test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Weekly Poll #2

ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
edited March 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hey guys,

So recently the developers released an anagram hinting at the contents of Module 3.

Are you interested in getting hints about future content with anagrams and puzzles?

Let us know. :D
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,781 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'd prefer not. I'd rather just be told what's coming. I don't find puzzle's fun, and I don't enjoy having a carrot dangled in front of me.
    Lay it out so I can think about it for a while.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Even tho I didn't participate in it. It was fun seeing all the guesses. They should do it again. It gets people looking up Lore and learning more about it.
  • Options
    two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think puzzles are a great way of generating attention and audience participation. So, yes.

However, I personally found the follow-up from the last puzzle distasteful.
    But... but... you are used one too many "s"!!! Indeed we did. If you are extremely well-versed in the D&D books, you would know that Akar Kessell has been spelled in multiple ways. While the official way is with the double L and double S, we were afraid it would be too easy, so we through in our own twist. Even so, a collection of you still managed to figure it out. Well played!

Spelling mistakes happen, particularly when dealing with fantasy fiction full of invented names and terms. Just admit when a mistake is made; don't bother with a feeble attempt to pretend it was intentional. Perhaps this follow-up was intended as a joke, but tone can be difficult to interpret and sincerity is worth more.

It appears that I "won" by being first to post the broken answer, but in the end, it felt alienating.
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • Options
    iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes! hopefully the next one looks something like this :
    Clue ~ And then there were nine...
    Anagram ~ LCOKARW NDA RIUDD MCIOGN ONOS xD
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • Options
    dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    Even tho I didn't participate in it. It was fun seeing all the guesses. They should do it again. It gets people looking up Lore and learning more about it.

Pretty much, what rhoric said.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The sole purpose is to engage the player base, it does't matter if there is any meaning in it at all. Star Trek Online does this all the time at Twitter ("what starship is your favorite?; What faction is your favorite? Which is your favorite adversary?") Yadda, yadda, yadda. They do not care. It's all about getting retweets and mentions and "engaging" the players. The players think they are participating in a meaningful way when they really aren;t. It's "feel good" nonsense. (It's mom and dad throwing the kiddies a cookie so the kiddies will be placated and feel like mom and dad are engaging them.)

And there's nothing wrong with this.

So, little teasers and puzzles like the one OP is referring to: meaningless more or less. A waste of time? I don't think so - except for the fact that even though the answer was found, there STILL is no official response from Cryptic stating "THIS IS THE ANSWER" and perhaps congratulating the person who found it first. Which just goes to show: they don't really care, other than to engage the players to placate them.

And there's nothing wrong with this.

Though this puzzle was seriously flawed in that it required deep knowledge of the lore, so the very chance of getting it right were pretty slim odds. To me, the "fairness" ratio in that range of existing Neverwinter players is rather slanted, and steeply so. Looking up lore is fine and good, but when you don't know what you don't know, looking things up is a moot subject. But I digress.
  • Options
    djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Replied yes but if there was a prize attached to it, like the comment to win threads, Sominator use to do. Randomly pick the winner from all correct answers before end of teasers.
  • Options
    psyb3rtr011psyb3rtr011 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I want the Puzzle Teasers IN the Future Content.

I find Dungeons that are hack and slash only to be boring.
    Psyb3rTr011
    AKA Cyber Troll and Euben Hadd
  • Options
    akemnosakemnos Member Posts: 597 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Puzzles can be fun but they need to be done correctly, ie not deliberately (or accidentally) making a mistake
  • Options
    ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    Haha, yeah my jaw dropped when there was a missing letter. I am quite impressed we got the correct answer despite that. Kudos to our community!

Let's assume future puzzles won't have such a major error when voting, though. :D
  • Options
    cadwallendercadwallender Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, it was fun trying to get that right.

Let's not make them so "creative" that it takes a scholar an entire day to figure it out.

And if we're talking about "in game," just a "teaser" with multiple choice answers like the "artifact" quest ending.
    The Master Teaches:

"Every Attack Can Become a Defense"
    "Any Defense Can Be Made An Attack"

Lethalla L 60 "Stealth" TR

You Don't Hear the One With Your Name On It

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I'm bad at word games. I'd prefer things like a tiny little section of a screenshot or something, as a teaser, etc.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    arsonall82arsonall82 Member Posts: 151 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Puzzles, no.

An ARG, yes.

In other words, a thought-out presentation, nothing worse than having letters missing "for the sake of the puzzle working"

that's beyond aggravating, especially to those that DO enjoy puzzles, that's like, what's a 5 letter word for disappoint? :angry. but it's not angry, even though angry works, we meant miffed (its 6, i know, but it worked better saying it had 5 letters, tee hee)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the feedback everybody. It was certainly closer than I had expected but very much enlightening!

The new weekly poll has been posted. Please check it out. :)
  • Options
    grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    the old "Warlock and Druid coming soon". That was 5 easy jumbles, now use the same characters and 5 groups and send the same message.
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Yes! hopefully the next one looks something like this :
    Clue ~ And then there were nine...
    Anagram ~ LCOKARW NDA RIUDD MCIOGN ONOS xD