test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Should module 3 come with more pvp MAPS?

ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
They are giving us zone pvp - which is cool with the exception of companions.... I think all the past leveling zones should have had this feature from the get go.

however the real question most people are asking (myself included) is NW has been "out" for over a year now, players have been asking for more pvp maps since the games open beta... I dont understand the reluctance in putting in more PVP maps?

I have a very hard time believing it would take significant resources to do, yet the benefit of even 1-2 more maps would be IMMENSE!

Thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Of course we need more Domination maps, but if we aren't seeing them by this point in the public testing process, we probably aren't going to see any for the launch of M3.

Adding new maps sounds easy, and for all I know it may very well be, but it's also possible that it's not quite so simple. It took them months to resolve basic-seeming issues like campfire invasion and bugged healing potion spawns on existing maps. I think it's safe to assume that what resources they have allocated to PvP development have been 100% tied up in new Icewind Dale features. Maybe once M3 is up and running satisfactorily we could see some new maps.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    vektoriozvektorioz Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Also consider modifying the existing maps to make them more fun.Feel free to check my other posts for the ideas.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    vorphied wrote: »
    Of course we need more Domination maps, but if we aren't seeing them by this point in the public testing process, we probably aren't going to see any for the launch of M3.

Adding new maps sounds easy, and for all I know it may very well be, but it's also possible that it's not quite so simple. It took them months to resolve basic-seeming issues like campfire invasion and bugged healing potion spawns on existing maps. I think it's safe to assume that what resources they have allocated to PvP development have been 100% tied up in new Icewind Dale features. Maybe once M3 is up and running satisfactorily we could see some new maps.

I hope so. You know I posed the same questions to several programmer friends who all said the same thing - they could actually build and implement a map within 24 hours pretty easily - one person.

They said its pretty simple actually to build the maps, try and make them a mirror on each side with slight twists. The nodes are just embedded chipsets or something that have interaction involvement and the issues on fire/spawn camping are pretty easily addressed if you just dont put any objects next to it.

I went into Foundry myself - I know its a dumb down version but I was able to build a map in just a few hours that wasnt too bad and I have no experience at all.....

What I proposed a while back was:
    - Introduce a Sharandar theme map that was CTF - Copy the third zone in the PVE campaign (where you quest), remove the MOBs,- or maybe only SOME of them, and Put flags at each side.
    Map is easily big enough where it takes time to travel 1 end to the other, it roughly has "three paths" that go from each end to the other would make an awesome PVP CTF map (maps already done, just add an interactive "flag" to cap)

Make a Dreadring "deathmatch" map.
    - There is alot of options here, but basically take map and make it first team to 50 kills wins.

Make a now, Module 3 map:
    This can be a "domination" KOTH map. I would just do one giant "node" in the middle of a map true KOTH style. 1 node, 5 on each team. First to like 1000 points wins or w.e....

Now you have 2 Domination maps, 1 CTF, 1 Slayer, 1 KOTH.

The beauty is that builds that are amazing at some games will suck at others and vice versa. This would be an AMAZING PVP game and I will guarantee a HUGE boost in players and sales if this happened.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Or just put a crystal on each side of the domination map.A person could either cap or run the crystal to the center or home base.You are definitly right about one thing.Offering more in a game right from the start will encourage more people to stay.I know the devs are working tiresly balancing skills,companions,exc for mod 3.Please consider trying additional methods on balancing the battlefield itself.Aoe buff/debuff towers.Buffs based on numbers of each faction on the battlefield.Location of the black ice spawns.Amount of black ice dropped per player.All that good stuff.Anyway looks like mod 3 will be good and am looking forward to playing it.There was an old Aussie game called Fury that incorporated alot of your ideas Ayroux.Sadly shut down in 1998 due to high system req's and alot of bugs.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    vektorioz wrote: »
    Or just put a crystal on each side of the domination map.A person could either cap or run the crystal to the center or home base.You are definitly right about one thing.Offering more in a game right from the start will encourage more people to stay.I know the devs are working tiresly balancing skills,companions,exc for mod 3.Please consider trying additional methods on balancing the battlefield itself.Aoe buff/debuff towers.Buffs based on numbers of each faction on the battlefield.Location of the black ice spawns.Amount of black ice dropped per player.All that good stuff.Anyway looks like mod 3 will be good and am looking forward to playing it.There was an old Aussie game called Fury that incorporated alot of your ideas Ayroux.Sadly shut down in 1998 due to high system req's and alot of bugs.

the devs said no in the Q&A. they said it takes too long to make new maps.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Yes I was there.Suggesting that they make minor enhancements to the existing ones.
  • Options
    limeye3limeye3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 101
    edited April 2014
    We just need a 1v1 queue and maybe a 3v3.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd let the foundry creators a chance to make new 5vs5 and 10vs10 domination map. Then look at what they made and implement the best ones giving the winners some prises as free zen or unique items, whatever.

And just for notice: no one asked for Tenacity, almost no one asked for open PvP with companions, injuries and PvE pots. The only thing people have been asking for is new PvP Domination maps.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    cayappcayapp Member Posts: 826 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Dev did not say NO to any new PvP maps, but that there would not be any new ones in Mod 3 due to time constraints. The Dev stated it takes a very long time to completely make new maps, so would not be happening in this Mod 3.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    mehguy138 wrote: »
    I'd let the foundry creators a chance to make new 5vs5 and 10vs10 domination map. Then look at what they made and implement the best ones giving the winners some prises as free zen or unique items, whatever.

