test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Time for more pvp love

pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
why do the devs care so little about pvp in this game? i think the combat in this game is great, fast paced, and feels good. however outside that pvp is a mess and the speed at which changes/fixes/balance comes is just flat out to slow. why put so much care and love into making this gamne only to ignore pvp like this. it shines through how little they care. it has some of the most stupid class mechs i have ever seen in a game, huge imbalances, p2w elements and im sorry but a total lack of understanding from the devs. The Ten stat has made it worse. im sure i will get the l2p/troll stuff posted. yadda yadda yadda. denial is an odd thing. but u have never played a gam with so much potential to be great that falls so far from being it. and its 100% on the devs lack of intrest/care. posting on the forums would be a big help (that old skool 60 WoW style of 1 dev post per year is as out of date as an elvis clone ona blackpool pier). would be nice ot at least knwo where head is at. the last battle ground i did,2 people left after being chained stuned by 3 gwf (no drs, awful) and the runing joke was if this game even had pvp devs or just a monkey in groucho marx outfit. please dispell this myth.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited May 2014
    You write as if you have a piece of chicken in your mouth , i dont even....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    You write as if you have a piece of chicken in your mouth , i dont even....

LOL.

As for PVP love, they're releasing a module devoted to PVP in 2 days.

There will still be imbalances, but generally it's pretty balanced. Any MMO PVP has it's share of OP classes.
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • lolssi83lolssi83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2014
    And I don't understand why devs bother with pvp in mmorpgs? I mean it can't hope to match the quality of something like Planetside 2, older Battlefields or Red Orchestra. Or is it just swords? :P
    But anyway each to their own.
  • pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    LOL.

As for PVP love, they're releasing a module devoted to PVP in 2 days.

There will still be imbalances, but generally it's pretty balanced. Any MMO PVP has it's share of OP classes.

Other mmos try and balance. this game simply does NOTHING. i have never and i mean never seen devs so lazy in one area of game. why even put it in? its so clear they don't care. its stunning
  • benskix2benskix2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 674 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The game was more balanced in beta when everyone was crying about tene's. It's not that they don't care, there have been plenty of adjustments to try and correct balance issues, but every time they fix one thing they break 2-3 others, so it's best just to keep our mouths shut and enjoy what PVP we have instead of crying until they break the whole damned thing.

If you think this is unbalanced go play some ESO and watch a single dragonknight wipe an entire raid in about 6 seconds.
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    why not try to find counters to said imbalances? they do exist even if they are not to your play style.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
    edited May 2014
    benskix2 wrote: »
    The game was more balanced in beta when everyone was crying about tene's. It's not that they don't care, there have been plenty of adjustments to try and correct balance issues, but every time they fix one thing they break 2-3 others, so it's best just to keep our mouths shut and enjoy what PVP we have instead of crying until they break the whole damned thing.

If you think this is unbalanced go play some ESO and watch a single dragonknight wipe an entire raid in about 6 seconds.

how old is that game? how old is this? huge difference. huge.
  • narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    It's called being commercial and a way to keep the game f2p. It's a well-known fact that PvP brings in more money than PvE. So every MMO dabbles in it. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's awful, sometimes it needs a little work.

Care to back up that statement with some facts? And I mean hard data where I can go look at it. My point is that if PvP brought in more money then PvE every MMO out there would be 90% PvP. These MMO companies are out to make money after all.
    Sweet Water and Light Laughter Till Next We Meet.
    Narayan
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    lolssi83 wrote: »
    And I don't understand why devs bother with pvp in mmorpgs? I mean it can't hope to match the quality of something like Planetside 2, older Battlefields or Red Orchestra. Or is it just swords? :P
    But anyway each to their own.

You realize how many diablo 3 players cried and cried until the Blizzard devs gave in and they got that joke of an arena?
  • forumnamesarelamforumnamesarelam Member Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    I play a lot of PvP.

