test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mod 3 power rework and its effect on the GF

evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
Had a quick look at this by comparing my GF on live versus test.

I have 10k+ power and have seen between 1.6% to 11% increase on my powers, with the 11% increase on the max dmg of the power. Note this is only on the tooltip and not actual gameplay damage dealt.

Lunging Strike however has had a 11%-18% decrease, although I didn't trust the tooltip on this encounter after mod 2 since it seemed a bit high.

I know the tooltips are not really reliable on the GF (think it adds the 15% increase for temp hit points if wraitful warrior is taken) but it looks like we are getting a damage increase. However, since this will effect all classes it's not going to help us get groups, especially with the KC MAJOR nerf.

I would be grateful if someone could look into this with more detail since I'm not that good at math.

Sorry if this has been covered already or explained elsewhere, I haven't had time to read all the forums.
Post edited by evalira on

Comments

• hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have 6,6 k power.On preview all remained the same except a 8-10% LS damage reduction and a 10-15% crescendo buff.All the others are the same for me.Anvil ,knee breaker etc.
  • zolronzolron Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have 6,6 k power.On preview all remained the same except a 8-10% LS damage reduction and a 10-15% crescendo buff.All the others are the same for me.Anvil ,knee breaker etc.

Seriously..nerfing lunging strike damage? I love this game, but with all the broken skills and unbalanced classes, this is what is pressing for GF's? Well, I guess it will make my move to ESO easier then.
  • gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    When we reworked power we didn't directly touch Lunging Strike. I will look into it right now, but I think I know why your tooltip was reduced. It might be reading out the part of the secondary cone damage by mistake. Let me do a little digging, as we didn't intend to nerf Lunging Strike. Can you see if you deal the same damage by using it?

EDIT: My tooltip is actually reporting the base strike damage and some of the rear cone damage added together (like it should). Is there a discrepancy between your damage output and the tooltip? And in what direction. We haven't made changes to Lunging Strike since we added the secondary cone to it in 2.5.
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When we reworked power we didn't directly touch Lunging Strike. I will look into it right now, but I think I know why your tooltip was reduced. It might be reading out the new secondary cone damage by mistake. Let me do a little digging, as we didn't intend to nerf Lunging Strike. Can you see if you deal the same damage by using it?

Lunging Strike have bugged tolltip on live server for example my tac gf have 5k+ damage on it while it never hit over 3.6k damage to dummy could be new game version fixed toltip so now it looks like damage is reduced
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    EDIT: My tooltip is actually reporting the base strike damage and some of the rear cone damage added together (like it should). Is there a discrepancy between your damage output and the tooltip? And in what direction. We haven't made changes to Lunging Strike since we added the secondary cone to it in 2.5.

Man, not to be mean or anything, but sometimes I think you troll us. I can't believe you actually think that a skill that is "Deals Xdamage to an enemy and X/3 of that to a cone behind" should have X+X/3 as tooltip.

I will say it constructively. If the tooltip reports base damage+cone damage, we, the players, have a much harder time knowing what damage we should be doing that if instead it just reports Base damage and lets out figure out what 1/3 of that is. Please reconsider.
  • zippichzippich Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When we reworked power we didn't directly touch Lunging Strike. I will look into it right now, but I think I know why your tooltip was reduced. It might be reading out the part of the secondary cone damage by mistake. Let me do a little digging, as we didn't intend to nerf Lunging Strike. Can you see if you deal the same damage by using it?

Well, my output dmg is same in average but there are differences. On Live I hit 4700-5100 (tooltip 7866-8697) and on Preview 4600-5300 (tooltip 6535-7774) with 8500 Power.

P.S. Can you put Testing Dummies in Caer Konig pls? :)
    edited March 2014
    "Can you see if you deal the same damage by using it?"

i did .My power exact the same combat superiority on max,conq feat in both cases.All companions the same all augments the same all effects the same

Power on Live =6624
    LS on dummy 4569(4524)
    4705 (4659)

Power on preview=6624
    LS on dummy 4106(4065)
    3657(3621)
    3690(3653)
    4073(4032)

Tool tips on Live
    LS 6299-7021 Griffons Wrath 3951-4472 Knee breaker 5247-5940 Anvil of doom 5926-6576 Bull charge 4215-4823
    Tool tips on Preview
    LS 5358-6357 Griffons Wrath 3868-4596 knee Breaker 5137-6104 Anvil of Doom 4835-5745 Bull charge 4512-5362.

i hope it helps.Thanks in advance for looking into the matter :).Don't let this class fall into NW oblivion pls..... :)
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I wanted to shed some light on Power/Weapon damage and how Power change affects the GF. This may be one of my last contributions to the game if companions and PVE pots are left in zone pvp but thats a different story.

I normally like to use lunging as my "base" since its my most used ability, but apaprently its all bugged so im going to use "Crushing Surge" (at will) for these numbers.

