test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Using Your CTRL Key To Aim

spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
edited March 2014 in The Wilds
So I wanted to drop in and explain something I've been trying over past several days to improve my skill with the HR class. I, like many others, am having issues with using Rain of Arrows and single-targeting in mass add spawns. It seems to miss or not apply it's damage a frighteningly large percentage of the time, even when perfectly centered or off-centered on an enemy. I chalk this up to me having horrible aim and latency, but I've found a way to somewhat mitigate this.

Essentially, it's using the CTRL key to lock your targets. It's a clunky, horrible user interface option that was clearly designed by Cryptic while drunk but I've found a way to make it not suck completely.

There's a program out there that most of you are probably aware of called X-Mouse Controller. It's a program that allows you to rebind and refunction mouse keys. Since I use a 5 button mouse, I decided to bind CTRL to a mouse key through the X-Mouse interface and I made it a sticky key. Essentially, this allows me to one-click lock a target so that I'm not forced to continually hold the button to maintain a lock.

I also set my game to cast ground AoE's when I let go of the key instead of on a second click.

Now, after doing those two things, I can simply toggle my target lock on and click Rain of Arrows. It hits dead center on the target every time, and I haven't had any dead-center 'misses' since I started doing this.

Instructions:

In Neverwinter Game Client
What I had to do to make this work is to bind a secondary key for Lock Target within Neverwinter. I choose NUM5 for the numberpad as an easy option as I never use it for anything else.

Download The Program
http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

Inside X-Mouse

1) Open the interface, and point X-Mouse to the game executable (or launch the game and select gameclient.exe with the Neverwinter logo.)

2) Select the Mouse button you want to rebind in-game, in my case Mouse 4, and select Simulated Keys.

3) It has a list at the bottom of the Simulated Key window what the commands will do, but in this instance I simply use {NUM5} in the command line. There is a drop down menu just below that, select option 8 Sticky (held down until button is pressed again).

4) Hit 'Apply'.

Now, while you are in game you can hit your mouse button of choice to autolock a target without holding down several keys. If you leave CTRL as your primary key for locking targets, and use NUM5 as the secondary binding, you will be able to hit CTRL to quickly unlock a target mid-combat if needed.

The only downside to doing this is that if you are looking at a friendly target when your hostile target dies, it will lock them. A quick press of CTRL will disable the autolock function, and you can either reaquire a new target or simply spam away without target lock.

The reason I'm putting this out there is because dungeons like ToS can be very difficult for a ranged HR to target select in. Especially at long range. This is simply a tool you can use to make the target lock feature of Neverwinter more useful while freeing up those fingers for fancy footwork.

Hope this helps.
MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
Post edited by spacejew on

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    A good tip but be careful, you're getting close to loosely defined macroing. Long as you stick with just keybinds you should be okay, but don't start using scripts or multi-press macros.

Another tip is most gaming mice and keyboards (and some mid-range as well) come with additional keybinds programs that allow you to change certain key functions. Logitech and Microsoft both use programs like these for all but their most basic products, and they can be found by simply visiting the appropriate manufacturer's website. This can save you from downloading potentially hazardous software. Not saying your program is dangerous mind you, but some people are sticklers for that kind of stuff.
  • query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another shortcut, RS 'paints' a target. So if you are hitting something with it and double-click the encounter you want it automatically lands on that target. Also very good for crippling/ rooting dodgy folks in PVP...
  • jaotutjaotut Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 576 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can also /bind <key> ++HardTargetLock
    I replaced my left control with that, so I can just toggle on and off a target for those boss fights
    Merlin - CW Merlyn - HR Psylocke - TR Black Widow - GWF

Have the gear and skills, but lack the friends to play with? Come and apply for Essence of Aggression. We have been here and strong since beta. (Immature, rude, and arrogant people will not be accepted)
  • nowhere64nowhere64 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2014
    spacejew wrote: »
    So I wanted to drop in and explain something I've been trying over past several days to improve my skill with the HR class. I, like many others, am having issues with using Rain of Arrows and single-targeting in mass add spawns. It seems to miss or not apply it's damage a frighteningly large percentage of the time, even when perfectly centered or off-centered on an enemy. I chalk this up to me having horrible aim and latency, but I've found a way to somewhat mitigate this.

Essentially, it's using the CTRL key to lock your targets. It's a clunky, horrible user interface option that was clearly designed by Cryptic while drunk but I've found a way to make it not suck completely.

There's a program out there that most of you are probably aware of called X-Mouse Controller. It's a program that allows you to rebind and refunction mouse keys. Since I use a 5 button mouse, I decided to bind CTRL to a mouse key through the X-Mouse interface and I made it a sticky key. Essentially, this allows me to one-click lock a target so that I'm not forced to continually hold the button to maintain a lock.

I also set my game to cast ground AoE's when I let go of the key instead of on a second click.

Now, after doing those two things, I can simply toggle my target lock on and click Rain of Arrows. It hits dead center on the target every time, and I haven't had any dead-center 'misses' since I started doing this.

