test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Discussion] New content vs fixing existing issues

fuacccreationfuacccreation Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi everybody, first of all i think it's great cryptic releases new modules that frequently and i really enjoy the new content.

BUT I've actually just started to play the current module and now they've announced another one already. What came to my mind immediately was that there are a lot of issues with the current game that need to be fixed and i don't feel there's much effort put into it (like server stability, class balancing, glitches and bugs etc.)

So im asking YOU (the players): Would you rather have new content (as well as events) every other week and month or would you like the game to be stable, balanced and enyojable in its core? An therefore have to wait for new content a bit longer? Or do you think new content is the only thing that keeps a game alive and is most important?

Of course this is a question the devs should think about too, do they want their game to be enyojable? yes certainly. But how can they achieve that?

I would really like to see a game that is stable and balanced in its core, and of course i enjoy new content once in a while! But it really doesn't have to be every other month. I could wait for new content, if the core game was well-engineered.
Post edited by fuacccreation on

Comments

• Options
    tourage16tourage16 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think they are doing both... anyway, the game has no end-game content to play for a long time atm, mod3 will implement free-for-all pvp maps which is something that will bring more players and fun. You should make a poll so people can vote if you are offering 2 options and want to know which one people would choose.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I would prefer they fix issues especially those that have been lingering since beta rather then open new can of worms like open world PvP every patch breaks something new.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Going to say this as it's often been said: The two concepts are separable. You don't have to put an entire team out of work while you focus on a different task.

You wouldn't want your artists doing debugging and coding. You wouldn't want your debuggers to work on animation. And you certainly wouldn't want QA or artists working on server infrastructure. Why? It's not their area of expertise. Yet all of those roles are necessary to make the whole of the game--working within their own sphere, instead of thrown around haphazardly.

Bottom line is that it's a bit unrealistic to say "put THIS on hold while you do THAT" because then you end up with teams of dead weight.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Like what? I haven't seen any major glitches other than the recent networking problems. Then again I'm mostly a PvE player so some of the PvP balancing issues are unknown to me.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited March 2014
    Like what? I haven't seen any major glitches other than the recent networking problems. Then again I'm mostly a PvE player so some of the PvP balancing issues are unknown to me.

The Tiefling racial ability has been bugged since launch.
    The GF ability "Knight's Valour," has had multiple bugs since launch.
    The GF ability "Knight's Challenge," when it changed last patch, came with a bug that was reported mutiple times on the test shard.
    Several CW abilities have been bugged since launched, and do not benefit from the Armor Penetration stat.

I could go on.
  • Options
    jezwirajezwira Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Or my CN run yesterday was cut short because the doors didn't react to one guy, so another tried them, then they opened and reclosed... and that was that, run "finished"

Obviously a hard bug to fix since it only occurs in CN, all other dungeons have no issues with doors...
  • Options
    pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    If fixing existing issues includes redesigning the dungeon encounters to make non-AOE classes useful, then definitely that would be preferable to new content. Otherwise, if it just means fixing bugs then there is no issue.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    jezwira wrote: »
    Or my CN run yesterday was cut short because the doors didn't react to one guy, so another tried them, then they opened and reclosed... and that was that, run "finished"

Obviously a hard bug to fix since it only occurs in CN, all other dungeons have no issues with doors...

<fry>Not sure if sarcastic...</fry>
  • Options
    gardhullgardhull Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Going to say this as it's often been said: The two concepts are separable. You don't have to put an entire team out of work while you focus on a different task.

You wouldn't want your artists doing debugging and coding. You wouldn't want your debuggers to work on animation. And you certainly wouldn't want QA or artists working on server infrastructure. Why? It's not their area of expertise. Yet all of those roles are necessary to make the whole of the game--working within their own sphere, instead of thrown around haphazardly.

Bottom line is that it's a bit unrealistic to say "put THIS on hold while you do THAT" because then you end up with teams of dead weight.

That's true if there really are multiple teams. I develop software for a living, and I can tell you that often as not, your new development team and your bugfix team are composed of (at least some of) the same members.

If the art team is ever involved in bugfixing, something is badly wrong with the application design.

What PW really needs is a new network team.
  • Options
    mooselee68mooselee68 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014

When a company is departmentalized and hours are added or subtracted from those departments, they would re-staff accordingly. This does NOT mean sending employees from one department to another.
  • Options
    lunashatterstonelunashatterstone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014

But you will put the game on hold if any bug effects the precious Zen Market and money in your pockets.

Cryptic is notorious, since City of Heroes, to neglect issues that need to be fixed. We had an Astral Diamond bug where people could get unlimited diamonds. The bug was reported over and over during testing but never fixed, but when people started exploiting it, and destroyed the Zen Market and ruined the economy, you finally fix it. And rolled back the servers to fix the damage it caused.

There are bugs I have reported over and over since Beta but you refuse to fix.

One such bug is with Skill Nodes/Treasure Chests. If you use the chest/node after someone that leaves a single junk item behind, your use of the node/chest will be that junk item. If you neglect to loot it, the next person will be plagued with the junk item and it will never reset until someone finally loots the item.

I feel the proper fix to this would to be to make all nodes/chest instanced. Similar to how resource nodes are in Guild Wars 2. But if that is too complex for your staff, make it so that anyone that leaves items in a chest or node cannot access another chest/node for 24 hours until the prior node/chest is resolved by that player or another.

This bug has been here for 2 years. Don't you think it is time to fix it?
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    this thread will be closed because it is being used as a way to flame PWE. we don't allow others to flame you and in kind, we won't allow you to flame the devs or the company. since PWE's internal processes are unknown and protected by law, any lending opinion in this thread is nothing but conjecture and there isn't anything productive that can come of it. PWE is going to develop new content and fix bugs based on their own internal policy and procedure.

thanks.
This discussion has been closed.