test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Guardian Fighter needs buff

bidagam3rbidagam3r Member Posts: 1 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Militia Barracks
From my experience and from talking to others who have played a guardian fighter, it seems like the class is weak in its tanking role in comparison to the great weapon fighter, especially at higher gear scores. Along with seeming weak in tanking its damage output seems awfully limited when specced towards damage.

-I know many others think the same thoughts on this, which may account as to why there are few GF and many GWF.
-Does anyone else think there should be changes soon to the GF class that will make it more appetizing?
-Does anyone disagree?
Post edited by bidagam3r on

Comments

• Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why doesn't the GF get crit chance from stats, anyway...? Are they going to steamroll through a HR's DPS with an extra 10 crit chance? I really don't get it.

When a GF happens to get controlled, they're in a tight spot, your shield likely just breaks afterwards and you're left there to simply die. GWF can burst into another god mode to buy enough time to recover their health back and repeat the process and they can always dash like hell out of a blob. Determination is loads better in a long situation. GF is supposed to be a tank, but can't handle mobs as well as a GWF. Damage makes a GF vulnerable, but damage makes the GWF invulnerable.

A broken guard meter doesn't help you drink potions.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Completely agree, the GFs ability to nullify damage is countered by his ridiculously low damage output! He has to choose not to block and use the same lame abilities or block and fight for 10 minutes!

GFs totally need some love they are the worst melee in the game, and supposed to be the Superior Tank class!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    alcibaides415bcalcibaides415bc Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    GF's damage output is a little low, but the real reason why GFs deal so little damage is because we have to run around in circles to avoid getting completely stomped by adds. This is idiotic, i'm a fighter, not a rodeo clown. Apparently our strongest control power is to confuse the 192839 adds by running around in a circle.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Don't brother, roll a GWF go sent and be the tank.

This is not LOL there is no weekly balance change.

And it ain't WOW or any other well design MMORPG, game is broken in many ways since it is F2P.

I like the GF too much to sell out and play the GWF (plus, its boring). Rather roll a CW and carry my team past dungeons.
  • Options
    dkfndklsnfkldsdkfndklsnfklds Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    First off.. Excuse my name (got pissed when apparently every other name in history was taken.) ANYWAYS... I have a friend who's a Great Weapon Fighter and is 7 levels below me. I'm a Guardian fighter, yet his defense and melee damage are roughly equal to mine. Sure I have a shield but what good is it if it breaks after 4-5 hits and then I'm left standing there with NO CHANCE to defend myself. When i enter a hard dungeon I have to bring AT LEAST 40 of the 4000hp healing potions because once that block runs out if I'm tanking.... I have to run around in circles jumping around like a moron trying NOT to get hit while waiting for the cooldowns on my healing potions and hoping my guard meter recovers before I die of old age IRL. It's kinda upsetting actually... A few idea's that would make Guardian Fighter worth it for more people are... ((*Slightly Higher Damage - Doesn't even have to be MAJOR... the current damage is pathetic thought. *Bigger Guard Meter - It's kinda upsetting when you lunge up to the enemy and say to your friend "I'll tank! You cover me!" and then the enemy destroys your guard meter in 5-6 hits leaving you running away spamming healing potions to the best of your abilities, because your defense is SO low as a GF without your shield that it's painful. *I'd say give them a battle healing skill that they can use that's activated at all times... say heals like 600hp every 10 seconds? That would help out a bit... *by the way I don't mean we need all of these added just saying that we GF's REALLY need some love because it's kinda sad the way it is.. :| ))
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    First off.. Excuse my name (got pissed when apparently every other name in history was taken.) ANYWAYS... I have a friend who's a Great Weapon Fighter and is 7 levels below me. I'm a Guardian fighter, yet his defense and melee damage are roughly equal to mine. Sure I have a shield but what good is it if it breaks after 4-5 hits and then I'm left standing there with NO CHANCE to defend myself. When i enter a hard dungeon I have to bring AT LEAST 40 of the 4000hp healing potions because once that block runs out if I'm tanking.... I have to run around in circles jumping around like a moron trying NOT to get hit while waiting for the cooldowns on my healing potions and hoping my guard meter recovers before I die of old age IRL. It's kinda upsetting actually... A few idea's that would make Guardian Fighter worth it for more people are... ((*Slightly Higher Damage - Doesn't even have to be MAJOR... the current damage is pathetic thought. *Bigger Guard Meter - It's kinda upsetting when you lunge up to the enemy and say to your friend "I'll tank! You cover me!" and then the enemy destroys your guard meter in 5-6 hits leaving you running away spamming healing potions to the best of your abilities, because your defense is SO low as a GF without your shield that it's painful. *I'd say give them a battle healing skill that they can use that's activated at all times... say heals like 600hp every 10 seconds? That would help out a bit... *by the way I don't mean we need all of these added just saying that we GF's REALLY need some love because it's kinda sad the way it is.. :| ))

