test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

New character appearance for female halflings...

vampirecavyvampirecavy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 55 Arc User
So, I play a halfling named Lavi Strikel... and then I hear in a channel I'm in that halflings got a drastic new appearance change on the preview shard. I say "okay", and go and take a look, and after finding out I have to go to the Tower to actually see the new appearance, I do so. The new appearance for Lavi is on the left, the old one on the right.

hzytqO7.png

I'm going to start by saying that while I'm not sure I like everything below the neck that was changed, I certainly don't have a reflexive dislike of it, and I could probably grow used to it. I get a lot of what was trying to be done there, and I'm not going to complain about any of that.

That aside... her face looks... smushed. I played around with the sliders, but was never actually able to get anything nearly effeminate enough. I loved some of the options I saw (particularly the eyes) but... the new facial structure for her is a complete drop in quality. I seriously, seriously hope that this does not go live, and force me to pay for an appearance change for her - I'd be converting the AD to zen for it, but still... this is -awful-.

Is it at all possible to find a way to not change the face for halflings so... dramatically? Like, I can understand the logic behind the lower body changes, and I don't particularly object to those... but dear god, that facial change is just... not cool at all.
Post edited by vampirecavy on

Comments

• Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Yikes! I don't see why they don't just add new options myself.

Why would you need to pay for an appearance change though?

Edit: Went ahead and checked it out on my Halfling and I can safely say males Halflings have it just as bad.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Wow , I didn't realize how much they were changing how players look , I hope they plan on a free appearance change if they really screw up how we look , I must be lucky , my main pretty much looks the same as she does on live so far but yeah , sorry to say but if I was OP I wouldn't be very happy.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Here is the thing. The game wont change your looks UNTIL you visit the tower of alteration, and make a change. So, I'll be seriously shocked if they offer free appearance changes, because its not technically a forced change.

The problem is, it pretty much locks you into your current looks...forever. Because if you want to change one tiny little thing, or want to even think about the new hair styles, you have no choice but to dive full into the new system completely.
  • Options
    lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I really dislike the new face in my female halfling, she looks so cute now but checking the changes in the preview server is like if she lost a fight against a kickboxing expert and there's no way to reduce the inflammation in her face. This won't be changed, fortunately my helm covers it and the people won't notice my potato face.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Here is the thing. The game wont change your looks UNTIL you visit the tower of alteration, and make a change. So, I'll be seriously shocked if they offer free appearance changes, because its not technically a forced change.

The problem is, it pretty much locks you into your current looks...forever. Because if you want to change one tiny little thing, or want to even think about the new hair styles, you have no choice but to dive full into the new system completely.

Oh so players won't log on and find their character looks totally different when module 3 patches in? I thought it was weird with people saying their character looks totally different but my character basically looks the same , I felt left out lol .
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yea, I honestly suggest everyone needs to pass the word out. If you are even thinking a tiny bit about making any alterations to a character now is the time. Get it set now, before it gets locked in. Once module 3 hits, there will only be two choices. Remain as a legacy character with the old appearance, for as long as you can. Or accept the new system, with no hope of ever being able to revert back.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Here's the thing... is that an official thing the devs have stated, or just how it is on Preview? If that's -official- then alright, I can live with that - Lavi's appearance is just fine as she is. If not... I'm gonna have to start putting a mask on her, because I really don't like that new facial structure.

EDIT: That was in reply to sockmunkey's first post... not familiar with how the reply system here works. My bad.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    No one knows. No one official has said anything about any of this. And this is even after the mods said they would try to get any kind of comment on things directly.

So are only left to assume, things will behave the same way when this goes live, as they behave now on preview. That being, existing characters will be left "as is" and only altered when they make any kind of change. So, while any assumption is always a gamble. It is, at least, a safe assumption. I dont think Cryptic wants to mass alter everyone suddenly on login. That would cause epic levels of rage and unhappiness.
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Yea, I honestly suggest everyone needs to pass the word out. If you are even thinking a tiny bit about making any alterations to a character now is the time. Get it set now, before it gets locked in. Once module 3 hits, there will only be two choices. Remain as a legacy character with the old appearance, for as long as you can. Or accept the new system, with no hope of ever being able to revert back.

