test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Takedown able to hit players while their out of range!??!?!

lvl99looterlvl99looter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 682 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Militia Barracks
That's complete bs -.-... If a GF were to use Knee Breaker/Griffin's Wrath and MISS. We have to wait for a 10s+ cooldown. How are GWF's able to knock you down, while you're 5-7 ft away from them!? Plus, Griffin's Wrath stun is WAAYYY to short.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Umm you have bad latency would be my guess.
  • Options
    destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No I know what he means. takedown is a lock on skill. Even if you move out of the way, a good lets say a TR's dodge roll's length. You still get hit sometimes. Its not latency cause I've done it and have been hit by it in the same way.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Latency has NOTHING to do with the animation range. The point I'm making here is that GWFs can knock you prone using takedown, even if get a logical safe distance away from their attack. Same issue with the one attack they have that stabs their sword through you and stuns you.
    meanwhile GFs can EASILY waste Griffin's Wrath or Knee Breaker if a enemy barely has 3ft of distance away from you.
  • Options
    dasparildasparil Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That's complete bs -.-... If a GF were to use Knee Breaker/Griffin's Wrath and MISS. We have to wait for a 10s+ cooldown. How are GWF's able to knock you down, while you're 5-7 ft away from them!? Plus, Griffin's Wrath stun is WAAYYY to short.

emmm no , in fact takedown takes so long to land i am amazed when people do not roll/ dodge / cc me first /
    block It , way too often even with the abysmal animation taking so long to land i just get an IMMUNE message and full CD with people not going prone or taking dmg
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    dasparil wrote: »
    emmm no , in fact takedown takes so long to land i am amazed when people do not roll/ dodge / cc me first /
    block It , way too often even with the abysmal animation taking so long to land i just get an IMMUNE message and full CD with people not going prone or taking dmg

I have plenty of clips recorded showing how GWFs can take me down, even though I'm logically at a safe distance.
  • Options
    loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    He's right. Takedown has like a 5' reach or something. I quite often hit players that are well beyond melee range.

Assumption: It appears like the skill locks the target as soon as Takedown is activated and then tackles the opponent although he/she is moving away and might already be out of range.
  • Options
    terryclothterrycloth Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The skill says it has something like a 12' reach? Most of the GWF skills have a really long 'melee' range, either 12' or 17'. Even in PVE you're constantly hitting things that look like logically they'd be out of reach. It's just one of the things about the class.
  • Options
    lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How are GWF's able to knock you down, while you're 5-7 ft away from them!?

Might be the ping. Very unfortunately Cryptic has implemented no mechanism of compensation for ping. I'd say, try /netgraph 1 and if over 100 then stay away from pvp.
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • Options
    wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Woah woah woah. I'm on the "GFs are underpowered" boat along with everyone else, but let's not jump to conclusions. I think I know what you're talking about, and GF's Lunging Strike does the same thing. I've been pleasantly surprised to strike someone who was just out of range.

I have a theory that it has something to do with how the game registers a hit. I think the game registers the target location at the beginning of a skill animation and then double checks the target location to make sure it's a hit. It's probably to give your opponent a chance to dodge/block, kinda like how certain mobs will telegraph their moves, only in this case you're only telegraphing for a fraction of a second. I've noticed Lunging Strike (and I think Bull Rush and maybe even Threatening Rush) can "misfire". Your character will attempt to use a skill and will fail if the opponent moves just out of range in between the first check and the second check (they should be blocking/dodging, but just moving out of range works too). This doesn't start the cooldown timer (I guess the cooldown initiates after the skill officially lands), so sometimes you get this weird (and funny) situation where you keep trying to use Lunging Strike and it misfires over and over, so it kinda looks like you're chasing your opponent with failed Lunging Strikes.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is the skills check based on the target location rather than the target itself. Usually it's the same thing, but sometimes it's not. So if your skill lands right where the target was on the second check, it's a hit. But your target doesn't actually have to be there. If they are on a mount, they could move a few feet in between the second check and the actual hit. We're talking a very small fraction of a second delay.

