test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

HR's Constricting Arrow unbalanced

meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited March 2014 in PvE Discussion
The HR's Encounter "Constricting Arrow" is any CW's death without any way to dodge it. Which would be fine if it was a daily that required full AP. TR's Shocking Execution can't be dodged either, but it's a daily, so it is fair at some point.

The problem: if you dodge the initial hit, you still get "grabbed" two more times. Those grabs cancel any spell and send it to full cooldown. If timed right, with 3 dodges, this ability can be dodged. Problem is, the HR can cast other CC abilities, if timed correctly, between the grabs, to prevent the CW from dodging in the right moment (or FORCE them to dodge other attacks, so they don't have enough dodges left), which basically leads to perma CC and inability to cast any encounter.

My suggestion: if you take the first hit to the face, you get grabbed 3 times as intended. If you dodge the first hit, you don't get grabbed two more times. This would definitely balance it out a little. As for now, it is possible for experienced, Recovery-focused HRs to CC CWs 100 % of the time. If the CW is tanky and the HR cannot kill him, typing "/killme" is the only way out.
Post edited by meldan3n on

Comments

• Options
    williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    meldan3n wrote: »
    The HR's Encounter "Constricting Arrow" is any CW's death without any way to dodge it. Which would be fine if it was a daily that required full AP. TR's Shocking Execution can't be dodged either, but it's a daily, so it is fair at some point.

The problem: if you dodge the initial hit, you still get "grabbed" two more times. Those grabs cancel any spell and send it to full cooldown. If timed right, with 3 dodges, this ability can be dodged. Problem is, the HR can cast other CC abilities, if timed correctly, between the grabs, to prevent the CW from dodging in the right moment (or FORCE them to dodge other attacks, so they don't have enough dodges left), which basically leads to perma CC and inability to cast any encounter.

My suggestion: if you take the first hit to the face, you get grabbed 3 times as intended. If you dodge the first hit, you don't get grabbed two more times. This would definitely balance it out a little. As for now, it is possible for experienced, Recovery-focused HRs to CC CWs 100 % of the time. If the CW is tanky and the HR cannot kill him, typing "/killme" is the only way out.

This was already debated about, but thank god at least you seem reasonable about it, as opposed to crying about it. I agree to what youre suggesting. Even though Constricting Arrow is the only non daily way to deal with cws, if its dodgeable, then it balances out a bit.
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    kunekadenkunekaden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 115 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    As for now, it is possible for experienced, Recovery-focused HRs to CC CWs 100 % of the time.

It has almost nothing to do with recovery.
  • Options
    williep30williep30 Member Posts: 773 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    magenubbie wrote: »
    I fail to see the connection to "recovery based" builds. If anything, they should have less trouble if they cast a spell while constricted. Funny how the TS complains about constricting arrow, but doesn't seem to mind the permanent knockdown certain other classes use for "perma CC". Guess the TS doesn't come in contact with those. It's only important when it affects the person writing the topic and not other classes? You're basically asking for a nerf for one of the few skills that actually work well against mages. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets closed really fast.

Anyway, Constricting Arrow is working as intended as stated many times over. Deal with the fact there's a class with a weapon against you. It's what the rest of us do (unless you're a GWF/GF). Adapt to the opponent or be prepared to eat dust. That's the way of PvP.

Be careful man, ive said pretty much the same as you just did in a different forum about Constricting Arrow. Theres a couple people who will throw a fit about "defending an OP ability just cause you use it".
    I hear "learn to play" all the time, but it seems to me that it should be defined as "my class is balanced, except when others beat it, then THAT class is OP"...
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Funny how the TS complains about constricting arrow, but doesn't seem to mind the permanent knockdown certain other classes use for "perma CC".

Name one. "Perma CC" is not "CC chain". "Perma CC" means the build is created to actually hold you in place for minutes without killing you.
    I wouldn't be surprised if this gets closed really fast.

If people like you keep posting here, it probably will. Watch your tone and restrain from posting if you can't state a constructive argument. From what I've understood so far, your argument is "It works against mages, deal with it!". This is not what I'm asking for in this thread. If you wish to discuss the effectiveness of a skill against certain classes, please be more specific.

My suggestion is: if you dodge the first hit, you shouldn't be grabbed 2 more times. If you think it's a bad idea that would mess up the balance with certain classes, feel free to discuss it.
  • Options
    copycat818copycat818 Member Posts: 62
    edited March 2014
    the CA is very balanced already,dont need to be change at all
  • Options
    alcibaides415bcalcibaides415bc Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes it is a little OP, but CWs can chain prone to almost infinity as well: Entangle, ray of frost, shard on mastery, icy ray, ice knife, chill strike. Thats almost perma CC right there.

I don't know if tenacity is going to affect constricting arrow, but if it does then nothing needs to be done about it.
  • Options
    kweassakweassa Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Be it Shocking Execution or Constricting Arrow -- "undodgeable" is an inevitability built into a class characteristic.

Any kind of; "No, there's no way to avoid that" in PvP, is by definition OverPowering -- as in "Nothing within your power can make you avoid the results the enemy intended on you" = "you've been OverPowered"

How the !(#@*&! does anyone say being rooted or strangled when you've never been hit, is "balanced" ?
    Stop making excuses. Be a man.
    If you know something to be broken, stop using it.
    Otherwise, you've got no right to be speaking of 'balance.'
  • Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think things should go both ways. If CA is easier for others to dodge, then they should make HRs able to dodge more skills in return. There are a bunch of stuff that HRs can't dodge against a CW, and one that most classes can't dodge from a CW is Icy Rays.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jaotut wrote: »
    I think things should go both ways. If CA is easier for others to dodge, then they should make HRs able to dodge more skills in return. There are a bunch of stuff that HRs can't dodge against a CW, and one that most classes can't dodge from a CW is Icy Rays.

Definitely. But the problem I have is the low cooldown. Once the CC chain is finished, the HR starts his rotation all over again. The CW's Icy Rays has a very long cooldown, which is actually the reason why I don't prefer using it. The casting time is also long and easy to predict due to the "marker", it doesn't stun or interrupt the target. CA, on the other hand, is unpredictable and affects you for over 7 seconds (Icy Rays only holds you in place for 2 seconds while the target can cast and keep casting anything he wants).
    It is a nice encounter, but the fact that the HR can put other CC right between the CA grabs (and then immediately go again), makes it OP, from my point of view. Which is ok. A CW can CC someone, too, until he's dead (especially with the Meatball rotation), but CW's encounters are dodgeable/avoidable; pull any CC on the CW the moment you hear Icy Rays (CWs can't dodge while Icy Rays is casted). In case of HRs, they just need to decide "Ok, I'm gonna perma CC this CW", and there is nothing a CW can do about it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Definitely. But the problem I have is the low cooldown. Once the CC chain is finished, the HR starts his rotation all over again.

Rank 3 Constricting Arrow lasts up to 7 seconds. 3 stuns, one when the skill hits (if it hits), 1 after 3 seconds, the last after 6 seconds (1 second stun, which has its duration lowered by resistance and deflect).

Constricting Arrow has a 16 second recast with 1158 recovery and 12 INT. 15.6 with 1458. The curve gets much worse from there.

EDIT: Here's the curve
    (36x^{1.5})/(102310+x^{1.5})
    where x is your recovery value and the solution is your recharge speed increase %

Like I said, this has almost nothing to do with recovery.
    Furthermore, the recast timer on this skill is quite high.

There's plenty of stuff that follows the behavior of still applying an effect (cc in this case) even if you dodge it - All of which badly need to be fixed. Some include:
    Student of the Sword
    Deep Gash
    Threatening Rush
    skills that add roots
    etc
    etc
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    I'd like to further add that my pvp CW has a recast timer of 13.4 seconds on Icy Rays.
    You said Icy Rays has a long recast timer.

My pvp HR has a recast timer of 16.0 seconds on Constricting Arrow.
    You say the recast timer on it is too low.

???
  • Options
    cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    As I play all classes... I say leave the skill as is. I do this to learn all the strengths and weaknesses of each class. It has made me by far a better PVPer... and I do not carry anytop end gear and always hold my own.

Granted Constricting Arrow can be as annoying as hell, you still have half a second between constricts to get a power out. What I usuallly do is use Entagling Force...constrict.. then hit them with a Chill Strike... turns you into a button masher to get it out, but almost always works. This will usually back 80% of HRs off as they are squishy as hell, and you probably just took them down to half health. I typically own most HRs I come across solo. They get their hits in... but usually end up dead.

Again I play all classes... I don't tend to use Constricting Arrow unless there is more than one CW in the enemy team and they have been CCing me to death. I use much more brutal rotations on them... One combo I use will kill a CW outright if he is alone and not running shield on tab.

So to nerf that one ability... will only make others discover the rotation, and make you hate them even more. CA does not need a nerf... it needs you to change your strategy against them. A well balanced team will still destroy a good HR.
  • Options
    yeahnubbyyeahnubby Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    "Constricting Arrow: The ongoing negative effect is now considered a control effect and may be removed by control immunity or prevented by Guardian Fighter’s guard."
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kunekaden2 wrote: »
    There's plenty of stuff that follows the behavior of still applying an effect (cc in this case) even if you dodge it - All of which badly need to be fixed. Some include:
    Student of the Sword
    Deep Gash
    Threatening Rush
    skills that add roots
    etc
    etc

Wholeheartedly agree. Especially the knock-prones the fighters throw around.

It's bad enough they are some of the fastest activating melee CCs (compare to the one and only hard-control melee CC a TR has, Dazing Strike, which takes almost 2 seconds in activation), but to have dodged it beforehand but still getting splattered to the ground during mid-dodge just sucks.

Anything -- be it an encounter, at-will, or even a daily -- "undodgeable" is simply bullshi* in a CC-heavy PvP environment, to which the only defense for squishies is shift/dodge/teleport etc..
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Well the cooldown of HR skills are reduced from stompstep action, which I suppose gives HR skills a lower cooldown than CW's skills. But a CW have so many more encounters that can CC a HR. Entangling Force, Chill strike, Repel all works quite well, all HRs have is Constricting and Disruptive Shot daily which works quite well against CWs and is needed.

If the Constricting Arrows are dodged while HR can't dodge any CW's skills, then during that 16 seconds cooldown, the HR will stand no chance.

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    jaotut wrote: »
    Well the cooldown of HR skills are reduced from stompstep action, which I suppose gives HR skills a lower cooldown than CW's skills. But a CW have so many more encounters that can CC a HR. Entangling Force, Chill strike, Repel all works quite well, all HRs have is Constricting and Disruptive Shot daily which works quite well against CWs and is needed.

If the Constricting Arrows are dodged while HR can't dodge any CW's skills, then during that 16 seconds cooldown, the HR will stand no chance.

That's hardly a point worth considering. For instance, how is that any different from a (let's say for example) a melee class that fails in its attempt to hit the CW due to a well timed teleport, and then ends up getting CCd by the CW?

If the CW dodged it, then you shot it off at the wrong timing. Why should the system compensate for your failure to get a hit in? Under that logic, then I'd ask for my TR an undodgeable Lashing Blade, please. My target CW/HR might dodge it... oh noes!
  • Options
    railcarrailcar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Annoying, but doesn't bother me as much as binding.
  • Options
    alvadimarcoalvadimarco Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    CW vs HR.

This can go one of two ways. Either the CW will get their skills off first and perma-CC the HR until victory or the HR will get their skills off first and, if they're good (read: decent hybrid or melee), can kill the CW before the CC wears off.

CWs have the distinct advantage here, but HRs need a nerf?

You guys are funny. Keep up the good jokes.
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Hmmm I have had my shocking execution dodged, and I just dodged one this morning. It is also interruptable, it is also bugged where it goes off and does nothing except drain your AP, maybe 1 in 50 times it does that.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    CW vs HR.

This can go one of two ways. Either the CW will get their skills off first and perma-CC the HR until victory or the HR will get their skills off first and, if they're good (read: decent hybrid or melee), can kill the CW before the CC wears off.

CWs have the distinct advantage here, but HRs need a nerf?

You guys are funny. Keep up the good jokes.

Not as funny as your failure to comprehend the simple truth about how "undodgeable" is a problem.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Hmmm I have had my shocking execution dodged, and I just dodged one this morning. It is also interruptable, it is also bugged where it goes off and does nothing except drain your AP, maybe 1 in 50 times it does that.

Shox is undodgeable, period. It's systematically impossible to dodge/deflect. It always lands.

The only case it fails, is when the target escapes the 30' cylinder during activation (longer than any dodge distance, only happens with a badly-timed Shox activation), in which case the failure might consume AP (much like the Shadow Strike bug)... and interrupt means nothing since it can simply be reactivated.
  • Options
    dnosrcdnosrc Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Shox is undodgeable, period. It's systematically impossible to dodge/deflect. It always lands.

The only case it fails, is when the target escapes the 30' cylinder during activation (longer than any dodge distance, only happens with a badly-timed Shox activation), in which case the failure might consume AP (much like the Shadow Strike bug)... and interrupt means nothing since it can simply be reactivated.

The second case is, if the tr dies between activation and completion of shocking.
  • Options
    stalesmokestalesmoke Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 126 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    I<3 punting tr's mid shocking exe animation
  • Options
    aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Don't know what he was using, but I just fought a HR who killed my GWF in 2-3 seconds, every time. I couldn't even hit him. Unstoppable didn't help a bit.

My TR has missed with Shocking Execution more than once.

I love killing HRs at range, with my TR, but I guess that's about to end.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    kweassa wrote: »
    Why should the system compensate for your failure to get a hit in? Under that logic, then I'd ask for my TR an undodgeable Lashing Blade, please. My target CW/HR might dodge it... oh noes!

Shadow Strike can't be dodged, and if it missed, there's no cooldown, you just get closer and cast again. Maybe that's why most people stopped using Lashing Blade, it's so 2013.