Of course, my character is screwed up no matter what because I will have a big bald spot under my character's chin unless I update him under the new system.
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    The newer Lavi looks shorter and fatter with a smushed face. It looks aweful IMO. I like the one on the right. I hope my TR doesnt change to the new format. If so I want a free change to human.
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Male halflings get it worse. Take a look at this abomination.

2gChZRW.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I'm guessing the one on the left is the new system? if so LMFAO! sexy legs! :3 and what's with the mutant barrel chest lol
  • Options
    devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Nah dont need to be THAT bad. Chest is a little bizzare.

E2mTwck.png?1

I dont know why, but all their faces appear to be grumpy or depressed.
    D:

And I agree, females need more "oval" heads.
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I think they handled these new appearance changes pretty poorly. they should have still kept the old options all there while bringing in the new.

Further more.. I dont see the reason to even change the appearances. Who honestly asked for this. Them as options is a different story, but we shouldnt be locked out of something that we like the look of, regardless.
  • Options
    czarnamimozaczarnamimoza Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 36
    edited May 2014
    I think they handled these new appearance changes pretty poorly.

That is my thought, too. Here are the screenshots that I made:

1. Post-patch dwarves and half-orcs are waaaay prettier than halflings. I don't say that they should be ugly, I say that halflings should be as nice-looking, as them. Here's the comparison between a standard halfling and dwarf face (halfling is on the left). The nose is huge, looks like it belongs to a 3rd edition's gnome. The jaw is way too wide, and way too short. Precisely, the whole head is too wide. The eyes look weird, they're a little too small, compared to other races.

mK0Ik1Q.png

2. The old body is better, it's proportional. Here is the comparison between the old and new default body, all sliders in the middle. Also, the nail length slider is missing in the new version. Look closely at her feet, they are so tiny, I'm sure they shouldn't be able to support the new, bigger gut. The shoulders look weird, too.

Rety2pb.png

3. I tried to recreate my character, using the new design. The result looks like this (pre-patch on the top, post-patch on the bottom). You can believe me, I tried as hard as I could.

JoBBLyb.png

4. The new male halfling... the default body looks like this (all sliders in the middle). And no, I didn't accidentally use the heavy version.

z5vOwfI.png

In the description of halflings, it's written that they are built like small humans. In 3rd edition it's stated, that they have an athletic build and they look very human-like in the pictures. They are not hobbits, they don't have huge bellies! And even hobbits don't look like that, because they, in fact, have large, hairy feet (halflings don't). I think someone didn't do their homework, because even in the 4th edition there's nothing to support this appearance.

The only good thing I see is that there are some new hairstyles, I adore one of them and I'd love to have it on my character. But I cant, because this hairstyle comes with a new, ugly face. I hope this will be fixed before the patch comes to life. Thanks for the effort, but please, don't break something that works well. And sorry for poor grammar.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    The only good thing I see is that there are some new hairstyles, I adore one of them and I'd love to have it on my character. But I cant, because this hairstyle comes with a new, ugly face. I hope this will be fixed before the patch comes to life. Thanks for the effort, but please, don't break something that works well. And sorry for poor grammar.

I haven't looked through all the new hairstyles yet, but I LOVE the new eye features, and would love to get some of them on Lavi... but with the way things are now, I'd be better off staying miles away from it. The tiny feet thing is something I hadn't even noticed, and it's also awful, yes.
  • Options
    sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    U know what's most interesting about new character features. They all seem to be made by following official D&D art and sketches for races. And Halfling realy DO have that kind of bodies but mostly slim onec and that tiny feet.
  • Options
    sokolnichiysokolnichiy Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Here, take a look.

Race_Example-PH1.gif
    spotlight_rc2.jpg
  • Options
    secondalksecondalk Member Posts: 67
    edited May 2014
    This is...horrible.

I sorely regret not making my new character before these changes kicked in. It's like the faces were pushed back from exaggerated features into 'uncanny valley'.

I really, really hope that something can be done to get our old appearances back.

Edit: Adding my own horror story.

Old Halfling Fighter: Grizzled <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
    11vnyfk.jpg

New Halfling Fighter: Uncle Dimble

29f5aiq.jpg

I don't like the Uncle Dimble look. There's something about this new narrower selection that seems to be shoehorning halflings into some sort of goofy, cartoony, slapstick-comedy-relief style. I really don't like it.