test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

For those of us who are constantly crashing...

tampabaytktampabaytk Member Posts: 37 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
What Video card are you using?

I am using NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

Like most of the other threads that I have read, I have never had a problem before Mod3 but now I can't stay logged in more than a few minutes. Haven't had the oppurtunity to experience Mod 3 other than to watch my wife play on her computer. My support ticket from the 13th hasn't had a response and we haven't had any acknowledgement in the forums that they know that its a known issue and are working on it.

So perhaps a compilation thread from us that are unable to play can help get this solved sooner rather than later, the weekend is here and I sure would like to check out the new content. Otherwise it will be a Wildstar weekend.
Post edited by tampabaytk on

Comments

• delbi11867delbi11867 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    tampabaytk wrote: »
    What Video card are you using?

I am using NVIDIA GeForce GT 640

Like most of the other threads that I have read, I have never had a problem before Mod3 but now I can't stay logged in more than a few minutes. Haven't had the oppurtunity to experience Mod 3 other than to watch my wife play on her computer. My support ticket from the 13th hasn't had a response and we haven't had any acknowledgement in the forums that they know that its a known issue and are working on it.

So perhaps a compilation thread from us that are unable to play can help get this solved sooner rather than later, the weekend is here and I sure would like to check out the new content. Otherwise it will be a Wildstar weekend.

My friend had same problem, after few days of searching and trying things we found what his problem was.
    in game it didnt recognise a sound card, he changed his playback divice in windows then was there in game. no more crashes :)
  • kalikatyberakalikatybera Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have the same problems and I've tried everything I can think of, including filing a support ticket which thus far has not had any solutions that worked.
    I'm using an AMD Radeon HD 6700, not Nvidia.
  • jsmurfedjsmurfed Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 39
    edited May 2014
    delbi11867 wrote: »
    My friend had same problem, after few days of searching and trying things we found what his problem was.
    in game it didnt recognise a sound card, he changed his playback divice in windows then was there in game. no more crashes :)

Trouble is that I'm not using a sound card, just the onboard audio chipset...

If you mean sound output device, then I've either got a USB stereo or USB headset... I'll try switching, but I don't have high hopes :)

Also for the OP, I'm running a GTX760
    Killing orcs is like washing a pig. Turn your back for a second and the filth is back...

The good thing about having three characters at max gives me a choice on how much butt I want to kick. For balls-to-the-wall murder, I go with the Great Weapon Fighter. The Wizard is the one that runs around laughing maniacally yelling "Catch me if you can", while the Guardian Fighter flips you off and is all like "Come at me, bro"
  • xblackychan93xxblackychan93x Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have been on the forums everyday for 4days now and still nothing has happened yesterday I thought they were taking action to help the crash errors but still nothing I have decided to start playing a new game and decided the time I have spent on this game is now wasted because the producers of the game cannot have a release without something going wrong and in this case Mod3 in my own personal opinion has ruined this game for a lot of other players too. I will continue to check forums for a answer to the crashes but until it is fixed I am not happy with this game like I was a week ago.
  • tampabaytktampabaytk Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I consdier myself a pretty easy going guy, I understand things happen but I like to be kept in the loop. Tell me there is a problem and you're doing everything you can to get it fixed. But 3 days and 0 response is just bad customer service imo. My wife is more upset about this then I am atm, we prefer when we can play together but everyday she is getting further ahead of me and with no response from the devs I too will probably put this game on the shelf so to speak and find something else. Its a shame too because I really like this game and have put a fair bit of real life money into it but if I can't play not much of a point to it then.
  • gertrude4lifegertrude4life Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My family has always had problems with the connection, but it wasn't this frequent before the update. Both computers have ATI Radeon 3650HD and onboard Realtek chipset audio. I also submitted a ticket because I thought maybe the game itself was having a problem with two computers from the same IP being logged in on different accounts, so there are several reasons why there might be a conflict.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    All I know is that the game was perfectly playable the day before module 3 went live and now it is a absolute mess , not my job to start searching what graphic card I'm using and other stuff , the game played perfectly with no lag or crashing up until the module 3 patch and now it doesn't ,its absolute lagfest and I crashed during Remoraz HE , whoever coded the new graphic settings obviously overstepped the boundries of their abilities and made the game nigh on unplayable for a fair number of people.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
    edited May 2014
    I consdier myself a pretty easy going guy, I understand things happen but I like to be kept in the loop. Tell me there is a problem and you're doing everything you can to get it fixed. But 3 days and 0 response is just bad customer service imo. My wife is more upset about this then I am atm, we prefer when we can play together but everyday she is getting further ahead of me and with no response from the devs I too will probably put this game on the shelf so to speak and find something else. Its a shame too because I really like this game and have put a fair bit of real life money into it but if I can't play not much of a point to it then.

