test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Most overplayed class?

cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Hi,
Curious what everyone thinks the most overplayed/popular class is these days...
List what you think the class popularity is in order
Post edited by cesmode8 on

Comments

• hercules125hercules125 Member Posts: 427 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Based on what I see in DD pugs and skirmishes:

1. HR - very many ( to be expected since they're the newest )
    2. TR/GWF ( tie ) ( everyone loves to play dps )
    3. CW ( for whatever reason, you only occasionally get them in a DD group - they show up pretty frequently in skirmishes though )
    4. DC ( hard to find )
    5. GF ( even harder to find )
  • tricksterknighttricksterknight Member Posts: 74
    edited February 2014
    1. HR ... New Class, obviously
    2. GWF ... current OP class of the month. everyone flocks to an OP class
    3. TR.. my personal preference class, but it is a favorite among a good DPS/PVP crowd.
    4. CW sorta flocks in the same number as TR's these days. slightly less but not considerably
    5. DC. Underdog class, and this is going to get so much worse soon. noone will play a DC.
    6. GF. I think this class is an underestimated powerhouse because noone tries to build it or understand how it works
    so they dump it and say it is useless. GF is the above all underdog class of Neverwinter.
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    1. HR - New Class
    2. GWF - Finally viable, was always a popular class for new players. Since mod 2 lots of folks dusting off their old GWFs, lots of people staying with gwf at 60.
    3. CW - Not a popular class initially, but dominates pve so the most popular reroll class. Most end game PVE guild rosters are 80% CW, you won't see many in random queue groups other than skirmishes because they are all in premade teams.
    4. DC/TR - Healers are always more rare than dps. TR used to be the most popular. most TRs have quit or rerolled. still alot of people roll TR as first class, but then are forced to reroll at 60.
    5. GF - always the least popular class. It's one thing for the game design to be that tank's aren't needed, but it's another that they aren't wanted, at all.
  • mconosrepmconosrep Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you mean currently active (as opposed to total number) I would say:

1. HR - New class, lots of people came back to make one.

2. CW - Best PvE class by far, and pretty much all dungeons are best done with 3 CW teams.

3. GWF - Sentinel is very (too?) powerful in PvP and GWFs are the second best PvE class (albeit by a fair bit).

4. DC - Needed until you are really over-geared in PvE.

5. TR - Who needs a TR when CW (or a GWF) can kill a mass of mobs much faster?
    5. GF - Who needs a GF when CW can control all the mobs and the CW/GWF can kill mobs much faster?

If it wasn't for the fact that there seem to be more players in PvE than PvP then GWF and CW would be played equally, but as it is the clear edge that a CW has in PvE makes it common enough to outweigh its relative scarcity in PvP.
    edited February 2014
    Based on what I see in DD pugs and skirmishes:

3. CW ( for whatever reason, you only occasionally get them in a DD group - they show up pretty frequently in skirmishes though )
    4. DC ( hard to find )

The reason you relatively rarely find CW and DC in public dungeon queues is:

3. CW - Most end game PVE guild rosters are 80% CW, you won't see many in random queue groups other than skirmishes because they are all in premade teams.
    4. DC- Healers are always more rare than dps.

Not to mention that DCs will usually end up in guild runs only since it is relatively easy to get a place there.
  • jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    i know whats gonna be the most one :P if they would just come on and release it yet. SCOURGE WARLOCK ftw im so lloking forward to that release, and the pack thats coming with it. hopefully some awesome stuff in that one ^^
    edited February 2014
    jacktanto wrote: »
    i know whats gonna be the most one :P if they would just come on and release it yet. SCOURGE WARLOCK ftw im so lloking forward to that release, and the pack thats coming with it. hopefully some awesome stuff in that one ^^

I do agree with this, but for slightly convoluted reasons.

I think when the SW comes out then unless it has more DPS than the CW very few people will bother playing it, as it is unlikely to have the same control abilities. But right now CW DPS is the best in the game (aside, perhaps, from the most geared GWFs). So they will either produce an uber-DPS class that will render everything else (apart from maybe 1 CW for control purposes per party) useless, or reduce CW AOE DPS. Either way the SW goes to the top of the heap.

