test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will Foundry PVP Split up the PvP Community?

ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
Last play time with the DEVs I spent some time chatting with them about quite a few things. One of which was Foundry PVP. I was told they do not ever plan on making Foundry PVP possible because they were afraid it would split up the pvp community.

I want to throw some quick thoughts out there....

I think as a pvper, I understand where you are coming from, but I really want you to see where WE are coming from as players. Please read this and pass this along to the DEVs Sominator.

I have been playing since open beta and we have been playing the same two pvp maps since then. The same game type... While its had its ups and downs, I mean guys...... its really gotten stale. I understand the first two modules were already layed out and didnt intend to have any pvp, but seriously, the two questions that every pvper is asking

1) When are new pvp maps coming
2) When are we getting new game types?

Now you might be working on some new pvp maps, or some new pvp event (like GG) that will add to pvp. I know you HAVE been hard at work with tenacity and I really appreciate not only you guys are listening to the forums (like the ARP revision) but that you PLAY with us.

But look at this from a players perspective: Its been almost a year and there have been no pvp maps. There have been (probably by now) thousands of posts on these forums asking for more pvp content and nothing.... If you guys do end up rolling out one or two more pvp maps, or maybe just a GG type event, do you think its going to be enough?

I believe I can speak for the majority of the PVPers left in this game that
1) We want more than domination maps
2) We want more than just a new pvp event

What DO we want?
1) We want more maps for domination, yes but we also want more GAME-TYPES. These have been suggested as slayer/CTF/king of the hill games.
- afraid more game types will split up the community? Just have one que system so you dont know what game TYPE will even pop...
2) If you are not going to give US the power to create games via foundry, people want to see regular pvp content being added... Dont just give us two new domination maps and tenacity and call it good, that wont make people stay in the game. I am just being real here because I WANT this game to flourish (see what I did there). We need more than just a new map or two or some new pvp focused event.

BUT WAIT! THERES A SOLUTION!!

If your afraid of Foundry PVP splitting the community a REALLY easy way to ensure that does not happen is

ALLOW FOUNDRY PVP DURING THE FOUNDRY HOUR ONLY!

I know some people will say "no just give me foundry pvp all the time". Hey, Im in that camp as well since (just being brutally honest) the DEVs have not earned my faith in the area of releasing new pvp content, so I would rather have it be in my hands.

But you guys need to look at their perspective as well, they dont wanna release new content to have EVERYONE only doing foundry pvp (which is what would happen). So lets compromise here.... This game is clearly built around "events" every hours which has its pros and cons....

So the Foundry hour was already REALLY lack luster, enable FOundry PVP during that hour only and now its an event that people can do...

WHAT DO I RECOMMEND YOU CONSIDER FOR MODULE 3:

Like I said above, more gametypes. We will have this new rating system in play which is nice, and will help matchups, but people want slayer, they want CTF. they want king of the hill games....

Its really not hard to take existing zones and convert it to a PVP zone like you do with the CTA events...

Each "festival" should have its own limited time pvp map, just copy part of the zone and enable pvp!

Anyways, I DO appreciate what you guys have been doing lately, I know Sominator brings up the top issues to you guys weekly, and I hope this letter to you is one of them. This is not the minority speaking here, this is what your player base wants. I am being sincere and honest here so I hope it is well received.

Thanks guys!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ortzhyortzhy Member Posts: 1,103 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Split the pvp community?! Was this the only answer?! rly?! I wonder how DOTA came to be?! Or Tower Defense?!

What will happen in reality is that many maps will come first and from those maps a few will become favorites and people will start playing them over and over. If u want further help, make it so someone can see how many people are in queue so one may know if it will fire up quick or it has to wait a bit more. I dont see what is the problem if 10 people want to play a specific foundry pvp map... Dont give rewards, i play for the fun of pvp and not for the silly glory.

Truth is that you guys have no ideea how to spin the pvp wheel and till now u;ve only made it worse and you are about to make it even more :)
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Foundry PvP during Foundry Hour sounds like a good idea. Foundry Hour is useless to me as it is; this would fill it with something interesting to do.

I do understand the fear of splitting the community -- longer queue times, fewer people queue, you get a negative spiral. However, I think enabling Foundry maps with PvP elements would only be for the better. It would make for more interesting Foundry content, and it doesn't have to compete with regular PvP content if the rewards are scaled down (the reward being a fun experience, not Glory, Seals of Victory and all that).

I was so bored the other day, a few friends of mine ran a DD foundry. It was listed as 101 minutes but took us about 30... I was actually blown away at how well done the dungeon was, the encounters and the level of detail.

I really hope they open this up to players because wow... If I could farm that dungeon for T2+ loot, you bet I would be doing that quite a bit...

I just dont understand at why they are SO under-utilizing the Foundry. The one we ran was better than any of the current Cryptic made dungeons and you can bet the pvp would be as well!

I know alot of people that foundry was why they started this game, I really hope the DEVs wake up and stop making these limiting decisions.
  • sasorassasoras Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They could just link approved foundry pvp map into the pvp queue, and limit 1 pvp foundry per account.

