test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Community ideas for GF changes

lamminatbodenlamminatboden Member Posts: 51 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hi,

there was recently a post by a system designer in which he stated that they are looking into GF changes after the release of mod3. Now they just started with that, so I could take a while, but they are defintely working on this. There are people who like their GFs, and people who think GFs are way too weak. But most of them agree, that changes to the GF wouldn't be a bad thing. Since I believe the designer are listening to the community, now is the perfect time to inspire them with our ideas for GF changes.

The idea of this thread is therefore to write short and precise bullet points of what you personally think would be the best changes for the GF class. Please do not discuss anything in this thread, because I am sure the shorter and more information packed it is, the more attention it will get from the designers (also, we all know the how the standard discussion about GFs look like: the game is not designed to tank anything, at high GS you want maximum clearing speed of dungeons etc etc). If you think this thread is a stupid idea, please keep it to yourself or you are welcome to open another thread and discuss it there. I also recommend that only people with a lot of GF experience (some months of GF play over all the content, from level 1 to 60 and up to end game dungeons) post here, but anyone is welcome to share their ideas. I repeat:

Please do not discuss anything in this thread, just post your ideas so we can give the designers an information packed easy to read thread with the communities ideas.

For example your post could look something like this:

PvE:
- change Guard mechanics so that GF can block more sustained damage from small sources (they said they are already working on this, but it still is my favorite change)
- replace Knee Breaker with an AoE encounter that pulls mobs in and knocks them prone/stuns them in the process
- increase/remove caps for AoE abilities (or partly introduce them for other classes in certain abilities)
- increase damage debuff for (enhanced) marked targets (they said they are already thinking about increasing the GFs buff abilities)

PvP:
- not an expert here, so can't say anything about it
Post edited by lamminatboden on

Comments

• Options
    saintinukisaintinuki Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Hmm, I think I like this idea. What always bugged me was the fact, that conqueror always seemed so much better (I tried multiple feat paths). So here are my ideas:

PvE:
    - change Guard mechanics so that GF can block more sustained damage from small sources (I think this is a good thing as well, tanking adds is just so much more fun than tanking the boss)
    - give Into the Fray a small damage buff and increase the bonus of its feat to make up for Reckless Attacker
    - Buff the last feat of the protector feat path (make it something with DR) so it makes up for Reckless Attacker

PvP:
    - not a pvp player either
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Animations are stupidly long, tab ability is a complete joke compared to the GWF, Fighters Recovery should give cc immunity while doing damage to heal as Villains menace does damage and immunity.

Gear versatility is ridiculous, no way to self boost crit like all other classes, Strength should give more AC, CO should give superior HP more then any class in the game easily obtained.

GF needs some synergy with other classes, a fun factor as charge, block, step aside, hit block, step aside sucks!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Class party bonus: Having a GF in your party should immediately give the party 15% of the GFs defensive stat. TRs can boost party crit, CWs can boost party stats as well, why not give the GF a useful party buff?

Guard Meter: Set a floor limit to what can damage it. At-wills should not damage the shield at all, so anything hitting below 2000 - 3000 should be ignored. I'd also like to be able to move while blocking, so when pressing Shift the shield should be raised but you maintain your run speed. Infantry could run with their shields raised, so I don't know why GFs have to be reduced to ponderous ice-bergs. I can see the PVP balance risks of improving the shield though. Make it stronger and we'll have everyone crying in PVP that it takes forever to expose a GF.

Threat generation: Every single one of the GFs offensive at-wills and encounters should have their threat increased above that of any other class' and the GFs built-in threat should be increased.

Tab feature: It is better now. I think I am okay with the Tab feature. I was all for drastically altering it but doing so will likely make a number of encounters redundant.

Encounter revisions:
    Enforced Threat - Uncapped hard taunt that also gives the GF damage and CC immunity for the length of the power. Pretty much Unstoppable on steroids and befitting of a tank. If your CWs/DC/HR are having aggro problems hitting this in their vicinity should immediately pull aggro off of them, regardless of the damage they are putting out, and allow you to take the damage.
    Into the Fray - For every point in this the GF's damage output should be increased by 10%, so 30% after three points.

