test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

PvP tactics against GWF?

arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Wilds
Hey everyone!
Long time NWO player, but relatively new to PvP.

Wanted to know what tactics you use against GWF. I've found that if a GWF gets close to me I'm hosed. I can semi CC a GWF with two of my encounters, but it's only temporary and wears off far too soon.

Any ideas?
Post edited by arinathos on

Comments

• Options
    jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Going up against a GWF is by far the toughest for any class. Most of the time you can only stalemate one. There are a few tactics, this depends whether you're trying to drag him off the node, or staying on the node so it won't be ticking points the other way.

I find that going all offensive skills is the best against them. When they're not in unstoppable, you go melee Boar Charge to knock them down, you have time to switch to range to apply a Binding or Constricting Arrow, switch back to melee and Fox Shift for max dps. Dodge back and range him down once he pops unstoppable.

The rest is all about your timing with your dodges, dodging out of their Front line surge will be difficult. Mix up your dodges with every directions. Once they have you prone, just pray they don't crit and finish you off in 1 or 2 rotations.
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    arinathosarinathos Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Dumb question... how can you tell a GWF has gone 'unstoppable'?
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    when his char grows bigger in size (trying to phase this without sounding dirty)

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • Options
    elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sorry Jao but you just did exactly that by saying you weren't lol

I'm lucky if I stalemate a GWF. Usually I just tag team them with another team member and hope one of us can land a killing blow. If I try to 1v1 against them I usually end up eating dirt. My strategy is to Fox, MR in, pop DS, hit him with Fox Shift, Hindering before he can Unstoppable, then ME out and try to get him with Aimed before he can get in my face. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. All depends if I can get enough damage on him before he goes hulk on me.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You can also tell if they go into unstoppable when you see they have that temp hp as well as changing size.

Also Fox Cunning only dodges the damage, you can still get prone, same as your Fox Shift, which really sucks. So don't try to face tank a GWF.

• Options
    edited February 2014
    Yeah but it doesn't hurt to have it active. Who knows, maybe you'll get lucky and he'll use a skill that doesn't prone ... oh wait, that's all they have now! And yes, face-tanking a GWF is a very bad idea and tends to lead to very bad results. That's why I try to lock him down while I'm in there and then get the **** out of dodge before he can respond.
  • Options
    veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    The best pvp tactic is to not queue for pvp because it is a joke in this game. If you accidentally enter pvp, and see a sentinel gwf, what you do is run away.
  • Options
    fathergodfreyfathergodfrey Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Binding, Constricting, Hindering. Keep rotating between these. Throw in aimed shots while you're at it.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    veramis1 wrote: »
    The best pvp tactic is to not queue for pvp because it is a joke in this game. If you accidentally enter pvp, and see a sentinel gwf, what you do is run away.

*yawn* Fail troll is still fail

shoo_pirates_caribbean.gif
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe I've been fighting some other gwfs.

Constrict plus disruptive, mr in, fox, aimed strike for the poison if he's constricted, me out, stealth, run a bit, aimed shot.

Rinse repeat.

Only works in open spaces, and 1 on 1, otherwise you're dead.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    utuwerutuwer Member Posts: 393 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As a combat HR, a fight against a gwf is divided into 3 phases:
    - Engaging: When gwf is not in unstoppable mode, start with cc (daze/stun then prone), and dump as mush dps as possible.

- Avoiding: After the 1st phase, most gwf will pop unstoppable. Thus, we have to kite and refrain from attacking gwf. Why? When unstoppable is on, gwf will get many damage resistance benefits, such as 50% dmg resistance, 33% more deflect chance, temporary hp, and more bases on their feats. Therefore, any attack on them is nearly meaningless and just feeds their determination meter, which let them reuse unstoppable sooner. Basically, just run around like an annoying fly.

- Engaging/Finishing: If you did not attack gwf at all in the 2nd phase, unstoppable will end in about 4-5 seconds. Now it is the chance to finish them. Start with cc, and dump as much dps as possible. Most gwf will wither really quickly without unstoppable. And even if they do not die, most likely they will give up and sprint away.

As a 14k gs HR, I can fight on par against 15K gs gwf in 1:1 situations. Of course, there are exceptions like troll builds (full defensive sentinel GWF), or those gwf with 17k+ gs with p. vorpal and p. blood-theft.
    You say 4v5 is impossible? Cool story bro.
  • Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thats why the aimed strike, the bleed tick helps drain their hp while they're unstoppablerizing.

And yeah, being 14.5k gs does help too. :)
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    vvv459vvv459 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    If the GWF is good and well geared you will not have a DPS to kill him alone no matter what you do.
    But as a meele HR you can stalemate him in such a way that he can't do anything either.

Do not attack him rapidly that will only give him unstoppable, instead I just root and prone him with boar charge slotted just for the occasion (as I realize I will be alone with him). With my own good regen and very high DR thanks to the passive the only way to kill me is to get really lucky with very good timing.
  • Options
    veramis1veramis1 Banned Users Posts: 191 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    You guys wrongly believe a GWF can build determination while unstoppable is active. A lot of bad advice too. Let this "troll" who understands game mechanics much better than you guys give some advice. Running around like a little girl, like a HR does in pvp, is not pvping, it is running around like a little girl. If you want to win in this game's comedic pvp, you roll a sentinel gwf, get in a team with 4 other sentinel gwfs, lock target, press forward, auto-attack, and occasional hit tab and frontline surge.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    veramis1 wrote: »
    You guys wrongly believe a GWF can build determination while unstoppable is active. A lot of bad advice too. Let this "troll" who understands game mechanics much better than you guys give some advice. Running around like a little girl, like a HR does in pvp, is not pvping, it is running around like a little girl. If you want to win in this game's comedic pvp, you roll a sentinel gwf, get in a team with 4 other sentinel gwfs, lock target, press forward, auto-attack, and occasional hit tab and frontline surge.