A LOT.

I find it to be mostly balanced. There are a couple of minor things that I think cause general problems for people, but most of the negative experiences that people have are pretty much what you would expect when you look at the team compositions that the matching system puts out sometimes.

For instance, today I was in a match where there was me (GWF), 2 TR's, a HR and a CW against 2 GWF's 1 GF 1 TR and 1 CW.

Now, that may not seem like that big of a difference between teams, but an experienced PvP player would know that the opposition team has a huge advantage in that match due to the composition of the classes going against each other.

Frankly, I don't think there is a good solution for this other than rolling with your own pre-made, as the matching system seems to constantly put forward a mix of awfully outmatched games (either for or against). I don't think I've won or lost a game by 50 to 100 pts more than once a week and I'm playing several times a day. Most games are blow outs - which signifies to me that there is something really broken with the matching algorithm.

Anyway, I think that "class balance" in PvP is really a red herring at this point. Team composition and effective ranking/matching are probably far bigger/pressing issues.
  • narayansinghnarayansingh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 243 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Hard data? Do I look like I own several MMO publishers? I've merely been an in-game mod for a dozen or so. You think they'll share hard data with somebody like me? You'll have to ask the publishers for hard data, and I wish you luck getting it. The only hard data I have is over 10 years personal experience as an in-game mod for various MMOs, talking to just about every type of player that roams the realms of those games.

But even without hard data, I appeal to your sense of logic. Name 10 F2P MMOs where PvP is NOT 90% of the endgame? Truth is, there is basically no MMO out there that has no PvP endgame. Why? Because PvP people generally want to skip PvE content as much as possible and are willing to spend the money to get maxed out as soon as possible. They generally invest in gear, Cash shop-to-game currencies, power lvling, BiS enchantments etc. PvE players on the other hand, have no desire to rush through the contents and have less need for AD/zen/cash shop items than PvP players do. Those are -generally speaking- the F2P players who spend relatively little on cash shops if at all. Those people advance through playing rather than buying. If they invest, it's mostly in cosmetics, fashion items, transmutes etc.

So what you are really saying is that this is just your opinion and nothing more.

And as far as MMOs go...
    Now you are changing the subject... Your statement was and I quote... " It's a well-known fact that PvP brings in more money than PvE." And I asked for data to support your claim. And you then go to PvP being 90% of end game. Again with no proof of this claim. All I am asking for is a little proof when you make a statement like that. Which you cannot provide. Yet you state those figures as fact, which they are only opinion.

And you are saying that Raiding is lass then 10% of end game in most if not all MMOs?

I would ask you the opposite. Name 10 MMOs where PvP is 90% of end game with proof, not just your opinion.\
    Narayan
  • hamletswordshamletswords Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,320 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    So what you are really saying is that this is just your opinion and nothing more.

And as far as MMOs go...
    Now you are changing the subject... Your statement was and I quote... " It's a well-known fact that PvP brings in more money than PvE." And I asked for data to support your claim. And you then go to PvP being 90% of end game. Again with no proof of this claim. All I am asking for is a little proof when you make a statement like that. Which you cannot provide. Yet you state those figures as fact, which they are only opinion.

And you are saying that Raiding is lass then 10% of end game in most if not all MMOs?

I would ask you the opposite. Name 10 MMOs where PvP is 90% of end game with proof, not just your opinion.\

He may not have proof but I think he's generally right. I'm not sure what motivates a PVE player to pay money in this game. You can't even use a mount in dungeons, you're already way overgeared for most of the content with stuff you can get pretty cheap on the AH.

A PVP player on the other hand will always be running into "content" they can't beat (super-crazy geared PVP players), making them want to gear up more. Mounts are helpful in domination, and will be more so in mod3.

There's tiers of content in PVE that a player can (and is designed to) move through as he progresses. In PVP, you're sometimes thrown in against the equivalent of 5 Dracos.

