What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Question on a barrage of red bolts coming out of a GF in PvP

lamminatbodenlamminatboden Member Posts: 51 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi,

the threads name is bascially already my question. Here is the story:

My friend is a CW and in a recent PvP when attacking an opposing GF, she had a chance to proc a barrage of targeting red bolts firing out of the GF and hitting her. This barrage always dealt over 20k damage. She hasnt much defense, but still, this is obviously a lot.

I wanted to know where this effect comes from because I never seen it before, so I asked the opposing GF after the game. He wouldnt tell me and said this is his secret. I could inspect him though:

- his armor enchant was a soulforged
- his weapon enchant was a holy avenger (which does something else as far as I know)
- he had the valindras set, but the game text stated it has somekind of healing effect

- I am a Guardian Fighter myself and there is no feat doing this (a feat with 20k damage would be kinda too strong anyways)
- I'm pretty sure he used frontline surge, so he is an Iron Vanguard, like my GF, and there is no Daily, Encounter or Passive that has this kind of effect

- and companions are disabled in PvP

Also it never proced on my melee attacks, just on the range attacks of the CW.

Bottom line: I have no idea, where this effect is coming from! I told this guy I will just ask in the forum, and he said "don't bother with noobs in forum, they don't know". But I'm sure you will show him better ;).

Cheers
Post edited by lamminatboden on

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2014
    No, it was not supremecy of steel. i use that myself sometimes. there where no blades whirling around him and there was no circular blast.

it was a barrage of red bolt originating at his postion and flying straight toward the CW targeting her, and the damage was indeed around 20k!
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    No, it was not supremecy of steel. i use that myself sometimes. there where no blades whirling around him and there was no circular blast.

it was a barrage of red bolt originating at his postion and flying straight toward the CW targeting her, and the damage was indeed around 20k!

A gf doing 20k? in one attack?
  • Options
    frariifrarii Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The "red bolt" was probably the Knight's challenge laser tag, and the 20k was just a lungin strike critting x2 damage.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    A gf doing 20k? in one attack?

I've had Anvil of Doom crit at 36k without a Vorpal. Without critting 20 - 24k hits with Anvil are frequent. Granted the victim needs to be under 25% to get these numbers.

Back to OP, I've no idea what that was if you say it wasn't Supremacy. I run a IV GF as well and have never seen anything like that before and I've experimented with all of our powers. Closest to anything red coming from me is Knight's Challenge, but that is one red beam and it doesn't do any reactive or AOE damage.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    Maybe it was just 15k damage, but it certainly drained the CW at least half her health. I dont think it was Knight Challenge, because it wasnt a beam, but lots of distinct bolts (for a couple of seconds) that were following her while she was trying to dodge or move sideways.

And it couldnt have been a lunging strike, since I was fighting him on the point, and the CW was hitting him from above ground. He stayed right in front of me, while the bolts were flying to the CW, hitting her extremly hard.

Im beginning to see why he wanted to keep it a secret, it does seem to be something most players are not familiar with Oo.

Maybe some effect of the Valindra Set that is not in the description? (since so little actually is :/ )
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    The shield laser thing's happened to me too. Probably a boon or something, like the hr's fey thistle. Did the guy have crazy high deflection..?
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Sounds like a bloodtheft enchant to me... If that is the case, the damage didn't come from that.
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Knight's Challenge doubles the damage of a GF and sends out a red beam to indicate with whom this challange is (both, the GF and the target take double damage making it sort of a "double or nothing" game).

Anvil of Doom does double damage when a target has got 25% or less health, which stacks with Knight's Challenge and there results in a factor of 4.

Combining Anvil of Doom on a target with 25% health or less together with Knight's Challenge and then getting lucky, meaning, you do a critical hit, therefore can do as much as 30k damage.

But those hits are rare, because several conditions first need to be met like the 25% health and the critical hit, and the time window of Knight's Challenge is only 14s or so. It is not something one can build on and suddenly come out with a "Uber GF".
    Stay frosty.
  • Options
    jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2014
    fgreyspear wrote: »
    Knight's Challenge doubles the damage of a GF and sends out a red beam to indicate with whom this challange is (both, the GF and the target take double damage making it sort of a "double or nothing" game).

Anvil of Doom does double damage when a target has got 25% or less health, which stacks with Knight's Challenge and there results in a factor of 4.

Combining Anvil of Doom on a target with 25% health or less together with Knight's Challenge and then getting lucky, meaning, you do a critical hit, therefore can do as much as 30k damage.

But those hits are rare, because several conditions first need to be met like the 25% health and the critical hit, and the time window of Knight's Challenge is only 14s or so. It is not something one can build on and suddenly come out with a "Uber GF".

Think we established all of the above already latty and dont you think 30k dmg a bit low to be using KC with all those conditions met? More like 40k-50k is more sound..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
  • Options
    edited April 2014
    The shield laser thing's happened to me too. Probably a boon or something, like the hr's fey thistle. Did the guy have crazy high deflection..?

I don't know how the Fey Thistle Boon looks like, but I don't think it was that. The CW was hitting the GF and nothing happened, then suddenly this continous barrage of bolts started and ended at some point. He had really high deflection, but it would be pretty unprobable that it never triggers, then suddenly 20times in a row (i'm not sure the CW could have actually hit him that often to trigger that much damage) and then again not anymore.

Or does this boon works differently than said in its description? Does anyone know?

So this is somekind of PvP Ubersecret only few people know and own the rest with? ;=)
  • Options
    jessebrownjrjessebrownjr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 58
    edited April 2014
    I don't know how the Fey Thistle Boon looks like, but I don't think it was that. The CW was hitting the GF and nothing happened, then suddenly this continous barrage of bolts started and ended at some point. He had really high deflection, but it would be pretty unprobable that it never triggers, then suddenly 20times in a row (i'm not sure the CW could have actually hit him that often to trigger that much damage) and then again not anymore.

Or does this boon works differently than said in its description? Does anyone know?

So this is somekind of PvP Ubersecret only few people know and own the rest with? ;=)

Well basically SoS procs off DOTs too and CWs have alot of those , EVERY single time you hit a GF under SoS you will get your dmg reflected . More than likely he knew he was fighting two people so he popped his SoS to burn down the squishy backliner and block your attacks only to be bursting down the mage and stalemating you.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Tenacity Who? Versus GF Master means nada.
  • Options
    fgreyspearfgreyspear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 472 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2014
    Think we established all of the above already latty and dont you think 30k dmg a bit low to be using KC with all those conditions met? More like 40k-50k is more sound..
    Just helping to confirm what has already been written. Nothing to be afraid of, son.
    Stay frosty.