test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Change Aspect of the Falcon

spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in The Wilds
This is a very simple change that I feel would help out with some of the issues players seem to be having with the HR.

Keeping in mind that Archery is the ranged nuke build, I feel that Aspect of the Falcon should actually reduce the range of all ranged at-will/encounters but furthermore it should change the range increments for Sniper's Aim.

The reason for this is two-fold.

A) It would allow Archery Spec. Hunter Rangers to more fully utilize the Sniper's Aim perk in mid-range combat.

B) It would help any spec. Hunter Ranger control the range of their overaggro in certain dungeons/fights.

As it stands now, there is virtually no use in the entire game for Aspect of the Falcon.

While I agree that a skilled HR will not have over-aggro issues with proper placement, I feel that such a skilled player would under no circumstances use this particular class skill.

I parsed myself at mid-range in the exact same spot both with and without Aspect of the Falcon, and it seems to have virtually no effect on Sniper's Aim. This leads me to believe that there are hard-capped range increments of unknown length, and that Aspect of the Falcon does not significantly change them in any way. I had actually expected the range increment to change it, but here are the numbers.

119,993 damage in 81 hits without AotF
120,653 damage in 80 hits with AotF

So in essense, the only thing AotF could achieve is extending the furthest damage range increment for maximum damage. This sounds good on paper but in practice there are few, if any, places where such a bonus is advantageous or even practical with current dungeon design.

While such a change would not make AotF a 'mandatory' class skill it would be a useful tool in dungeons that do not allow the HR to fully exploit their feat selections.
MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
Post edited by spacejew on

Comments

• Options
    daimyo3daimyo3 Member Posts: 49
    edited February 2014
    In dungeons is totally useless.

But in PvP it can help you hit a CW before it hits you, stun/daze/grasp him and kill him ASAP, so it's definitely worth it.

Still I think that +9' is so minuscle, it's almost negligible (it's like 1-2 steps), and I think it would be much more useful if they bring back to 15' (or even 20') as it was during class closed beta. I think a "fair" distance should be something around 4-5 steps more (15-20').
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    daimyo3 wrote: »
    In dungeons is totally useless.

But in PvP it can help you hit a CW before it hits you, stun/daze/grasp him and kill him ASAP, so it's definitely worth it.

Still I think that +9' is so minuscle, it's almost negligible (it's like 1-2 steps), and I think it would be much more useful if they bring back to 15' (or even 20') as it was during class closed beta. I think a "fair" distance should be something around 4-5 steps more (15-20').

Functionally it makes the longest range damage bonus from Sniper's Aim 9 feet larger. In dungeons, it is...situationally useful. Last boss of Karrundax, for instance, is easy to get long range on. However, in Temple of the Spider you will not find much of a use for it.

I just think Aspect of the Falcon needs to change the actual damage ratio for Sniper's Aim, as it currently doesn't seem to affect it at all. So even though my range is extended by a few feet, that new range category doesn't do anything to significantly or marginally change my damage. There aren't really any dungeon's that let you take advantage of it's tiny range bonus either.

This is why I suggest making it shorten the range of attacks, as this would shorten the range for each category of increased damage for the Archery Tree. (Who, I feel, is the only tree that would ever bother using this class skill in the first place.)
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    query523query523 Member Posts: 1,515 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I stock it to three specifically for PVP, won't touch it in PVE.