I know for a fact I wouldn't have paid for my g.vorpal or mount if I never played PVP.

In PVP, better gear/mount means you might actually live and be able to kill people. In PVE, what does it do? Help you clear dungeons a little faster?
    My Harem: Dawn HR, Erin CW, Piper TR, Zoe GWF
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Name 10 F2P MMOs where PvP is NOT 90% of the endgame?

I can name 2, and they are both Cryptic games. The PVP in both CO and STO are complete empty neglected waste lands. A fact that has done nothing to reduce STOs popularity, or bottom line. And COs problems have nothing at all to do with its own lack of PVP. In fact, CO has been slowly getting a new trickle of content, despite PVP being at its lowest point in the history of the game.

The truth is, Cryptic has a long history of running games, at a profit, and for years. With PVP as little more then a tacked on afterthought. One that has consistently been forgotten time after time after launch. If Neverwinter is actually making more money from PVP, it is the aberration and not the norm for Cryptic.
  • mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Member Posts: 1,608 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    I can name 2, and they are both Cryptic games. The PVP in both CO and STO are complete empty neglected waste lands. A fact that has done nothing to reduce STOs popularity, or bottom line. And COs problems have nothing at all to do with its own lack of PVP. In fact, CO has been slowly getting a new trickle of content, despite PVP being at its lowest point in the history of the game.

The truth is, Cryptic has a long history of running games, at a profit, and for years. With PVP as little more then a tacked on afterthought. One that has consistently been forgotten time after time after launch. If Neverwinter is actually making more money from PVP, it is the aberration and not the norm for Cryptic.

Cryptic tend to aim their market heavily into RP and then PvE, all PvP features in cryptic games are always much like mini games added onto the actual game.

However saying that, what's with this sudden crying about the devs not caring about PvP? The recent changes seem almost more PvP based than anything else. How about that recent change adding tenacity.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    However saying that, what's with this sudden crying about the devs not caring about PvP? The recent changes seem almost more PvP based than anything else. How about that recent change adding tenacity.

Yea, I honestly think this is Cryptic testing the waters. This is the first time I've ever seen them devote so much attention to PVP before. The real proof will be what comes next. If Cryptic continues to add to and develop PVP in Neverwinter, then its fair to say that the PVP community is a strong source of income. If not, then this expansion will most likely be the last PVP centric thing added.
    edited May 2014
    He may not have proof but I think he's generally right. I'm not sure what motivates a PVE player to pay money in this game. You can't even use a mount in dungeons, you're already way overgeared for most of the content with stuff you can get pretty cheap on the AH.

A PVP player on the other hand will always be running into "content" they can't beat (super-crazy geared PVP players), making them want to gear up more. Mounts are helpful in domination, and will be more so in mod3.

There's tiers of content in PVE that a player can (and is designed to) move through as he progresses. In PVP, you're sometimes thrown in against the equivalent of 5 Dracos.

I know for a fact I wouldn't have paid for my g.vorpal or mount if I never played PVP.

In PVP, better gear/mount means you might actually live and be able to kill people. In PVE, what does it do? Help you clear dungeons a little faster?

You might be right with Neverwinter... But what about all of the other MMOs out there? Not all of them are as instanced as NW. I have mounts in almost every other MMO I play and I rarely PvP.
    Narayan
    edited May 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »

And don't forget the ever popular (laughing inside) Lord of the Rings Online. There has been 1 PvP zone since release years ago... LOL
    Narayan
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    op, tomorrow you can have a little bit of pvp love. make sure you've pre-patched.

devs have already stated they plan on doing more on the pvp side.

whether pvp or pve draws more cash in neverwinter... i think this discussion is spurred by the age old rivalry between pvp and pve in MMOs. you can't prove either side. we do know that neverwinter has released more PvE content and only in the last 3-4 months have incorporated pvp focused features not including what's coming up in icewind dale. and even with icewind dale's pvp content, it is being released with pve content. so... for all we know it could be balanced. but i doubt it's pvp heavy.
    edited May 2014
    Care to back up that statement with some facts? And I mean hard data where I can go look at it. My point is that if PvP brought in more money then PvE every MMO out there would be 90% PvP. These MMO companies are out to make money after all.

