test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dread Ring Boon: Illusion Shimmer Bug (Deflection Severity)

vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
edited May 2014 in Bug Reports (PC)
Instead of adding 3% to your Deflection Severity, it adds 3% of your existing value (according to tooltip...)

50% Deflection Severity becomes 50.7%. As katbozejziemi points out, that doesn't even appear to make sense.

I admit that it's within the realm of possibility that this was intentional, but two facts suggest to me that this is a bug:

A) This is such a weak benefit that I can't believe it was intended to work this way.

B) Critical Severity does not work this way; it adds flat % to the value. Seems logical to assume that Deflection Severity would work similarly.

Also makes me wonder if new feats that increase Deflection Severity are working this way as well.
Sacrilege - Warlock
Contagion - Cleric
Testament - Wizard
Pestilence - Ranger
Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

Post edited by vorphied on

Comments

• Options
    nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    iirc on HR on Preview, there was an issue where the HR feat was doing the same as this Boon is doing now.
  • Options
    katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Except 3% from 50 would be 1,5 so even that doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Except 3% from 50 would be 1,5 so even that doesn't make sense.

True. I have no idea how their math is working, here. Updating original report to reflect the fact that the bug is bugged :P

In the tooltip it indicates that your Deflection Severity is operating at 100% of normal value and that 3% is modified by features. It looks like the game is dividing that value by your existing Deflection Severity %...?

So 50% value of 3% would be 1.5%, which would modify existing severity % to be 50.7%? How do they come up with this? :P
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

• Options
    giggliatogiggliato Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    We were discussing this earlier today, thought it might be a typo. having 53% would be worth it, 50.7% would not be.
  • Options
    aiausaiaus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Please Fix this broke Boon!
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not a typo -- tested and it's "working" as the tooltip states.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    Not a typo -- tested and it's "working" as the tooltip states.

Given that this is the exact current tooltip of Illusion Shimmer, "You gain 3% Deflection Severity.", what were your results and are you referring to combat log testing or just Character Sheet tooltip?
  • Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Can you post a screenshot about the damage you receive with this boon at a deflected attack? Second it would be nice if a TR with 75% deflect severity can post a screenshot too(about deflected attack AND the shown total deflect severity).
  • Options
    josiahiyonjosiahiyon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 396 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Combat log testing, of course. Results were exactly as the tooltip says: rather than dmg multiplying by 50% on deflect, it was multiplied by 49.7% on deflect.
    Pvpbysynergy.png
    Iyon the Dark
  • Options
    fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    josiahiyon wrote: »
    Combat log testing, of course. Results were exactly as the tooltip says: rather than dmg multiplying by 50% on deflect, it was multiplied by 49.7% on deflect.

Incorrect.

Character Sheet tooltip change is from 50% to 50.7%. These are my results that are consistent with the Character Sheet:

GWF with 54.7% Damage Resistance.

Deflection WITHOUT Illusion Shimmer:

klkZXSD.png

i.e. 304/1345 = 22.6% reduced damage.

Deflection WITH Illusion Shimmer:

Dd8JeD9.png

i.e. 306/1374 = 22.3% reduced damage.

Working from the stats themselves,

Normal: (1 - 54.7%) x (1 - 50%) = 22.6%
    Current bugged boon: (1 - 54.7%) x (1 - 50.7%) = 22.3%
    Tooltip correct boon: (1 - 54.7%) x (1 - 53%) = 21.3%.

So, under no circumstance is the boon working according to its description.

In addition, at the moment for me that boon with 20% Deflection Chance would represent 20% x 0.3% = 0.06% overall damage reduction buff. Even if corrected, it would represent 20% x 1.3% = 0.26% overall damage reduction buff... which, no matter how you look at it, is very poor indeed.

CAVEAT: this was tested on Preview version NW.14.20140123a.1.
  • Options
    ebonmarkebonmark Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So are they aware of this bug yet? I just took this boon today and came to this thread.... *sigh
  • Options
    veirnveirn Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    on a TR, you end up with 75,2% Deflection Severity. They changed the tooltip again, but like two patches back the deflection severity tooltip on the character sheet showed as "300% + 3%".

denoting the mitigation of 3/4 of the incoming damage as 300% deflection is somewhat backwards, but yes, without deflection, you would have taken 400% of what you did take.

it is under this strange math that they apply the boon.

lets assume a TR would take 1000 damage, but deflect it, leading to 250 damage without the Illusionary Shimmer Boon.
    now to take 250 damage while deflecting with the Boon, the TR would have to take 250 + (250 * (300% + 3%)) damage (300 is the normal 75% deflection, 3% is the boon. so thats 250 + 250*3,03 = 250 + 757,5 = 1007,5.

now if you look at the 250 as a % of 1007,5 you get something around 24,8%, or in other words, 75,2% of the 1007,5 are missing.
  • Options
    engleberthumperengleberthumper Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi all, is this Boon still broken? I have to choose between it and 250 AP for my pure archer HR (only char) but I already have 2400 AP halfway thru the 2 campaigns and no Gauntlegrym or PVP yet, Im not even trying to stack it

I have half Blue and T1 gear and one artifact and green companions
  • Options
    soriniakovsoriniakov Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    will be fixed?
  • Options
    xalabixalabi Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    veirn wrote: »
    on a TR, you end up with 75,2% Deflection Severity. They changed the tooltip again, but like two patches back the deflection severity tooltip on the character sheet showed as "300% + 3%".

denoting the mitigation of 3/4 of the incoming damage as 300% deflection is somewhat backwards, but yes, without deflection, you would have taken 400% of what you did take.

it is under this strange math that they apply the boon.

lets assume a TR would take 1000 damage, but deflect it, leading to 250 damage without the Illusionary Shimmer Boon.
    now to take 250 damage while deflecting with the Boon, the TR would have to take 250 + (250 * (300% + 3%)) damage (300 is the normal 75% deflection, 3% is the boon. so thats 250 + 250*3,03 = 250 + 757,5 = 1007,5.

now if you look at the 250 as a % of 1007,5 you get something around 24,8%, or in other words, 75,2% of the 1007,5 are missing.

Indeed that seems to be the math they use. For a non-TR, the "Base Deflection Mitigation" is 200%, boon increases it to 203%, then the deflection severity is calculated as 100*(1-100/203)=50.7. The tooltip is totally misleading as it says the deflection severity itself will be increased by 3% implying 53%. This really will not be too strong and 50.7 is indeed way too weak. They should definitely fix this.