test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Valindra and GFs...

krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
edited March 2014 in The Militia Barracks
Well, well, last night we went to Val's tower and faced the Big Baddie herself. First time there, and I do not wish to complain about "Val is too hard bla bla bla", because she, most probably, is not (Though I do not believe, for a second, that a 10.500 GS team stands a chance).

My problem is with the encounter design seems to leave no role for us. I mean, we are supposed to be defenders, yet in the whole encounter, there is nothing to tank. Val casts magic missiles for all, grabs random people and does AOE around herself, 3 attacks that a tank really doesn't help with. Then, there is the casket mechanic, which is all about mobility...well, we have 1 good gap closer, and 2 rather poor ones, so this is not exactly our forte, is it? Granted, ITF provides a boost to all the team here, but for reasons that shall be adressed below, it is not all that.

Apart from "being able to move and click to all the caskets fast", the encounter seems to revolve all around single target DPS. Burst the grappling hand, and, very specially, burn Val ASAP, because the longer it takes, the more caskets spawn, and when caskets and hand start spawning together, hillarity ensues. Because of this, DPS is king, master and ruler. Even if a wight spawns, the best solution is, can you believe it....Single target DPS!!! This makes damage skills beyond a must, and the most practical solution to the problem.

In fact, the whole freaking encounter seems to have been designed around GWF strengths, making GF completely irrelevant.

Am I missing something? Did I use the wrong skills? Is there anything else I can do for the team there? Or should I just accept that I am going to be a drag vs Val?

EDIT: Don't get me wrong. I am glad that this boss is NOT "Fight a gazillion adds while you burn the boss", but the way this encounter is set feels...wrong when you are a defender with poor damage.
Post edited by krimbarbarroja on

Comments

• wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I haven't done Valindra yet, but it sounds like Knight's Challenge would benefit you a lot in this fight. Perhaps with Lunging Strike and Griffon's Wrath as your other skills, mark your target, use Knight's Challenge and spam away. And if you're using Knight Captain's armor you should be adding a lot of indirect DPS to the fight. I think since burst DPS is the most important you could get away with replacing Lunging strike with Into the Fray. This will cause you to lose more DPS, but I think you'll be increasing the party's odds of victory overall. Again, not too sure about this fight, but I hope you can brainstorm from that. ^^
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Keep lunging, it's amazing for closing to click a casket.

VT is one of the few fights in the game that actually benefits communication and teamwork over "ZERG, BURN", which means that it's one of the few fights that is less fussy regarding class balance. Sure, you're not bringing raw personal deeps to the fight, but you could be bringing +60% power and +25% defense for everyone else, ITF-derived mobility + AP gain, and a superfast low cooldown gapcloser for lunging to caskets. Your third encounter is your own choice, since you can merrily keep val marked with tab (for the mitigation debuff). Other than that, just do what you usually do: keep Val looking at you so everyone else gets combat advantage, absorb most of her AoE hits with your meaty frame so the DC can mostly just worry about the squishies, etc.
  • firstookamikazefirstookamikaze Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2014
    Are you telling GF are useless on that last end game fight ? No no... calm down, you are probably wrong somwhere, no other GF complain about that, and we are usefull everywhere as GF : remember party are ALWAYS looking for GF and we are always welcome ... ho wait ! :o
  • mqgnusmqgnus Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You didn't mentionned the AOE she used on Fulminorax's encounter too ! This AOE that deals some damages and then blow up, draining your AP while leaving you prone (if you're not blocking or under a CC immunity like Vilain's Menace). Well this AOE is always cast on Valindra's target which is the one who generate the most threat.

So basically, you can make your party avoiding 1 AOE during the fight by holiding aggro on her. At least that's something along with the ability to get to any caskets in no time thanks to Lunging strike.
    Top tip for passing the time : Read a book, write a book or book a holiday for your book !
  • krimbarbarrojakrimbarbarroja Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Cool. And how would that be any different if a GWF was doing the "non-tanking" ?? In other words: What advantage do I bring to my team by having the AoE centered on me as opossed to anyone else? Please explain.
    edited March 2014
    You can take it. GWFs are surprisingly squishy.
    edited March 2014
    None needs to take that AoE. Ever.
    edited March 2014
    Well, talking with some players, it seems that it was not simply my impresion. The fight really punishes you for being a tanky class. It was probably a stupid idea to build a protector GF, but hey, I wanted to tank, not DPS around.

The whole thing is really underwhelming, considering this is the Mod 2 boss. I can totally understand the first dungeons being a mess, and such, after all, the game was starting. But when Mod 2 came out, the devs were perfectly aware of the balance issues. They were aware of the lack of need for tanks, yet they decided to make a boss with nothing to tank. They were aware of the DPS imbalance between classes, yet they did nothing about it and created a boss based on almost pure DPS. They were aware of the mobility issues of the GF, yet they decided to further punish them by having the boss TP all around to make their DPS contribution even poorer.

Also, and 2 months after publication, the fight has not recieved a balance update -To my knowledge, no boss has, ever in this game-. This tells me that the devs have no interest in creating interesting content, and do not really care wether their encounters work or not. Furthermore, the game seems to lack the mechanics needed to ensure that all classes have a role - No separate damage types, no resistances, no dual specs to fall back on, etc -, so I guess it is only natural that the devs don't bother with it. It is, in all likehood, not a realistic goal.

Yeah, I'm whining, I know.
    edited March 2014
    No boss in the game needs to be tanked. No boss adds in the game need to be tanked. Valindra is not an exception, or even unusual in this respect.

Val is actually (as I mentioned above) one of the few bosses that DOESN'T hugely favour 'stack CWs, profit'. There are no massed adds to control, unless you suck at clicking caskets, and if this is the case then you're boned anyway.