GFs could pop the above two in conjunction and became quite a valuable asset in a sea of red.

Animation speeds: The recent buffs to Anvil of Doom and Griffon's Wrath were fantastic, but a lot of our powers and dailies allow our enemies enough time to prone and interrupt us. I'm talking having to hit buttons multiple times in a dungeon before I can get a power off because I'm getting stunned, proned or interrupted. I know we wear heavy armour so we can't move like a GWF in Unstoppable, but the game is so fast paced that we need a little help in getting things off.

Gear: Quite simply put, our options are rubbish. You know there is a problem when Cryptic has had to nerf TWO tier 1 sets because they were overused and overpowered for their level. The GFs gear needs to be diversified. Our gear stacks a lot of defense allowing us to very easily reach a point of diminishing returns, so we have wasted stats dumped into defense. Example; my four-piece Timeless only offers <3% less damage resistance when compared to my four-piece Grand Regent set, yet Grand Regent stacks 1000 more defense. I'd much rather see some of that extra 1000 be added to a fifth stat and preferably an offensive stat. The Grand Regent has 0 power, so I'd gladly see some of that defense reduced and moved over to power. Likewise Timeless can have some of its power sacrificed for a fifth stat such as armour penetration or crit.

I believe with the above you could allow the GF to be a true tank as well as allow it to do some more damage.

PS - I know the game does not need a tank because four million trash adds are easily burnt and controlled, but turning the GF into a watered down GWF is pointless, so try and make it tankier and give it better party buffs so the diversity is still there but albeit in a more valuable way.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    laichin1979laichin1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    I think Marked target should give us, only us, a big Crit boost. Like +50% for hard mark and 25% for normal mark. And I don't mean Increase rate by 50% but hard mark gives me 70+ %.

Make us tanking bosses a lot more interesting again. Will also boost our dps big time.

Maybe smaller percentages in pvp
  • Options
    xamuyeesxamuyees Member Posts: 30
    edited May 2014
    Dual wield option for dps paragon...
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think Marked target should give us, only us, a big Crit boost. Like +50% for hard mark and 25% for normal mark. And I don't mean Increase rate by 50% but hard mark gives me 70+ %.

Make us tanking bosses a lot more interesting again. Will also boost our dps big time.

Maybe smaller percentages in pvp

I think I would rather the Marked Target give us xx% lifesteal automatically giving the GF extra threat and hp regen.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    damanhur89damanhur89 Member Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Awesome idea mate.

PVE:
    - GF cleave should receive damage buff so to make it move viable in PVE combats.
    - Knee breaker can be removed and switched with a power that is similar to GWF "come and get it" or a CW " singularity". The GF should get the aggro, control adds. This skill should not make damage, and it should put the mark of the tab on every enemy + increase damage on the following skill used by 20-25%.
    - damage resistance should be increased of 5% at least, so that the average GF could have a resistance between 49% and 54%.
    - Iron warrior description should be improved and explain about the increased damage resistance the pg gain after the activation of this power

PvP:
    - Tide of iron should receive further buff for guard gain +15%, so to make it the wisest choice in PVP.
    - if damage resistance cannot be increased, then GF should receive at least +7.5% on tenacity (pvp) charateristics. the fact that every class get the same pvp resistance makes tenacity useless.
    - anvil of doom damage could be defuffed further for 10%, but when killing a foe with it, cooldowns should be reduced of 2.5 seconds on all skills.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Threat is actually fine if you're a Conqueror and I'm sure a Tactician is also doing well. Dunno for Protector.

I think the group should benefit from tanking beyond not being attacked themselves. Maybe all mobs attacking or marked by the GF automatically grant CA. With all the options of boosting CA damage, this could be a viable group spec. Also the GF should not only generate thread with his own damage, but also with the damage he takes and blocks. Meaning that X% of the taken/blocked damage counts towards threat.

