test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Is it better to refine or buy?

hughjanus4hughjanus4 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 34 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
Imagine if you didn't get any bonuses during the refinement process, is there any advantage in AD cost one way or another for refining something versus purchasing it on the auction house for the suggested retail price?

If say you wanted to get a level 10 enchantment, would the sum cost of refining to level 10 (reagents and necessary wards, too) cost more, less, or the same as the purchase price for the finished item?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Although that question cannot be universally answered because it depends on the daily price of Refinement Materials, most of the time you want to buy your Rank 10. The one exception are Radiants, where you start with Rank 7 and work your way up to 10.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Always buy, refining is for girls
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Course the advantage of refining is there's no time pressure: you can take as long as you want. Buying r10s means you need a lot of capital.
  • Options
    lamminatbodenlamminatboden Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Depends on what your are refining. For example when I upgraded my Rank 5s to 7, Dark and Silvery was cheaper to buy, and for Radiant it was cheaper (by about 15%, but I had Preservation Wards to spare) to buy Rank 6 and refine it to 7 with Rank 4s. Always check what the cheapest refinement points are (and remember Refining Stones can't give you a crit in the refinement process). I could imagine it is cheaper to refine Radiants yourself. Plus you have the advantage that morsitans mentioned.

You can calculate the total cost to refine it yourself. Gather the data what the upgrade chances and necessary refinement points are and plan around 1 AD for 1 Refinement point.
  • Options
    wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    rayrdan wrote: »
    Always buy, refining is for girls

Yah, generally buying is better.

Also, you know there are girls that play this game, right? xD
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Depends on prices I guess!

3 weeks before 99 R5 anything was 55-60k now its 100k.
    R7 dark/others was 30-40 now its ~50+
    I just bought what I needed.

With prices that high I think I will refine this time or w8...
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    If you're strictly comparing "buying high rank enchants" with "buying low rank enchants to make high rank enchants" (as opposed to factoring in things like using actual drops you get yourself for refining), then there are a variety of reasons the market fluctuates:

Amount of farming/ease of farming will affect how many lowbie r4s and so on there are for sale.
    Amount of lockbox opening will affect how many higher (r5/r6+) enchants there are for sale.
    Amount of potency marks available will affect relative costs of upgrading.

So often if there's been a massive glut of lockbox opening, you'll find r6s going for less than the cost of a single blue potency mark, which means it's definitely cheaper to buy the R6. And so on.
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Suggested prices are the average prices of items being sold in a period of time.

It does not draw on any other information. It could cost a billion AD in value to refine but if the enchsnts are only actually selling for a hundred AD it is going to recommend 100 AD.
  • Options
    c1k4ml3kc3c1k4ml3kc3 Member Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    hughjanus4 wrote: »
    Imagine if you didn't get any bonuses during the refinement process, is there any advantage in AD cost one way or another for refining something versus purchasing it on the auction house for the suggested retail price?

If say you wanted to get a level 10 enchantment, would the sum cost of refining to level 10 (reagents and necessary wards, too) cost more, less, or the same as the purchase price for the finished item?

If you get the coalescent ward, say, from the 7day praying option it's ofc cheaper. It depends upon the high demand of the item and lvl 10s aren't always in the high demand. Bear in mind that they are, more or less, the adequate price based on the time and effort spent into making them. People who make them don't really profit that much if they take around 40.000 in the process. That's basically what they pay for the AH cut % + (perhaps) the bidding price. The Coalescent ward rose up dramatically for over 70.000 astral, so bear that in mind, too.

Personally I'd never put a very high price item on AH because of the 10% trade cut (which vaporize into thin air), I'd always trade it for either GOLD or KEYS. Take KEYS as something of a "main" pricing unit, forget about astral, gold and zen. Keys are the main driving force imho.

I guess that bottom line - it depends upon what sort of a "fixed" price you get for a particular item, whether you'll exchange ZEN, Gold or buy it with keys that you bought while on the sellout (like now at the zen market). I think that if you have enough Astral you should definitely but an lvl 10 enchantment which you can use in your own gear set, while always having the option to take it out and sell it.