So that's my theory. I could be wrong. But the point is I've seen it happen with Lunging Strike.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Takedown can follow the enemy a bit. I can still evade it through sprint. It does not hit TRs who rolled away or CWs who teleported.
    Latency can be the problem, the power itself is fine, is WAI and Always worked that way i the last months.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    wildfire5 wrote: »
    Woah woah woah. I'm on the "GFs are underpowered" boat along with everyone else, but let's not jump to conclusions. I think I know what you're talking about, and GF's Lunging Strike does the same thing. I've been pleasantly surprised to strike someone who was just out of range.

I have a theory that it has something to do with how the game registers a hit. I think the game registers the target location at the beginning of a skill animation and then double checks the target location to make sure it's a hit. It's probably to give your opponent a chance to dodge/block, kinda like how certain mobs will telegraph their moves, only in this case you're only telegraphing for a fraction of a second. I've noticed Lunging Strike (and I think Bull Rush and maybe even Threatening Rush) can "misfire". Your character will attempt to use a skill and will fail if the opponent moves just out of range in between the first check and the second check (they should be blocking/dodging, but just moving out of range works too). This doesn't start the cooldown timer (I guess the cooldown initiates after the skill officially lands), so sometimes you get this weird (and funny) situation where you keep trying to use Lunging Strike and it misfires over and over, so it kinda looks like you're chasing your opponent with failed Lunging Strikes.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is the skills check based on the target location rather than the target itself. Usually it's the same thing, but sometimes it's not. So if your skill lands right where the target was on the second check, it's a hit. But your target doesn't actually have to be there. If they are on a mount, they could move a few feet in between the second check and the actual hit. We're talking a very small fraction of a second delay.

So that's my theory. I could be wrong. But the point is I've seen it happen with Lunging Strike.

Lunging Strike and Takedown do not have the same concept. Takedown is a CC power, Lunging Strike is a GAP closer. If I had to compare a GF CC power with Takedown then I would compare Griffin's Wrath with Takedown. Griffin's Wrath will miss, and go on a 100% cool down if the target leaves range. If Takedown misses, there's a brief cool down.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    Takedown can follow the enemy a bit. I can still evade it through sprint. It does not hit TRs who rolled away or CWs who teleported.
    Latency can be the problem, the power itself is fine, is WAI and Always worked that way i the last months.

I get the feeling I'ma have to upload a few clips of the topic so people can see what I mean lol.
  • Options
    kolevrakolevra Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Takedown has a 13' Range and 3' cylinder. The animation includes a small slide forward before the strike. There is only a reduced cooldown if you mis-target and dont get the lock-on. No reduced cooldown if you land the lock-on but the target is immune/dodging/blocking etc. Without this "lock-on" GWFs would barely ever land Takedowns in PvP since moving enemies(everyone is constantly moving in PvP) would avoid it and players who bunny-hop would be impossible to ever hit. This is similar to how a TR can land a lashing blade from 10 feet away, you see the big purple knife over there next to him and somehow it still hit you. It's a necessary element of this games combat system.
    --- Ranked matches need to be solo-queue only
    Enforce rainbow parties in PvP ---- 10v10 PvP ----
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Lunging Strike and Takedown do not have the same concept. Takedown is a CC power, Lunging Strike is a GAP closer. If I had to compare a GF CC power with Takedown then I would compare Griffin's Wrath with Takedown. Griffin's Wrath will miss, and go on a 100% cool down if the target leaves range. If Takedown misses, there's a brief cool down.

Yah, and that might give GWFs an advantage. But to be fair Lunging Strike is an AMAZING gap closer and if you have a weapon with a DoT like Plaguefire you can use it to actually disable someone on a mount. Griffon's Wrath will lock on to a target but not follow it. I find a good way to use Griffon's Wrath is to chain right after Bull Rush and/or when someone is up against a wall or even in the process of attacking you. If you're out of block meter and are being poked to death by a TR you have nothing to lose right? It's also good for ambushing in the thick of battle, although not blocking in that situation can be dangerous.

Bull Rush would be a better example, and I don't know if it does the same thing. Yes, please upload clips.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When someone dodges it you don't get the reduced cooldown even though it missed.

