test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some Quick Tips for surviving in PvP with an AC Devoted Cleric

lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Temple
I can't really call this a guide, but I just felt like showing some pvp cleric gameplay.
PLAYSTYLE
1)Tanking
Tanking involves not just a solid build with ~20% deflect/40% DR but also dodge timing. Save your dodges for critical hits since you outheal minor things (impact shots, chillstrike, and others depending on your tankiness). You can kite some of the main players in a game to help your team gain an advantage.
Here's a clip of me tanking 2 dps and waiting for my teammates to arrive.

2)Exaltation
Save the cooldown when you truly need it. This is most often during/after icy rays (the one that places a mark over your head), the one skill you cannot dodge of a cw's (other than freezing). When they have you stuck they will ice knife, guaranteeing it lands, so you need to nullify the damage. You can also use this during the burst damage of other classes such as hammer of fate, lashing, IBS, frontline, fox cunning... etc!
Here's a clip of me avoiding an ice knife with a magical bubble

3)Kiting
If you find that you get overwhelmed, living and kiting can help the team even if you are not contesting.
Here's an example where I take too much damage and run off waiting for teammates to save me.

SKILLS 2/24 update!

~Feats~
I always take divine fortune for divinity gain and anointed armor for inherent tankiness... the enemy team tends to shower you with hatred for healing your team:)

~Encounters~

For team healing
-Sunburst-knock off enemy team members if they are focusing a teammate; you can also interrupt shocking execution, ice knife, and knock away cw's shards
-Healing Word-you can heal multiple players due to multiple charges and build lots of divinity
-Astral shield- extra defense and an area heal is extremely strong and since it is just one simple push of a button you can cast it and not worry about healing as much (esp when cc'd)

For tanking 1v1s
a) vs CW
I always take exaltation, healing word and sunburst. Cw's have a lot of cc and it's hard to build divinity so strategies are avoiding as much burst damage as possible and building divinity.
Sunburst-knocks shard away, builds divinity, short cd
Exaltation-blocks critical hits (ice knife, icy rays)
Healing word-passively heals you while cc'd

b)vs TR
You can take different skills for this depending on TR. As long as you have the divine advantage feat, you will most likely be able to survive unless the TR shocking executions you:(
-exaltation-for Tr's with lashing or a duelist's flurry you cannot dodge
DoTs-> deplete stealth faster unless they slot tenacious concealment
-break the spirit-reduces the damage they can put out
-forgemaster's flame (FF)-heals you when they are near you, this also helps you determine where the TR is
-the generic build also works against most tr's (sunburst/exaltation, healing word, astral shield) because TRs have no cc which is a DC's biggest weakness so you should be able to survive for a long time vs TRs
[/COLOR]

c)vs GWF
this match up hurts, however they are melee which you can use to your advantage
-FF, for the healing when they are near which is all the time since they are melee, also righteousness does not apply
-sunburst, you can knock them away before they hit you and save yourself when you are out of dodges
-exaltation, gwf's have lots of prones and lots of burst dmg. If you are proned and find yourself low, casting a bubble can save you before he starts the next chain of prones

Will update other classes later!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nice. I hope they moderators can open a sub-forum for pvp clerics then we can share our infos abt pvp.
    To all new pvp clerics, videos only show some of our playstyle and how we do in some specific situations. There are no 2 situations that are exactly same so you got to change everytime you play, means you cant copy us 100% except build and skill set. The only way to level our skills is by playing and adapting some good playstyle, and gain tons of feedbacks and experience from playing pvp daily, meeting different opponent and getting yourselves stomped. After pvping for months then its time to stomp back those who stomped you. This is pvp, welcome~
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Thank you very much for sharing this. After running for months as DO, I am now changing to AC for PvP and I am loving it. Still got to learn the timing of Exaltation, but it seems amazing.

Great tips.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
    edited February 2014
    I kinda like the "running away and kite" idea, thats the way i do when i am 8k gs with pvp T1 set.
    Is there just us 3 who pvp? where are those pvp clerics? Or 99.9% of DC doesn't pvp?
  • spani4rdspani4rd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 297 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I PVP enough to do the daily quest haha, as a DO. It's not that bad if my team isn't <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>
  • hidahayabusahidahayabusa Member Posts: 634 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    I kinda like the "running away and kite" idea, thats the way i do when i am 8k gs with pvp T1 set.
    Is there just us 3 who pvp? where are those pvp clerics? Or 99.9% of DC doesn't pvp?

From what I've seen lately, there must be some people running DC in PvP games but we must really be in the 5-10% of the DC population. Can't blame them. Most people in this game confuse PvP skills with daddy's bought P.Vorpal.
    * Notorious Dwarven Bear Cavalry Leader *
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I just started to PVP, its fun, if again your team doesnt die once then drop (thats like 80% of the time) .. love running into premades as well =P.. all dps mixes with cw/tr and gwfs mostly. For a casual pvp person as myself I would say DC isnt in a great place , you get targeted alot becuase of zero cc immunity or control issues, your one trap doesnt work on GWFs, the one class you should be running away from as quickly as possible.

