test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What PvP set-up would you take as a GF?

thestaggythestaggy Member Posts: 1,102 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2014 in The Militia Barracks
I'm currently using a 2 x Timeless & 2 x Knight Captain, which seems to offer good killing ability while not making me a soft target. I can still handle 2/3 opponents for a sustained amount of time. But, I am building up my Glory and Seals and want to get PvP gear. I have been pouring over all available sets and I just don't know which route to take. I'd like to boost my survivability but I don't want to gimp my killing ability, having recently discovered the joys of the new and improved Anvil of Boom.

My current stats are:
*All power stats include the Conqueror's capstone feat
*All stats only factor in Helm, Armour, Gauntlets & Greaves

1858 power, 1217 recovery, 400 arpen, 2137 defence, 772 deflec, 216 regen

Alternative sets (Full):
*All sets offer 738 tenacity

Full Grim Conqueror - Interesting option. More power than my current set (2288), near-equal recovery (1144), slightly better defence (2302) but less deflection (515) and no regen. Seems to be stronger but slightly less survivable.

Full Grim Tactician - Very interested in this one (darn expensive though; 24k Glory & 10 Seals for the chest-piece). 804 power, 1144 recovery, 2930 defence, 2068 HP. Only thing here, no deflection. I can live with a loss of 216 regen, but I'm not sure about the loss of deflection. However, is the massive boost in defence & HP a fair trade?

Full Grim Preserver - This is a mobile pill-box. No power, negligible recovery (515) but shed loads of defence (2930), deflection (1144) and good regen (515).

Alternative 2 x 2 sets:
*All sets offer 738 tenacity

Grim Tactician + Grim Preserver – 578 power, 868 recovery, 3380 defence, 502 deflec, 226 regen & 1160 HP.

Grim Conqueror + Grim Preserver – 1284 power, 868 recovery, 3028 defence, 791 deflec, 226 regen.

Grim Conqueror + Grime Tactician – 1510 power, 1144 recovery, 3028 defence, 289 deflec, 908 HP.
PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
Post edited by thestaggy on

Comments

• Options
    wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmm, tough call. I don't have the PvP sets so I don't know. (I use full timeless and recently full knight captain because I prefer the bonuses.) But I can give you a very important piece of advice. Pay close attention to diminishing returns. Do NOT let your defense climb over 3600. I made this mistake and severely weakened my character before realizing what was going on. My gear score wasn't an accurate reflection of how strong my character really was. I switched my shards to Radiant and was happy with the results, but that's just my personal taste, since I'm still learning too. ^^

So since they all have the same abilities, I'm leaning towards tactician, since regen is tricky to get as there are no enchantments that give it. It's like the middle ground, and you can use enchantments to increase deflection. It's a nice middle ground sorta set and you can use your other gear to build in other stats.

I'm not necessarily suggesting distributing stats into everything equally (I personally try to avoid life steal, and despite diminishing returns do get my defense close to 3600). But here's an explanation of diminishing returns and soft caps you can use to prevent overstacking. I copied and pasted it from here. http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?559701-Soft-Cap-list

+++

these are the numbers that exceed a growth rate of .8% per 100 points, .4% per 50,
    and .2% per 25 (Optimal return for points invested) this is where you will likely want to bring any non priority stat up to.

Recovery - 1600 (13.86%)
    Defense - 1600(24.65%)
    ArPen - 2000(20.27%*)
    Critical - 1700(15.16%)
    Life steal - 600(4.99%)
    Movement - 1200(10.11%)
    Regen - 600(4.99%)
    Deflect - 1200(10.10%)

and these basically the absolute max you will want to go before they become useless due to diminishing returns. (.3% per 100, .15 per 50, .075 per 25 points)

Recovery - 3800 (25.06%)
    Defense - 3600(34.31%)
    ArPen - 3600(28.52%*)
    Critical - 8500(47.51%)
    Life steal - 2100(12.73%)
    Movement - 3200(20.64%)
    Regen - 2100(12.82%)
    Deflect- -3200(20.27%)