Another option I see is that threat generation by other members of the party is reduced by X% if the mob is currently attacking the GF or even 1-X% is (additionally) credited to the GF.

Thirdly I never quite understood why the GF has no power to temporarily boost its DR. We have something for +dmg and control immunity and for healing, so a third power to boost DR would be complementary. You could pull, boost DR, build AP while tanking and follow up with more DPS or healing depending on the situation.

Bottom line is, I think minor tweaks could already do the trick. With something in the range of what I posted, not only would the GF be a more wanted group member, but people would actually want the GF to tank because they would benefit from deceased threat and more damage.
  • Options
    kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    PvE : Change nothing.

GF have proven to be extremely effective in the new heroic encounters where control is useless compared to threat. Design Tier 3 to be more like this and change nothing about the GF.

PvP : Change nothing.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    [QUOTE=lamminatboden;7902221

PvE:
    - change Guard mechanics so that GF can block more sustained damage from small sources (they said they are already working on this, but it still is my favorite change)[/QUOTE]

Pointless. Look when there are small attacks just don't use the shield. GF defence is high enough that you can pretty much ignore it. Proper guard implimentation means using the shield only in certain circumstance. Can you simply walk away? If yes do so. If no: is it a really big hit? If yes then shield. If no: does it CC? If no take the hit if yes raise shield. This simple logic chain will result in practically never losing your guard meter.
  • Options
    laichin1979laichin1979 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 50
    edited May 2014
    I suggested a buff vs marked targets before ie being Crit boost, but seeing other ppl ask for different buffs, maybe it would be a good idea to make the buff paragon dependent and linked to number of marked targets. This would add complete new element to the GF play. Would also mean different paragon paths get strengthened in their own way.

Example:

Conq: Power linked to number of marked /Crit
    Protector: Regen linked to number of marked / Power
    Tactician: Recovery linked to number of marked / Deflect
  • Options
    snappa0126snappa0126 Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2014
    This is about the 100th post about tweaking GF's I have seen in the last 3 months. The moderators will delete it just like all the other posts explaining what tweaks GF's need to be a competitive class in Neverwinter.
    HAMSTER, level 60 GF, "Bloodthirsty" since Mod 2
    Anarchist, level 60 CW
    Arsenic,
    level 60 TR
    Pluck Yew, level 60 HR
    Therapissed,
    level 60 DC
  • Options
    lamminatbodenlamminatboden Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    snappa0126 wrote: »
    This is about the 100th post about tweaking GF's I have seen in the last 3 months. The moderators will delete it just like all the other posts explaining what tweaks GF's need to be a competitive class in Neverwinter.
    If you think this thread is a stupid idea, please keep it to yourself or you are welcome to open another thread and discuss it there.

• Options
    tonyswutonyswu Member Posts: 223 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    1. Add a pull effect to Enforced Threat. All targets effected by the skill are pulled to the front of the GF, very much like how Come and get it works.

2. Change shield mechanism so that it doesn't get eaten up by small damage.

3. Add knock down effect to Villain's Menace, like avalanche.

4. Defense oriented GF gear should increase HP pool by a margin of at least 30% more.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    snappa0126 wrote: »

If you find this thread so useless that we should all discuss something else, then perhaps you might do the same and go somewhere else. If not, shut the heck up and keep your negativity to urself.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    query523 wrote: »
    Pointless. Look when there are small attacks just don't use the shield. GF defence is high enough that you can pretty much ignore it. Proper guard implimentation means using the shield only in certain circumstance. Can you simply walk away? If yes do so. If no: is it a really big hit? If yes then shield. If no: does it CC? If no take the hit if yes raise shield. This simple logic chain will result in practically never losing your guard meter.

