test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CW at-wll Storm Pillar module 3

znudenejznudenej Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Library
So Storm Pillar no longer grants action points out of combat. It is bug or It should be this way? Can't see anything about that in changelog. If it was bug why IBS isn't fixed in same way?
Post edited by znudenej on

Comments

• Options
    mazel76mazel76 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I was wondering that myself. I've also dealt with this a lot from PWE on STO were the dev's will implament changes with out notifying the players. I'm hoping its a bu. I'm sure if we also read the pvp forums and see if peeps are complaining about it begin to op than they changed it. :p
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This was a planned fix, which was mentioned by blues on here a while back. I can't be faffed to search though, those who care should do so :) (The "Dev Tracker" thingy will help)

I would say I am glad, because I hate the noise of people spamming it. Sadly, my fellow players seem to be too dim to notice, and are spamming it as though it might suddenly start working again. Sigh.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Its true that noise was annoying (and now its more fair for MoF CWs) but only use for storm pillar was charging AP, without this utility its absolulety useless at-will. Removing AP gain from this at-will without rework and even not note it in main changelog, thats mess.
    Not saying about that IBS can still give you AP without combat. Thats make me feel like devs don't communicate with each other about class paths, feats and powers.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Good finally , CW's standing about spamming Storm pillar were so annoying even more so in Protectors enclave , especially when you can buy potions quite cheaply(last time I looked ) that fill AP without the player doing a thing.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    izidiusizidius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2014
    Never used it on my alt, hated the sound also.
  • Options
    xxleyanxxxxleyanxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    @znudenej
    I'll have to disagree with you, it's not useless and 'just for charging ap'. Storm pillar is one of my favourite at-wills. I choose it over all the other at will because it's a small aoe and deals decent damage.
    Synnove ~ Full PvE CW
    Emeril ~ PvP HR
  • Options
    reagenlionel1reagenlionel1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    this was done some time before mod 3 hit.

however is Storm Pillar still bugged that if the main pillar crits the smaller pillars dont crit like thier supposed to?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    xxleyanxx wrote: »
    @znudenej
    I'll have to disagree with you, it's not useless and 'just for charging ap'. Storm pillar is one of my favourite at-wills. I choose it over all the other at will because it's a small aoe and deals decent damage.

You can count it or use advanced combat tracker to see that Storm Pillar is extremly uneffective as at-will on aoe, its not even worth time to cast it against group of mobs before combat. Its not my opinion, its a fact. Chilling Cloud performs much better, provides chill => scales with MoF, heroic feats, bitter cold from oppressor feats and you can even improve it with thaum feats to do more dmg. So only good thing about Storm Pillar was AP gain out of combat.
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    xxleyanxx wrote: »
    @znudenej

It really isn't, unless it has been buffed massively in mod 3. It's simply dreadful, compared to Chilling Cloud. Literally, its only value was to build AP and irritate everyone around you. Good CWs of any spec did not use it.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    this was done some time before mod 3 hit.

however is Storm Pillar still bugged that if the main pillar crits the smaller pillars dont crit like thier supposed to?

It can be, checked few last patchnotes and nothing, maybe I'm blind or it was mentioned somewhere else.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kattefjaes wrote: »
    It really isn't, unless it has been buffed massively in mod 3. It's simply dreadful, compared to Chilling Cloud. Literally, its only value was to build AP and irritate everyone around you. Good CWs of any spec did not use it.

This,

While testing this over on Preview it was claimed to have been "buffed" prior. And while the damage did increase, its still not even CLOSE to the other At Wills enough to even be used. This power would have been situational in the first place, I attempted to incorporate this into a build over there and get use out of it, however the reality is, it still did a lot less damage than Magic Missile and had none of the utility of Chill Cloud.

It had neither enough damage to be an option... nor enough utility to be used for anything else. Even when feated properly to increase the damage its still nothing compared to the others either in terms of procing our effects, OR damage.

I have seen people claim the damage is higher with it. But in my direct testing Magic Missile outstrips it in that respect, and Chilling Cloud outstrips it in utility.

This is excerbated by the fact CWs rarely get much use out of At Will powers anyway as we're generally using All Encounter powers anyway.

The Devs attempted to "fix" it... to be more competetive... while removing the component that allows you to bump your AP up while not in combat.

Unfortunately they failed on all accounts... and just broke it completely instead.

In order for THIS At Will to actually get used... due to its lack of Utility and Procs...

It would need to do a good 5000 damage on the three second charge and 2500 damage to targets in the AoE.

What it does at a HIGH 16k Gear Score with full R10s and Perfect Vorp is...

..... approximately 2500 base damage with the potential of another DoT of 250 for 3 ticks on the secondary targets.

As to where a full round of Magic Missiles will Proc all your passives and do approximately 3400 damage after 3 seconds. So yeah this one was a total fail as a "restructure" by the Devs.

Now its not even partially competetive with other At Wills.... luckily we don't use those much anyway.
  • Options
    gubicielgubiciel Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've never used it, because I find no need of doing this and I hate the noise it makes.
  • Options
    mazel76mazel76 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I will say it was extremely annoying to see and listen too anywhere but, I liked it for the AP build. All the devs had to do was fix the visual/sound effect!(please do it anyway!) I hope there not going to mess this game up like they did in STO. I'm a lifetime member and left that game flat!!!
  • Options
    hexanna22hexanna22 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I use it in pvp against stealthy rogues--it doesnt bring them out, but it catches them right away when they do decide to make a move, so that I or my partner can see them to prone,/freeze.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited May 2014
    I always thought storm pillar was better maybe not in pvp but its way better in pve it hits good spike damage in aoe: (7-10k crit) something MM can never do. It also refreshes arcane and chill stacks I use it all the time paired with chilling cloud and the feats from taum for both spells: 20% damage increase 6 seconds for hitting more than 2 targets which is easy enough. But I'll probably be told I'm wrong have a nice day.
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Storm Pillar can still boost AP, just not consistently. Most of the time there is no AP gain, but when something procs (crit? EotS, Storm Spell?) AP will rise. Prior to the patch, it was usually a small gain on every cast with an occasional larger gain. Now it seems like the larger gain is still active and producing AP while the normal gain has been done away with.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    davecheesedavecheese Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hexanna22 wrote: »
    I use it in pvp against stealthy rogues--it doesnt bring them out, but it catches them right away when they do decide to make a move, so that I or my partner can see them to prone,/freeze.

Exactly what I do too!
  • Options
    obsydian666obsydian666 Member Posts: 329 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    embarrassing change,Cryptic show that they have us Control Wizards deep in the a.....
    Dear Cryptic, maby next time fix repel, shard or armor penetration? bug list is long and you fix these thing which save my life in pvp, i have no words for your way of thinking.
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    IMO, any At Will that needs to be charged isn't worth the first point put into it...unless it builds AP out of combat. Lucky for me, my CW can fill his AP in less than 2 encounter rotations, and no longer needs this.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    So for clarification. For the people that actually does use storm pillar. Does the storm pillar crit properly now? Aka: large pillar crits, the smaller bolts also crit?
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So for clarification. For the people that actually does use storm pillar. Does the storm pillar crit properly now? Aka: large pillar crits, the smaller bolts also crit?

I do not have it anymore on live as I removed it from my build but... on Preview when I was testing...

Yes actually it does,

The main strike anyway, the smaller bolts do not from what I saw.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I do not have it anymore on live as I removed it from my build but... on Preview when I was testing...

Yes actually it does,

The main strike anyway, the smaller bolts do not from what I saw.

I see then it still doesnt crit properly.
  • Options
    wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Too bad. I would have loved to have a cw hadoken in my rotation.