test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Looking for Feedback

stjordvikstjordvik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Foundry Quest Database
I've just published my first quest, and would love some feedback on it. It's entitled the Smuggler's Trove, ID NW-DEFYV90V8. There's not a ton of content to it, some basic dialogue and combat, but it was the first time working with Foundry and I was just getting my feet wet, so to speak. I am working on a much more in depth campaign, but would like to know what people think of the style of this one or any other tips folks may have before I get too far into it. Of course, I'm always happy to review other folks work as well, so let me know if there is anything you want reviewed.

Thanks again, and cheers!
Post edited by stjordvik on

Comments

• Options
    vayle#4883 vayle Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello There

I just played your quest it was good but a bit short.

• Maybe you could rename some map transitions instead of go to the next map
    • You could put a bit more challenge into it a boss or something.

Overall it was a nice first quest

I made my first quest around these days too. if you're interested the info is down in my signature

Cheers!

-Nemeia
  • Options
    ladypeanut66ladypeanut66 Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hi there!

The quest was nice but short, although for a first attemp is really cool.
    • You should really change some of the interaction texts, like the 'Go to Next Map'
    • The Crypt has very few details. For large rooms, like the last one, if you clic on the room on the Layout Layer (2D) you have the option to populate (the server puts some random details on the room)
    • It lacks on encounters. Maybe putting some other encounters and a boss (Hard/Standard Encounter) with a customized custome would be nice
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll work on tweaking it a bit to get some better transitions and a bit more challenge to it. I can definitely get more detail into it (the map I've been working on for my next one is a constant ongoing process of change and detail so improving this one should be no problem). I had thought about the boss some, and I think I know how I want to improve that as well, so thanks so much for the feedback.

Also, Nemeia, I'll try to get in on your quest and give it a run today as well.

Cheers
  • Options
    melindenmelinden Member Posts: 619 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I played with a level 60 DC. I really like the Neverdeath zone so I'm happy for any reason to go back. I didn't think this was ready for a starred review yet, but I will be happy to review it again when you have had the chance to make some changes. Good luck!

Play through notes:

-others have noted changing the default Go to Next Map already
    -it seemed a little odd to me that the inside of the vardo had stone walls and a fireplace with a chimney. It might be a little more logical if you used wooden walls and the wood stove, for example.
    -if you do keep that map, the lamp across from the fireplace is floating away from the wall and the fire place has one of the house beams protruding into it
    -The knife is floating up above the table. Small objects can be a real pain to place, I know.
    -the exit door is floating away from the wall. There are some other doors in the detail list that have doorframes as well. I think they tend to look a little better than the doors without frames, myself.
    -when I reach the grave stone you have the transition customized, which is great. The think that is tough to remember is that in front of whatever you type in the transition box will always be "Press F to...." so the sentence you have there doesn't make as much sense as it could. Maybe "Press F to enter the tunnel that Karthen marked on the map" ?
    -I really liked the detail of the digging animation, it is a nice touch
    -crypts can be tough to decorate. Here are a couple of suggestions if you are looking for ideas:

-have the hole I dropped down in the ceiling (there are some options in details you can use). Maybe dirt falling from where I tunneled in.
    -some of the small crypt pieces like pillars and sarcophagi
    -the big red banners help add some color
    -there are several debris piles that would work well here
    -you can add doors in the doorways that I'd have to open

-I normally don't mind it as much if the undead are just standing around, but if you wanted to add some variety you can have some of your encounters wandering or patrolling
    -the exit door isn't really lined up with the wall. One way to make it look right is to add a small hall beyond that final room. This will make a door. Then, by hand, add a door from the details list. Then you select that door for the exit. This will make a door way that will look logical.
    Find me in game with @DoctorBadger
    (Un)Academic Field Work Foundry Campaign: NWS-DAPZB2CTZ
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the tips and the feedback. I spent a lot of yesterday working on refining the setting and the flow of the quest, so hopefully should have it re-published in a day or so. As far as the vardo, I had considered using the wagon instead of a cottage, but there were two issues I had with that. The first was that from an in game RP stance, I figured that someone living in the city and working there for as long as the character is supposed to have been (hence why he knew about the buried entrance), a home more permanent than the wagon would have been reasonable. And that's why I changed the barmaid's dialogue to mention his cottage with the broken down wagon in front. And reason number two was simply I couldn't find any simple, solid wooden walls to work with ;) I did see that there were the human interior walls in brick and stone, but the only wooden walls I found were the old fences with the gaps and holes in the wood. I figured there had to be simple solid plank walls, but for the life of me could not find any. As it turns out, I may have to re-structure the entire map anyhow.

I have had much more practice since with placement of objects and such, so fixing the floating knife, the beam in the fireplace, and even the door were simple fixes. But for some reason, the lamp above the table seems stuck. In either edit mode or even the detail mode on the map, the box to adjust and move the lamp just isn't there. But no worries, I feel more confident making a map now, so an entire new one might be a better option anyhow.

I've been doing quite a bit to decorate the crypts, and even added a bit more depth to the story in the process, so hopefully that will work better. Likewise, working on fixes for the transitions. As far as moving/patrolling monsters, I'm still working out the kinks in that. I can set them to wander/patrol, but they still just seem to stand there, so I must be missing something. But thankfully, I'm patient :) I'll get it figured out. I'll let you know when it's republished and would love to hear any additional thoughts.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Unfortunately not everything is named logically. For wooden walls you can use the bar back item or the human trim pieces turned on their sides. You can use those for wooden floors as well. Just make sure that the trim piece you use has collision, not all of them do.

Wander does not appear in preview but will work in live. If you search my @handle DoctorBadger you will see Wander Examples I made for myself ages ago.

Sounds like you are making good progress!
  • Options
    flubflomflubflom Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Please no more Quests where the main guy you talk to is the real villan! Too too many of those so that now when I talk to them I am thinking uh oh this guy is going to attack me in the end! So it is not a "twist" or "surprise" anymore =)
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Melinden, sorry for the delay, but the re-published quest is finally up. You know how it is, best of intentions to get it done right away, and then reality kicks in and next thing you know, days have gone by with no work done. But, I finally made the time, got the maps fixed and re-worked, a lot of additional detail in the crypts, and improved the map transitions. Had a minor bug with an animation for a door (every time I used the push animation, it seemed to cause the door to pop open for a few short seconds then close again, so I had to remove the animation), but I'm pretty happy with the new feel of it. If you have some time, let me know what you think.

Cheers
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No need to apologize to me for any delay, I've been swamped at work and haven't had the energy for much other than a few dailies really. Unfortunately that also means I haven't been keeping up with reviews.

Onto the notes:

-The new vardo interior looks great!

-You have a double interaction on the exit door from the vardo. This usually means that you have it set as a interactable in a detail AND you are using it for the map transition. Usually you would just set it as a map transition. Sometimes you need to move the map transition to some other random object, then delete the detail, add it back, then set the NEW door as the map transition. It can be a pain.

-the new crypt details are very nice.

-the final door is also a double interactable and has its default name of Iron Door -01 or something like that

You did a ton of work, definitely moving in the right direction. The only big suggestion I might have would be and try to get it over the 15 minute mark for a daily, that way you will attract more players. Not a requirement by any means, however.