test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lag and video settings

dhuras1dhuras1 Member Posts: 166 Bounty Hunter
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
The Tech Forum is now read only, so I don't know where to post this.

I just upgraded my video card to Geforce GTX 550 TI and now I'm getting worse lag. Ive always had a problem around Icy Terrain, but now I'm getting this kind of lag in dungeons, without it.

I looked through the settings, but have no idea what most of it means. I turned off shadows and reflections, but don't know what else to do. What else can I turn down or off to be able to move in dungeons again?
Post edited by dhuras1 on

Comments

• Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The GUI elements in Cryptic games eat up a lot of performance. Disable enemy/player/NPC labels unless you're targeting them - see if that helps. Also try turnign off phys-X objects and ambient occlusion.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I don't see those options. I must be looking in the wrong place.
  • Options
    jimdenjimden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I believe they'll be under the options tab in the section gameplay
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    vasdamasvasdamas Member Posts: 2,461 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's interesting but after upgrading my video card I noticed that I started getting some unpredictable laggs too.
    My old one was GT 9500 and I had not problems running it on recomended settings ( but still) while my GTS 450 just laggs terribly as I start to play on recomended settings (it suggests max settings but it still keeps lagging just on average-/+)

I suspect I should reinstall both game and OS after installing new hardware but unfortunately I can't afford such a luxary lol
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    There are no video options under gameplay

This lag is so bad that a lvl 40 DC out damaged my 60 CW. I guess I'm going to have to down grade my video card. I have no interest in seeing blades of grass, brighter flowers, shadows, reflections...etc. I'd be fine with stick figures, as long as I could move freely and play the game.
  • Options
    arcrivalarcrival Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    no something is bottle necking you. I would start task manager and see what s eating up the resources. That ti card should be smoking unless you have a <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> processor. Check make sure no apps are running in the back ground. i.e. wn.ex etc.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Pentium D 3GHZ

The biggest resource eaters are web pages.

I did find a guide of things to shut down ingame and it helps a bit, but not enough to do dungeons. I can live through T1s with my DC, but that's about it. Even the end of CTA gets to me.
  • Options
    elusiveonen7elusiveonen7 Member Posts: 190 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You need a whole new pc, you can't continue to upgrade parts around that ancient single core processor. Get yourself something with an i5 or i7 processor, then use that new video card you have.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Not an option.
  • Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dhuras1 wrote: »
    Not an option.

Sadly that's a very old CPU. It cannot feed your new card enough info. Some years ago or so both my work and my media PCs died (nice "luck" eh) and I had to unearth an ancient Athlon around your Pentium D performance level. I was playing WoW back then, and it was hardly enough. I had to stop raiding until my PCs were repaired.

What I'm trying to say is that whatever new GPU you will buy, the CPU will bottleneck it BADLY. Also, MMOs are famous for being CPU hungry, although I have to say Neverwinter barely utilizes my FX 8350.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    what GPU has to do with network problems ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

and performance issues are caused by curvehands.dll used by devs, even with athlon II x4 sometimes icy terrain causes framerate drop to like 0.5 fps for a short duration
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I guess it's back to the old card and will just have to stay away from Icy Terrain users.
  • Options
    burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    dont downgrade gpu, just check drivers and play with graphic settings, there are some that reduce cpu load, but you do really need to upgrade you pc
    Paladin Master Race
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I did all that, and I'm still not up to the performance of my old card. I can no longer do DDs. I can't even do CTA very well.