And just for notice: no one asked for Tenacity, almost no one asked for open PvP with companions, injuries and PvE pots. The only thing people have been asking for is new PvP Domination maps.

THe first question to the DEVs was new maps, they claimed it takes alot of time (not sure I believe that)

They were asked about foundry pvp a while back and said they didnt want to do that because it would split the pvp community between players that did foundry or the current pvp...
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    That would be a good contest.A few modifications of the current maps would take less time.At least it would be something.Kind of agree on the devs position on a large scale pvp foundry tho,it would spread people a little thin given the current pvp options.Howerever if it was sceduled to run once or twice a day like the other events it may be viable.Even once or twice every few days would be cool.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    cayapp wrote: »
    The Dev did not say NO to any new PvP maps, but that there would not be any new ones in Mod 3 due to time constraints. The Dev stated it takes a very long time to completely make new maps, so would not be happening in this Mod 3.

Well the op asked specifically for mod 3.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Your post gave me another awesome idea Ayroux.This would not disrupt the current pvp system.Have pvp events like the CTA skirmishes.It would only be for a few days so people would not be raising kain about balance,exc.Events are being run for everything else,why not pvp?
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd love to see:

A deathmatch mode.*

A king of the hill mode.*

A 1 on 1 duelling arena.*

*On new maps, of course.

The arena should preferably be the same as in champions online.

• Options
    rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I'd rather see them put their resources into balancing of classes than having more maps with OP TRs
  • Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Member Posts: 1,608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'd love to see:

A deathmatch mode.*

A king of the hill mode.*

A 1 on 1 duelling arena.*

*On new maps, of course.

The arena should preferably be the same as in champions online.

I would love to have the dueling arena area like in the powerhouse on CO, the person who put those in is currently working on STO if he was on the NW team he would probably be able to do a working dueling arena in a few weeks IMO. A big thing that the dueling arena add's is a way to test certain things, I wouldn't really suggest making this at all a competitive thing as the game is certainly not balanced for 1v1 situations.

King of the hill mode would be cool but would be a lot about who has the most knocks, they'd have to spent a lot of time coming up with something that keeps balance in the game and give players ways to get around problems and attempt to make a comeback. They could do this like they did in the one (that not many people who play CO even know of) in champions where as one team gets points the other team gets a damage buff to give them a chance to get some kills to make a comeback.

Deathmatch wouldn't work, it's proven from CO that it was always a bad idea and a balance nightmare not to mention the fact people could team up in them. Also once again I say the gameplay in NW is a lot based around teamwork, as the smallest amount of people in a competitive match I would like to see is teams of 2 but still this has problems where you'd be best off with just 2 maxed GWF's currently or double perma could maybe work also. Most likely this would lead to the matches never ending because no one would be able to kill each other. The way the PvP in this game has been done is to make it not all about kills but all about points, there are many problems that the devs would face making a new map that wouldn't be a balance nightmare.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This poll is useless, sadly. Neither will there be new ones, nor are additions to the map-pool even planned.

See Dev Q&A transcript. Sorry if that has already been mentioned, haven't read the whole thread.
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    They were asked about foundry pvp a while back and said they didnt want to do that because it would split the pvp community between players that did foundry or the current pvp...

I mean not "Foundry PvP", but let the players create PvP Domination maps they want, then pick the best ones and implement them as an addition to existing maps.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Like others have said, its a bit too late for these for mod 3 at this point, but of course we have all been asking/wanting more maps. That being said, I like the attention they are giving to PvP now rather than just focusing on something as simple as a new map, so I am completely fine with how things are progressing at this point.
  • Options
    sasorassasoras Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    the old maps lack vivid colors just dark and bland it a bit boring fighting in it, i really wish i could fight in snow and forest environments, a pvp in ice spire would be cool.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I would love to have the dueling arena area like in the powerhouse on CO, the person who put those in is currently working on STO if he was on the NW team he would probably be able to do a working dueling arena in a few weeks IMO. A big thing that the dueling arena add's is a way to test certain things, I wouldn't really suggest making this at all a competitive thing as the game is certainly not balanced for 1v1 situations. [..]

Oh i did not mean to suggest an actual arena game-mode where we can obtain glory. Just an arena where we can (if we feel like it) test out new builds and eventually improve our tactics against certain other classes. I have spent weeks if not months in CO's arena(s) before i even considered engaging a real duel lol.

• Options
    mrhinkypunkmrhinkypunk Member Posts: 1,608 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Oh i did not mean to suggest an actual arena game-mode where we can obtain glory. Just an arena where we can (if we feel like it) test out new builds and eventually improve our tactics against certain other classes. I have spent weeks if not months in CO's arena(s) before i even considered engaging a real duel lol.

Ah okay I get what you mean. Yeah it was really useful for testing things out even just in a PvE sense.

Also something someone just said about how bland and repetitive these 2 maps are. Something they could look at doing is remake the two maps in a few different locations but using the exact same layout and stuff. It will make tactics easier for teams as there is still only 2 maps but will make things much less repetitive.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    no, fix old first.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    tcarnce wrote: »
    no, fix old first.

I dont get this... Whats to fix?

If there are ways to get into spawn that people still know of and people are complaining about that, your looking at the wrong things. There shouldnt even be a match where this becomes an issue.

I would MUCH rather have new maps - new scenery etc to get me to play again than the same two maps. Id rather have them delete the current ones and push our two new maps than play the two existing ones again.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hell I'd even be happy with a death match room over the current 2 boring same ole same ole!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    More than just new maps, I wish we had new modes, capture the flag, just pvp between 2 teams where the one who kills more wins, etc...
    2e2qwj6.jpg