test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Role-play Guide & Help

xdamned4lifexdamned4life Member Posts: 95
edited March 2014 in The Moonstone Mask (PC)
The Role-play Guide & Help is moving house, though don't thret my lovelies for it shall all be there on a newer version of this thread with a lot more reserves so that I have a lot more space to work with for future content I plan to post for it, including indepth description upon races, location and lore.

Click here to be redirected to the new home of the Roleplay & Help!
Post edited by xdamned4life on

Comments

• xdamned4lifexdamned4life Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2014
    ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
    edited March 2014
    ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
    edited March 2014
    ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
    edited March 2014
    ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    A lot of great information in here. Thank you for compiling it. :)

While the RP Community in Neverwinter is small I expect this information could be very useful to those that are here to RP or are interested in starting out role-playing.

You may notice that a few posts are gone. I have secreted them away for stiffness but they can be restored at any time by any moderator. Let us know if you need them. :)
  • serendiipraserendiipra Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have a question that I've been looking everywhere for an answer to. In the Neverwinter game, can people wear eye glasses or have some type of spectacles? Since the game has it's own time period I can't guess if it can be inferred that eye glasses were invented then.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have a question that I've been looking everywhere for an answer to. In the Neverwinter game, can people wear eye glasses or have some type of spectacles? Since the game has it's own time period I can't guess if it can be inferred that eye glasses were invented then.

I recall one of the dwarves in the Whispering Caverns having some sort of monocle or something on his eye, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. That being said, I don't recall seeing any actual eyeglass fashion items available.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Gnomes are often depicted with glasses, although they are normally more like magnifying lenses.

Here's a portrait from Baldur's Gate Game.
    BigQuayle.jpg
  • serendiipraserendiipra Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thansk for the help. I had a character for a long time that I was neglect to play out in Neverwinter because he had glasses but now that I see it's not impossible I can use him now! Thanks! :D
    edited March 2014
    @serendiipra

Not a problem, for after all that's why we had made this thread, to change the lives of Roleplayers one person at a time. :D
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    There is an addendum I'd like to make here: Anti-Godmoding

A translation may be "my uber top level charecter I am going to insist you pretend is weaker than a new kitten, and and I must RP as if I couldn't defend myself agianst a fly". Anti-gomoders are often Mary Sues as well.

As formatted above a quick example list of what IS Anti-Godmoding, and what is NOT Anti-Godmoding.

IS Anti-Godmoding:

- refusing to be cured of a disease, or injury through RP so your charecter can always "sufffer" from it
    - refusing to allow release/ rescue when captured as a prisoner of war, servant, or other subserviant position
    - insisting any lvl 1 can beat your lvl 40 charecter up (or even kill them with a crooked look)
    - purposefully taking off ALL GEAR to make yourself more vulnerable to attacks so you will get injured/ die more easilly
    - continuously inventing impossible IC trouble to be "rescued from", and OOC refusing rescue from it

IS NOT Anti-Godmoding:

- accepting a fair hit in an RPed fight from somebody of similar power/ lvl
    - getting an RPed cold, or the flu on rare occasion
    - taking a nap/ sleeping
    - RPing injury taken in PvP, or dungeons healing over time
    - seasonal/ food allergies
    - wearing glasses, or using a cane etc. as a "point of interest" in a charecter's personality

The person anti-godmoding will selectively ignore RP attempts for help when in "trouble" so they can keep attention on themselves for "rescue" by a certain person(s), or be a "permavictim" for pity/ trouble/ death/ general nastyness in RP. Said anti-godmoder often places themselves purposefully in compromising situations to elicit a "pity responce" from other RPers.

Imagine a lvl 40 half-orc female fighter attempting to insist she's a frail pixie sort that has been called mean names, and smacked around by a lvl 1 elf wizard to the point she's broken a leg. A cleric stops by to help, and the half-orc IGNORES the healing spell cast by him so she can target that other fighter human across the room as her "hero" wailing on, and complaining in general (even in tells) until she can get the other fighter's attention. This is an example of anti-godmoding.

Anti-godmoding can unfortunately ruin a good RP plot, and spoil other's RP in general by refusing to allow them to use abilities and skills they should be able to as they are supported both in build, and in previous RP. Anti-godmoders sometimes unfortunately continue on and harass people OOCly for attempting to rescue them in RP as it "ruins" their envisioned "victim play". If one accepts or promotes a problem to be solved it is BAD RP to refuse solutions put forth by other players. RP is about group participation, not individual direction of other players like your personal NPCs.
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
    edited March 2014
    The Role-play Guide & Help is moving house, though don't thret my lovelies for it shall all be there on a newer version of this thread with a lot more reserves so that I have a lot more space to work with for future content I plan to post for it, including indepth description upon races, location and lore.

Click here to be redirected to the new home of the Roleplay & Help!

Seems a few posts had disappeared on the thread, so ill elaborate upon what my previous post regarding the topic had said.

@dragoness10

If one accepts or promotes a problem to be solved it is BAD RP to refuse solutions put forth by other players. RP is about group participation, not individual direction of other players like your personal NPCs.

This comment pretty much hits the topic bang on, however I would just like to make clear however, that there are points mentioned in the previous post that are expected of Roleplayers for to naturally do to keep the flow and realism of a Roleplay, such as eat, sleep, drink, catch illnesses such as colds from time to time, have seasonal or food allergies, earn a living and build their character from the ground up with nothing to what they are today; it's called creating a balanced character then evolving that character through character development, you wouldn't find a character starting off as a wealthy, seasoned warrior with rare plate Armour from the get-go.

Roleplay combat however shouldn't be judged upon who's a higher level than the other but rather who has both the sufficient knowledge of combat both in character and out of character to know where the best place to strike at is and how they can land a fatal blow taking into account of course not everyone can be seasoned master swordsman so of course in the process of learning in character or even when believed to have reached mastery of their art for to mess up from time to time to keep it balanced being that nobody is perfect.

Really however there's nothing wrong with someone playing the victim, or having a character that may be frail and weak, maybe due to an illness they had caught long term or short that had impaired them in such a way or from old age, however what I do agree with is that if unbalanced it can become a cause for concern potentially ruining story plots for others.

However, going back on to the topic, I do see the potential issues that may be presented with this however it comes down to their character ultimately and how they play it out. Maybe there would be an old woman who was once a seasoned warrior who had went into retirement for having served her duty to the Neverwinter becoming old and frail as time went by, compared to a younger more stronger foe, perhaps a Half-Orc who was at his prime in his youth could easily overpower this woman in a fight, though perhaps because of her background as an independent woman she wouldn't want healed in character or treated with medicine, with her struggling against those who want her for to get better.

At the end of the day, it's their character and as such is treated as their creative property, with that if they wish to have characters that might be weak and frail, or prone to catching colds or illnesses then that is fine, strange that they would try underpower themselves as such but none of the less fine, perhaps a pacifist role players would find this element within roleplay appealing rather than slaughtering another person's character that they would have spent a lot of time, effort and character development in creating.

However if someone were to bring it out of character as you had mentioned by creating inconvenience within a group of roleplayers by refusing to acknowledge being rescued then I would suggest for you to try whisper to this person regarding what you feel they may be doing wrong, redirect them to this guide and then give them advice upon how to improve in the area that they were lacking rather than telling them they're doing it wrong, getting everyone around them to ignore the person.

Ill give it another look over and a think before adding it to the guide given it's quite an unusual case that in all the years of me having Roleplayed, never have once encountered in quite a few various different communities that I had been a part of, if not the complete addendum being added I will be sure to mention it somewhere within the section of mixing in character and out of character (metagaming).
This discussion has been closed.