During most pugs I may mention something before the start of, Please just stick together.. the moment the gate opens no one does =P. If im with one other damage dealer and as long as Im not insta targted by teams, I will do alright .. I only have 11.7k gear score and no where near perfect, I also dont want to just stick to PVP or I would see the advantage of switching my feats and paths, but I pug alot and I prefer to do so on the DO path with the foresight feeted.

(the only class I can reasonable take out easily is the HR, just becuase I can out heal the damage , but they dont seem to have any CC that really works well against DC's. OF course, if a GWF is pounding me into the ground at the same time doesnt really matter)

Ive ramped up my pvp time lately, to get my artifact before the upcoming changes, I probably wont PVP at all then unless they make changes , but the one ability I have (laying down Hallowed Ground, Sealing peeps and LOLs and FF'ing the GWFs ) will basically be taking away from me.. what will a DC be when healing is no longer viable route in PVP world? The other game I played the last 2-3 years, the Main healer in the game was also the most OP in PVP world, as you could take on triple or more times your #s of creeps by bouncing around and healing yourself and just slamming your AOE skills over and over. Its wierd to roll a healer and be so dumbed down.

I would say if you really just want to roll in pvp roll a GWF, then TR , then CW.. all other classes bring less to the table, a group of GWFs would pretty much roll anything.

I cannot see why Righteousness is needed any longer in PVP, even at full healing of yourself, you are Insta Targerted and CC'd down to nothing. At least remove it..

Question if the upcoming changes proposed remain the same, will the healing depression stack with your righteousness debuff causing you to basically have zero percent incoming healing? ...
    edited February 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    Question if the upcoming changes proposed remain the same, will the healing depression stack with your righteousness debuff causing you to basically have zero percent incoming healing? ...

Yes, they stack, and stack with shadowtouched too.
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Sticking with regen blues it is, then. :D

...Though I gather regen is getting nerfed too?
    edited February 2014
    morsitans wrote: »
    Sticking with regen blues it is, then. :D

...Though I gather regen is getting nerfed too?

Indeed it is
    edited February 2014
    How can they defend that at all? In terms of DC that is.

Again, as other find it boring to do any pve, I find it boring to do all PVP, your basically doing the same thing either way, I like to do some of both, this game above all others Ive ever played make it so you cant just switch back and forth all the time. I just want to run in high prophet , with a mixed bag of feats to heal and pvp, Cryptic are dorks appears, who cant figure out they are totally nerfing a class that doesnt even have alot to off to start with, in terms of PVP, being buff bots do not translate well in pvp vs just having MOAR DEEEPEEESSS please. (BTW some of you may be old enough to remember playing everquest and rangers talking about DPS, your like "WHAT is that?".. it all stemmed from a formula to break down your damage, and the reason why rangers were going with cheap two handed daggers because thier cooldown time was so ridicoulous, when added to the formula you could caclute the damage output (to a degree) ... of course all you young whipper snappers have stuff like ACT now to get these for you.

Damage / (Activation Time + Recharge) = Damage per Second

Silverkelt
    edited February 2014
    0.1% of 10000 Devoted Cleric in game has insane survivability, so they give the great HD nerf along with Righteousness to other 99.9% DC too. However, in preview i hide on top of pillar and cast HW, Ex and AS, it seems like my heals is ok and even i was hitted by HD debuff and cc eff from hr and cw, i can cleanse those debuff away and heal like normal, but the allies at mid node must be tanky enough and keep enemies busy or else i will die.
  • vikingbradvikingbrad Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've started doing PvP as a 13K DO DC.

Took awhile to get the hang of it but slowly doing better. Doing mainly to get Glory for Artifact.

I've got High Prophet gear and usually have Sunburst, Chains & AShield as encounters.

I rarely kill anyone but stay close to a melee like GWF. Concentrate on capturing points and assisting holding points.

Am mainly doing PUGs as don't have a guild of regular players but still manage to finish with respectable scores. Even without killing will be at top of table due to point capture & assists.
    Ricky Gervatheist Lvl 60 DC on Dragon Server
    Looking for a guild for PvE Dungeons to suit AEST evenings
  • lazureelazuree Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I use MH:) you don't really need specific gear if you use annointed armor which is nice.
    edited February 2014
    But isnt the premise that regardless of the Paragon path you choose, you are simply not going to be useful as a Node holder any more?

With healing depression, we can still heal others, but yourself its virtual impossible?

I just dont get it.. Someone explain it to me again.