What I used to do before? I use the lesser vorpal enchantment while in DD, and sell it during the next DD (because I don't want to sell it asap as the DD ends since the prices are lower at that time). I get enough zen to buy the next Coalescent ward, use the earned vorpal shards (or even buy 1-2 more) and make another lesser vorpal enchant. And repeat it again, ofc. Vorpal shards are best dropped in the PK, and with a team of 4x 11k+ CW + 1 GWF it's practically easy and you may end up going for 6-7 runs, sell the items for a wee bit of astral, buy the gear at drake seal merch (buy the one that cost 70drake seal and salvage for 8000 rough as), salvage that etc.

So, whenever you have it and you're willing to farm while it's in your possession, buy it for astral, you never know what type of a profit/WTT deal you may end up with.
    True Neutral
    Left the Game due to heavy Damage Control & Missing Spanish Language
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    c1k4ml3kc3 wrote: »
    ...buy the gear at drake seal merch (buy the one that cost 70drake seal and salvage for 8000 rough as), salvage that etc.

Or even better, buy the rings that cost 40 drake seals and salvage for 6,000 rough AD. More bang for your buck.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    barq3tbarq3t Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 165 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Usually its the best to buy ranks 7 or 8 and then start to refine them by yourself.

For example todays price of dark r8 enchants is about 245k, and the cheapest r9 on ah cost 977k. If u buy 2 rank 8 (490k)+ 2 greater marks needed for upgrade (200k) + 1 stack of 99 rank 5 dark enchants (100k today price) in total ull spend 790k. U need of course a couple of preservation wards, lets say ur unlucky and make it 10 (x5k each=50k). So the total cost of making dark rank 9 as for today would be about 840k AD - 130k less than the cheapest one on AH in this moment

The point is before buying always calculate (it takes less than 1 minute) if its not cheaper to buy lesser version of enchant and then refine it by urself (but never refine anything below rank 7:)).
  • Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Please, please, please, keep buying (my) enchants! It's really the best way to go, hands down.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Please, please, please, keep buying (my) enchants! It's really the best way to go, hands down.

I bought one of your rank 8 radiant recently :P

I haven't had any experience with any enchants other than rank 9, but any time I've looked at the numbers, its always been cheaper just to buy them regardless of the situation for offense/defense slots, so anymore I just buy them regardless. I'm sure I lose a little bit here and there but ultimately you cant really go wrong with buying unless there are only like 1 or 2 on the AH or the price just seems unnaturally high. Then you should check the numbers to make sure people aren't trying to hike the price up due to lack of supply or there isn't one or more individuals working together to buy out the item to raise the price.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    It is CHEAPER to refine using rank 5 enchants.

However, I think it is too much work, you need quite a bit more capital (since you gotta buy rank 5s in stacks of 99 and you gotta buy the cheaper end ones which don't come out everyday). You lose 100-200k if you buy it outright but I'd rather just save the trouble.

TBH, this is how I made some diamonds. I craft high tiered enchantments and earn an average of 100k-200k profit from people who are either lazy or didn't know the math. But I've since abandoned it since it is too much work and I've found other avenues that uses my time and diamonds much much better
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    It is CHEAPER to refine using rank 5 enchants.

However, I think it is too much work, you need quite a bit more capital (since you gotta buy rank 5s in stacks of 99 and you gotta buy the cheaper end ones which don't come out everyday). You lose 100-200k if you buy it outright but I'd rather just save the trouble.

TBH, this is how I made some diamonds. I craft high tiered enchantments and earn an average of 100k-200k profit from people who are either lazy or didn't know the math. But I've since abandoned it since it is too much work and I've found other avenues that uses my time and diamonds much much better

Not always. I could be cheaper to refine using Peridots depending on the enchantment.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I've refined up to R8. I'll be making a R9 soon, all refined. It has taken months to get this far though and I've bought several stacks of R5s to refine. I'll be out of R7s soon, and I don't know if I'll be buying R7s, 8s or 9s to upgrade the rest, but I definitely won't be refining up from R4s again.
  • Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Not always. I could be cheaper to refine using Peridots depending on the enchantment.

Price fluctuations change here and there, but that is the general rule.

I've made millions and millions using rank5 enchants as the basic refining material too though so I would know.

Gotta have a better eye on the market and you'll see those cheap stacks of rank 5s
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Price fluctuations change here and there, but that is the general rule.

I've made millions and millions using rank5 enchants as the basic refining material too though so I would know.

Gotta have a better eye on the market and you'll see those cheap stacks of rank 5s

I mainly trade in Radiant 8s. Normally, Radiant 5s are more expensive to refine, so I use Peridots. All other enchantments, yes, Rank 5s are the way to refine.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg