test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Sequence of quest steps, failure would force restart.

touchyourelftouchyourelf Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in The Foundry
Hey Folks,

Is there a way to setup a goto point so that if the user fails a sequence of steps they have to start over?

For example:
1:) Hey, Take the trash out, upon success I'll give you this item to progress.
2:) Go to trash Bin
3:) Retrieve trash item
4:) Go outside
5:) Fight zombie invasion
6:) Put trash in dumpster
7:) Fight zombie rebirth
8:) Go inside
9:) You did it, here's is the item and a portal to the next map.

Ultimately I am hoping to create a event. In the example above if the player dies during the zombie invasion, at respawn it would reset the quest back to step 1.

Is this possible?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Not possible the way you're envisioning it. The reason is that each and every interaction is a once-off: a trigger that does not toggle. For example: if you have an NPC that the player is supposed to interact with, once3 interacted there is no way to repeat that (except to remove that NPC and place a copy in the same place with the same interaction - but what if you need a third? A fourth? A fifth?

Note that ITEMS that are set to interactive are always interactive over and over - as long as they are NOT part of your storyboard. I don;t want to confuse you with too much detail, but suffice it to say_ yes you can do this, but in a very different way from what you;re thinking. Foundry sometimes forces us to think of very creative, unorthodox ways of accomplishing things.

One thing you can do is to duplicate the completed steps map - then if they need to "restart" - send them to the duplicated map.
  • Options
    touchyourelftouchyourelf Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 3
    edited March 2014
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Okay I'm home now... I can think better and be a little more verbose. Based on your description, here is how I would do it, as long as the steps are only "interactive objects" and not NPCs or killable mobs. Also the final goal must be behind some kind of door. If you want killable mobs and NPCs in there, then the "do-over" must be built in segments.

So here is my scenario:
    NPC1: - starts by telling you the proper process you must follow:
    Find item1, find item 2, find item 3, kill mob1, deliver item 2 to item 4, deliver item 1 to item 5, kill mob, deliver item 3 to final NPC2.

Setup:
    Storyboard includes NPC1, then Mob1, then mob2, then finally NPC2

Mechanics:
    Talk to NPC1 - get instructions.
    Set up item 1, 2 and 3 - then a DOORWAY (entrance to next area is blocked)
    Item 1 gives ITEM1
    Item 2 REQUIRES ITEM 1-Gives Item 2; Destroys (consumes) ITEM 1
    Item 3 REQUIRES ITEM 2-Gives Item 3; Destroys (consumes) ITEM 2
    DOORWAY UNBLOCKED if Component Complete: ITEM 3; or REQUIRES ITEM 3
    Fight mob (note, fight mob can be before the doorway opens, either way, the first part must be completed before doorway opens.

Now, repeat this process for Items 4 and 5, final NPC requires Item 5 and consumes it.

If the objects that give the Items are NOT in storyboard they can be interacted with over and over again. The trick is to find a way to set a "FAIL" if they are not done in the right order. You can figure it out. Is the custom inventory items for this process. Then for each interactive object, use the "Requires Item", "Gives Item" and "Consumes Item" to create a bit of a puzzle that must be solved.

Using the Requires, Gives, and Consumes inventory item is how you add your checks-and-balances to know if the player interacted with the object in the right order. You can do this if each object required, gives, or consumes TWO items (require Item 1 AND 3, then gives Item 2 if success for example).

You are creating a puzzle, so you must solve the puzzle in order to build it.

I hope this helps.