Another possibility, of course, being that they make the SW a primarily single-target class whose DoTs are most effective on high HP enemies. But then TRs are rendered even more irrelevant then they are now.
  • skatooshskatoosh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sorry guys.. im tr 15k gs bla bla but we r useless like dc and tank...
    why exist when gwf and cw can do all on a run alone? why pug a tr or a tank or a dc when a cw pure damage can do 19million gwf a little less?
    aoe single target controll all in 1..
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    in high end 14k+ players base most over played class is spell storm cw in pve every team have 2-3 in team and in pvp it is sentinel gwf where u have 2-3 per team
  • warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mconosrep wrote: »
    I do agree with this, but for slightly convoluted reasons.

I think when the SW comes out then unless it has more DPS than the CW very few people will bother playing it, as it is unlikely to have the same control abilities. But right now CW DPS is the best in the game (aside, perhaps, from the most geared GWFs). So they will either produce an uber-DPS class that will render everything else (apart from maybe 1 CW for control purposes per party) useless, or reduce CW AOE DPS.

i agree none will take it in team if they do not nerf dps of spell storm but even then do not think ppl would take it in team since would still lack huge debuffs and buff from cw atm if u do not have 2xcw it mostly means more then 2 times slower dungeons
  • lewel555lewel555 Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Curious what everyone thinks the most overplayed/popular class is these days...
    List what you think the class popularity is in order

1) HR because newest, anyone raised a HR alt.
    2) CW because highest DPS/CC. I ran a PUG yesterday and I was the only non-CW
    3) TR because it's been the OP class from day one. There must be as many TRs ingame as the grand total of the other classes.
  • angryspriteangrysprite Member Posts: 4,982 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Only Cryptic will know for sure. I agree with most (if not all) the above comments based on what I see as forum subjects.

However, what I'm seeing in-game are a lot of Rangers and Tricksters, after that I see Wizards and a little fewer Great Weapon Fighters, then finally a few Clerics and a lot less Guardian Fighters than I used to. Of course all this is based on what I see when I'm in-game: early mornings, late afternoons in my time-zone, and then only in the zone I am currently in with my current character.

The first anniversary is coming up and I hope to see (expect?) a blog post from lead producer and I'm hoping some stats will be included, such as the most and least popular classes, races, class/race combos, mounts, companions and perhaps even skirmishes and dungeons/epic dungeons. (Also hoping for (expecting?) a new player class to be unveiled for anniversary also, and I'm hoping it's a Warlock) -wink-

The lead producer of STO included some of these stats in a blog post and it was fascinating to read, and it also was highly unexpected in terms of perception and what was actually the most/least popular among these things.

Anyway, long-live Neverwinter and Cryptic Studios. They are working hard at all this stuff and doing an awesome job, frustration aside.
  • cerebralpyrecerebralpyre Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    noone will play a DC.

The more people say this, the more Im going to play mine, and be awesome at it.
    Cerebralpyre 13.2k SW
    Pheryllt - 13.8k HR
    Ginko - 10.3k DC

Puzzl Bochs - lvl38 CW
  • jorifice1jorifice1 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    As a little addendum to this list:
    There are BIG changes coming up in PvP soon.
    Guardian Fighters are getting a very nice buff, while the Bugged abilities on Hunter Rangers and Control Wizards are being fixed and the Tenacity stat will be introduced. This will hammer Wizards and Clerics nearly to death, if it goes live as it stands, and those "Invincible" Great Weapons Fighters will have their Armour Penetration, Crits, and Self Heals dropped down to much more manageable levels. So expect to see many more Guardian Fighters starting to show up as folks build new PvP characters and stop playing their GWFs and CWs in PvP quite as much.

'Wen considered the nature of time and understood that the universe is, instant by instant, recreated anew. Therefore, he understood, there is in truth no past, only a memory of the past. Blink your eyes, and the world you see next did not exist when you closed them. Therefore, he said, the only appropriate state of the mind is surprise. The only appropriate state of the heart is joy. The sky you see now, you have never seen before. The perfect moment is now. Be glad of it.' Terry Pratchet The Thief Of Time
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I rarely pve so i can only give comment on pug pvp.
    DC is the least picked class in pvp, if you saw a cleric, probably he is doing for daily unless he is in strictly pvp guild which will do PM and continue to pvp after doing daily. But sometimes queue system is broken and 4 clerics are sorted in a match, or else it is only me as a cleric playing against other sents and dps classes.
  • jazzfongjazzfong Member Posts: 1,079 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Double post
  • karranorkarranor Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It never ceases to amaze me how people flock to once OP class or another when it is out of whack. Then the same crowd gets mad when they change/nerf it. I see tons of HR for sure but honestly as far as MMO's goes Neverwinter seems to be pretty easy with just about any class you end up playing.
    Main(s): Kyruel Foecrusher OP, Meriki The Mad CW, Mortalis TR, Gorebringer GWF, Karranor HR
    Loads of videos: Neverwinter Video Guides!
    Find Neverwinter Game Guides on DDM's Realm!