Now that is BS.
  • Options
    dhuras1dhuras1 Member Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I wish I knew how they were doing it. I almost never hit with Takedown, if my target is aware of me, unless I stun them with Flourish first.

I believe you need a feat for reduced cool downs on a miss.
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When someone dodges it you don't get the reduced cooldown even though it missed.

Now that is BS.

Yup, cause it hits the immunity TRs/ CWs/DCs/HRs have during dodge.

Also, takedown animation is a bit slow. The GWF rises him weapon and struck it down. It's easy to see and avoid or make it hit your immunity (shield or dodge).
    Also damage is not high unless it crits.

To the OP:

I think if people now starts complaining about takedown, it could get really ridiculous.

I mean, is there something about GWFs people do not complain about? Are you serious guys? (the OP).

I can dodge this move with sprint, a HR/TR/CW/DC can dodge it like a joke in 1v1 unless the GWF is really good at timing and predict the enemy movements (aka: sprint directly to where the enemy is teleporting/ dodging and hit him when he get there. I do it sometimes).

So move along. Stop complaining about every single move of other classes and learn to play your own.

A "takedown is unfair" thread is really a joke.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    Yup, cause it hits the immunity TRs/ CWs/DCs/HRs have during dodge.

Also, takedown animation is a bit slow. The GWF rises him weapon and struck it down. It's easy to see and avoid or make it hit your immunity (shield or dodge).
    Also damage is not high unless it crits.

To the OP:

I think if people now starts complaining about takedown, it could get really ridiculous.

I mean, is there something about GWFs people do not complain about? Are you serious guys? (the OP).

I can dodge this move with sprint, a HR/TR/CW/DC can dodge it like a joke in 1v1 unless the GWF is really good at timing and predict the enemy movements (aka: sprint directly to where the enemy is teleporting/ dodging and hit him when he get there. I do it sometimes).

So move along. Stop complaining about every single move of other classes and learn to play your own.

A "takedown is unfair" thread is really a joke.

"I can dodge this move with sprint, a HR/TR/CW/DC can dodge it like a joke in 1v1," so what about the GF? Judging you based on the information you've provided, I assume you don't have a GF. Therefore you don't fully understand how weak the guard meter is, or how MUCH skill is required to even be a DECENT GF.

"Stop complaining about every single move of other classes and learn to play your own." Brah, I know EVERYTHING there is too know about my class, and what works and what doesn't work in PvP & PvE. I'ma GFM son (Guardian Fighter MASTER). You better ask somebody about me lol (Ant-Monster). Lemme put you up on some game lil dude. Before Module 2 GWFs were challenging, but still killable if the GF knew how to fight them tactically. However, that is no more. It wasn't until Module 2 when you guys were given a TASTE, a SAMPLE of the GF's powers which made GWFs overpowered. Do you understand what I'm saying? You didn't have ALL our powers, not even half of them, just a SAMPLE of our powers sent GWFs through the roof!

Here's another thing you don't understand. In order to even be a DECENT GF (not good, not the best, not a master) with ALL the disadvantages GF have, the skill level required is FAR greater than most classes. For example, what do you think will happen to a TR if he couldn't dodge or use ITC? What do you think would happen to a GWF in PvP if he didn't have unstoppable, no shield to block, and no ranged prone/stun attacks vs. a DECENT GF? So far, there's only 7 GFM's in the game. And even we can't kill a GWF 1v1, even with the new tactics we created. You know why? Because it's out of our control, there's NOTHING we can do as of right now to go toe-to-toe with a GWF. We're not even TANKS brah, we're distractions, MF'in companions that you bring along to dungeons lol. If ANY GF feels he wants to talk trash about the GWF who doesn't rightfully DESERVE our powers, so be it. Because it's doesn't belong to you guys.