Righto, but there are others who enjoy playing other classes, and want to have a more enjoyable time in PvP. We all know geared senti GWFs have the biggest advantage in PvP, OP was trying to figure out how we can counter that a little better.

While a GWF is in unstoppable, he's immune to CCs, so save those skills when his unstoppable is over, that should let you survive for longer by knocking him down with Boar Charge, then root him down to create distance.

Going up against a high geared GWF with a low geared HR is impossible, as most likely you're going to be too squishy, so once he has you prone, which is very easy to do, he can finish you off with 1 or 2 rotations. So the biggest tip is to get your defense, hp, and regen up to stand a chance against not just a GWF, but any other class as well.

• Options
    goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1vs1 GWF /skilled Sentinel/ ? No, no, no.. not in this patch.

@veramis1
    ahahahahaahahaha
  • Options
    shadow5930shadow5930 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 502 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Some decent advise here. As someone mentioned, determination doesn't build when unstoppable is active. However, they do hit harder and take less damage. Ultimately, damage is damage. So when they aren't red, rush em, knock em down, beat on em. When they stand up, they'll probably unstoppable, so rush out, reset your buffs, shoot em. Do everything you can to keep away. As soon as unstoppable ends, get in their face again. If you play the skirmish class as a skirmisher, you can harry and eventually take down a GWF. You won't necessarily be able to hold a point, but if the idea is to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> em off so they chase you, it's quite possible.
  • Options
    goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Man all we know that GWF is OP at moment if you have some lucky moments with killing on GWF OK. I have few lucky moments too when they are on my GS and I dodge his KD. Yes I can put tons of DMG for a few sec and I really do not care if GWF is in unstoppable or not he will die. But again this is not case if GWF is properly build and played you can't won him.
    Yestarday me and one guildie TR 15k kill few times one very good and builded GWF each time for around 5-7 sec he pop up unstoppable 1 or max 2 times and I am not sure about second but that was all. But again this is not a case, 2vs1 is bad always coz we leave our team 3vs4 for other 2 Cap stone - do you understand this ? If you cannot kill GWF for a some sec as you can do with all other classes then something is really wrong. And the worst in this situation is that the same GWF can have very good DPS and he is killing machine.
  • Options
    kaylos29kaylos29 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    shadow5930 wrote: »
    Some decent advise here. As someone mentioned, determination doesn't build when unstoppable is active. However, they do hit harder and take less damage. Ultimately, damage is damage. So when they aren't red, rush em, knock em down, beat on em. When they stand up, they'll probably unstoppable, so rush out, reset your buffs, shoot em. Do everything you can to keep away. As soon as unstoppable ends, get in their face again. If you play the skirmish class as a skirmisher, you can harry and eventually take down a GWF. You won't necessarily be able to hold a point, but if the idea is to <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> em off so they chase you, it's quite possible.

This is the basic strategy I use. You won't kill a properly built GWF 1v1 this way. I have not met a HR yet that concerns me 1v1 on my GWF, no matter the build. Vice versa, GWFs are a scurge to me on my HR.

However, this strategy gets their attention in a hurry. 1v1, I use it to lure GWFs off poitn so my team can take them or prevent them from capping. If he refuses to leave point, I start opening up with aim shots. I haven't met a GWF yet that will sit there and let you pump aim shots in them, inlcuiding me when I play my GWF.

I have had GWFs chase me back and forth across the map trying to kill me using this strategy, basically neutralizing their contribution to the game. 1v1, The vast majority of the time of the time unless they get really lucky, they can't kill me. Smart GWFs will threaten you to keep you from pumping aim shots into to get you to start kiting, and then return to the point. They can play that game with you until they are sure the point is secure. If you have enough defensive stats and are good at dodging (ie not a lgass cannon), you can play up close with them more than most HRs and stretch out the contesting of the point until either you get help or they get help. 1v1 though, good GWFs will win by taking and holding a point.

The real value HRs bring against GWFs is helping burst them down withg prones in 2v2, 3v3, 4v4 etc, etc. Corrdinating burst and prones to blow them up in the right situation. Also roots can be used to protect squishier teammates likes CWs, TRs, and I suppose glass cannon HRs.

edit: Believe it or not, GWFs do not hit harder while in unstoppable. Their at wills hit for less damage, but faster so that it even outs DPS wise. Only Destroyer builds gain 10% more damage on encounters only while in unstoppable.
    Mindflayer - Exodus
    Daria - Dwarf Sentinel GWF (mistaken for Halfling a lot)
    Karia (aka "The Pug") - Human Combat HR
    Kayd - Human Conqueror GF - Retired
  • Options
    shiralacshiralac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I like to fight a GWf when melee ally is attacking them.

For one, they have the attention of the GWF, and even if the GWF pops unstoppable, depedning on your HR build, you can still do high damage to GWFs from a distance.

I enjoy seeign GWFs get nervous when they pop Unstoppable, and suddenly loose their temp HPs due to my Aim Shots. Just be prapared to move, becuase once they realize your are doing such damage towards them, you will become the main threat and they will pass almost all others to get to you first. Probably exception would be a DPS DC that does nothign but burst damage.

Aim Shot is a burst damage, and that's what kills GWFs best, and doesn't feed their Determination bar (what gives them Unstoppable) as much as other at-wills do.

Of course this will change with new PvP changes as burst damage will be lowered by Tenacity, which is stupid. All it's doing is adding duct tape to a problem, when all that was needed was proper class balancing.
    There is no such thing as Pleather Armor.