test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP Rogue Build - can someone explain?

lamminatbodenlamminatboden Member Posts: 51 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi everybody,

I recently got Lvl 60 with my first character and decided to try more pvp. I just played a couple along the way to 60 before. These were actually quiet fun. Now I loose every single game, I guess because I still have to learn how it works and most of the people I'm matched are already well experienced and have tier 3 horse, not to mention their higher equip (as Luskan it's not so easy to get T2).

But there is one thing I would like to know more about. Sometimes I encounter somekind of Ueber-TR, who easily 1v3 us. Since I'm not a rogue player I would love to know how his build works and what one could possibly do against it. Here is what happens:

1. The rogue goes invisible for a long time and throws daggers at us. Among one of the effects is somekind of poison damage.

2. When he gets visible, he has CC immunity.

3. On top of that, he basically doesn't take anymore damage. I dont know if he has a high damage resistance or lowers our damage output for a huge amount.

4. He is just a small time visible and with his CC immunity and damage resistance we cant really kill him. Then he gets invisible again and it starts all over! When he reappears again, he life leeched the little damage we dealt away. This way we already lost more than one 3v1.

I do have a lantern of revelation, but it has 3min CD and we cant kill him fast enough anyways.

So my question:

- What kind of rogue build is this? Even my rogue-playing friend isnt even sure if it is a whisperknife or a master infiltrator (hurling daggers at one side, but being invis almost the whole time on the other side).

- What can we do against this? There seems to be a small time window where he is not CC immun. Once a GWF came along and kill this Ueber Rogue in a couple of hits. But as long as I dont know what encounters he is using at what CDs, I cant really hit that time window.

- Or am I not really doing anything wrong and he probably just had 15k equip (vs my 10k)? I couldnt find this rogue build anywhere in the forum yet.

While I'm on it, another question: in about half of the time, people in pvp stand up immediately after they've been killed! Are they all buying scrolls with Zen? Or does every second pvpler has a soulforged enchantment? Or are there any other effects that can instantly resurrect you that I'm not aware of?

Thanks
Post edited by lamminatboden on

Comments

• Options
    utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi everybody,
    So my question:

- What kind of rogue build is this? Even my rogue-playing friend isnt even sure if it is a whisperknife or a master infiltrator (hurling daggers at one side, but being invis almost the whole time on the other side).

- What can we do against this? There seems to be a small time window where he is not CC immun. Once a GWF came along and kill this Ueber Rogue in a couple of hits. But as long as I dont know what encounters he is using at what CDs, I cant really hit that time window.

- Or am I not really doing anything wrong and he probably just had 15k equip (vs my 10k)? I couldnt find this rogue build anywhere in the forum yet.

While I'm on it, another question: in about half of the time, people in pvp stand up immediately after they've been killed! Are they all buying scrolls with Zen? Or does every second pvpler has a soulforged enchantment? Or are there any other effects that can instantly resurrect you that I'm not aware of?

Thanks

- The rogue is definitely a master infiltrator one since he could use impossible to catch to make him nearly invincible while visible. The poison damage you got from his throwing daggers is from bilethorn enchantment, which gives one extra hit upon an attack then follows by another one after 4 seconds. Considering that the rogue could stay so long in stealth, he/she must be a permanent or semi permanent stealth rogue with alot INT and recovery.

-To against this build, it requires a lot experience to predict whereabouts the rogue is and his/her movement. Also, its up to your class. Basically, any AoE attack/CC that does not require a target is useful against these rogues, such as CW's Maelstorm, icy terrain, DC's chain, knock back, etc. Also, regardless of what class you are, to pvp effectively, you need defensive stats, such as regen, defense, deflect and life steal. Those would, at least, help you survive those daggers until your reinforcement comes.

-Those rogues with 15-17k gs are not too rare nowadays. You might pump into one of those.

-It must be soulforge effect which has 90 seconds cooldown on the lesser one. The higher grade the soulforge is, the lower the cooldown will be. And in both pvp and pve, soulforge is the most popular armor enchantment thank to its resurrect effect. However, with the incoming pvp patch, soulforge will get hit quite a bit since the new healing depression effect will cut the healing part of soulforge by 50%.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • Options
    zugzug3zugzug3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hi everybody,

I recently got Lvl 60 with my first character and decided to try more pvp. I just played a couple along the way to 60 before. These were actually quiet fun. Now I loose every single game, I guess because I still have to learn how it works and most of the people I'm matched are already well experienced and have tier 3 horse, not to mention their higher equip (as Luskan it's not so easy to get T2).

