test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fixing PVP without breaking PVE

shipoffoolsshipoffools Member Posts: 8 Arc User
edited April 2014 in PvE Discussion
I play mainly PVE, but I do enjoy PVP now and then. With that said, I have a rational fix for PVP that would allow fine tuning of PVP and PVE without causing undue issues with either one.

Simply, at level 10-ish when you are sent to the Trade of Blades with the Domination quest, you'd unlock a second set up of both Feats and Powers.

So at level 10, you'd approach the Trade of Blades, and explained that when you enter into the PVP arena, your powers and feats will reflect the powers and feats chosen from the PVP tree, all other times your powers and feats will reflect those chosen from the PVE tree.

The game mechanic already is set up to switch characters between the PVE and PVP modes (suppression of healing, unable to use PVE potions, health stones, etc and the suppression of pets) so this is just a change to have the Q, E, R, 1, 2 reflect an alternate power set.

Let's say we pick on the GF build designed to keep player's pinned without any chance to save themselves. As a GF, it's a great PVE skill when dealing with the stronger non-boss mobs. Enough PVP people complain about it, and eventually it'll be 'tuned' in such a way that a highly effective PVE combination of powers and feats will be reduced in effectiveness, or simply nerfed to the point of uselessness. With a dual-spec system in play with non-related powers the PVP feats and powers could be tuned for balanced PVP while leaving the PVE powers and feats untouched.

Also having true PVP and PVE power/feat trees means that the game is taking PVP as seriously as they take PVE, more people would play in the PVP portion of the game for more than the ability to score 24000 points for the PVP artifact and then quit playing in the events.

It shouldn't be a complex issue of coding, more than half of it is already done. Adding a second set of bindings and a new power/feat tree would not be difficult. Ask the players - they know what they want and it would make the game a lot more fun and would put a new longevity into the game.
Post edited by shipoffools on

Comments

• Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This together with a dual-spec (PvP and PvE) option is something that I, and probably others before me, have been suggesting for a while.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    This together with a dual-spec (PvP and PvE) option is something that I, and probably others before me, have been suggesting for a while.

the issue here is duel specing may be "seen" by the company as a drain on zen sales. Whether it is or not. We can only pray for a setup like rift has. Specing is something rift got spot on, in my opinion.
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    It can be solved the way Dragon Nest has it - Every skill has PvE effects and PvP effects. The difference reflects in the power output, the cooldown, the heal amount, the stun duration, whatever that skill is about. That way PvP balancing can be handled separately from PvE balancing. Permastealth TRs can lose their ability to be perma in PvP and still perma their way through solo CN.
  • Options
    kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    What happens when Mod 3 comes out and you are fighting both players and mobs at the same time? Seems like there would be problems with the idea of dual-specs as well as abilities with dual-effects.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • Options
    smishmintsmishmint Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »

Someone in another thread made a suggestion to buff a certain class because his PvE spec performed badly in PvP matches and he thought he shouldn't have to spec specifically for PvP to do good in PvP matches. It's ridiculous that people think a class warrants buffs in PvP because PvE spec characters perform badly.

What's even more ridiculous though, is that there isn't a duel-spec or even a pvp-only-spec option available. The ability to complain about PvE specs performing badly in PvP shouldn't even be an option because their should be a secondary pvp-only-spec enabled in PvP matches.
  • Options
    spongebob56spongebob56 Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I agree there are issues with trying to balance both PvE and PvP together. For example: a CW rocks in PvE with their AoE which doesn't translate well when fighting 1v1 in PvP. Increasing their single target damage detracts from their purpose in PvE and takes away the usefulness of classes that are suppose to excel at single target.

Duel speccing? I don't know about that. It seems like a lot of work. The key, I believe, is having tenacity effect classes differently. For example, a GF should get less defense from tenacity but when they hit something their damage should be reduced less by their opponents tenacity.
  • Options
    shipoffoolsshipoffools Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    skalt112 wrote: »
    the issue here is duel specing may be "seen" by the company as a drain on zen sales. Whether it is or not. We can only pray for a setup like rift has. Specing is something rift got spot on, in my opinion.

I don't think so - quite the opposite actually... The vast majority have a PVE main and if they are serious about PVP, they will grind up another character spec'd and geared to PVP with. Giving players the ability to have a PVE and a PVP spec will actually have more people spending Zen/AD to 'get the perfect character'. Hell I'd even pay for a separate PVP power/feat tree so I didn't have to grind up another toon in PVE just to re-spec for PVP AND re-gear it.

I love the game, and it has such amazing potential, but this isn't the 90's anymore. If you want to have a PVP game - and clearly Module 3 is indicating a larger emphasis on PVP then the designers need to jump in with both cheeks. Halfassing the PVP portion of the game isn't going to keep people happy.
  • Options
    mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    This is actually a wonderful idea! Honestly, this fixes everything. I suggested alternatives to the gwf nerfs coming in mod 3, but this is much much better!! it solves everything and allows cryptic to balance the game without pissing people off. It also means that I wouldn't be laughed at as I head into pvp with my Avatar of War set to grind the artifact and end up with a -500 k/d ratio lol. This would be fantastic if implemented. But I think Cryptic has too much fun destroy people's hopes and dreams when they begin to enjoy their classes to see the sense in this.