I agree and its sad to not have heard anything from anyone in regards to the issue its like they ignore until we get angry and go off enough on the forums, but by the time they fix it, i'm afraid my interest will be elsewhere, and like you said I also enjoy playing the game and them not doing anything about it is making it easier to make my decision. :/
    edited May 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    all i know is that the game was perfectly playable the day before module 3 went live and now it is a absolute mess , not my job to start searching what graphic card i'm using and other stuff , the game played perfectly with no lag or crashing up until the module 3 patch and now it doesn't ,its absolute lagfest and i crashed during remoraz he , whoever coded the new graphic settings obviously overstepped the boundries of their abilities and made the game nigh on unplayable for a fair number of people.

exactly...
    edited May 2014
    Still nothing......
    edited May 2014
    a glimmer of hope, I got a response to my support ticket...Asking for system info and the DxDiag file.
    edited May 2014
    I guess that is something I am trying to reinstall and gonna update drivers and see if anything changes I will keep you posted.
    edited May 2014
    Don't get your hopes up, I sent my DxDiag to tech support a day and a half ago and all I got was "we're looking into it" and haven't heard a thing since. Already did a clean install and updated my drivers among many other things, still no luck.
    edited May 2014
    Wildstar is still in open beta this weekend, anyone want to go play :D
    edited May 2014
    I just updated drives re-installed and still nothing if anything I think it made it worse since now I'm not able to even get to "Cryptic" Loading Screen. If any GM see's this please give us some feedback we've been waiting patiently :)
    edited May 2014
    Well the info they requested has been reviewed, They suggested I make a new windows profile and do a fresh Install of the game...done & done...no change, still crashing to desktop. All this to say it may be my ISP. Don't know how that is possible considering my wife has no issues and If I am on her computer I have no issues, we have the same ISP. I have changed the modem and switched our ethernet ports on the modem.

e/ throwsinthetowel
  • justagirlljustagirll Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This worked for us! Took out the wiresless headset settings and no more crashes...It won't recognize the speakers yet but finally able to play again, thank you so much!!! :D
    delbi11867 wrote: »
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    A couple suggestions for those that have been crashing.

1. Delete your .hogg files. They are in your /pigg folder. (not kidding!)
    2. Re-patch. (the .hogg files have the patch info.)
    3. Make sure your graphics drivers are updated.
    4. If you have an nVidia graphics card, please get nVidia GeForce Experience.
    5. After patching, start Neverwinter in SafeMode.

If you can get to the character selection screen, alt-tab out, run nVidia GeForce Experience. It will detect your optimal graphic settings, but won't optimize them. You will need to do this manually. The only things I had issues with here were the draw distances, as Cryptic changed those from sliders to drop menus.

After getting your graphics settings as optimal as possible, attempt to log in.

If you don't have nVidia, try to log on anyway, in safe mode after doing the other steps.

Observe results.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
    edited May 2014
    justagirll wrote: »
    This worked for us! Took out the wiresless headset settings and no more crashes...It won't recognize the speakers yet but finally able to play again, thank you so much!!! :D

This seems to have worked for me as well...Ran the artifact quest crash free :D
  • delbi11867delbi11867 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This seems to have worked for me as well...Ran the artifact quest crash free :D

glad i could help a couple more fix thier problem :)
    edited May 2014
    Same here thanks wish I would of seen this sooner I normally have my volume turned down when I play anyways.
    edited May 2014
    Okay, the audio settings didn't fix my problem. However, my husband may have figured it out. He disabled the "On-Demand Patching" option in the options tab of the loader. And so far I've been playing for much longer than I ever was able to before, so... try that if you're still having crashes!
  • r1ot123r1ot123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I just want to mention that before the Mod 3 expansion/patch; I think I've crashed to desktop maybe once or twice, ever since the game came out on Steam. But since the patch, I've crashed 5-6 times; 5 of those times while doing the Phantasmal Fortress Lair in Dread Ring. Nothing has changed hardware or software wise on my system; so I think something might be off with the game since the patch. I will say that when loading into the Lair, the game patched itself for a good 10 seconds, so something was changed recently.
  • rmvictorrmvictor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    After trying all of the above with no results, i found out that if u can get to the character selection panel, the only solution is not entering in any of the Icewind zones.
  • soulpathwalkersoulpathwalker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Found some details that may help:

1.Crashed with Afterglow Universal Wireless Gaming Headset (Generic USB Audio)
    More sounds at once means higher crash chance, being in the middle of battle was almost a guaranteed crash.

2.Does not crash when I disabled all playback devices.

3.Does not crash when I used the audio output jack (Realtek High Definition Audio).

Might be good to find out which audio device everyone who's crashing is using.
  • rmvictorrmvictor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    This is how I fixed it:
    -I installed a fresh new copy of windows, on 64 bits;
    -I installed and patched an old copy of the game.

And no more crashes.
  • revolreebrevolreeb Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2014
    First Time I played the new mod it crashed so hard my computer got stuck in a loop trying to post.
    New re-install of windows and NW, updated all drivers, and installed all windows updates , couldn't play more than 5 min before I crashed.
    I went back to the Nvidia website and used their automatic check drivers option and realized I was running no Java.
    Tried downloading Java many many times and kept getting errors on installation...checked windows updates and nothing available.
    Checking my system info, realized I still had not been given the option in windows update to download sp1 or sp2 for vista.
    Manually downloaded sp1...java installed first time, Nvidia website now showed update on my drivers, installed and game now works flawlessly.