In fact it's easier to get T2 Gauntlgrym gear as a Luskan since you'll get into PVP no problem, which should net you 6 extra Grym coins per round.
    1. The rogue goes invisible for a long time and throws daggers at us. Among one of the effects is somekind of poison damage.

This is an at-will called cloud of steel. The more daggers he hits you with, the more damage they deal. Starts out with 8 daggers that recharge every few seconds. Best thing to do is to dodge. Also the rogue you were fighting likely has a bilethorn enchantment since you describe a poison effect.
    2. When he gets visible, he has CC immunity.

This is an encounter called Impossible to Catch (ITC). While it's active rogues are immune to control, and if they activate it in stealth they're immune to all damage. It lasts a few seconds . . . don't attack the rogue at this point. Wait until he's no longer completely black.
    3. On top of that, he basically doesn't take anymore damage. I dont know if he has a high damage resistance or lowers our damage output for a huge amount.

See above.
    4. He is just a small time visible and with his CC immunity and damage resistance we cant really kill him. Then he gets invisible again and it starts all over! When he reappears again, he life leeched the little damage we dealt away. This way we already lost more than one 3v1.

Don't fight him 3v1. That's what he wants. While you're fighting him your other two party members are getting massacred.

It's called permastealth, almost always master infiltrator is the paragon path.

For what you can do specifically we need to know your class. Rogues are not immune to damage while stealthed so AOE attacks work well. Path of the Blade (rogue encounter) is especially effective. Most classes have a way to get around the stealth. Experience is especially important (many people are good at predicting the movements or permastealths), so you need to keep at it. Joining a guild and pvping with them can help you learn very, very fast.

There are several threads on permastealth build. This one is extremely popular. You probably were facing a high gs rogue, but even low gs permastealths (like mine) can confound people who aren't prepared to deal with them.

They're soulforged enchantments. Scrolls won't work in PVP. Grab four soulforged shards and a coalescent ward you can have one too!
  • Options
    lamminatbodenlamminatboden Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Thanks guys, that was very helpful!
  • Options
    slushlikewindslushlikewind Member Posts: 272 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    Now i know why my TR gets so many rage when I pvp.

I thought everyone knows high recovery+ INT+ Bilethorn TR with Shadow Strike can do this.
  • Options
    godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    You can make rogues using that build die easy 1v1 (or 2v1 if u aren't geared enough). All you need is bilethorn weapon enchant. The hits from the enchant after they go stealthed drain their stealth significantly through tenacious concealment even. On top of this, impact shot and crit damage is getting a nerf, so why not try path of the blade? PoTB's damage wont be nerfed as much as other skills even since it doesn't crit. In addition, if you use this skill one a stealthed rogue, it will quickly drain their stealth as well in the same manner tha bilethorn enchant would.

Finally, to achieve this kind of build, all you need is some INT, high recovery, and T2 or higher pvp gear. (The extra +5% stealth helps more than you'd think). However, I did make a post in the TR section recently. This build is known to be overpowered and one of the game developers said in a livestream that they are planning to nerf these builds by implementing things such as making you visible to who you attack from stealth or by making attacking from stealth drain stealth meter. It will still be a decent build, but you aren't going to see this kind of build being as viable or taking on as many enemies easily in the future.

BTW, for recovery you are going to want ~1.7k, but even higher is better. Depending on how much INT you get, you may need a bit more. Also, the t2 gear does help a good amount. You are not doing anything wrong. It's just a matter of things don't click for rogue like other classes until you get that build set up properly (if that is the build you are aiming for).
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    The combination of these 2 leads me to believe you're dealing with a (semi)perma stealth whisperknife . Disheartening strike does DoT (more every second for 5 seconds), and reduces damage you do to the one throwing the dagger for a short period. Maybe he had a bilethorn enchantment as well for Cloud of steel.

And yes, there are a few ways to catch him. The best are already described above.

-edit-
    one way to get to learn what skills people use against you is enabling a setting in the options menu:
    Show Player Triggered Power Names. I never used it so I can't say how accurate it is, but it might help.

Whisperknives do not have access to ITC, so I doubt it was one.