*For PvE ArPen is only effective up to a total of 24%

Bosses 24% mitigation
    Brutes 20% or 22% mitigation
    Strikers and Leaders 16.2% or 18% mitigation
    Minions 14.4% mitigation
    Controllers and Ranged Strikers 12.8% or 14% mitigation

+++

And one more thing. Once you get past a certain point in your gear acquisition and you more or less have your stats the way you want them, stop agonizing too much over minor strength increases or decreases. If you like the stats on an item and you know that it will help you (or hell even if it just looks really good and will help you ENJOY yourself more), but you're afraid of losing that 1% damage (the equivalent of a single mob or two in an epic dungeon) or 1% cooldown reduction (often literally 1/10th of a second; go check your clock for a second, in the time it took you to turn your head 10 of those just went buy), just go for it. I say once you get past a certain point because of course little changes like that can really add up when you're still getting gear. But if you're more or less good and have 70-80% tier 2 items, then it's less of a big deal. Diminishing returns also means diminishing losses.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Power , Recovery , Regen is in my opinion the best

Defense is good but you will be killed so fast it wont matter once your guard is broken, Life Steal I feel is useless as you don't hit things for enough damage or often enough to reap any reward from it.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    guille23mxguille23mx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    We are GF... we bring a shield....i went 0 Tenacity and GPF + 2/2 combo High General+Knight Captains for max armpen (3000 with out the stone...3800 with the stone)2 pyrotechnics bands+anciente excorcist neck of blessing+piercing berserker belt... all stack with dark for max armpen...= Win in PVP :D
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I should have come back to this.

In the end I thought to hell with not dying, I want to kill, so I went full Grim Conqueror. I actually have more power with that set than I do with Timeless.
    guille23mx wrote: »
    We are GF... we bring a shield....i went 0 Tenacity and GPF + 2/2 combo High General+Knight Captains for max armpen (3000 with out the stone...3800 with the stone)2 pyrotechnics bands+anciente excorcist neck of blessing+piercing berserker belt... all stack with dark for max armpen...= Win in PVP :D

Interesting idea. I haven't yet completed my High General set, but I was running 2x Timeless (for power and deflec) and 2x Knight Captain (arpen and some regen). I decided to go full Grim set as my GF was originally a PVE DPS hybrid, so I never took Shield Talent, which means my shield in non-PVP gear is made out of paper and a full PVP set boosts your shield by 25%.

I may try and sacrifice my regen rings & belt to find more crit & arpen.
    PSA: You don't need to grind Spinward Rise for your Elemental artifact main hand if you have some AD lying around. You can craft it via the Tyranny of Dragon's campaign screen.
  • Options
    therancidcattherancidcat Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    I should have come back to this.

In the end I thought to hell with not dying, I want to kill, so I went full Grim Conqueror. I actually have more power with that set than I do with Timeless.

Interesting idea. I haven't yet completed my High General set, but I was running 2x Timeless (for power and deflec) and 2x Knight Captain (arpen and some regen). I decided to go full Grim set as my GF was originally a PVE DPS hybrid, so I never took Shield Talent, which means my shield in non-PVP gear is made out of paper and a full PVP set boosts your shield by 25%.

I may try and sacrifice my regen rings & belt to find more crit & arpen.

I also went full Grim Conqueror, with all darks for armpen and crit neck and rings, the speed boost from the full grim is quite a difference, makes it very effective when dealing with gwf's on points, i use a 3 hit combo, block and run, and then hit them again, haven't met one i can't handle 1v1 yet!
    far7.jpg
    i'm just kind of proud of that, a well geared gwf!
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I also went full Grim Conqueror, with all darks for armpen and crit neck and rings, the speed boost from the full grim is quite a difference, makes it very effective when dealing with gwf's on points, i use a 3 hit combo, block and run, and then hit them again, haven't met one i can't handle 1v1 yet!
    far7.jpg
    i'm just kind of proud of that, a well geared gwf!

NICE hit!

I'm currently in love with Anvil and Supremacy of Steel. The animation boost on that and Griffon's Wrath have really added a new dimension to a GF in PVP.

The increased mobility is definitely noticeable. I haven't yet put my darks into the utility slots for a little more movement, but the set has made a huge difference.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    NICE hit!