GFs can bring enhanced mobility for everyone (super useful when you need to run over and click), extra AP gain for everyone so you can pop lots of dailies, and potentially a huge boost in power & defense, too. And if you can keep her pointed at you, probably combat advantage for everyone else, to boot.

Does this mean GFs are vital in this fight? No. Would it be more efficient to take another GWF? Probably. Is it still more GF-friendly than basically every other boss fight other than "frozen heart if you don't have the deeps to zerg"? Yes.

Regarding mobility, GFs are suprisingly zippy if you take the right powers. ITF obviously, lunging strike is astonishing as a gap closer, and threatening rush is superb for zipping back to val after she punts you, or for dashing to reach a casket sooner. The only problem with GF mobility is that it's mostly dependent on having something to stab at the destination.
  • baylen76baylen76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmm what would I do as a GF.

a) I'd instantly use "Into the Fray" run-speed-buff upon casket-audio ("Rise...", "Come forth..."), making it easier for everyone to get their caskets
    b) I'd bring Knight Captain set for power buffage, at least at boss (as GFs have no noteworthy DPS of their own in PVE)
    c) I'd put the perma-mark on Val for 8% more damage
    d) I'd enjoy having Threatening Rush/Lunging Strike for caskets/helping with hands

I guess it would be doable, maybe a tad slower than in a standard easymode 2CW 2GWF 1DC group, but potentially quite safe if people have experience with caskets.

In the end, GF isn't needed or attractive enough to justify bringing other than for the player behind it, so your complaint is definitely valid. Another CW in its place would effectively mean more overall damage mitigation/avoidance through CC while bringing far more DPS to the table. I guess if it wasn't for PVP implications they'd have a much easier time buffing GFs for PVE.
    edited March 2014
    baylen76 wrote: »
    Hmm what would I do as a GF.

a) I'd instantly use "Into the Fray" run-speed-buff upon casket-audio ("Rise...", "Come forth..."), making it easier for everyone to get their caskets
    Did it. Does help, but when your DPS is lowered to the point that you get hand+8 caskets spawned, it is simply not worth it.
    b) I'd bring Knight Captain set for power buffage, at least at boss (as GFs have no noteworthy DPS of their own in PVE)
    Did it. Always do, and I expect to get instakicked if I don't.
    c) I'd put the perma-mark on Val for 8% more damage
    Did it. Last tries, Tide of iron too for 20% extra.
    d) I'd enjoy having Threatening Rush/Lunging Strike for caskets/helping with hands
    Used lunge, not Rush, because the range is simply pathetic. By the time the skill is usable, I am like 1s away from the casket. I am not sure if I gain any time at all. Regardless, I think I missed 1 casket in 3 tries.
    I guess it would be doable, maybe a tad slower than in a standard easymode 2CW 2GWF 1DC group, but potentially quite safe if people have experience with caskets.
    Yeah, I am not saying it is not. Everything is viable given enough muscle. But I am aware my presence raises the bar significatively. Sure, a bunch of 17K toons could just have told me "stay alive and click caskets, we will butcher Val" and win. But when the team isn't that strong, I find that I can not carry my own weight (AKA do my DPS portion)
    In the end, GF isn't needed or attractive enough to justify bringing other than for the player behind it, so your complaint is definitely valid. Another CW in its place would effectively mean more overall damage mitigation/avoidance through CC while bringing far more DPS to the table. I guess if it wasn't for PVP implications they'd have a much easier time buffing GFs for PVE.

So true...and so hard to solve.
  • azrael778azrael778 Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Guys, my guardian fighter toon is well liked especially in hard dungeon fights like VT and CN draco fight.we have to accept the fact that the role of a gf nowadays is to buff. I use a knight cap set to buff those cws and gwfs to into outrageously high power to burn the boss quickly.making GF's well sought after by more experienced players who wants to farm val crown artifact... lucky me on rolls... i won to val crown artifacts already.so dont lose hope guys...
  • alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    What Cryptic should do is rebalance GF into a "defense-oriented DPS" role and then introduce a proper tank like Paladin or Warden.
  • jezwirajezwira Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Actually GF's have very high "burst" which is why they're good in PvP, now if you'd raise their sustained DPS they'd be more usefull in PvE as well :)
  • zetoorzetoor Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yes you are a tank, aslong you pull out enough threath via your dps.

at valindra use battlefury & leap, will help you :)
  • mantatermantater Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2014
    I love it when dwarf gf's are in my party. I just like having dwarfs around.

I suppose you could tank all the spawns if a casket gets missed, then just continue fighting Val to save time?

I always seem to have a tank in my non-pug parties usually because it's a guildie and we enjoy playing together. I think however if your party as a whole is on the lower side of DPS than having an extra damage class along can be a crutch or alternative. But the buffs from a good gf are great, especially if they are running a debuff enchant that some people forget exist outside of the vorpal blinking.
  • grimahgrimah Member Posts: 1,658 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    use knight's challenge (though currently it seems to bug out and you have to stand for a moment whilst it activates)

lunging strike, for quick casket control.

You can actually tank her, but it's use comes into play at 50%-20%. during this phase, you should have agro (if you have enhanced mark on especially). During this phase when someone gets hands, you get full control of where that AP AOE lands (on you) so you can easily keep it away from people who are grabbed.

I have had no problems with VT as a GF. If your party is weak, you can use knight's valor to absorb their damage during the 50% onwards stage too.
    Creator of the featured survival horror foundry: "The Silence of Haydenwick" Video Review
    and also the featured satirical comedic adventure "A Call for Heroes".