test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

PvP and ELO ranking and Whiners - Oh My!

eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
Did all of you whining about the PvP and new ELO ranking after ONE or TWO matches fail basic math?

The ELO ranking system needs about THIRTY games to be able to adjust your ELO rating.

If you haven't played AT LEAST THIRTY PvP matches yet -- stop whining.

Once you have played thirty -- THEN play TEN more and report on matches 31-40.

Anything before that and you merely exude ignorance.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• adernathadernath Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I agree with the OP, but there is no need to start a new thread about this topic to the already countless ones exisiting here.
    Suggestions to improve NW:
    - Dualspec
    - Better rewarding foundry and foundry pvp maps
    - Custom PvP leagues with leaderboards instead of the current 'matchmaking'.
    - Armory
    - make jumping cost stamina (to reduce hopping in pvp)
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Would really like to play 30+, but. the. queue.
  • iliveforpvpiliveforpvp Member Posts: 268 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Did all of you whining about the PvP and new ELO ranking after ONE or TWO matches fail basic math?

The ELO ranking system needs about THIRTY games to be able to adjust your ELO rating.

If you haven't played AT LEAST THIRTY PvP matches yet -- stop whining.

Once you have played thirty -- THEN play TEN more and report on matches 31-40.

Anything before that and you merely exude ignorance.

People don't like change and this was a lot of it. For the next two weeks or so, you will hear complaints about things that don't even make sense. I had pugs yelling at me and my team two days ago saying that the matchmaking wasn't working lol.

Just let it pass, it always does.
  • blindnirvanablindnirvana Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    so after 30 matches I won't be waiting 20minutes per pvp que? the wait for que to pop is driving me nuts...
    edited March 2014
    Limited instances, A LOT of people all trying to get glory and seals. Give it a day or two and it will be fine :) same thing has happened before.
  • zolronzolron Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    so after 30 matches I won't be waiting 20minutes per pvp que? the wait for que to pop is driving me nuts...

+10......
    The thing I'm most disappointed in ( so far) is the long ques....I want to only pvp on this toon, but these ques make it pretty much impossible..If I only have an hour to play, I could at least get 3-5 games in before...now i can barely get one. The boredom in between matches makes me feel like poking my eyes out with an ice pick :(
  • subsidalsubsidal Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    30 matches?? With Qs this long good luck getting 10, let alone 30.
  • lucifron44lucifron44 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    zolron wrote: »
    the long ques.... these ques make it pretty much impossible..

You think it's because more ppl are pvp-ing atm or because the queue algorithm has become more complex and takes more time to calculate a matchup?
    Russian leaderboard first page. The proof.
  • zolronzolron Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    lucifron44 wrote: »
    You think it's because more ppl are pvp-ing atm or because the queue algorithm has become more complex and takes more time to calculate a matchup?

At this point I am unsure TBH...both make sense to me..there is a ton of ppl trying out pvp, but I am pretty sure there were plenty pre-patch also. I lean more towards there que algorithm ( but, we all have hardly any ratings so why the long que ? )
    .../confused
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As other people have stated, its hard to get those 30 matches you speak of, when the que takes 30 minutes just to get into one match. I was actually able to get into L 10-19 match and L 50-59 match quicker than L 60 PVP matches.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After a full 2 weeks....

Top ranked players are going to have incredibly long Q's, and are always going to be fighting the same people. Much like it was prior to this bunk patch, minus of course the 30min to hour long Q times of course. Top ranked players will Quit..out of unbelievable boredom.

After those top players quit. A new set/group of players will take the place of the top ranked players. They, will eventually quit as well, because of the same thing.

After a month, the overall player base of the PvP community I guarantee you will shrink by 60%, if not more.

The largest Pool of players after 2 weeks is going to be the mediocre players. But because of the downfall of the overall playerbase, even the largest of ELO ranked players will have tremendous Q times..because of the vicious circle they have started.
    edited March 2014
    munkey81 wrote: »
    After a full 2 weeks....

Top ranked players are going to have incredibly long Q's, and are always going to be fighting the same people. Much like it was prior to this bunk patch, minus of course the 30min to hour long Q times of course. Top ranked players will Quit..out of unbelievable boredom.

After those top players quit. A new set/group of players will take the place of the top ranked players. They, will eventually quit as well, because of the same thing.

After a month, the overall player base of the PvP community I guarantee you will shrink by 60%, if not more.

The largest Pool of players after 2 weeks is going to be the mediocre players. But because of the downfall of the overall playerbase, even the largest of ELO ranked players will have tremendous Q times..because of the vicious circle they have started.

The system will TRY to match you up with a comparable opponent, if none are queued, you get the closest thing...

Bit dramatic don't you think? People said this after mod 2 dropped as well.
  • munkey81munkey81 Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The system will TRY to match you up with a comparable opponent, if none are queued, you get the closest thing...

Bit dramatic don't you think? People said this after mod 2 dropped as well.

I don't believe in Drama. I am a realist. If you got the closest thing people wouldn't be sitting in hour long Q's.

My theory, of after 2 weeks is not just "my" theory. We all said this long ago when they brought it up in the first place. They didn't listen.

Entire guilds of top players have already quit. This is only making it worse, and the final straw for the majority of the top tiered players.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I don't believe in Drama. I am a realist. If you got the closest thing people wouldn't be sitting in hour long Q's.

Queue is obviously still messed up. Devs stated that matchmaking tries to get equal competition but if unable will queue you up with whoever available. So I guess the current wait time is not how it's supposed to work.
  • subsidalsubsidal Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    After a full 2 weeks....

Pretty much. Right now anyone hardly has any ranking and queues take over 30min. So imagine when we are all divided by ranking? Top players be prepared to wait in q for several hours.
    edited March 2014
    Literally the entire player base is trying to get into a match right now.. Could be an issue with too few pvp instances and not the ELO. If it's the same in a week, I'll shut up and agree. Until then, this seems like a large amount of assuming based on little facts.
    edited March 2014
    Also the queue was getting faster the later it got..
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    subsidal wrote: »
    So imagine when we are all divided by ranking? Top players be prepared to wait in q for several hours.

What makes you think it will be divided exactly evenly?
    Suppose they take the top 30% for a grouping, then 10%,10%,10%,10%, and the bottom 30% ?
    ...or how about 40%,10,10,10,10,20 ?
    ...or maybe 50%, 10, 10, 30 ?

Until the "bulk" of PvPers have 30+ sessions in the statistic pool you're just pulling predictions out of thin air.