The pending pvp foundry maps can just await player or dev review.Not sure w.e code they are using will allow or not.
  • degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only thing splitting the NW community is this upcoming module. Hardcore PVP guilds will only get stronger because they have the means and initiative to farm the gear. PVE guilds will abstain from PVP because they're going to get stomped.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
    edited February 2014
    The only thing splitting the NW community is this upcoming module. Hardcore PVP guilds will only get stronger because they have the means and initiative to farm the gear. PVE guilds will abstain from PVP because they're going to get stomped.

Well ontop of that, what is splitting the community is PVPers quitting because of lack of content.

I think the Foundry hour as a pvp hour would be an awesome idea...
  • shiralacshiralac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Foundry PvP has been discussed for a while now. last time i heard, it wasn't going to be let in as it would take many man ours ( money) to verify all pvp arenas/maps, were properly balanced.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see this come to fruition, but they don't want it in game.
    There is no such thing as Pleather Armor.
    edited February 2014
    shiralac wrote: »
    Foundry PvP has been discussed for a while now. last time i heard, it wasn't going to be let in as it would take many man ours ( money) to verify all pvp arenas/maps, were properly balanced.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see this come to fruition, but they don't want it in game.

Im not sure if you read the OP or not, but that wasnt the reason. The reason is because they dont want it to "split" the pvp community with some players only doing foundry pvp and others doing DEV made pvp...

Just like the PVE Foundry is now, there really isnt any reward for doing it, they already dont verify the PVE maps are balanced, it would be the exact same system. Non-rewarded PVP maps.

This actually wouldnt take them much time to implement either from a very basic standpoint.
  • shiralacshiralac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    Im not sure if you read the OP or not, but that wasnt the reason. The reason is because they dont want it to "split" the pvp community with some players only doing foundry pvp and others doing DEV made pvp...

Just like the PVE Foundry is now, there really isnt any reward for doing it, they already dont verify the PVE maps are balanced, it would be the exact same system. Non-rewarded PVP maps.

This actually wouldnt take them much time to implement either from a very basic standpoint.

I know what reason the OP gave, I only posted in the past tense in regards to the reason that was given the last time( in the past) one was given. It was to suggest, that with both past and recent reason/excuses, sounds like they just don't want player created foudnry pvp in game.
    There is no such thing as Pleather Armor.
  • trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    ayroux wrote: »

In my opinion they should have the player made foundry PVP maps and if enough people start playing them, pull them into the main PVP list. I'm willing to be within a couple months we'd have 20 or so awesome PVP maps at least. In a lot of games the user made content is more played than the original.
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They're afraid it will split up the PvP community so they'll never make something that will actually "increase" the PvP community? Uh-huh... I'm going to stop here because my cynical side needs to be re-chained with adamantine to refrain from making certain comments. Do they really not think things through to this degree?
  • maxilockheartmaxilockheart Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2014
    this would be awesome, even if we could submit only 1 map per month or so, to not spam someone who would review them

or if they dont want to add pvp foundry, at least create some more maps AND modes yourself, keep one queue and map/mode random, i dont see a problem with that as long as all maps/modes are 5v5 format :)
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Its highly unlikely it would split the community. Sure there would be a few less PvPers at times but over all I think they would do a few foundry matches then get bored and go back to stomping easier prey until that gets boring then its back to foundry. Even as a casual PUG PvPer, I'll get bored if im winning every match time and time again so every now and then it's nice to actually meet someone that can stomp me....granted its very very rare that I win more then 3 matches in a row.
  • todesfaelletodesfaelle Member Posts: 1,370 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it will, simply because the devs have been made aware of how the current maps are unsatisfying. It will destroy the Queue, making it harder to get into matches when more creative Foundry Authors can simply make new and more satisfying maps with better mechanics, and at a faster pace to boot.

Duels and Group Duels would be a better alternative for now in my opinion, that is until a solution for the said problem has been made.
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think it will, simply because the devs have been made aware of how the current maps are unsatisfying. It will destroy the Queue, making it harder to get into matches when more creative Foundry Authors can simply make new and more satisfying maps with better mechanics, and at a faster pace to boot.

Duels and Group Duels would be a better alternative for now in my opinion, that is until a solution for the said problem has been made.

actually the better solution to the map problem has been answered over and over again. Let the players create new maps using the foundry and then let them be used for domination maps. If you base them of the 2 currant maps it would simply be making a map that ends up mirrored (riverscar) or mirrored and flipped (hotenow). So the devs set a min/max distance for the map area and a min/max distance between nodes and allow 1-2 HP pot spawns to be used.

The players can then design the map, sets the spawn point, sets the pot spawns then sets 1 and 1/2 nodes. Then choses to either mirror or mirror/flip the map for the other side and boom, a new PvP map is born. After that cryptic just needs to come up with some way to pick maybe a map a month to bring into rotation.

Maybe have a contest once a month or every other month, where maps are given a week to be tried out and the highest rated map get selected to be added to the domination maps, maybe the rewards being a title or something little. then they just remove pvp map making till the following month.