Instructions:

In Neverwinter Game Client
    What I had to do to make this work is to bind a secondary key for Lock Target within Neverwinter. I choose NUM5 for the numberpad as an easy option as I never use it for anything else.

Download The Program
    http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

Inside X-Mouse

1) Open the interface, and point X-Mouse to the game executable (or launch the game and select gameclient.exe with the Neverwinter logo.)

2) Select the Mouse button you want to rebind in-game, in my case Mouse 4, and select Simulated Keys.

3) It has a list at the bottom of the Simulated Key window what the commands will do, but in this instance I simply use {NUM5} in the command line. There is a drop down menu just below that, select option 8 Sticky (held down until button is pressed again).

4) Hit 'Apply'.

Now, while you are in game you can hit your mouse button of choice to autolock a target without holding down several keys. If you leave CTRL as your primary key for locking targets, and use NUM5 as the secondary binding, you will be able to hit CTRL to quickly unlock a target mid-combat if needed.

The only downside to doing this is that if you are looking at a friendly target when your hostile target dies, it will lock them. A quick press of CTRL will disable the autolock function, and you can either reaquire a new target or simply spam away without target lock.

The reason I'm putting this out there is because dungeons like ToS can be very difficult for a ranged HR to target select in. Especially at long range. This is simply a tool you can use to make the target lock feature of Neverwinter more useful while freeing up those fingers for fancy footwork.

Hope this helps.

Am not in game, but can't you just rebind the target lock key from right control to "t" or whatever is more convenient. I too have trouble getting roa to hit distant targets reliably, but I haven't yet tried this.
  • spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    elminster wrote: »
    A good tip but be careful, you're getting close to loosely defined macroing. Long as you stick with just keybinds you should be okay, but don't start using scripts or multi-press macros.

Another tip is most gaming mice and keyboards (and some mid-range as well) come with additional keybinds programs that allow you to change certain key functions. Logitech and Microsoft both use programs like these for all but their most basic products, and they can be found by simply visiting the appropriate manufacturer's website. This can save you from downloading potentially hazardous software. Not saying your program is dangerous mind you, but some people are sticklers for that kind of stuff.

There are, like, four keys in the game. It is not worth even attempting to macro, and I can't imagine multikey macroing being at all useful in this game.

I appreciate the watchfulness though, I didn't think about that before posting this but frankly it seems almost necessary to play an HR in instances such as ToS.

And yeah, if you have a logitech or another name brand you can simply use their bundled software to do the same thing. If your keyboard supports it you can probably just change CTRL to a toggle there instead of using the mouse.

As for X-Mouse being hazardous? I've used it for...at least 5 years. If it's hazardous it hasn't pinged on any of my antivirus/malware protection in the years I've used it.
    Am not in game, but can't you just rebind the target lock key from right control to "t" or whatever is more convenient. I too have trouble getting roa to hit distant targets reliably, but I haven't yet tried this.

You can, but it will not change CTRL into anything other than a button you must hold down to keep your lock. My instructions will change targeting to a toggle that allows you to keep the Boss in your sights constantly while freeing your fingers to use other keys. I.E. you can one-click lock the target.

It *can* be disorienting at times, I won't lie. I find that in heavy add fights it really does help keep the boss as your primary target though. It also makes kiting around the boss easier, if more disorienting at first.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
    edited February 2014
    jaotut wrote: »
    You can also /bind <key> ++HardTargetLock
    I replaced my left control with that, so I can just toggle on and off a target for those boss fights

This I did not know, I will need to try that out. It would be far easier than downloading and setting up X-Mouse, although I do wonder if you can use mouse keys for that particular binding and if so what those mouse keys would be named in their bind string?

After all, you must know something's true name to change it! ^_^
  • qthephysicistqthephysicist Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think these might be the mouse button names if you use a keybind file:

Lbutton (tested and works)
    Rbutton (tested and works)
    Button4
    Middleclick
    Mousechord (both left and right buttons held down)
    Leftdoubleclick (not sure of this, never imagined a use for it)
    Wheelplus (pretty sure of this, but not 100%)
    Wheelminus (pretty sure of this, but not 100%)
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Thank you for this info I will try it when I can. I wonder why CTRL have this behavior in town but never try it in battle :D
    edited February 2014
    I've tried /bind lctrl ++HardTargetLock and I think it's far easier than using the X-Mouse program I was describing. Honestly, it's what I wanted all along anyway.
  • nowhere64nowhere64 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 37
    edited February 2014
    I've tried /bind lctrl ++HardTargetLock and I think it's far easier than using the X-Mouse program I was describing. Honestly, it's what I wanted all along anyway.

I just made my target lock "t" and my Roa key r. It made an immediate and big difference.
  • goldheartgoldheart Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I just use Ctrl and this is very nice for RoA.
  • godlysoul2godlysoul2 Member Posts: 661 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    It was chill till the word "download" came up lol. Either way aiming in this game is easy enough, you should really only benefit from using ctrl in very specific cases in which even though it may be slightly strange, it is still not a problem.
  • vvv459vvv459 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited March 2014
    hardtargetlock is something CWs hate a lot :)