I hope you're running a Conq/IV build and have fighter's recovery as one of your dailies. Only way you can tank effectively is to use shield for high damage attacks (red circles/long attack animations) to build AP then pop fighter's recovery/villian's menace over and over again.
  • Options
    itgetsalloveritgetsallover Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can also use Tide of Iron every few swings to replenish your guard and also to debuff your target.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You can also use Tide of Iron every few swings to replenish your guard and also to debuff your target.

tides of iron is useless, when you need guard replenishing the most is when you use tide of iron the least. Aka getting swamped by adds, which in this case TR is better so you can escape the mobs and kite. By the tine you complete one animation of tides, you're either dead or close to death. Only useful if facetanking the boss for the 10% debuff, which will be mostly in ToS.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    tides of iron is useless, when you need guard replenishing the most is when you use tide of iron the least. Aka getting swamped by adds, which in this case TR is better so you can escape the mobs and kite. By the tine you complete one animation of tides, you're either dead or close to death. Only useful if facetanking the boss for the 10% debuff, which will be mostly in ToS.

No, Tide of Iron is useless for your build in the specific situation you mentioned. I use a SM Tactician build and it's amazing. You can refill your guard while you're immune to damage and go right back to tanking. By the time your guard is getting close to being empty again, your AP is full and you're immune to damage again. Rinse and repeat.

[Edit: And if you've got so many adds on you that you're dying in the amount of time it takes you to use Tide of Iron once, your group isn't doing its job and you were probably doomed anyway.]
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No, Tide of Iron is useless for your build. I use a SM Tactician build and it's amazing. You can refill your guard while you're immune to damage and go right back to tanking. By the time your guard is getting close to being empty again, your AP is full and you're immune to damage again. Rinse and repeat.

[Edit: And if you've got so many adds on you that your dying in the amount of time it takes you to use Tide of Iron once, your group isn't doing its job and you were probably doomed anyway.]

oh running the iron maiden build? Its a problem for me when you have to be a SM to have tides of iron to be viable, and to actually stand and tank, whereas if you go IV you're going to have a hard time surviving without that 6sec invincible.

Oh and this has in fact happened many times where adds swamp me and i have to run in a circle to avoid death. Its calling PUGing :).
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    oh running the iron maiden build? Its a problem for me when you have to be a SM to have tides of iron to be viable, and to actually stand and tank, whereas if you go IV you're going to have a hard time surviving without that 6sec invincible.

Oh and this has in fact happened many times where adds swamp me and i have to run in a circle to avoid death. Its calling PUGing :).

I feel you, bud. I mostly PUG too, thanks to a stupid work schedule.

I'm running a slightly modified Iron Maiden build, but it's essentially the same thing. The invincibility is pretty much necessary to "tank" dungeons in PUGs. Running in Knight Commander with buffed Into the Fray also makes me feel like I'm not completely useless, since I'm (potentially) buffing everyone else's damage by 30%.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    I feel you, bud. I mostly PUG too, thanks to a stupid work schedule.

I'm running a slightly modified Iron Maiden build, but it's essentially the same thing. The invincibility is pretty much necessary to "tank" dungeons in PUGs. Running in Knight Commander with buffed Into the Fray also makes me feel like I'm not completely useless, since I'm (potentially) buffing everyone else's damage by 30%.

Ah i loved the KC set, i also would love to go tactician but i like seeing 30k crits on my anvil of doom strikes more than i like tanking. God i love AoD, even if its the worst dps encounter avaliable to GFs, i love the timing it takes to see that awesome damage. I just wish there is more variety in GF skills as a conquerer, you'd think AoD would be something thats always kept slotted by a conq, but thats not the case.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Ah i loved the KC set, i also would love to go tactician but i like seeing 30k crits on my anvil of doom strikes more than i like tanking. God i love AoD, even if its the worst dps encounter avaliable to GFs, i love the timing it takes to see that awesome damage. I just wish there is more variety in GF skills as a conquerer, you'd think AoD would be something thats always kept slotted by a conq, but thats not the case.

The problem with Tactician is that you're contributing to the group in a pretty major way, but nobody ever notices. That GWF that just did 7.8 million damage instead of 6 million damage only notices that you almost got out damaged by the DC. Hehe.
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    yeah part of the problem with most people here dont realize whats going on in the background (buffs, debuffs and effects) anyway they only really see damage they do because its set like that by default and the iron maiden build is really the iron maiden strategy you can run almost any build with it and it will do almost the same thing.

i think that the lower classes (GF DC and HR) have been lowered because at the begining they were so strong in beta and the other higher classes (GWF and CW) have been left the same or buffed.

we will just have to wait for the pvp build to go live to see if there is any change because a change DOES need to happen. weather or not the change will be good enough is really up to the devs.

i do think the gf does need a buff weather by damage or increasing tanking viability.

i used higher and lower in that sentence because of the opinions of most players im content being a tank or really any of the classes.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    by damage or increasing tanking viability.

They need both!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    gowkaizergowkaizer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I concur. I play my Guardian Fighter less and less.