test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Module 3 Campaigns and PvP Leaderboard

dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
edited May 2014 in News & Announcements
Hey all,

Module 3: Curse of Icewind Dale will introduce a new PvP Campaign system and PvP leaderboards. Learn more about both in our latest preview: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002033

Thanks,

Dwight
Post edited by dwightmc on

Comments

• Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    So will leaderboards just run forever accumulating points or will they be cleared and started afresh every month or two? like seasons or whatever and if so what rewards will be on offer for top rankers?
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    stopicanhitustopicanhitu Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    OH goody more currencies..my currency slots weren't filled yet
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    wee-oh! wee-oh! Cue the Wambulance. boons from pvp campaign? Why are we being forced to pvp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You guys are really spiffing up PvP. Hopefully PvE gets the same intense love next module.
  • Options
    dwightmcdwightmc Member Posts: 95
    edited April 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    So will leaderboards just run forever accumulating points or will they be cleared and started afresh every month or two? like seasons or whatever and if so what rewards will be on offer for top rankers?

As of right now there are no plans that I know of to reset the stats every month or two, but that can always change. For now it is looking like it will accumulate over time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    As of right now there are no plans that I know of to reset the stats every month or two, but that can always change. For now it is looking like it will accumulate over time.

That might end up being a controversial decision , anybody who isn't involved from mod 3 launch or people who join the game a month or two after mod 3 launch and want to mainly pvp are going to find it hugely difficult to climb the leaderboards if they aren't refreshed occasionally ,it'll be interesting to see how it plays out after a couple of months , but I'd be surprised if threads don't start appearing asking for the leaderboards to be reset , even if it doesn't involve prizes or whatever for being top.
    akemnos wrote: »
    wee-oh! wee-oh! Cue the Wambulance. boons from pvp campaign? Why are we being forced to pvp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You aren't being forced to pvp , the pvp boons only activate when you are flagged for pvp so pvp players who have the boons won't have any advantage over non pvpers in pve.
  • Options
    lolssi83lolssi83 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 51
    edited April 2014
    You aren't being forced to pvp , the pvp boons only activate when you are flagged for pvp so pvp players who have the boons won't have any advantage over non pvpers in pve.
    At least they got that right.
    Unfortunately they seemed to have thrown in the towel when it comes to pve and just produce daily grind timesinks. Too bad since I thought game rather nicely written with interesting quests till around level 20.
    Well fingers crossed that Foundry gets some improvements since that is where the quality content seems to be.
  • Options
    venom0619venom0619 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    PVP can never be taken seriously:
    1) fix the imbalance (also the cheating/bug abusing - when an HR plays super man and FLIES 80 feet high, and 80 feet forward, theres a problem, or when they become IMMUNE to all ranged attacks for as long as they like)
    2) The terrible latency issues (try and actually SYNC the combat, if I throw someone NORTH, and they fly SOUTH, there's an issue), if they are immune: BEFORE, DURING, AFTER a shift+move (dodge) there's a problem, how the hell am I supposed to know when to throw any attacks?

Fix the actual PVP instead of adding more things for it.
  • Options
    displayname4172displayname4172 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    venom0619 wrote: »
    1) fix the imbalance (also the cheating/bug abusing - when an HR plays super man and FLIES 80 feet high, and 80 feet forward, theres a problem, or when they become IMMUNE to all ranged attacks for as long as they like)
    2) The terrible latency issues (try and actually SYNC the combat, if I throw someone NORTH, and they fly SOUTH, there's an issue), if they are immune: BEFORE, DURING, AFTER a shift+move (dodge) there's a problem, how the hell am I supposed to know when to throw any attacks?

Fix the actual PVP instead of adding more things for it.

I concur with this statement. I would like to see character classes more balanced in pvp so that any one character can fairly 1 vs 1 another character...same class different class....doesn't matter it should be a fair fight that relys on cunning and strategy versus who has the most raw power so......fix please!!! And also, it would be prudent to increase my enjoyment of pvp if weapon and armor enchantments were taken into consideration when the matchmaking process occurs cause when my DC with no weapon/armor enchants meets a GWF with a perfect vorpal or greater plague fire I become a 3 hit kill unable to even access my heals which probably would barely delay the inevitable anyway especially with the addition of healing depression on top of the DC mechanic that makes heals directed at myself 40% less powerful anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    PVP is not 1 vs 1. Do not ask for balance changes around things that are not part of the game. PVP is basically 5 vs 5 capture the flag. 1 vs 1 is a side product and the game should not be balanced to fit peoples ideas that I should never die.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Originally Posted by akemnos

I was totally being sarcastic in my forced to pvp comment but it is interesting that the boons only affect pvp.
  • Options
    chaddiwickerchaddiwicker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    So is the campaign more like Sharandar or Dread Ring? In Dread Ring, you didn't have to unlock different regions. I liked it much better than Sharandar which took sooooo long and the grind became boring. Please make future campaigns more like the Dread Ring.
  • Options
    skarlspeedskarlspeed Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I cannot wait to never be on those boards ever.
  • Options
    ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    skarlspeed wrote: »
    I cannot wait to never be on those boards ever.
    LOL, my sentiments exactly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    sevenouttsevenoutt Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I love how after Neverwinter release and two other modules, all PvP'ers got as far as content goes is two different BG maps, and one Gaunt PvP map that is often a huge time sink for nothing because of how difficult it is to get into. We finally get an open world pvp zone, and as predicted, many PvE'ers are jealous of ALL the attention we're getting.