yeah that don;t sound right. this is clealry a pve mmo. like 90% of others.
    edited May 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »
    op, tomorrow you can have a little bit of pvp love. make sure you've pre-patched.

devs have already stated they plan on doing more on the pvp side.

whether pvp or pve draws more cash in neverwinter... i think this discussion is spurred by the age old rivalry between pvp and pve in MMOs. you can't prove either side. we do know that neverwinter has released more PvE content and only in the last 3-4 months have incorporated pvp focused features not including what's coming up in icewind dale. and even with icewind dale's pvp content, it is being released with pve content. so... for all we know it could be balanced. but i doubt it's pvp heavy.

i'll belive it when i see from these devs. very poor at pvp imo. some really really stupid class mechs that should have been hotfixed months ago. to the ponit where you wonder if they have ever done pvp (that video where they get CRUSHED by players says a alot. esp as all the players were gwf. ho hum). and the pace they move at is just.. my god its annoying. to have sucha good combat system and just <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> it away. very sad.
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Well its pve that dabbles in pvp. Pvp mmos look more like dayz or even what pathfinder is shaping up to be. This is clearly more like swtor or any number of other pve games that have a pvp element. IWD does promise to do more than what many other pve mmos do for pvp though. Good timing.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • tang56tang56 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    For instance, today I was in a match where there was me (GWF), 2 TR's, a HR and a CW against 2 GWF's 1 GF 1 TR and 1 CW.

Now, that may not seem like that big of a difference between teams, but an experienced PvP player would know that the opposition team has a huge advantage in that match due to the composition of the classes going against each other.

If your TRs and HR are any good your comp should steamroll the other team.
    RIP Neverwinter 26/06/2014
  • lolssi83lolssi83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited May 2014
    From PVE player's perspective: Had fun for 50 to 100 hours so length of a solid game and I wanted to support the devs.
    Checked if I could sub, unfortunately no such option so then I checked what packs there are available. Few were priced like regular game (50€) so I picked the one I liked better.
    So to sum it up: My motivation is to support and thank the devs but I doubt I'll invest much more until foundry gets better or we get something else than grind campaigns.
    Also bought some keys while back when Zen and keys were on sale (what a waste of money).
  • slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    The open zone PVP gonna suck...

It just make P2W even more P2W.

And all the troll builds with companions are so stupid.

Oh and guess what, you will never kill a perma because they don't need to be on a point anymore. Most broken **** in game stay full invisible doing free dmg when build and play properly. If they don't fix that **** then eventually the game just gonna be 20 perma TRs running around fighting another 20 perma TRs. Great PVP experience.

Open zone PVP contains a huge player base which means it is hard to organize whithin teams, there are gonna be people who cares little about winning the black ice, all they gonna do is troll and kill people. All is gonna to discourage the hard core PVPer tbh. It would be fun to run as a guild or with friends to gank up people etc. But this kind of thing are gonna die down quickly since there are no competitive side to be found in this: You can be hella geared with the best companion troll build but when focused by 130u39471074 players you gonna get jibbed like a popcorn in microwave.

5 vs 5 remains to be the best PVP mode, but the lack of new maps are making it really dry already.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    You can switch sides easily. There is no value into choosing a side as you can drop your contract anytime.

No guild-integration whatsoever. No long-term team-integration whatsoever.

I wonder what was the point of letting folks choose and switch sides every few seconds
  • vektoriozvektorioz Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Few more domination maps and an occasional pvp event like CTA's would go a long way.More people would stick with the game if offers more right from the start.Would really like to see some kind of structure in the open world pvp that gives a buff or something.