test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

3 Million Players Slain In NWO - Statistics To Cure Insomnia

drowbynightdrowbynight Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
When I first read the header that says 3 million players have died in pvp battles, I was impressed. But when I scrolled down and read the part saying that 2.27 million characters have been created, I calculated on average each character has died only 1.4 times after so many months since mod2 started.

One may say many players do not use most of their characters for pvp. Ok, sure, if I assume one in ten i.e. 227k characters contribute to 3mil deaths in pvp, that means an average of 14 deaths/char. Hmm, that's still low. If I stretch the assumption further and say 1 in 100 ie 22,700 characters make up the 3mil deaths, that works out to be 140 deaths/char. Well now, I estimate that my character that actively plays in PVP battles have died at least 500 times after so many months, and I am sure most of those active pvp players out there will swear that even this number is too low! Anyway, using that number you have about 6k players dying an average of 500 times.

By this time, you may have either fallen asleep or you may start to wonder: if only 0.2% of the 2.27 mil characters are actively playing pvp, why do they bother putting so much effort to build up pvp in Mod 3? :p

P.S. Statistics are a double edged sword - use with caution!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What amazes me is that Devoted Clerics are the least-played of all the classes and I didm;t expect such a high number of Rangers! I'm thinking to dust-off my Cleric and galavanting up and down the sword coast as apparently they are more rare than Guardian Fighters, which is a surprise based on all the negative comments in the forums.

Kudos Cryptic! I've always loved to see these kind of stats at Star Trek Online and really happy to see them for Neverwinter. Unfortunately these kinds of fun stats are too far and few between release.

@OP: Even if 2.27 Million players were created, only a micro-fraction of those even bother with PvP. So your math, though it may be accurate presuming *every* character created played PvP, is off by this one factor. The missing stats is how many of the 2.27 Million created characters have actually participated in PvP. Knowing this would allow the proper resource statistics to create an accurate count. As a solid guess, I'd redo your math, but based on only 10% (which I think is really high) of the total characters created that have actually played PvP even once.

(I'm willing to bet it's actually 1% or less of the characters created that have played, or continue to play PvP - nothing authoritative, just a gut-feeling). :)
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What amazes me is that Devoted Clerics are the least-played of all the classes and I didm;t expect such a high number of Rangers! I'm thinking to dust-off my Cleric and galavanting up and down the sword coast as apparently they are more rare than Guardian Fighters, which is a surprise based on all the negative comments in the forums.

Kudos Cryptic! I've always loved to see these kind of stats at Star Trek Online and really happy to see them for Neverwinter. Unfortunately these kinds of fun stats are too far and few between release.

It's since Module 2. I would expect the ranger percentage to be higher than the others since it was the module 2 new class.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @OP: Even if 2.27 Million players were created, only a micro-fraction of those even bother with PvP. So your math, though it may be accurate presuming *every* character created played PvP, is off by this one factor. The missing stats is how many of the 2.27 Million created characters have actually participated in PvP. Knowing this would allow the proper resource statistics to create an accurate count. As a solid guess, I'd redo your math, but based on only 10% (which I think is really high) of the total characters created that have actually played PvP even once.

I am glad that my post has apparently put you in a sleepy state, so much that you've only read the first paragraph and ignored the rest. At the end of my post I am already assuming only 0.2% ie 6k characters are actively playing pvp.
  • Options
    refracted0dawnrefracted0dawn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 894 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No players died at all - I didn't.

My characters have almost all died many times, especially the uber-nerfed Clerics. I have two, a Tiefling 60 AC Healer/Buffer and a Dwarven 49 AC Battle Cleric. They go down like a sack of the brown and smelly if caught in cross-fire. No wonder they are so rare.

They do dreadfully poor damage and if I there is one in the party, some of the GF and GWF think they can be Immortal Kamikazes and stand in the cross-fire of six Illithid and the Boss and survive. Then they expect you to go in and revive them and get all shirty if you'd prefer not to commit suicide as well. And half the time, they run away and get killed before I can heal them after reviving them.

They should remember the nursery school mantra:

"Danger is RED, Healing is BLUE
    Yellow is Safe and so are YOU!"

My friend has a Wizard who tanks better then some of these "Tanks", and he got kicked from a dungeon because he was the last to die, and some GWF fool was raging that if he had been playing his Wizard "properly", he should have died first!

What the...?

Thank Clanggeddin's boots we can block these clowns.

~
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    They do dreadfully poor damage and if I there is one in the party, some of the GF and GWF think they can be Immortal Kamikazes and stand in the cross-fire of six Illithid and the Boss and survive. Then they expect you to go in and revive them and get all shirty if you'd prefer not to commit suicide as well. And half the time, they run away and get killed before I can heal them after reviving them.~

The header is kind of misleading, if you scroll down the statistics is actually saying "3,258,297 characters have died in PVP battles". Thanks for reading my post anyway.
  • Options
    morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I'm actually suprised by how many DCs and GFs there are.

