test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Give this wonderful world more 'Life'

xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
edited November 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
This world has a living breathing lineage. How about a living breathing present and future! The lives of all the Neverwinter folk shouldn't be all running and gunning. What about the 'life' of the characters we build. What about the professions and activities that would keep one firmly planted in the realm.

Player Housing:
--Build bigger and decorate with players accomplishments
--Carpentry Professions for furniture and such
--Practice halls where companions can 'grind' for experience

Professions like
-- Fishing
-- Hunting
-- Gathering
-- Cooking (works with the above)

The ability to send companions out to do minor bidding is also an intriguing idea, especially when you have a large collection of companions.

These are just to start. For the players, it gives us something to work toward between modules and doing dailies when the skrims and DD's have run dry. It also adds immersion, especially for the true RP'ers out there.

For PWE this could easily make more money. Buying a plot of land or, preferably, an expansion to land already given, through Zen or AD. Expanding built home with skills, kits, nodes, and yes. . .AD. The money making schema are already built. This just taps it in different way. I know I would pay for a cooldown or two, just cuz I am impatient ;p

For Cryptic, I know this is already in your heads. You would have just as much fun building it and the assets would expand almost exponentially. You know you wanna ;p
sunElf_Rogue.png
Post edited by xabersedge on

Comments

• ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Companions can grind for experience in Sword Coast Adventures. Player/Guild Housing has been brought up before, whether or not Cryptic plans to introduce this feature can be debated till everyone is blue in the face and still not have any impact on the decision one way or the other.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • xabersedgexabersedge Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 119 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Im not talking about just grinding. I mean send them off to do something meaningful. As in, you can't call them in game because they are in the mines getting ore, in the fields finding herbs, in the woods getting wood for furniture and such. It's not all about experience its about them doing more than just combat related grinding. Sword Coast is cool and all, but its still just a point and click grind fest with, yes experience, but otherwise no reward that merits anything and certainly does nothing for the roleplaying aspect of a roleplaying game.
    sunElf_Rogue.png
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No thanks. Player housing is only useful as an extra bank, and everything else are some of the most boring features from other mmo's that made me hate those games when I had to do them for something useful.
  • kap273kap273 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    D&D is at it's core a roleplaying game. You can always pretend that your companions are unavailable at a given time leaving you either alone or with one you don't normally use.
  • commanderkhancommanderkhan Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is by far the best plan i have read for player homes. it has a great starting point and leaves room for expansion. very well done! i wont hold my breath that the devs will do this but i sure hope so. i agree that it would be nice to sit and relax for a bit and still be able to do fun things. the repetitive nature of the daily quests has gotten rather dull. this would certainly be a neat thing to spend my time doing that has good benefits for me. its also somewhere i can leave my character at night instead of out in the cold. DO THIS CRYPTIC!
  • sasorassasoras Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    id rather they have an arena and we can throw our companions inside and have them fight each other.

And then we can do bets on who wins..
  • masizin777masizin777 Member Posts: 181 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would like a random dungeon generator with puzzles. The city to be bigger also. Even constant events randomly chosen from a long list. More and cheaper fashion items would be cool. Better pvp reward items and maps. But more importantly I want the story of Neverwinter to continue, we shouldn't be stuck at one place in the story for more than a year either.
  • kolbe11kolbe11 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    LOL!

Sounds like a repeat of several conversations already brought up since ALPHA... If they're not here, which they are not, we're not getting them. Quoting Jack Emmert: "Most content is created within the first year of release..."
    "It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools: Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers." -Illiad
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    While I ordinarily have fun with player houses, at least in single-player games, I don't really see this MMO as being one of those games that really needs it. Wouldn't really add anything, besides being another form of Bank or something. I doubt many people would run into other people's homes in order hang out and to admire that person's awesome gear and awards etc, and thus the resources for it could, and should, be better spent elsewhere. This isn't Morrowind/Skryim. Even ESO isn't going to have player-housing, last I heard (at least initially).

I do like fishing/hunting, however. Crafting/professions that require gathering of resources. Time sinks. I had the impression, however, that the way NWO does professions was precisely to avoid the "grind" of having to spend half your playtime gathering such resources in order to craft. Many don't like doing it. I suppose you could send companions out for the resources, but professions already have "workers" that are doing that anyway, so using companions would be redundant.

That all said ... I do agree NWO could use a little more interactive or even non-combat things to do between Events and Dailies/Dungeons etc.
  • drecq87drecq87 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can think of a couple of games that did Player housing or a Guild Hall style system that worked very well, one being Guild Wars, and I think the other one was Dark Age of Camelot (sp). I think there is enough crafting things already that adding more would go a little overboard. I do think that this game needs more interaction and more things that can be done without having to pay for it. That to me is the biggest downfall to this game, that to get things you have to be willing to pay for it.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Eh.. I don't RP in game, but I might if I had a home.
    NEED shared banks like the hideouts in Champs Online. I've had some fun in my hideouts.