They finally threw us a bone and there is an uproar.
  • Options
    raeoflightraeoflight Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    venom0619 wrote: »

I am confused... I am an HR but have never done a "superman" jump or the forward jump. I only know 2 things that can do that; rain of swords (probably the superman) and marausers escape/marauders rush (forward jump?) Those are encounter powers we have and they dont have us travle 80 feet, the rain of swords just has us jump in the air and hit whatevers infront of us (not a very effective power imo) and for marauder we travel 50 feet either running away or attacking. Never heard of anything giving us immunity for however long we want though. 0.o
    But i doubt they will fix the encounters. XD Just my opinion
  • Options
    cristianrossicristianrossi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2014
    Hi,

So, I've read the preview about pvp campaings and I feel a little worried.

Some quests require the player to "earn 75 double kills" or "execute 150 players in Gauntlgrym".

How is a Cleric supposed to do that? As being a cleric that pvps 90% of the time, I'm sure it will be extremely difficult to clear those quests.
    EguaDoidOx - Rock'n'roll DC / EguaDoidOx - Dominion Champion CW
    Ancient Warriors Guild
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Hi,

So, I've read the preview about pvp campaings and I feel a little worried.

Some quests require the player to "earn 75 double kills" or "execute 150 players in Gauntlgrym".

How is a Cleric supposed to do that? As being a cleric that pvps 90% of the time, I'm sure it will be extremely difficult to clear those quests.

They still haven't given a reply about this even though it has been asked several times on several threads , I'm pretty certain ( although not 100% ) in a post a while back a developer did agree that DC would have a hard time with 'kill' requirements and I'm pretty sure they said they would make sure that it wasn't impossible for DC's to accomplish but getting 3 kills in 15 seconds seems outlandish requirement for many DC's I know, maybe one of the developers will clear up what DC's are meant to do to get this.
  • Options
    xanos900xanos900 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 116 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    akemnos wrote: »

because pvper where forced to pve in the first 2campagns so deal with it
  • Options
    pzg33pzg33 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    dwightmc wrote: »
    Hey all,

Module 3: Curse of Icewind Dale will introduce a new PvP Campaign system and PvP leaderboards. Learn more about both in our latest preview: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/neverwinter/detail/5002033

Thanks,

Dwight

really hope they look at pvp then. its very poor righ tnow. really shines through how little they care.
  • Options
    demonkyuubidemonkyuubi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    They still haven't given a reply about this even though it has been asked several times on several threads , I'm pretty certain ( although not 100% ) in a post a while back a developer did agree that DC would have a hard time with 'kill' requirements and I'm pretty sure they said they would make sure that it wasn't impossible for DC's to accomplish but getting 3 kills in 15 seconds seems outlandish requirement for many DC's I know, maybe one of the developers will clear up what DC's are meant to do to get this.

outside of kill-stealing, i can't even imagine a cleric pulling that off in pugs. 5k gs targets or not.
  • Options
    humorisbenefithumorisbenefit Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    xanos900 wrote: »
    because pvper where forced to pve in the first 2campagns so deal with it
    Im not forced to play PvP, Im just forced to arrange party who gives me what I want.

PvP boons are only active in PvP and anyone can obtain/grind all PvP boons.... and all who ever play B2 knows that.
  • Options
    broborabrobora Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 196 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    outside of kill-stealing, i can't even imagine a cleric pulling that off in pugs. 5k gs targets or not.

Hi,

Gauntlgrym + heavy fighting + bit of teamwork + div-Divine Glow + Flamestrike Daily, you'll take out 3 as easily as a HR using previously op split shot.

Similar story in openworld, alongside marauder groups (3-4 of you). Great opportunity to make the same bonds found in PvE.

Also, It's quite godly that the PvP campaign updates in real time and once you clear the milestone on "unlocked tasks" you get to click one button for the PvP boon.

Literally, if you pvp at all, eventually these boons will clear. Like cap 150 nodes, gonna take a while.
  • Options
    cristianrossicristianrossi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2014
    brobora wrote: »
    Hi,

Gauntlgrym + heavy fighting + bit of teamwork + div-Divine Glow + Flamestrike Daily, you'll take out 3 as easily as a HR using previously op split shot.