I assume they're factoring in all characters, so a pretty high percentage of those are actually alts. It would be interesting to see what the percentages are by actual playtime, rather than just "number of toons". Especially if they could do it as a function of time (early days: mostly TRs and CWs, then mostly CWs, then mostly CWs and GWFs, then..mostly CWs).
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am glad that my post has apparently put you in a sleepy state, so much that you've only read the first paragraph and ignored the rest. At the end of my post I am already assuming only 0.2% ie 6k characters are actively playing pvp.

I'm always in a sleepy state. And caveat: I am always funning. I hope you'll laugh with me, not at me. :)
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    .,. .,. .,..
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tcarnce wrote: »
    topic opener fails a bit ;p it says since shadowmantle launch.
    so this topic actualy already is non valid if it comes to info given ;p

In my post, in the first paragraph I have indicated that I fully understand that this statistics is taken "since mod2 started" i.e. Shadowmantle. I don't know why you say that the topic is non valid, but do feel free to elaborate. I hope I don't sound too defensive, and I am also in a sleepy mood, my mind is fuzzy and I hope that I don't need to count to 3 million sheeps before I fall asleep :p
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    yes ok sorry, read wrong, we already have our opinion ready when pwe comes with numbers again, because it `s each time the same thing. thanks for not quoting entirely, because i actualy came to remove that part. don`t want to put my account at risk.
    we re not sleepy ;p we just don`t read the whole thing.
  • Options
    atzellsatzells Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As much as i try to stay away from forums i just want to bring a little fact up.
    Most of them are probably bots , its not that hard to figure out. Most of the times there are around 1500-2000 active bots in game farming in Old Sharandar Ruins ( yes you can see that by searching for Old Sharandar Ruins ) As far as i have tracked them , they do get banned , once every 2 weeks or so ( at least some of them ) but then again make new accounts and keep coming back.
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have 3 toons on Dragon, the GF is played most then the HR, then the DC. I have a GWF on Owlbear that I have played 3-4 times. His first day (during double xp) I got him to level 25, the third time I got him to lvl 26 and the last time to lvl 27.
    morsitans wrote: »

I assume they're factoring in all characters, so a pretty high percentage of those are actually alts. It would be interesting to see what the percentages are by actual playtime, rather than just "number of toons". Especially if they could do it as a function of time (early days: mostly TRs and CWs, then mostly CWs, then mostly CWs and GWFs, then..mostly CWs).
  • Options
    aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't have the exact information on how the statistics are gotten but I think that number may be wrong depending on how you look at it.
    In pvp, a death is not recorded if you in the dying state and then resurrected by a teammate.
    However a death is recorded if you are resurrected by the Soulforged enchantment. If you then fall again and die because an enemy kicked your corpse or time ran out, you receive another death count.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    the pwe post could be just very truthfull as it comes to the content of it ;p
    only thing being wrong is the titel, stating each char was from a different player.

you don`t take the number of chars created before shadow, which are also counted in the chars died since shadow. (if those are played after;p)
    also, you seem to turn around total chars died, to total deaths.
    i`m out of forum again ;p
    not realy a fan of it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    tcarnce wrote: »
    the pwe post could be just very truthfull as it comes to the content of it ;p
    only thing being wrong is the titel, stating each char was from a different player.

you don`t take the number of chars created before shadow, which are also counted in the chars died since shadow. (if those are played after;p)
    also, you seem to turn around total chars died, to total deaths.
    i`m out of forum again ;p
    not realy a fan of it.

I agree that it is possible that Cryptic may be trying to convey that 3 million characters have died in pvp battles since mod 2 was launched, regardless of whether they've died 1 time or 500 times.

It's possible but it's not likely. Please be reminded that they are currently working on the pvp leadshipboard thing and they are tracking number of kills i.e deaths to calculate the scores, other than the score gained for assist/capturing bases. It is always there when you press 'X', they are actively capturing that data. On the other hand, to separate out characters that have died at least once in pvp battles, regardless of whether the character is still existing or has been deleted, is a technically challenging task. The former is easy because they are getting aggregate data. The one that you are proposing involves a lot of sifting through individual characters and their tags, and let's say e.g. there's a total of 6million characters created, so that means looking through 6mil packages/fields of data to generate the result. While of course it is possible to design a query script to set the conditions to sift through the data, but compared to getting the aggregate number of pvp deaths, which is easily available, which one do you think Cryptic would have picked to show?
  • Options
    mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    morsitans wrote: »

For obvious reasons they will not publish this figure, especially not for high level instances.
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A very small percentage of the community is actively involved in PvP. Most people do PvP only for the daily, do it for the raven skull and then stop or don't bother with PvP at all. It just seems like a lot of people are PvPers in Neverwinter because the ones who do actively PvP are .... ahh.. very very loud and persistent.
  • Options
    edyitedyit Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    A very small percentage of the community is actively involved in PvP. Most people do PvP only for the daily, do it for the raven skull and then stop or don't bother with PvP at all. It just seems like a lot of people are PvPers in Neverwinter because the ones who do actively PvP are .... ahh.. very very loud and persistent.

