test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Armor penetration cap

driiizztdriiizzt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
edited May 2014 in PvE Discussion
Hi!

I'am newbie in this game, but i already reached soft cap at my stats, so now i have a question. From some part of players I heard that armor penetration at PvE is 24% and some more % at Valindra, but from other guys i heard that they raised cap at PvE to 30% (mob's won;t have more than 30% armor), so who have right? How mutch armor pene i should reach for PvE as a TR? 24% or 30%?
Post edited by driiizzt on

Comments

• Options
    slushpsychoslushpsycho Member Posts: 657 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Honestly doesn't matter.

Aim for 20% at least everything else can be pursued later.

A better build or having more knowledge about how to play your class in PVE would easily out done the dmg you get from that Armor pen.
  • Options
    susp3ktsusp3kt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There is a soft cap in PVE at 24.1%.....but that does not apply to PVP. So your builds may vary or plan accordingly.
  • Options
    todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Honestly doesn't matter.

Aim for 20% at least everything else can be pursued later.

A better build or having more knowledge about how to play your class in PVE would easily out done the dmg you get from that Armor pen.

This. Maximizing DPS is a simple task and is pretty much easy math, but knowing your class and building it towards a solid idea is paramount compared to how much ArP you have.

But to answer your question, 24% is the soft cap. You can go as high as 25% for assurance and PVP, but any higher than 25% is practically within the DR range and is impractical as you'll find very little uses for 25% and above ArP outside of PVP. You can boost your DPS by stacking Power and a decent amount of crit before it goes to severe DR of 2345 (soft DR is 1300). Any higher than 2345 Crit isn't a smart investment in stats unless you are using a class that has very little ways of generating crit, and you want crit for your big numbers. But you are a TR. We have more than enough crit most of the times.

As a TR, the safest way to boost DPS after reaching Diminishing Returns from ArP and Crit is Power as it has no diminishing returns.
  • Options
    momotheboredmomothebored Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2014
    As a TR, the safest way to boost DPS after reaching Diminishing Returns from ArP and Crit is Power as it has no diminishing returns.

Are you very sure about this?
    I thought someone tested this a few patches back and posted the chart for DR as well, unless it's been modified since.
  • Options
    eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Are you very sure about this?
    I thought someone tested this a few patches back and posted the chart for DR as well, unless it's been modified since.

Power never had DR to begin with, never ever...
    its also the go to stat for cw and gwf to maximize dps further(after getting soft caps of course)
  • Options
    momotheboredmomothebored Member Posts: 46
    edited February 2014
    no power cap even in pvp? :confused:

eton3000 wrote: »
    Power never had DR to begin with, never ever...
    its also the go to stat for cw and gwf to maximize dps further(after getting soft caps of course)
  • Options
    zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I have a question about how the resistance ignored stat from ability scores and armor penetration interact. I've been told it's armor penetration basically. I rearranged my stats recently thinking it's additive, but after a few dungeon runs and heroic encounters I'm not sure.

What I'd like to know is it additive with ap score or multiplicative?

Basically, my STR gives me 8% resistance ignored (with bonfire buff) and my Armor Penetration stat puts my resistance ignored ~15%.

Is my final resistance ignored stat 8% + 15% which would be ~23% or is it something like my total ap from gear/buffs*1.08 which would be then already included in ~15% resistance ignored stat on my character sheet?
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
  • Options
    zomdzomd Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    qutsemnie wrote: »

Thanks! Though at the end of thread , there seems to be some ambiguity about what's taking place now if I'm reading it correctly. I wish the character sheets were clearer.
  • Options
    lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Egads, what a necro. *kills it with fire*
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.