I think the game needs more flavor in terms of world interaction.. destructible objects is a start. I guess this game might have more trouble dealing with the extra load than CO, esp in the Enclave. (I've seen some objects moved by the wind of my actions, that's coolish)

I think it would be cool if when I approach an npc, and there are cats about, if my cat would interact with them. Or if I had a man at arms and approached another player who had one, the two companions started talking shop.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • destinyknightdestinyknight Member Posts: 962 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree with all of that from the OP.
  • nap1985nap1985 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Personally, player housing does absolutely nothing for me. It would likely just turn into a superficial money grab and take away from substantial content. Perhaps I'm in the minority in that I don't want that....
  • mcmike1mcmike1 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    for some reason I cannot post a new thread, it says BB code is on, but since you mentioned player housing I thought it would be ok to post my idea. how about using the foundry so players can make houses. the first "build" would be free but if a player wants to edit it or build more onto it they would have to pay gold.
  • zbd18zbd18 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm sure cryptic appreciates this post!
  • chthonicmythoschthonicmythos Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0
    edited February 2014
    Player housing seems cool. It's like the ultimate vanity item, and if people want to spend lots of money to pimp out a fake house, that just ensures regular content and updates for the rest of us.
  • snackz1snackz1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Guild halls would be great for the game. If don't right, it adds so much more to being in a guild. However, making the halls interactive would be important if started... building homes or halls just for vanity is pointless. If you could put merchants and whatnot in your guild hall, it would be awesome. I think adding in mini games would be cool too... such as an arrow shooting game that gives you a certain amount of AD for points scored. Just my opinion.
  • bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd love to see guild housing implemented, even if it would be instanced, just like the other content. Add another zone, an instance, with different size/type of rentable areas, small, medium, big, where guilds could build a town or a castle depending on the size of the area rented. Make it cost a fixed amount of AD/week or /month depending on the size of the area and implement some kind of guild tax system or at least some way to send AD to the guild leader so he won't be the only one paying for it.

Let us have different types and sizes of buildings, that give you a temporary buff while your in your guilds' town/castle, like +10% crafting speed or quality, something small but useful. Also buildings would cost AD to buy or build, and you could make bosses drop BoE schematics so they could be traded on the AH.

Implement castle sieges, Guild vs Guild battles where entire guilds can partake, but make it optional, have some kind of option for guilds to opt out of the GvG. For example your could make GvG battles require each side to have castles, or add an additional safety tax, which makes you immune to attack, or add some kind of spell to make your town/castle invisible to others, when cast, so you can't be attacked, make the spell require certain amount of components/day to remain active, but make these components BoE, so you if you don't want to farm the you could just buy them on the AH.

You could also ad some local AH vendor, which would allow trading between guild members only, with no or very low fees.

You could also ad some of the better buildings/components/stuff available on the Zen Market, just don't exaggerate with the prices, eg. don't make a schematic for a castle cost $200. They shouldn't be cheap, but shouldn't be overpriced either.

This would be good for 2 things:
    1. You could differentiate good, big guilds from 1-man guilds;
    2. Would add the possibility for massive GvG PvP, which is something this game needs.

If done right this would be a much better AD sink / incentive to buy Zen for cash than the lcokbox keys and would finally make guilds worth joining, because as of now there isn't any advantage to joining a big guild, because GG can be joined if your in a 1-man guild also, so the only advantage that a guild currently provides is it's guild chat, which makes communication easier if you're not using voicecom.
  • commanderkhancommanderkhan Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So none of the posts about wanting a guild base/town/area have really been answered. Such a shame. I really used to love this game. I thought the story was awesome, the characters, the graphics, the play control were all great. Everything about the game really was pretty good. I just completely lost interest in it because of lack of things to do. I dont do repeatable things just because I find them boring. I havent played the game in a while but I do come back to see if anything with the guild system has been added. So far, nothing. That would bring me back to NWR. I just keep hoping to hear it is being worked on. Maybe they are really taking their time with it to make it perfect. Im hoping thats the case because I really do want to play the game again and have interest in it. Its just that everytime I feel like playing, I fire it up and quickly lose interest. Such a shame for such a good game.
  • lewstelamon01lewstelamon01 Member Posts: 7,415 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tousseau wrote: »
    Arise Vilithrax!!!

Nah, I think Valindra got raised from the dead with this one. Even that dragon in Dread Ring stirred a bit.

If it's more than 30 days old, guys, please don't post in it.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Great Weapon Fighter: Because when is today not a good day to die?

PC and PS4 player. Proud Guildmaster for PS4 Team Fencebane. Rank 5 Officer for PC Team Fencebane. Visit us at http://fencebane.shivtr.com
This discussion has been closed.