test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Power or Critical Strike if I already have Eye of the Storm?

ianthewizard2012ianthewizard2012 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,142 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Library
Should I increase my Power or Critical Strike if I already have Eye of the Storm?
Post edited by ianthewizard2012 on

Comments

• Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Copy your character to the test shard and look up the % increase from additional crit vs. power.

Crit% gained from the additional stats * Severity = DPS increase
    The DPS increase from power is shown when you hover over the stat
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I think it would be a variance of the 2, balanced approach.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Power...not even questionable at high gear levels.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thanks all.

niadan wrote: »
    Power...not even questionable at high gear levels.
    What's your consideration for choosing Power?
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    I am Spellstorm intel/char. You get more dps with power stacking and just rely on crit you get from gear. Crit has a very low diminishing return level and you have eots. I try to keep my crit in the 1800 area with 20% arp 3500 recovery and 9100 power....but im pretty well geared with HV and fomorians helping take recovery off the table for me. That will change with mod 3. Black ice gear being devoid of recovery but heavy in crit and arp.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    You can't rely on EotS for everything.

I would say have minimum 2k Crit before stacking power.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    You can't rely on EotS for everything.

I would say have minimum 2k Crit before stacking power.

Depending on your crit chance before adding crit. 2k is a good number. I try to stay in the 30-33% crit chance plus eots, but that is my preference.
  • Options
    silverquicksilverquick Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Should I increase my Power or Critical Strike if I already have Eye of the Storm?

Honestly its a hard question to anwer without really knowing your build.

Yes its true that Eye of the Storm increases crits, but again, you may want crits outside of that going off. Eye is pretty random. You don't know when its going to happen. When it does its great because it gives you a full string of them. But in the case of a Renegade build where they're using Nightmare Wizardry, you need that to go off as often as possible. So if you're waiting on Eye of the Storm to proc, without also stacking some Crit, you could be waiting a while.

Thaumaturge well you're not going to get much extra out of Crit gear, but again Eye of the Storm is very random, so there are times you might want more crit.

There's no real hard fast answer on the Crit side because it depends on many factors as to whether a mage stacks it or not. It actually soft caps between 2200 and 2500 somewhere. I generally do keep around a 2200. Though recent additions to my character from gear pushed it to 2400 it doesn't bother me that much. I'm at a 35% crit bonus which is nice.

But.... you don't need to go out of your way to stack it once you pass the 2100 mark as you'll start to notice the diminishing returns. Also... I'd listen to Naidan regarding power stacking at high levels. It is very noticable in mages who do... vs mages who do not.

Ideally you're going to want a balance of stats but again this depends on the gear you're using and your build. I tend to keep a much higher crit and ap than Niadan and balancing things a little more.

I keep Power 6200, Crit 2400, AP 2200, Rec 3500. Crit was not intentional but recently went up do to a gear addition. So I'll probably swap out an enchantment or two so its around 2200 again as that was its norm, but I'm not exactly complaining either as I am noticing additional crits.

In a general sense though... power needs to go as high as you can get it since it doesn't cap... Crit can go up to around 2500 before it just isn't worth adding anymore. Recovery on the other hand can go up to 3700 or so before the returns start seriously diminishing.
  • Options
    abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Another vote for power.

It does depend on your play style though. I play as a thaumaturge build and rely on Eye of the Storm for the vast majority of my crits. While Eye of the Storm is random, it can also be very reliable if you're using the right powers in the right situations. I've personally tested it and using Steal Time with three enemies nearby will proc Eye of the Storm 70% of the time. So if you run into a crowd, use Steal Time then follow it with Sudden Storm and Shard of Avalanche you'll get crits out of all three spells the majority of the time (for extra fun sneak Oppressive Force in there and watch your screen fill with red numbers followed by everything dying). Those spells hitting for crits is enough to deal with most trash in the game.

If you're using that sequence of encounter spells any points you're putting into criticality is better spent elsewhere...like power. Which will make those spells hit even harder. You're already getting crits on most hits so boosting your criticals is redundant.

If you're a PvP player it's an entirely different story since you won't be using those powers or be fighting mobs. There criticals are important. Same with boss fights.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Well 70% of the time... is an overexaggeration.... as I use those exact same tactics...

And when I had a lower Crit score I was not critting nearly as much as I am now with a higher crit and Eye of the Storm... so I can say adding crit gear does work well. But.... it does increase the chance to proc EoTS depending on whether you're using it with an At Will, Encounter, or Daily. As it increases the chance of procing with each step up in type of attack you're using.

