test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Could We Give Permastealth to Whisperknife?

rustlordrustlord Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
edited May 2014 in The Thieves' Den
So I've been closely following the discussions on the stealth nerf headed our way. And I've seen some interesting ideas out there, as well as equally horrifying ones. From my reading, I've come up with a prototype solution of my own, based from somebody who mentioned if Permastealth could be a Saboteur exclusive synergy.

Instead of Saboteur I would propose Whisperknife. We all know that this paragon, while extremely enjoyable, pales in comparison in aspects of firepower, immunities and defenses. We are, however, having a problem mostly with Master Infiltrator permastealth builds. Frankly, the original bns/ss INT rogue was more an annoyance than a threat--it only became this ghost you can't seem to best after ITC was thrown into the mix. That, and shocking execution.

Moving permastealth synergies to Whisperknife effectively nerfs the OP in permastealth by denying it Shocking Execution and ITC, while at the same time giving the WK paragon path a new redeeming quality. As it is now, WK needs a solid buff to compete with MI builds, and MI permastealth needs to be hammered down to the level that they are fair to other classes. What do you think about turning over the perma to WK?

There are a variety of ways this can be done, such as relegating BnS as the WK exclusive encounter, and VP available to both paragons. This way, MI builds will not be able to stay in stealth indefinitely, but WK would. In the name of balance, WK has 3% less critical/deflect & runspeed from losing Skillful Infiltrator (MI class feature); They will not have the burst damage of Shocking Execution. And more importantly, losing ITC so that in the short window that they are out of stealth they can no longer be immune to damage.

This is a sketch idea I have, which I know leaves much to be desired. That's why I chose to start a specific discussion thread if this is a viable solution or not, instead of posting a reply in one of many threads out there.
Post edited by rustlord on

Comments

• Options
    umcjdkingumcjdking Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Not a good idea.

Whisperknife is about utility. Something that it doesn't have AT ALL, the WK rogue is all about midrange damage which is miserable under all circumstances compared to MI. I have all these sweet knife skills that due virtually nothing.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    umcjdking wrote: »
    Not a good idea.

Whisperknife is about utility. Something that it doesn't have AT ALL, the WK rogue is all about midrange damage which is miserable under all circumstances compared to MI. I have all these sweet knife skills that due virtually nothing.

Why would you presume WK has lesser damage than a MI? The major force multiplier behind TR damage comes from feats, not from the path itself. Going scoundrel path + scoundrel training + dagger threat increases the damage of CoS and DiS by almost 30%, and when this is coupled with the classic High-INT/High-Rec BnS+SS build a WK can be built up as a total ranged perma/semi-perma that deals nightmare levels of knife damage from stealth.

Couple that up yet once more with the recent trend of PoB and WK can actually be every bit as much frustrating for other classes to fight against. This setup can even give the classic MI TR(non-PotB) a run for their money, since essentially the outcome of the fight will be determined by who flushes out the other first. The weakness of this WK version of a perma setup would be that since it relies on total ranged (no-ITC = no-risking melee), it becomes a bit more difficult to take down GWFs, GFs and DCs than a MI could.

The only real difference in damage is between the Shoxecution and the quite average Hateful Knives. One's essentially an undeniably OP I-win button that always lands, the other is a bit heavy damage KU that can be dodged, blocked, or neutered by CC immunities.

The problem with WK is that MI holds two distinctly OP powers exclusively, which are powerful enough to lay out a deep performance gap in terms of PvP that is impossible to cross for WKs. ITC is OP, VP is garbage now. Shox is OP, HK is plain.

(ps) Some class features totally worthless and garbage also doesn't help much.. such as Razor Action. Anyone try this one out, and they'll know what I'm talking about.. lol
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    wingedkagoutiwingedkagouti Member Posts: 275 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    (ps) Some class features totally worthless and garbage also doesn't help much.. such as Razor Action. Anyone try this one out, and they'll know what I'm talking about.. lol
    If Razor Action had been a chance to execute after using an Encounter instead of every time after a Daily it might have been good. It's not even that useful if you spec Seething Knives, doing (going on memory) 500-600ish damage on hit with a DoT follow up for up to 50% of that.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    If Razor Action had been a chance to execute after using an Encounter instead of every time after a Daily it might have been good. It's not even that useful if you spec Seething Knives, doing (going on memory) 500-600ish damage on hit with a DoT follow up for up to 50% of that.

Its a class feature, that doesn't even tickle MOBs. Yep. Mobs. The sort that gets obliterated if you even sneeze at it, and it doesn't even tickle THEM. It would actually be outhealed by regened HP in PvP - ROFL.
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    gman118gman118 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I would be okay giving it to WF,though this is a bit off topic but how is perma-stealth being nerfed in mod-3??