I'm currently in love with Anvil and Supremacy of Steel. The animation boost on that and Griffon's Wrath have really added a new dimension to a GF in PVP.

The increased mobility is definitely noticeable. I haven't yet put my darks into the utility slots for a little more movement, but the set has made a huge difference.

Never tried Supremacy of steel, i never trust any abilities in this game if they don't show numbers! i made the mistake of slotting iron warrior thinking it would provide a nice dmg buffer in pvp only to get max 2k or so temp hit points at a time, needless to say it was useless.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Never tried Supremacy of steel, i never trust any abilities in this game if they don't show numbers! i made the mistake of slotting iron warrior thinking it would provide a nice dmg buffer in pvp only to get max 2k or so temp hit points at a time, needless to say it was useless.

I'd say I kill at least one opponent with it in every match. Last night I struck the jackpot and had two GWFs kill themselves within seconds of one another.
  • Options
    nuitrarinuitrari Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I actually held a point with a guildy TR 2 vs 3 2x GWF and 1 TR my guildy TR died but he did enough damage to all 3 of them so when they turn on to me I just popped Supremacy of Steel and all 3 of them died, was pretty sweet :D
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2014
    The current best for many high end pvpers is that the Protector version is the most effective set for a PvP GF
  • Options
    teahup00teahup00 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The current best for many high end pvpers is that the Protector version is the most effective set for a PvP GF

agree Face ;)
    Teahupoo - New Guardian Fighter....Loading 50%
  • Options
    edited March 2014

As I build up my glory and seals for the Profound gear, I was thinking of moving to Protector or Tactician for more survival stats. My concern though with the Protector is that it offers no offensive abilities. I will lose about 2200 power moving from Grim Conqueror to Profound Protector and my recovery also takes a hit. I also want to spec out of Fight On (-10% encounter cooldowns) and into Shield Defense (+5 AC), so I am worried that I become pillow-fisted with long cooldowns.

As I am admittedly nothing more than a good GF in PvP, are the high end players less concerned about killing and more concerned about lasting long enough on a node to contest and irritate the enemy?
  • Options
    nuitrarinuitrari Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm doing pretty alright and I'm more or less defensive oriented, Halfling deflect build so I find the profound preserver set fits my needs better, I've got 1.8k regen which is still nice out of combat and O.Kish in combat 2.3k deflection without feats and racial, its kind of hard getting those numbers from the other sets.
    I can stay on point long enough vs 2, 3 for my team to either show up of take the other points and 1v1 and rarely 1v2 I come out on top.
  • Options
    facexcontrolfacexcontrol Member Posts: 281
    edited March 2014
    Yea , the thing is that you can get lost of offensive stats from different combination of rings/necks/belts/enchants but you can't get that much of the regen/deflect as they are the hardest stats to stack on.

So far i think the best way to build a Guardian Fighter is to go hybrid - half Guardian and half Fighter :D
  • Options
    ohkrewellaohkrewella Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Guys, just brought my gf to 60,
    what about ArPen? how much i need it in pvp with my dex?
    does our tab rly lowers enemy's DR?
    sittin on 21 dex without campfire,
    got Protector set, any advice with rings and neck?
    my encounters are LS, frontline and bull(saw ppl using that stuff on youtube :D)
    thank u in advance for any help!)
  • Options
    calous78calous78 Banned Users Posts: 95
    edited March 2014
    ohkrewella wrote: »
    Guys, just brought my gf to 60,
    what about ArPen? how much i need it in pvp with my dex?
    does our tab rly lowers enemy's DR?
    sittin on 21 dex without campfire,
    got Protector set, any advice with rings and neck?
    my encounters are LS, frontline and bull(saw ppl using that stuff on youtube :D)
    thank u in advance for any help!)

I Always stack arp to at least 2k for pvp, maybe a little more. Lots of people will disagree and say stack more, that's ok they are allowed to be wrong :)

Face and I use different sets (I use conq) but we both toss people around pretty effectively and have very few problems in PvP.

You are correct about your encounters, those are pretty much our only viable encounters for PvP, you can throw on KC and mess around in pugs if you would like but it has very little use in premade PvP.

Dailies are also something you have little choice in, IS and TI are pretty much it. I hear a lot of people raving about how great SOS is in PvP. They are wrong.