No, I don't think it'll be that easy. Actually, that right there is pretty **** hard!

First of all to survive in pvp as a cleric you have to build for defense+deflect+regenerate (because you get controlled/stunned/disabled/prone ALL the time). Which means your damaging skills that aren't so great will be crapier.

On top of that you need to keep at least 2 healing encounters to be able to help your team/stay alive (unless the other team is under-geared). Which leaves the cleric with one damaging encounter and maybe one daily (flamestrike as you said or that Hammer something). Depending on the situation I need to go for all healing encounters...

Bottom of line is: DC is a support class. Unless you equip yourself fully for crit/power and build your feats toward that you'll be nothing more than a healer. You really can't build your character to be both, DD and healer. (I do know some ppl that are so much geared they can pretty much do both, but that's another case).

What I would like to see are different pvp quests that would require that "support". As an example:
    "Heal a teammate for 50k or more".
    "Heal 3 teammates on the same match for 30k or more".
    "Stay alive for the entire match".
    "Do 50+ assistances".
    "Take 50+ damage without dying".

Stuff like that
    EguaDoidOx - Rock'n'roll DC / EguaDoidOx - Dominion Champion CW
    Ancient Warriors Guild
  • Options
    zurimorzurimor Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would like to see character classes more balanced in pvp so that any one character can fairly 1 vs 1 another character...same class different class....doesn't matter it should be a fair fight that relys on cunning and strategy versus who has the most raw power so......fix please!!! directed at myself 40% less powerful anyway.

And this is what many get wrong. There is no need that any class can 1 vs 1 any other class.
    Look at pure PvP games like Dota2, LoL, HoN.... there are characters which can beat almost every other one 1 vs 1. And others, which would die instantly in a 1 vs 1 but bring i.e. huge utility to the team.
    There is nothing wrong with some classes/characters being stronger than others in certain aspects as long as possible teamcomps are balanced.
    Please stop expecting to be able to 1 vs 1 everyone!
  • Options
    nerhesinerhesi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    You shouldn't expect that certain classes just completely laugh at you in a 1v1 either. We have small scale pvp which can quickly become some 1v1s when you have 3 points (domination). Trying to balance everyone 1v1 is difficult...

But having unbeatable 1v1s is a bit of a joke. Like unkillable nearly always invis TRs are a huge problem (and there are a few more). You need to fix this or pvp will continue to be a joke in this game.
  • Options
    zurimorzurimor Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    nerhesi wrote: »
    You shouldn't expect that certain classes just completely laugh at you in a 1v1 either. We have small scale pvp which can quickly become some 1v1s when you have 3 points (domination). Trying to balance everyone 1v1 is difficult...

But having unbeatable 1v1s is a bit of a joke. Like unkillable nearly always invis TRs are a huge problem (and there are a few more). You need to fix this or pvp will continue to be a joke in this game.

This is exactly the weay it is in pure PvP games, there are characters which are unbeatable for some other characters. But you don't have to beat them 1 vs 1. It's a team game, and if you play as a team, you can beat every character.
    Let classes be unbeatable for other classes, don't mess up with this. It's ok if you have to team up.
    And from a clerics point of view, every other class is op, so nerf all please. ^^
  • Options
    humorisbenefithumorisbenefit Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    No, I don't think it'll be that easy. Actually, that right there is pretty **** hard!

First of all to survive in pvp as a cleric you have to build for defense+deflect+regenerate (because you get controlled/stunned/disabled/prone ALL the time). Which means your damaging skills that aren't so great will be crapier.

On top of that you need to keep at least 2 healing encounters to be able to help your team/stay alive (unless the other team is under-geared). Which leaves the cleric with one damaging encounter and maybe one daily (flamestrike as you said or that Hammer something). Depending on the situation I need to go for all healing encounters...

Bottom of line is: DC is a support class. Unless you equip yourself fully for crit/power and build your feats toward that you'll be nothing more than a healer. You really can't build your character to be both, DD and healer. (I do know some ppl that are so much geared they can pretty much do both, but that's another case).

What I would like to see are different pvp quests that would require that "support". As an example:
    "Heal a teammate for 50k or more".
    "Heal 3 teammates on the same match for 30k or more".
    "Stay alive for the entire match".
    "Do 50+ assistances".
    "Take 50+ damage without dying".

Stuff like that
    Good one, but PvP boons... have you look them, they are not worth for effort.

They are worth for effort to collect team what helps you get all kills and stuff without problem (on Dwarven Valley is very short route to PVP zone so its really fast to collect stats there)

If you know BF2 then you know how fast anyone can get PvP Boons.
  • Options
    pantheist84pantheist84 Member Posts: 33
    edited May 2014
    I think it's a great idea. It will keep bums on seats playing neverwinter that's for sure.