The Fyxt RPG combines digital convenience with the fun of a tabletop RPG. Play the Fyxt RPG now for free!

Play Smarter, Not Harder! ~ Karranor
  • theheroshieldtheheroshield Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There are so many CWs running around it's kind of annoying, tbh. Probably has to do with the fact that they're pretty powerful with their CCs and DPS, but it makes it really tough for a tank at times. I was running with group of 4 CWs and man, trying to peel adds off four of them while they're spamming Singularity is a pain. Sorry, pointless ranting.

Anyways after that is the pile of HRs. New class, blah blah blah, totally expected. After that I've seen quite a few GWFs now which is also unsurprising with their buffs. I almost always see 2 or more in any PVP PUG.

TRs are pretty rare now, and DCs have always been. When I run my DC I never have trouble getting into a DD. And no matter how badly I play the class (I'm pretty noobish at it I admit, but that's also because I'm unfamiliar with the healer classes and I'm trying to learn) no one ever kicks me or complains.

And then there's the GFs who I rarely see nowadays. This probably has to do with the fact that we are the underdog (not just saying that because I play one; check it out, you'll see what I mean) and therefore less desirable. But in some ways it's kind of cool because it's a challenge and because when a GF is needed (check the LFG for FH for example) there's not much competition. You do get a little appreciation in that regard.

Sadly all people do now is stack CWs so it's mostly a wizard's game now. But hopefully that'll change.
  • ashnvfashnvf Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Sadly all people do now is stack CWs so it's mostly a wizard's game now. But hopefully that'll change.

It's not going to change until the encounters are changed from being add central.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    currently I think:

1 - hr, but is falling.

2-cw apparently stable.

3 - gwf / tr: the first is rising, the second down.

4: dc / gf: although the population of the gf is starting to rise both because of buffs, as the reason that "ex dps" as the rogue are realizing that it is more beneficial to have a class focused on the collective than exposed the alternation of "balances".

if nothing is changed, I think we cw first, second gwf may rise. gf / hr / tr in third. dc fourth.
  • brcubbrcub Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    HRs and then CWs are only mostly played because the class resources aren't so much important to player performance like they are for other classes.

So when a dumb player that played a TR or a TWF without even bothering to manage properly the stealth or determination bar and then switches to a CW or HR he notices a HUGE improvement on his damage. And then the player gets the wrong impression. Resource bars like determination and specially stealth for a TR are extremely significant. But they require some managing. So as long as players are happy if they can do meager control while doing some acceptable damage like a poorly played CW does why should they bother with managing a stealth bar? This is why sometimes we see a CW doing twice the damage of another CW.

A well played TR makes almost all boss fights much smoother because no other class comes slightly close to a TR in single target damage.

A well played CW positions, keeps mobs where he wants and groups them for AoE decimation.

A bad played CW keep bumping things around, prevent others specially TRs and TWFs from properly performing and because of that appears high on the damage charts.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The DCs are not very popular right now, and that is partly because people don't realize that they can fill two different roles.

First, for example in a typical average PUG, a DC serves primarily as a healer - keeping others alive through the dungeon.

Second, in a well-geared group, say, with an average GS above 15K, healing is not quite as necessary (OK, sometimes it is really necessary, like during the strangling part in MC final battle), because the other players will have better Defense and Deflect (thus taking less damage) and better Life Steal and Regeneration (thus self-healing better). In this situation a DC has to play a completely different role - as a buffer and debuffer first, and healer second. With the right gear and powers (High Prophet, Terror enchant, Hallowed ground and Divine glow to start with) a DC can boost the DPS of the rest of the party significantly, thus making fights shorter and safer.

Some players don't realize this and just think of the DC as useless baggage or a class that is no fun to play, as it has the lowest damage in a group ... sorry...their loss, I'd say. A good DC can always find enough fun things to do.
    Hoping for improvements...