test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

GWF pvp sets

abudamanabudaman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Hello,

I'm currently rolling a SM Destroyer (yes in a pve build as I don't pvp all that much) and am curious which pvp set would be the best to purchase. I'm leaning towards the sentinel version to keep me up longer, but I don't really want to gimp my damage. This is mainly in preparation for mod3.

Thanks!
Post edited by abudaman on

Comments

• Options
    str8slayerstr8slayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 715 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    I suggest not taking your destroyer to PVP, you will just be disappointed in how quickly you end up dead.

Either roll a sentinel or just stick to PVE, there's no destro builds for PVP that are even slightly survivable.

In a few weeks sentinel will be nonviable as well so it remains to be seen what most GWF players will do. Whether they will attempt PVP as destroyers or reroll to other classes is unknown.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    abudaman wrote: »
    I'm leaning towards the sentinel version to keep me up longer

By one second or two. Why not, if you're enjoying your char when he is in the process of being killed.

abudaman wrote: »
    I don't really want to gimp my damage.
    Which class were you thinking you would damage? Another gwf maybe.
  • Options
    abudamanabudaman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm looking for a decent answer not flames and people trying to tell me how to have fun.

Thanks!:D
  • Options
    kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The Tier 1 set is the only one that offers armor penetration which makes it a nice choice for maintaining your damage. The 4/4 Bonus is a heal from activating unstoppable, which can work nicely with a Destroyer's berserker-type playstyle as well as the extra determination a Destroyer gets from the capstone feat.

In my opinion, the Tier 1 set is a better offensive set than the Grim Destroyer set. Plus you can save up Seals of Triumph until you are more certain about a Profound set/combination that you want.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Comparatively better at best. The capstone feat gives very limited AD, it will never fills your bar except if the opponent is AFK. The 4/4 heal, well there is this healing depression thing.
    The decent answers were given already: do not venture in PvP as a gwf unless you own a time machine to pre-nerf NW.
  • Options
    forumnamesarelamforumnamesarelam Member Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Profound Destroyer armor with the Profound dominance jewellery. Focus on crit (vorpal) and stack deflection and armor pen as much as possible. The comment about the T1 PvP armor is mostly correct - it's a very solid starter set, and I wouldn't waste any seals on anything other than the profound armor.

Also - a lot of the negativity about GWF's in PvP is simply ludicrous. I've been PvPing a destroyer build solid for the last week and earned over 50k glory and had several games during the bonus hour where I got 1k glory in the game for winning AND being at the top of the score board. I honestly have no idea why anyone would think that this class is broken in any way, shape, or form for PvP.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe people don't understand how armor penetration works, or what sort of equipment/loadouts other classes are using. If you stack for defense... well then you better have A LOT of defense otherwise it's mostly going to be worthless. This is probably why there are so many sentinels rocking around out there in PvP land. It's like the nuclear arms race for GWF's who are bad at PvP - let's just keep stacking more defense and hp, that'll work eventually!
  • Options
    kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    lewel555 wrote: »
    The 4/4 heal, well there is this healing depression thing.

Heroic Duelist 4/4 healing is not affected by healing Depression.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • Options
    luthandroseluthandrose Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Also - a lot of the negativity about GWF's in PvP is simply ludicrous. I've been PvPing a destroyer build solid for the last week and earned over 50k glory and had several games during the bonus hour where I got 1k glory in the game for winning AND being at the top of the score board. I honestly have no idea why anyone would think that this class is broken in any way, shape, or form for PvP.

I think more of the comments that people are voicing up about are for Mod 3 changes with open world PvP and other modifications that are upcoming to the GWF class. In the 5 man PvP we have today, Sentinel is still the preferred spec with Destroyer just not being able to survive as long. However, that doesn't mean they aren't viable for PvP by any means.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I also have a PVE SM Destroyer and I already have 2 pcs of the Sentinel Grim set. Since I already have these 2 pieces, would it be better to take another 2 pcs of another set to get the 2/2 HP bonus, or should I just scrap it and get the Heroic Duelist 4pc set?
  • Options
    pherrowpherrow Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 416 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    I also have a PVE SM Destroyer and I already have 2 pcs of the Sentinel Grim set. Since I already have these 2 pieces, would it be better to take another 2 pcs of another set to get the 2/2 HP bonus, or should I just scrap it and get the Heroic Duelist 4pc set?

I wouldn't scrap anything right now and I would test the 4pc set as well. The 2pc/2pc is very nice for high hp (since the inst and sent have hp for stats, as well). At this point, I have 2pc grim in destroy, sent, and inst but Im liking the 4pc Heroic more and more....even though I no longer have 40k hp. YMMV.

PS- I ran into a destroy gwf and did some 1v1s with my senti. He was runnin the sent pvp gear since he had offensive build. With his 36k hp and nice def/defl, he was actually pretty tough. Still couldn't hold out for the wins but he was probably the toughest destroy I've come across...not like the usual tissue paper armor guys.