BTW did another 5-6 matches this morning, Im starting to hate HR's, I do not typically take HW into PVP matches, I use FF, Ashield, Aseal and SB and HG, sometimes I switch SB for Chains.. but I really dont like to just sit around and heal HRs, the setup I use is great
    for groups with TRs and GWFs , as I can pretty much keep them up around me forever.

I guess I should bite the bullet and slot HW if I see them on the teams, they just refuse to get close, or even run through a shiny blue circle on the ground.
    edited February 2014
    silverkelt wrote: »
    But isnt the premise that regardless of the Paragon path you choose, you are simply not going to be useful as a Node holder any more?

With healing depression, we can still heal others, but yourself its virtual impossible?

I just dont get it.. Someone explain it to me again.

BTW did another 5-6 matches this morning, Im starting to hate HR's, I do not typically take HW into PVP matches, I use FF, Ashield, Aseal and SB and HG, sometimes I switch SB for Chains.. but I really dont like to just sit around and heal HRs, the setup I use is great
    for groups with TRs and GWFs , as I can pretty much keep them up around me forever.

I guess I should bite the bullet and slot HW if I see them on the teams, they just refuse to get close, or even run through a shiny blue circle on the ground.

You could just let them die...xD. Ranged classes are always terrible about fighting on nodes, in AS, etc. The majority of them at least.
    I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to use HW for PVP, it's the best healing spell you have, it's ranged, you get 3 counters on it so you can spam repeatedly and then you can cast it from divine mode even when it's on CD, oh yeah, and it procs just about everything possible.
    edited February 2014
    I go back and forth with it, frankly with the setup I used this morning I felt like I was contributing more as a node holder, when I slot HW, I feel like just going up to a pillar instead.. Ive done that a bunch as well. What procs off HW that doesnt proc everything else I was using? Nothing as far as I remember. The only difference is I lose a Single target heal for a bunch of AOE ones. I love FF , especially when other teams have GFs or GWFs, blast them, lay down a seal and sheild, pop HG and time a SB if they came at me. I can do ok Kiting this way as well , when I remove HW I feel like im doing less overall healing around the node, but of course I slot it if its mostly range on the other team anyways or they have range plus a TR, as FF doesnt really work well with them. I guess i slot differently already based on the other team alot, just not on my own. (Ive also said blast it a few times, slotted aseal and shield, and added chains, daunting light and hammer of fate or flame strike and went dps mode, just for something different, especially if I see another cleric on my team.. )

But hey.. never said I was a PVP pro!

Im still learning.
    edited February 2014
    Updated with situational skill sets!
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    I wonder if any clerics have tried all out attack spells in pvp fighting along side the other players with a few heals like exalt and GoF?

Cant say I like pvp either either though GWF and TR is basically what it was made for really now some hr.
  • cerebralpyrecerebralpyre Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for this Sepia!

Ive been looking all over for Clerics giving some positive words about the future of our class, I love my DC, this gives me a bit mroe hope...now if I could just find a guild :(
    Cerebralpyre 13.2k SW
    Pheryllt - 13.8k HR
    Ginko - 10.3k DC

Puzzl Bochs - lvl38 CW
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for this Sepia!

Ive been looking all over for Clerics giving some positive words about the future of our class, I love my DC, this gives me a bit mroe hope...now if I could just find a guild :(

Join me in seraphim. We are doing a great revamp and a step nearer to top pvp guild (imagine i was demoted twice because of low gs :( )
  • morsitansmorsitans Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,284 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    jazzfong wrote: »
    (imagine i was demoted twice because of low gs :( )

Seriously?? That does not sound like a fun guild.

"PLZ SHOW R10s TO THE DOORMAN OR GTFO"

O_o
    edited February 2014
    yea :( I'm looking for friendly and active and do things a guild does, not gear gateing members.
    Cerebralpyre 13.2k SW
    Pheryllt - 13.8k HR
    Ginko - 10.3k DC

Puzzl Bochs - lvl38 CW
    edited February 2014
    I wonder if any clerics have tried all out attack spells in pvp fighting along side the other players with a few heals like exalt and GoF?

Cant say I like pvp either either though GWF and TR is basically what it was made for really now some hr.

I play on sephine with daunting light and chains and either forgemaster's/healing word. It's a bit hard unless you are with people you know who can protect you b/c we are basically cw's without the cc, and one less dodge:(
    I would love dps cleric if they gave us another dodge!
    edited February 2014
    yea :( I'm looking for friendly and active and do things a guild does, not gear gateing members.

We do all stuff u mentioned, but they just recently sort out rosters with gs for easier matchmaking, nothing like gear score restriction, we welcomed any pvper from 6k gs above!!
    edited February 2014
    Well thats cool then! My HR is 10.6, Im still building my Cleric up. Im on usually after werks and stuffs Central time 6ish and on weekends, who can I contact?
    Cerebralpyre 13.2k SW
    Pheryllt - 13.8k HR
    Ginko - 10.3k DC

Puzzl Bochs - lvl38 CW