This sounds about right. I hate pvp with everything in me. I suffered through enough of it to get the Raven Skull and will never ever set foot in another pvp match again. DnD which this game is based off of was never intended for pvp. Sadly when you look at these forums the most posts are from the pvpers QQing nerf this nerf that. And now a new expansion coming with pvp in it. Really hope I'm not going to be forced into pvp, that has driven me away from other games and would probably do the same here.
  • Options
    lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When I first read the header that says 3 million players have died in pvp battles, I was impressed. But when I scrolled down and read the part saying that 2.27 million characters have been created

How is it even possible? If 2,27 million chars have been created, then at best 2,27 million chars may have died. At worst, by the way, not at best.
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2014
    im pretty sure i have over 30k+ kills in PvP since Open Beta till now
  • Options
    onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My guess regarding the connection between comparatively few PvP players and the new module's PvP-centric push was market research. I bet their marketing department realized PvP players on average spend more actual money than PvE players.

It kinda makes sense. Neverwinter's history to date has been a series of class nerfs in the name of PvP balance. That those nerfs were/are detrimental to PvE is merely an unfortunate side effect. Cryptic's simply trying to attract a specific demographic.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    The flaw in your math is that you're not including the characters created before mod2 was released. Nor could you have, since those figures are not given. But they also contribute to the no of kills.

(Warning! Wall of text incoming :o)

You're right. I used what was published even though it was on the low side. Let's use 2 proxy numbers to represent what can be the total number of characters created (including those deleted and recreated) since the game started (since beta), just to take a look at the results:

1) Total number of characters: 6 million

- First interpretation of the "3m players slain" may mean individual unique characters that have been killed in pvp combat at least once. Even if a character has died 500 times, it is still counted as 1. Then this just means 50% of the total population has participated in pvp at least once.

- Second interpretation of the "3m players slain" is the number of multiple deaths in pvp in total. Different characters have different degrees of participation in pvp events, say from a low number 1 to perhaps a high 2,000 deaths since Mod 2 was launched on 5 Dec. I took a relatively safe number of 500 as an average. So on average 3m deaths based on an average of 500 deaths/char shows that only about 6,000 characters actively participate in pvp, on average. 6,000 out of a population of 6m is 0.1%.

2) Total number of characters: 9 million
    (I'm just going to copy and paste everything in 1 above except for the numbers)

- First interpretation of the "3m players slain" may mean individual unique characters that have been killed in pvp combat at least once. Even if a character has died 500 times, it is still counted as 1. Then this just means 33% of the total population has participated in pvp at least once.

- Second interpretation of the "3m players slain" is the number of multiple deaths in pvp in total. Different characters have different degrees of participation in pvp events, say from a low number 1 to perhaps a high 2,000 deaths since Mod 2 was launched on 5 Dec. I took a relatively safe number of 500 as an average. So on average 3m deaths based on an average of 500 deaths/char shows that only about 6,000 characters actively participate in pvp, on average. 6,000 out of a population of 9m is 0.0667%.

I am of the opinion that the second interpretation is what Cryptic had published. At the end of the day, I am trying to say that there is only a small percentage of characters participating in pvp and putting so much focus in building up pvp content for mod 3 may disappoint many players that do not fancy pvp. The worst case scenario that can happen is that these pve players may walk away from the game until mod 4 comes out (or they go away forever, who knows?).
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i see a lot of assumption and conjecture in this thread.

PWE's release of the information described in the OP wasn't intended to spark a debate on the state of the game, the decline of the population or any other doom and gloom speculation... it was all in good fun. at least that's how i read it.

for as long as i've been here, the doom and gloomers have been here as well. every game has a life cycle. what that life cycle is or how it's determined i'm sure is a debatable topic. with every class balance change or major patch or module release, there is always someone that doesn't like the changes, doesn't agree with the changes and maybe for them, it's a game changer, but that doesn't mean it is for everyone or that the game is on the outs. this is a f2p game where it's a simple download just to try out. some will stay, some will go. some will stay for a month and linger on to other f2p titles. some with go on to become part of the core player base. PWE has all of those metrics. we, however, do not.

so the ongoing debate about how the population as a whole will embrace (or not) the upcoming patch... who knows. there's plenty of content for both pvp and pve centric players. if you like to dabble in both then you'll be pretty busy until m4 drops. but you have to take what you read on these forums with a grain of salt because whether you want to believe it or not, we are the vocal minority. the forum population of any MMORPG represents less than 10% of the entire gaming population of said MMORPG. and 10% is a generous figure. it's probably more like 5% or less.

PWE has stated that changes have been implemented based on our feedback but that is not limited to the forums. they pull data from all of the sources they have available to them which is far more than what we have available to us. when a mechanic isn't working, they know because they can tell how little it's being used. that's not to say that our feedback on the forums isn't important. it is. it's not always all of what they're looking at when they're considering changes.