Ant-Monster 1/7 GFMs,
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    One thing I'm actually looking forward to is rolling a CW and using the awareness and twitch skills I learned from playing a GF (which I still love) to kick *** with it. It'll feel like I'm playing in bullet time. xD
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    wildfire5 wrote: »
    One thing I'm actually looking forward to is rolling a CW and using the awareness and twitch skills I learned from playing a GF (which I still love) to kick *** with it. It'll feel like I'm playing in bullet time. xD

Man, I'm tryna tell em brah. People don't realize the skill level GFs develop because we're forced too lol.
  • Options
    thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    dasparil wrote: »

I've had GWFs Takedown-prone me when I try to Bull Charge them through the wind-up on Takedown. . .

Back to OP: And yes, they can also start it before they even reach the node and I'm on my rear-end when I'm at a distance from them that I cannot even trigger Anvil of Doom.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2014
    I wonder why GF doesnt have like the knee breaker lock-on , or maybe the griffon lock-on ....
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    do u wona know what else is op? luanging strike 9k base damage and easy 6sec cd...if anything takedown need to have its damage improved by a lot
  • Options
    edited March 2014

start using shield and do not try to run out when u see someone to use skills...u got 3 chance to hit with Griffin's Wrath
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I wonder why GF doesnt have like the knee breaker lock-on , or maybe the griffon lock-on ....

gf do have lock on on the skill with 3 charges Griffin's Wrath it get it with pvp update my gf moves to target a bit
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    gf do have lock on on the skill with 3 charges Griffin's Wrath it get it with pvp update my gf moves to target a bit

What are you talking about lol , the griffon only got its animation speed adjusted, it doesnt lock on or either move to the target ...if u are not close enough u miss the charge.

Dont be here putting GWF and GF equal cuz u dont kno what ur talking about...

GF is clearly in a pure dissadvantage since module 2 came along
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    What are you talking about lol , the griffon only got its animation speed adjusted, it doesnt lock on or either move to the target ...if u are not close enough u miss the charge.

Dont be here putting GWF and GF equal cuz u dont kno what ur talking about...

GF is clearly in a pure dissadvantage since module 2 came along

takedown works like this to it only moves to target if u are close enough not to miss

i used to miss with griffon all the time but since pvp update i almost never miss
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    warpet wrote: »
    takedown works like this to it only moves to target if u are close enough not to miss

i used to miss with griffon all the time but since pvp update i almost never miss

Dude, most of the encounters of the class should be seriously re-vamped and griffon is one of them
  • Options
    smishmintsmishmint Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The first response in the thread was the right answer.
    I often play a GWF in PvP and very often I notice other GWFs can hit me when I'm 5-7 ft away as well, yet when I try to takedown them, sometimes I'm out of range even if their right in front of me. So why is MY takedown have such a short range yet other GWFs hit me with this long range like the OP is describing? It's latency, same reason other melee classes can hit you when their half way across the node.

Regarding their lunge attack, flurry, it has a long distance. The character will move an entire character length forward in the animation, which has a long windup. The best way to handle it is to dodge or block it. Again, it has a long windup, longer than takedown. Both of those encounters are what most GWFs use in PvP, they both have long windups and can be dodged. If someone cannot dodge them, they unfortunately have too much latency to do so.

If the GWF and their opponent are equally geared, dodges must be saved for these two attacks. Generally you don't have to worry about a GWF at-willing you to death if both those long windup attacks can be dodged. This also means that they are SM spec and not IV, meaning if equally geared, they won't at-will anyone to death.

If they are DPS geared, it means after you dodged their two stuns, they're dead either in 1 or 2 sets of dodging, if they are tank geared like most good ones are, they're going to be hitting for piddly squat damage. In any case, if a GWF has both flurry and takedown(SM spec), unless an equally geared class has too high latency to dodge or block, they won't kill you. The good news is, most GWF actually use the inferior SM spec instead of IV.

I can't give advice from POV of a GF at lvl 60. But I can give advice from POV of classes with dodge mechanic and from POV of GWF against a GF.

If I'm playing my GWF and up against a CW(class with dodge mechanic) for example, I have to wait until he blinks to cast either of these encounters or a good CW will never get stunned.

I understand GF aren't very good for PvP right now, but their stuns have a similar aspect, they can hit you when they logically are too far away from receivers POV.