chances at epic loot. Also to combat the chance of a huge zerg going from 1 to 2 then to 3 and handling all 3 epics... Shorten the timer especially on the remorhaz maybe go to 15 minutes also cause the zergs to split up.
  • str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Yeah it's become pretty obvious that when 30 people zerg an HE, everybody loses.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I happen to agree, my other thought is turn the beholder and remorhoz into GG style 10 player instances with two teams of 5 people walking in, no queue just people walking into the staging area and make it a dungeon or an area on the map that only allows 10 people in. I suppose to ensure that two groups go in they could put a interact object on either side of the entry way that require a group of 5 to touch to activate and the other side needs a group of 5 to touch and activate. Something similar to that at least or work it so that you can make groups larger than 5 to go at the bosses. No one wants to do any other heroics any way so unless they drop rates fix so people start doing the other stuff on the maps. Other blue level HE are getting pretty much left by the way side not to mention the low 2 - 3 person ones.

My other solution which I bet a lot of people will like, is just make an IWD event time for one hour just like DD and such. Do an HE time of say 30 - 60 minutes where you always get a purple loot drop (this way getting either purple mats or those worthless purple elk tribe type drops will have some function and then BI gear can have a small drop chance that might actually allow people to actually get them over time). On the same token there IWD open world PVP should also have a special even time. Personally I think this would make the most sense. Or if giving guaranteed drop rates isn't all that desirable by the developers then perhaps during these event times purple level HE encounter and raid boss fights spawn more rapidly say just a few minutes after being beaten as opposed to after an hour or whatever it is.

I bet if you take a poll one of these options will be very sought after and I think it might be fairly easy to implement although i'm not a programmer so I don't know but since these events are in place for other aspects of the game it shouldn't be hard to work in IWD/MOD3 events into this mix.
  • qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I can't get past the fact that Neverwinter might have been best in market as a dungeon crawling group game, but as a zerg fest its a pretty cheesy game. I just don't understand why they are not emphasizing epic dungeons and new epic dungeons when it is really the thing that makes Neverwinter special.

It would be like an upscale italian restaurant suddenly having a bad chinese food dish on the corner of its menu. This is about branding and and being good at something. Neverwinter is *good* at dungeon crawls. It is not a random free to play title that you just play cause it is free. It is actually a really good dungeon crawl game that you play because its fun, but these zerg fest... They arn't good. They are "meh". Instead of fixing it they should notice what Neverwinter does well and emphasize it. That to me is dungeon crawls.
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Lower Instance Max player to 25.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    OR.. they could just change it , so if you are there with at least 50% less you get a token , 100 tokens and you can get the equipment or something like that. Ive been over 20 Hes, some RIGHT at the start , getting the 150 or whatever it is but no BI equipment. Its depressing, Ive actually stopped caring or running to them. Its too much of a random giveaway and not enough of a earned benefit for participating.

I keep hearing that you have to top charts or something, Ive done beholder as like the ONLY healer and got nothing but junk either. So I still think its just random, you show up and do anything and you get into the pool of the 1% giveaway. Just utter depressing!

I haven't bought any of the BI equipment, if I cant ever win the the other two pieces, whats the point? Ill do the dailies to get my boons and open up the crafting tiers.

I like the IWD per se, just dont like this part of it at all!
  • doriangreighdoriangreigh Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 707 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    OR.. they could just change it , so if you are there with at least 50% less you get a token , 100 tokens and you can get the equipment or something like that. Ive been over 20 Hes, some RIGHT at the start , getting the 150 or whatever it is but no BI equipment. Its depressing, Ive actually stopped caring or running to them. Its too much of a random giveaway and not enough of a earned benefit for participating.

I keep hearing that you have to top charts or something, Ive done beholder as like the ONLY healer and got nothing but junk either. So I still think its just random, you show up and do anything and you get into the pool of the 1% giveaway. Just utter depressing!

I haven't bought any of the BI equipment, if I cant ever win the the other two pieces, whats the point? Ill do the dailies to get my boons and open up the crafting tiers.

I like the IWD per se, just dont like this part of it at all!

It seems from people I talk to in my guild and read in forums contribution matters to an extent but overall its pretty random. Supposedly people are getting top tier rewards just have rode past an HE suggesting that really there isn't a contribution but more of a total random determination as to what tier of gear you will get. In some respects that means if you grind out all the low level HE that only 2-3 people can do then you will actually increase your chances of getting the BI gear drops as you are doing more than just farming the beholder and remorhaz. Ideally you do them all as much as you can, think of it like trying to win a lottery, the more times you get a ticket the higher your odds go of getting a reward. People doing low heroics taht spawn constantly all over the map should have a good chance of getting BI drops than if you just farmed the beholder 1 - 3 times a day that you can find them. Granted the chance from those are higher but the spawn rates are low and frankly there are so mnay people hunting them its hard to just log in and find one up and when you do so many people are hitting it that you might have a better chance at a BI reward by farming low level ones.

This is all of course my opinion and speculation as I know nothing how the drops work and frankly disagree with how they work. I think BI gloves should only drop in Icewind Pass and the BI main hand should only drop in Dwarven Valley.