test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Swordmaster Destroyer or Iron Vanguard Destroyer: DPS output

ddlabryddlabry Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 6 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Militia Barracks
There are builds and guides on the forum. I am curious as to which spec has the highest potential DPS output for tier 2 dungeons.

Having said that I know its personal preference. But would like a baseline to gauge my decisions to go either way before spending on zen for respec.

Would greatly appreciate if the community of GWF could give me some advice
Post edited by ddlabry on

Comments

• Options
    pyrates313pyrates313 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Pretty sure that they are equal in dps, they did alot of runs with the two different builds and they were equal.
  • Options
    pandapaulpandapaul Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 424 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I have run with alot of GWfs and from what I have noticed.
    IV has a small edge in AoE dps..
    SM has a bigger advantage in single target..
    That's from what I have seen...
    But these differences will be negated by playing style, build and rotations..

The Main reason I run IV is because it's a beast in pvp.. With my pve GWF I can still be dominant in pvp.. SM is significantly worse for pvp
  • Options
    jmikezjmikez Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IV for clearing trash/mobs and adds on bosses. Frontline surge is aoe and can interupt elite mobs while they cast.
    SM has an edge when it comes to single target dps, (Fulm, Vali) flourish crits for a lot when it procs. And u can click flourish before a fulm/vali knocks u back (which they do a lot) and still do damage even though your character is mid air, So there's no loss of dps during those 2 boss fights.
    Jeanne -- 21.8k PvP CW
    Michael -- 21.1k PvP Sent GWF
    morePewPewlessQQ -- 20k Pvp/PvE HR
  • Options
    mutjinninjamutjinninja Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IV is hands down the DPS gwf spec right now. I run a 13.6K gwf and the end damage gap between me and another gwf running SM is laughable. I'm topping cws in total dps and the SM gwf is just over the cleric. Unless IV is nerfed (which I fear because I'm having fun and god knows that cryptic doesn't like that), it is the way to go over SM
  • Options
    eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    both paragons doesnt really matter, deep gash is whats carrying GWFs
  • Options
    pab77pab77 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    IV has a slight advantage on trash (which can prove a disadvantage depending on group comp, will get back on this) while SM still does very good aoe damage and has the uncontested better single target dps (same level of gear of course).

Why did I mention IV that can prove a disadvantage depending on group comps? Well IF you are IV and slot FLS and there's no CW in group and you don't slot Come and get it as well, you will make life harder for any other melee from constantly pushing & spreading mobs. If you don't use FLS smart to benefit group, you will end up gimping other GWF / rogues dps (yey he just pushed what I gathered before I land my IBS, and now all mobs are scattered).
  • Options
    warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    if go to iron vangourd path i recomand u insitigator i beat most of destroyer of the same score like me by some 15% in total damage iron vangourd dose not work so good for destroyer as it works for insitigator since his wicked is a lot stronger

but what ever u take to do not take swordmaster a lot worse dps in all paths with it
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Say what? How is SM worse? It retains same aoe damage (slightly less than IV) and it's king on single target (which is what really actually matters for fulmi / draco / valindra etc).
  • Options
    eton3000eton3000 Banned Users Posts: 230 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    instigator's capstone is the worst either SM or IV its as useful as a wet tissue
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    eton3000 wrote: »
    instigator's capstone is the worst either SM or IV its as useful as a wet tissue
    caps stone dose suck but instigator have a lot of other great feats and ty to threating rush and frontlane u will have capstone skill active a lot of time also wicked strike will do 25% more damage then on destroyer not so fast give combat adavntage on instigator as well and should proc trample and after this u hit 35% more+12% from capstone
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    pab77 wrote: »
    Say what? How is SM worse? It retains same aoe damage (slightly less than IV) and it's king on single target (which is what really actually matters for fulmi / draco / valindra etc).

first stell blitz is useless
    frontlane do better damage then flourish and dose not lock in place for 2 sec and aslo hits 3 targets and prone
    threating rush help u to move araound a lot faster so a lot better damage ty it and aslo marks targets so aditional 8% damage boost from mark
    trample of the fallen works when someone else use cc skills to so if u have 2xcw in team u will have 15% damage boost almost all the time
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Sorry but as destro SM you slot destroyer and weapon master. You only use flourish on bosses, and it doesn't lock you down, and it lands all hits after initiation even if target moves out of range (teleport valindra) or you get knocked / controlled. You don't need to move as a DPS because everything comes to you and you aoe stuff in place bunched up and you don't FLS them to spread them up and lower your group dps (unless you slot come and get it as well, or your CW - if you play with one or have more of at all time, will always sing after your FLS).

As destro sm for trash you slot not so fast, ibs and restoring / mighty leap, with wicked strike and weapon master strike. For single target you slot flourish ibs and restoring (roar only on draco if you have no CW or only 1, to help with mobs CC / position on boss as well to get some nice det), with sure strike and weapon master strike.

I have yet to see an IV destro sent or instigator outdpsing Cupcake for example (at aprox same gear levels).
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2014
    Yeah, and IV is kind of only for knocking, preventing damage through knocks, spike damage, and marking. SM is for single target and aoe dps, its the same for both to a lesser extent gf and greater for gwf atm.

I run basically the same set up with my destroyer (also using wms and wicked) and while im using steel blitz with say weapon master strike it procs almost as much as cw stormspell procs with icy terrain or conduit of ice. And it hits 600 extra damage coupled with the bleed from the feat the damage stacks pretty quick. Plus with steel blitz it can occasionally effect more than one person from 1 wms meaning i hit them twice meaning i get two chances per person affected for steel to proc.

Sure, you can close a gap with the threatening rush but i can do that easily enough through movement and sprint anyway and i can with SM still use mighty leap which also doubles as a dodge if you time it or use it that way or punishing charge which when feated can increase deflection by 10% along with sprint add in scale agility feat and you can go far and above normal deflection add in bravery and its even higher.

Because you cant "knock" a boss down, sure those moves are good for trash but trash with a gwf is easily managable for either paragon.

i also read somewhere that threatening rush will no longer be able to be fully spammed like it is now not sure if true or not just saying what I heard.