test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Ridiculous Unfair Scoring System in Compeitions

evaliraevalira Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 245 Arc User
edited February 2014 in PvE Discussion
What is the justification behind the most unrewarding and unsatisfactory scoring system I have ever experienced in a game?

The scoring in the hourly competitions and winter/summer festival events is just a joke and does not reward those who try and compete.

I have just finished a Swift Action / Slay Quicklings competion. Here are the results:

WINNER - scored 28 - awarded Gold
Me - scored 25 - awarded Silver
Player 3 - scored 9 - awarded Silver
Player 4 - scored 6 - awarded Silver
Player 5 - scored 6 - awarded Copper (or bronze whichever is next)

How can someone who scored 6 get the same reward as someone who scored 25? What is the maths and logic behind this? I could understand if they scored 20 or something, but this is total garbage and happens ALL THE TIME.

I have even got the same score as someone who was awarded Gold, yet I got Silver, and vice versa.

The person who got 6 probably killed these Quicklings just doing the daily quests, yet I wasted 13 minutes of my time trying to chase after the leader because I started a few minutes late, only to to be rewarded with the same reward as someone who probably spent 2 minutes.

In the fishing competitions in the winter festival, I scored 1 less than the winner and received the same placing as someone who scored 100 less than me!!!

Why bother running competitons if you can't score and reward them properly?

I know there are far more serious things wrong with the game, but if you can't make something as simple as this fair and balanced, what faith am I to have in the rest of the game.
Post edited by evalira on

Comments

• miasmatmiasmat Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 318 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2014
    The other thing I've noticed is that on all the "kill something" contests, you can get partial credit for a kill, but it doesn't show on the scoreboard. So, if I do 1 damage to the Quickling, but someone else kills it the rest of the way, I'll show up on the scoreboard with a blank score. I assume this is internally 0.000001 (or something) being rounded down to 0. So, in your example, Player 4 got 6.3, and Player 5 got 6.1. They have a minor score difference, so they end up in different brackets.

In the "collect something" contests, I never see people with the same visual score ending up in different brackets.

Also, like macjae said, the size of the brackets depends on the number of participants. Take a look at the bottom of the scoreboard to see how many people participated. Imagine that the scores of people fell in this order:
    28, 25, 9, 6, 6, 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1
    I could easily see those being bracketed as:
    28 | 25, 9, 6, 6 | 4, 4, 3, 2, 2, 2 | 1, 1, 1, 1...
  • kaiuscormerekaiuscormere Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1
    edited February 2014
    The reward should be relative to the points earned, with an additional bonus for gold, silver, bronze.

For example, let's say you are killing quicklings in Sharandar, you should get 1 R4 enchant per 5 kills (round up), +3 for Gold, +2 for Silver, +1 for Bronze.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    Your reward for taking 1 point in an instance with no competitors is probably just the same as the reward for taking first place in an instance with 50 other people competing.
    It is. If you are the only participant, you get the gold place finish and the full reward.

Of all the 'slay X' contests, the one in Helm's Hold seems to be the only one that fairly scores for partial kills. Maybe it's set up the same and the only difference is the HP of the target. However you get a lot more credit for the damage you do, making kill stealing impossible, unlike what I've seen with the phase spiders in Rothe Valley, where finishing off the mob seems to award all or most of the points.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • empalasempalas Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 802 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In one of the winter events there were three of us that competed...I had a decent score for even if more of us competed...somehow i won and got silver???? But yes I do think there are partial points given that we don't see.