test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Apocs New Dungeon Delve Project

apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Foundry Quest Database

Hello all,

I have been taking a break from CH3 for Ravenloft as text is the bane of my existence, I enjoy the creation of the maps a lot more. So, that being said I have given my brain a break from the wonderful world of text and have begun finishing out a new Dungeon which will be focused on 2-3 players. As I know after over a year and hundreds of posts we still do not have true bosses, I will do my best to make the "mock" boss encounters memorable and fun.

I figured I would show off a few pics of the upcoming Dungeon set in the Ice Wind Dale area.

As wih all of my maps there are no prefabs here this was all done on a normal plane map, so hopfully this will also inspire others with creating!
I still have not come up with a name yet... and I'm still taking ideas for the encounters that inhabit the ruins so suggestions and ideas are welcome!

screenshot_2014-05-25-08-12-28_zps2c725a2d.jpg
The photo above shows a frozen lake which actually is about 150ft deep with all sorts of broken pieces that have eroded from the ruins frozen in time and space in their watery tomb. The fun part about this frozen over area is that players slip and slide across it as they fight the creatures lurking within.

screenshot_2014-05-25-08-11-51_zpsb238e11f.jpg
As shown above, there are many long hallways and areas where the walls have crumbled giving way to great views of the frozen landscape that surround the ruins.
screenshot_2014-05-25-08-15-00_zps57c0af60.jpg
Above shows a long stair case descending down to a boss encounter, nature has started to take back this old fortress where roots and branches have pushed thier way though the loosening stone work.

screenshot_2014-05-25-08-14-05_zps1a190010.jpg
Here is a shot to see just how far up in the mountain area the ruins are nestled, the neat thing that I can't show in this picture is just how far down below the player the next floor is with baddies walking around aimlessly, watch out on the ledge because that fall is a dusey!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
Ravenloft
Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
Post edited by apocrs1980 on

Comments

• Options
    apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And one more screenie

screenshot_2014-05-25-08-11-24_zps8a4fdf41.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bah and ive been refreshing the subscription tab waiting for 3rd part...

...mostly because of the maps as u r one of rly few actually building them and obviously spending quite a time on it (also one of few i ever gave 5 stars without a second thought).

Also if u could spend some time with puzzles and non-linear parts, thx XD. Waiting for it, hope u r not as indecisive and lazy/lost enthusiasm as me.
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks for the feedback maegmaag,

Sorry about the delay in chapter 3 >.< would be much different if I was actually doing this for work hehe.
    Interesting idea with the puzzles, what sort of puzzles were you thinking about? what kind of puzzles would you like to see in a dungeon delv?
    I'm keeping in mind that they are not too complex as most people go into a dungeon just to smash stuff.

On the linear part, there isn't much I am able to do to get away form that just the way the foundry system is set up, I think having branching paths added to the foundry would fix this as you can choose to go to different areas to complete the dungeon, but we will have to wait on Cryptic for that.

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Looking forward to trying it.

For the bosses, you may want to check out this thread.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?629911-Orangefiree-s-guide-to-unique-bosses
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow, it's looking amazing so far, you really started it from scratch in a blank plain map? awesome!
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    maegmaagmaegmaag Member Posts: 332 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    "Boss" encounter wont happen unless we get some power over encoutners (stats OR powers set at least, both in better case, that and copies of existing bosses from HEs or dungeons in a finally good foundry update case or even-very-strict-and-condition nr-limited script bindings in the best case).

I can take u thru my "wonder if twill be ever even half finished" foundry (will be a year since i started to making it, thats why i mentioned enthusiasm and laziness and indecisiveness, whatever words are proper english or ought i to use) and describe some thoughts flows if u have an hour. Definitely not meant for the majority.

No timers pls till they r not properly implemented. I know what u can do, let the encounter run its way to the PC from the right distance but, no timers. Its unreliable and annoyin unless its simple 1sec fall-into-death volume one.

Anyway u r experienced and good enough in the dungeon/level design and the foundry so take ur time and keep us up to date!
    dAuGVxU.png
    A bit nosy NW-DKG7E99X6
    "Hardcore" exploration journey and dungeon crawl. Read its description prior to trying it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks all,

and right on, yea still milling over the boss bit...the boss rooms will be a completely separate map so if they day ever does come for boss encounters I won't have to worry so much about changing up a room.
    I have taken your puzzle idea and added in 3 out of the way and partially hidden pressure plates, not so difficult to stumble upon however, they must be done in the correct order, I'm messing around with this some more. But it activates a magic release on the final door, I think I'm going to go with Frost goblins, Trolls, and wolves.
    with a few rimefire golems sprinkled in.

This should be 3 maps wide in all with 3 separate boss rooms, I have learned from Cragsteep that 3 map span is about all that people are willing to put up with lol.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    bardaaronbardaaron Member Posts: 545 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This looks awesome! Now, you said it's set in the Icewind Dale area; does that mean characters will have to be lvl 60 to get to it? Does it start from that adventure zone, or can you get to it from anywhere?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    bardaaron wrote: »
    This looks awesome! Now, you said it's set in the Icewind Dale area; does that mean characters will have to be lvl 60 to get to it? Does it start from that adventure zone, or can you get to it from anywhere?

It will be set in Ice Wind Dale and you can travel to it from the world map, however you can play it at any level in any group size. I'm adjusting the encounters for 2-3 2 being a challenge, and 3 being a good dungeon romp. soloing is possible but it may be very challenging for some classes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Thanks everyone for helping me run this, breaking the map, and giving crucial feed back weather it be fun or not so fun all of this really helps! I'll be sure to make a ending credit stone in the dungeon once all is said and done :)

ALPHA TESTERS:

@swip4
    @Kimbriel
    @eskarine
    @Pawelke
    @Zharvosa
    @Orangefiree
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No problem man, testing was tons of fun, as was jumping into random holes and being unable to get out ;P

Maps look beautiful and I am always up for testing (and breaking) more of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    eskarine wrote: »
    No problem man, testing was tons of fun, as was jumping into random holes and being unable to get out ;P

Maps look beautiful and I am always up for testing (and breaking) more of them.

Thanks esk I appreciate you being so thorough in finding the holes 

The next map I am working on is a treck through the montains to reach the ruins, I am taking ideas for what everyone would like to see on the journey through the mountain. So far you walk through a hollowed out secton of the mountainside over seeing a frozen lake as well as crossing a series of bridges to get to the ruins, it should be eventful and fun I hope.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hey all,

Quick update, I plan to have the 2nd map close to finished this weekend and will be inviting players to help me test out the map and find holes, if your interested please send me a friend invite in game and a quick in game mail or post here on this page and I'll get in touch with you. I hope to have more pictures out to share soon.

take care and happy Foundrying.

~Apoc
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    eskarineeskarine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I'm up for more testing at Sunday - during Saturday I'll be at work on my crappy laptop with lowest possible settings, so testing that day is out of the question.

But as always, I'm game. Gotta find all of them weird places to get stuck in ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    eskarine wrote: »
    I'm up for more testing at Sunday - during Saturday I'll be at work on my crappy laptop with lowest possible settings, so testing that day is out of the question.

But as always, I'm game. Gotta find all of them weird places to get stuck in ;)

No prob Eskarine, thanks for helping out :)
    I am working today as well so I'm going to try and get the map polished off tonight hopefully.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    And here are a few photos of the next map I will be putting out for play test enjoy!
    screenshot_2014-05-31-19-15-03_zpscd39cfb0.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-31-19-15-53_zps184854ff.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-31-19-17-18_zpse1074226.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-31-19-14-14_zpsd778b7cf.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft