test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which are the strongest companions?

fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
Due to the lowered prices of some of the epic companions did I get me the Galeb Duhr (aka Stone Elemental) and the Honey Badger.

The Galeb Duhr is still getting ranked, but it is not a big damage dealer anyway, and might just be a very useful "door stop". I am still not quite sure if I want Eldritch Runestones on it or Serene Runestones on it.

After I have now ranked the Honey Badger to 30, giving it some ancient gear, and doing my dailies with it did I notice that it was dealing quite some damage. So I tested it on a target dummy and was surprised by the numbers. I am seeing hits with up to 4000-6500 damage from one of its attacks.

So now my questions are, which are the strongest companions in the game? What do you use them for? In what combination (with other companions) do you use them? What is their best setup?
Stay frosty.
Post edited by fgreyspear on

Comments

• delarediadelaredia Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Best setup is a cat/ioun stone, because they don't stand in red circles and die.

But if you mean something that is actually going to fight, I really like my vicious dire wolf, because I can keep a target on the ground 37.5% of the time by positioning myself to give the wolf combat advantage (which makes his attack knock down a target, at level 30).
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Galeb Dhur is a tank - it's supposed to a door-stop and a darned good one, too.

Stones are only really useful in Dungeon Delves and Skirmishes in a party. For solo play: not so much any better than any other companion.

As for strikers - those that get into the fray and are intended to be 'hard hitter' attack fiends, the Dire Wolf is excellent. But that requires purchase of a Guardian of Neverwinter pack. As for Z-Store companions, the abso-feaking-lutely best and strongest one I've had the sheer pleasure to play with is the DREAD WARRIOR, That thing is stunning.

The *problem* with the Dread Warrior is it's Active Bonus ADDS threat to YOU; it's designed for Tanks like GWF and GF, NOT squishes like HR, DC and CW. However, to answer the question "Which companion is strongest" - there's your answer. and I have the complete Companion pack - all of them. I copied character to Preview and used them all so I know what I'm talking about.

Dread Warrior is what all striker companions should be (except for the Active Bonus) LOL