In PvE, I disagree. I keep my shield up 95% of the time in PvE, regardless of how big the damage is.
  • Options
    killernorekillernore Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    the Gf need more CC abilitys for pve like singularity

the defense needs to be improved ... omg I think it's the stats more sucks in the game. the GF is most slow class and have alot def almost give more chance to keep alive....

more originality and utility for paragon feath ... protector path no have one feath to improved Kigth valor or iron warrior...FAIL ... martial mastery can be better like tactics for combat advance, improve deflect chance, recovery, etc

guard need to be improved too...

and rework for useles feath/daily/eunconters/etc.... Enduring Warrior ... if you have low dmg and poor aoe skill when you kill a good numbers of enemy´s to be useful?

also need hp boost, betters stats and bonus for armor set
    (Example KC t1 set bonus vs HG t2 bonus, why t1 is better tham t2 and t2 bonus activate whit crit ? really...no need think much for get a better bonus set)
  • Options
    gorguts99gorguts99 Member Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    I sincerely suggest any newcomers to not make a GF as their first toon. We are the underdog and less powerful character.

Do you want to know what GFs got since the beta? To make a quick resume, an increased range from lunging strike and a DPS nerf to one of our only viable skill '' frontline surge '' I mean let's face the truth, only noobs don't use Lunging strike/Bull Charge/ Frontline Surge in PvP.

The funniest part about the frontline surge nerf is it was was intended for the GWFs but since we share the same skills we got also got nerfed.

I mean my skills bar is the same as the first day of beta, nothing has ever changed or evolved for us.

They ****ed up this toon and they don't know what to do anymore. GWFs, TRs and HRs have seen more changes in the last module than the GF since the beta. This game won't ever be balanced but I'll continue to play my GF because when you're good with it it's because you are skilled. It's enough to gratifiate me through the disadvantages of imbalance seeing by other characters.
  • Options
    pyrexxxxxpyrexxxxx Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Animations are stupidly long

I totally agree on that. While i do some pvp and think the role of a gf is mainly denying points and/or gain time for your teammates while soaking dmg i lack the ability to tank adequately, because of stun/prone/whatever when i see my guard is low. This is caused by the mentioned cast time. I am less experienced compared to other players (and SM, not IV), but especially when u need the time for steel defense to rebuild your shield u can not do any other encounters than KV (no cast time). F.e. if u need to cast Enforced Threat to aggro new mobs while tanking others i dont know how i should survive it without steel defense up.
    Long story short: GF isnt easy, and i like it (at least the way i play it). But the cast time on certain encounters just kill me.

PS: so whats the story behind Iron Warrior? U either want to cast it when u need the extra hp/shield sustain, there is a risk of being killed, or u need the extra threat. Casting 1 sec while there is the risk of being killed is, erm, stupid.
  • Options
    lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've already made a huge thread about my suggestions for the GF. Consinder that my post in here lol.
  • Options
    badxideasbadxideas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 42
    edited May 2014
    I would like to see new content that added encounters for which teams would prefer the company of GFs as opposed to DPS DPS DPS DPS Healer combo.

I would love it if the animation for enforced threat were shortened. In the time it takes me to stomp my foot, the CW and HR can be over run (which can be funny to watch but...) and take a ton of damage. At least if the animation has to be so long, let the taunt take place when the animation starts and the damage at the end or something.

I can think of a ton of other things, but other people's ideas are right on here i think.
    Amillion Bucks L60 obsolete GF
    Amillion Dollars L60 'easy mode' GWF
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    xamuyees wrote: »
    Dual wield option for dps paragon...

That would be so incredibly sweet. I can see still having a block meter (the other weapon) but it would be much smaller.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I just want to see tab reworked, even within the context of "marking". Something like:

Marked target stays visible to GF for duration of mark, which would effectively cause TR's to be unstealthable to TR's when marked. Also, decreased target DR, increased damage to marked target and so on...
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited May 2014
    The hr's tab raises an idea: a switching between offensive and defensive abilities like knights valor, into the fray, Iron Warrior on defensive side and moves like griffons wrath, frontline surge/flourish, enforced threat etc on the offensive side.

Could make them slottable only on thier side and switchable just by hitting tab. It would make GF more useful for tanking while still allowing the ability to use the attacks that make GF damage well, without having to sacrifice the abilities that make the gf able to manage aggro or protecting allies just make mark an ability to slot on the defensive side.