LIVE data (using Formorian Weapon and only the TOP end tooltip damage - makes it easier)

@6147 - 1423 dmg
    @5504 - 1392 dmg
    @4994 - 1367 dmg
    @4484 - 1342 dmg

Based on this we can derive that it takes ROUGHLY 20.8 power to equal 1 damage to crushing surge tooltip damage.

Now lets look at weapon damage.

Ancients @ 656 top end versus Formorian @ 671 top end. There is a small power difference between the weapons so I have adjusted the damage accordingly.

Going from (@6147 - 1423 dmg) to 6099 power with ancients weapon, my tooltip drops to 1399 top end. Just FYI - Only about 3 of the weapon damage difference (.21% dmg boost) came from power so that means currently going from Ancients to Formorian represents roughly a 1.71% damage boost including power and the 15 top end weapon damage equals about 21 tooltip damage.

*NEW* Modified Power on PTR:

The EXACT same character now has tooltips:
    @6147 - 1537 dmg
    @5504 - 1493 dmg
    @4994 - 1459 dmg
    @4484 - 1425 dmg

This looks like a substantial increase from live servers (about a 8% overall "damage boost")

Well using THESE numbers we can deduce that it only takes about 15 power for 1 tooltip damage on crushing surge (down from 20.8)

Now lets look at weapon damage again.

Going from (@6147 - 1537 dmg) to 6099 power with ancients weapon, my tooltip drops to 1490 top end. That means currently going from Ancients to Formorian represents roughly a 2.88% damage boost including power and the 15 top end weapon damage equals about 46 tooltip damage.

So it seems that power itself is much stronger than it was before, and ontop of that weapon damage matters much more than it used to.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Just want to confirm this for you guys... BTW, the exact same character.

LIVE SERVER:
    LIVE_zpse9033c98.jpg

PTR:
    PTR_zps2e2daa48.jpg
    Man, not to be mean or anything, but sometimes I think you troll us. I can't believe you actually think that a skill that is "Deals Xdamage to an enemy and X/3 of that to a cone behind" should have X+X/3 as tooltip.

I will say it constructively. If the tooltip reports base damage+cone damage, we, the players, have a much harder time knowing what damage we should be doing that if instead it just reports Base damage and lets out figure out what 1/3 of that is. Please reconsider.

THis is exactly right... I was totally trolled at first because I thought you guys actually gave the GFs a nice buff a few patches ago - which is much needed btw - and increased our damage significantly on lunging strike.

Then tested it and found out - no real changes... Just a troll...
  • thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Tool tips on Live
    LS 6299-7021 Griffons Wrath 3951-4472 Knee breaker 5247-5940 Anvil of doom 5926-6576 Bull charge 4215-4823
    Tool tips on Preview
    LS 5358-6357 Griffons Wrath 3868-4596 knee Breaker 5137-6104 Anvil of Doom 4835-5745 Bull charge 4512-5362.

I'm worried about that huge dip in Anvil. After the speed increase I've been using it in PVP and it works a treat, particularly effective in getting rid of GWFs.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
    edited March 2014
    "I'm worried about that huge dip in Anvil. After the speed increase I've been using it in PVP and it works a treat, particularly effective in getting rid of GWFs" :)

Well the devs at least are looking the whole matter, there is hope. If they don't fixed it switch to GWrath.Not as good,but it will do.
    At least they buffed a little the Bull's charge.that is something positive for Gfs after a veeeery long time.
  • sirpattonsirpatton Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I saw only number on descriptions so i don't know how dmg was change in real, but if Lunging Strike will be nerf this will be a huge mistake and even more power for Bull's charge don't get any positive changes. Latest change of Lunging Strike get finally some dmg for GF when he collaborate with CW and now he looks not so bad on PvE but he still need buff not nerf! Pleas don't kill this class!

I see you want to nerf the key power GF: Lunging Strike and Anvil of doom I don't see how will be change dmg on Frontline Surge and Enforced Threat but i hope you don't want nerf this skills and dmg on Lunging Strike stay on current level or will be increase not decrease
  • wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    sirpatton wrote: »
    I saw only number on descriptions so i don't know how dmg was change in real, but if Lunging Strike will be nerf this will be a huge mistake and even more power for Bull's charge don't get any positive changes. Latest change of Lunging Strike get finally some dmg for GF when he collaborate with CW and now he looks not so bad on PvE but he still need buff not nerf! Pleas don't kill this class!

I see you want to nerf the key power GF: Lunging Strike and Anvil of doom I don't see how will be change dmg on Frontline Surge and Enforced Threat but i hope you don't want nerf this skills and dmg on Lunging Strike stay on current level or will be increase not decrease

They don't want to nerf these skills. It's a mistake. And I think they've been wanting to nerf Knight Captain for a while. But I doubt they'll do it until they figure out a way to power up GFs effectiveness.

I keep saying all they need to do is power up the rest of the PvE armor to be on par with Knight Captain. Even Timeless Hero could use a minor boost.

But no, the developers aren't stupid. I'm sure more balance changes are coming in the next module.