You have to build your GF in a way that makes him useful to your TEAM in the current PvP content available to us. Being a monster sitting on a point tanking two people is NOT useful to your team. Why not? Because currently DC, GWF, and TR can all do that job WAY better than you can, and they (minus the DC) will also be able to kill things while doing it.
  • Options
    ryoshinetteryoshinette Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with calous. Maybe being a turtle is usefull, but for sure not in pugs. So since I dont have pvp guild, I need to survive but kill as well, to survive at the end.
    My question is about gear.
    At the moment i got Armour of PRESERVER set with 8 ranks. I assume, that you mean that protector is preserver. Dunno, wrong translation?
    Fomorian weapon set + 2 profound rings of dominance (dark+radiant rank 8)
    I want to complete some glory (**** cues) for having profound belt of dominance (silver 8) and profound neck of dominance + dark 8

basic stats are: str21, con23, dex18, with no campfire.

Is this the way to complete jewelry?
    And one more question: Do you think, that having weapon set for glory any kind, with lower dmg and with no defence bonus is a better choice than fomorian set?
    Ryoshin GF (4.2k)
    .Suicide Squad.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    calous78 wrote: »
    You have to build your GF in a way that makes him useful to your TEAM in the current PvP content available to us. Being a monster sitting on a point tanking two people is NOT useful to your team. Why not? Because currently DC, GWF, and TR can all do that job WAY better than you can, and they (minus the DC) will also be able to kill things while doing it.

What should a GF be doing then if not holding a node?

What I've been doing is head straight to mid (and pray that my PUG sends at least one person with me) and sit on that until my team has secured 1 & 2. Then I push to 3, aiming to be as much of a nuisance as possible to pull 2 enemy players away from contesting 2 & 1. But overall I'd say I spend 75% of my matches fighting for or holding mid.
  • Options
    dwamurdwamur Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I took a quick peak into preview, and what I saw was puzzling. First, tenacity goes way up. 840 tenacity on the armor alone. 540 on almost everything else, and 300 on the off-hand, for a total of 3,300. I guess that answers the question on whether tenacity will softcap around 900ish.

Secondly, it's all deflect and lifesteal, which is strange to me for a GF. I am not a good theory crafter, so I'm not quite sure what this means. Swordmaster deflect halfling, with vorpal instead of pf to get more out of the lifesteal?

I'm also curious to see whether "deflect & lifesteal" will be the only choice if you want the new gear and the high tenacity, or whether other options will come along. And whether a 3k-ish tenacity will mean that the current PvP gear options become pointless, or whether tenacity is a nice-to-have, not a match-shaping stat.

I need some folk that know PvP and theory-crafting well to grant some guidance :).
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    2 parts High General +450 armpen
    2 parts Timeless +450 deflection
    rings, neck, belt Profound 15% control resistance (full grim, i found no difference in stun or prone time to this?)
    Soulforged and G vorpal
    That gives me 1.2k crit, 2.5k armpen, 2k recovery, 3.6k def, 2.2k deflect, 1k regen.
    I normally finish top 3 in kills, can hold a point, and i went on the test server and had a fight with 2 perma stealth tr's killled one, and the other ganked me, but still managed to get him down to 20%.
    I'm very happy with this build just hoping mod3 doesn't screw it up for me.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Interesting mix.

I've started getting the Profound Preserver's armour, but I will retain my Grim Conq and I already have all of the T2s in my inventory, so I'd like to experiment with your loadout.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    2 parts High General +450 armpen
    2 parts Timeless +450 deflection
    rings, neck, belt Profound 15% control resistance (full grim, i found no difference in stun or prone time to this?)
    Soulforged and G vorpal
    That gives me 1.2k crit, 2.5k armpen, 2k recovery, 3.6k def, 2.2k deflect, 1k regen.
    I normally finish top 3 in kills, can hold a point, and i went on the test server and had a fight with 2 perma stealth tr's killled one, and the other ganked me, but still managed to get him down to 20%.
    I'm very happy with this build just hoping mod3 doesn't screw it up for me.

Forgot to add, Ancient grand knights sword&shield set for the +450 defense