So it is worth mentioning that using Encounter Powers increase the chance of a Proc.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    No, it's not an exaggeration. Stand in the trade of blades for a good amount of time casting steal time over and over and tallying up the number of times Eye of the Storm procs and how many it does not. Let me know if you get different results. I'd love to have a larger sample size.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    No, it's not an exaggeration. Stand in the trade of blades for a good amount of time casting steal time over and over and tallying up the number of times Eye of the Storm procs and how many it does not. Let me know if you get different results. I'd love to have a larger sample size.

Parse a run and you will see that eots plus 30% crit chance will equate to as high as 60% crit when hitting mobs with coi and or steal time. And your nightmare wizardry will proc at least 50% of the time.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    niadan wrote: »
    Parse a run and you will see that eots plus 30% crit chance will equate to as high as 60% crit when hitting mobs with coi and or steal time. And your nightmare wizardry will proc at least 50% of the time.

Heh yeah TOTAL crit rate between normal crits with gear and EoTS is a little more accurate.

I was going to say... no EoTS does not proc and crit 70% of the time on its own. heheh.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I'm a big fan of power. Remember, power makes all your attacks hit hard. Attacks that hit harder, crit harder, too. I honestly don't see the need to take critical hit much past 1500.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    What I noticed most when I experimented with various configs between all of them specifically with Power vs ARP on the powers that it does work with... (namely, Sudden Storm, Shards, and Steal Time, ei... the big AoEs).

Getting the ARP up to about 2200 made the damage very stable, I generally notice when I drop ARP below 2000 unless I'm in HV which tends to throw everything off base especially when you need specific techniques to kick off the big armor drains. Damage with higher ARP generally was very consistent across the board. Power tended to have serious high and low damage variance without that, the high end though is what really shows. Especially with Encounter powers. There is a multiplier in the Encounter powers that bases itself off power and seems to be magnified by that stat, which is where you can really see it in the high end game.

Crit of course multiplied that base left by the power/ARP ratio.

I tended to notice a lower crit rate when I had my crit below the 1800 range. Once it hit the 2200 range, crits became very consistent even outside of Eye of the Storm.

So its really a combination of all of them.

Still... once you get to the soft cap... power is the only way to go its the big kahuna at that point.

EDIT: Meant to say ARP not AP.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Seeking power, for powers sake. Is surely a path to the dark side. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Seeking power, for powers sake. Is surely a path to the dark side. :p

Then call me Darth...lol
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Thank you very much for these advises. I now know what to do.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Heh yeah TOTAL crit rate between normal crits with gear and EoTS is a little more accurate.

I was going to say... no EoTS does not proc and crit 70% of the time on its own. heheh.

No, of course not. I didn't mean to imply that you'll get 70% crits on anything just by having eye of the storm. What I meant is that different encounter powers have different probabilities of triggering eye of the storm. A one hit power like Chill Strike has a 9% chance of triggering it. But Steal time hits each target five times and each hit has a 9% chance of triggering Eye of the Storm. More enemies means even more hits until you're almost guaranteed a proc. That means, if you're playing the game smartly, you can set up your highest damage abilities to crit a large percentage of the time even with very little put into crit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    abaddon523 wrote: »
    No, of course not. I didn't mean to imply that you'll get 70% crits on anything just by having eye of the storm. What I meant is that different encounter powers have different probabilities of triggering eye of the storm. A one hit power like Chill Strike has a 9% chance of triggering it. But Steal time hits each target five times and each hit has a 9% chance of triggering Eye of the Storm. More enemies means even more hits until you're almost guaranteed a proc. That means, if you're playing the game smartly, you can set up your highest damage abilities to crit a large percentage of the time even with very little put into crit.

You are correct. Again multi tick, aoe "set up" spells like coi and steal time have a higher chance per cast to proc eots right before we cast our heavy hitting shards and ss. I rarely if ever see a non crit shard or ss.
  • Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited April 2014

My opinion that Reneade need more crit. Even if you have EoTS.

Renegade is our crit tree while thaum is our power tree.

As I noticed my renegade works better with 35+ % crit. It makes nightmare wizardry/Phantasmal desctruction working.

If you are thaum 32-33% crit is fine and you can do the power stacking.
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    [...]
    Getting the ARP up to about 2200 made the damage very stable, I generally notice when I drop ARP below 2000 unless I'm in HV which tends to throw everything off base [...]
    Just for the sake of clarity: HV lowers "Defense" (aka Damage increase), where ArP lowers "Armor" -- two totally different things.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community