test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Returning CW - Questions about recent changes

vindicitvindicit Member Posts: 26 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Library
So I played CW at launch and loved how much CC you actually can do in Neverwinter but Ive been reading that most of the skills no longer give more AP per mob hit and mostly have target caps so you can no longer cast singularity every few seconds. My questions are, do CWs still have the same feel as before or is it not nearly as fun? Are dungeons just that much harder now with out all the CC? Do CWs still "bump" mobs or has that mostly been nerfed to ****? How are CWs played differently and what are the major changes I should know before I start playing again?

Thanks guys.
Post edited by vindicit on

Comments

• Options
    pers3phonepers3phone Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In PvE most CWs switched from CC singbots to machines of AoE destruction. Shield? Nah, no more. Entangling Force? No more. Bumping mobs off ledges? Only ungeared pugs still do that I think.

IMO this playstyle is much better than singbotting, I think you will enjoy seeing screens choke-full of big, orange crit numbers. Melt mobs>bump mobs.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    Well from what I remember, if the CW was not CCing most of the mobs then everyone else was dying cause mobs did non-tankable damage, Guardians couldn't aggro most of the mobs and the cleric could not keep up. How has that changed?
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    How did it change? People learned that CWs can do insane amounts of damage while still exerting enough control. Singularity is still an extremely useful Daily, but so is Oppressive Force. Shard of the Endless Avalanche is a source of massive DPS when used correctly and Steal Time is a powerful control ability. Entangling Force in mastery is still decent (IMO, others differ) simply for the ability to constantly group mobs up for the HRs and GWFs to AoE them to death (CWs can also appreciate it), but EF no longer gives stupid amounts of AP.

I find my CW to be vastly more enjoyable now compared to being a "Sing bot"

Edit: My usual set up is: Sudden Storm in Mastery, Conduit, Shard of Avalanche, Steal Time. At-Wills are MM and Storm Pillar. Passives are Eye of the Storm and Storm Spell. I am Thamaturge spec, so conduit is a staple. Renegades and Oppressors will have different preferences of course.
  • Options
    trippysmurf1trippysmurf1 Member Posts: 188 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Run now. GWF is OP and balance issues are a joke. The game is fun but they try their best to kill it with every patch. Stuff goes unfixed for months, and some basic functionality and formulas are incorrect since beta. Armor pen hasn't worked for CW in forever, deep gash was broken with mod 2 and still no fix, HRs have been abusing vines for over 2 months now and now a fix is finally coming. Bug reports are ignored, support is a joke if something happens. Oh, and if you're a CW expect nerfs. They happen all the time.
  • Options
    tickdofftickdoff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ignore Trippy, he seems mad.

The game is improving, but there are still issues. Like any MMO, bugs take time to fix, no matter what the player base thinks.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    In PVE cws are more enjoyable now than before. Take a look at the STOX and GRIMAH builds for Spellstorm path in this thread. With the AOE damage we do you will provide the same amount of control you did before because most packs die in one to two rotations of your encounters/ dailies then your cool downs will be reset before the next pack.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    CW's are still the most overpowered class in pve and are in desperate need of a retune to make something other than stacking multiple cw's the best way to steamroll content. They're still the ultimate in easymode.
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    CW's are still the most overpowered class in pve and are in desperate need of a retune to make something other than stacking multiple cw's the best way to steamroll content. They're still the ultimate in easymode.

You really are on a "nerf the cw" mission! I continue to see and believe that ANY class at the same skill and gear level that you play at is "Easy Mode" give it a rest will you?
  • Options
    uurbsuurbs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 449 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Honestly, please stop spamming any thread with your anti-CW propaganda.
    Proud member of Dragon Clan - German Gaming Community
  • Options
    helpimblindinrlhelpimblindinrl Member Posts: 972 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well before cw was like the judo class, lots of throwing and preventing the mobs doing anything while doing decent but not necessarily monster damage. Now its more of an angry man with sledgehammer class. There is still a fair amount of movement and up closeness involved so mercifully its not stand in the back and hold lmb but it was probably more fun to play before and required more precision before.
  • Options
    monmon1989monmon1989 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm a cw and participate in pvp, so far I'm enjoying even though my build is for pve but I can still kill players.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    So is there any specific fight where CWs are still needed to do a lot of CC? I remember Spellplague had a lot of required CC through out the whole instance and most end dungeon boss fights required a lot of CC since theres usually like 20+ mobs through all the fight.
  • Options
    sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    vindicit wrote: »
    So is there any specific fight where CWs are still needed to do a lot of CC? I remember Spellplague had a lot of required CC through out the whole instance and most end dungeon boss fights required a lot of CC since theres usually like 20+ mobs through all the fight.
    On the contrary to the previous person, i'd say the fight where massive control is still needed is CN and PK (not ToS). But anyway, going high dps is always better now.
  • Options
    hemagenhemagen Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    CWs have changed a lot.

You might have missed that amazing period of time during which the HV set was completely broken and OP. That was the trigger for CW dps transformation IMO. It also triggered the use of OF daily which is still in use despite the bug being fixed that made it MUST-USE-NOW (while HV was bugged it was an instant stackable essentially permanet 40% AOE debuff).

Basically now CW is still the best PVE class despite the fact that a GWF can outdps a CW with equal top gear (They have their own golden broken age right now: deep gash) because a CW can still control somewhat in addition to dishing out the second best DPS. Furthermore a GWF won't do anywhere as much dps without a CW sing and HV debuff.

Get new artifacts, get new boons, get HV set. Do VT during DD for a 2/2 free weapon set supirior to CN's. And stack maximum power (arpen must be ~20% first). And make sure you are a Thaum.
    Then, if you are any good at online games you will join the elite pve dpsers.
  • Options
    sslothzzsslothzz Member Posts: 224 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hemagen wrote: »
    And stack maximum power (arpen must be ~20% first).
    Oh so Cw spells benefit from arpen now? When did that happen?
  • Options
    nwforum1nwforum1 Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sslothzz wrote: »

It hasn't yet. Probably all they need to do is adjust some formulas, but magically this never makes it into patches. DCs have the same issue.
  • Options
    spacejewspacejew Member Posts: 1,044 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    To the OP: There is a new Paragon path for Mages. The Master of Flame. It centers on DoT's and AP gain, and allows you to 'chain' AS almost as fast as you used to be able to do with AS/Shield bump (Almost, it is still not 'instant' as it used to be). It is not the crit damage machine that a Spellstorm can achieve, but since everyone and their dog is running Spellstorm it opens up a niche for people who are more CC minded. Especially now that everyone is overgeared for everything.

Oh, and add bumping is still common practice. Anyone who says otherwise is taking longer to complete dungeons like Spellplague even with overgearing. It seems like, to me, every time the group has way higher GS than needed it's a ledge fest. It isn't as 'required' as before, though, as people have the DPS to simply melt add's. No one bothers to knock in PK anymore it seems, but most still do in Spellplague.
    MoF/Thaum CW SS/Thaum CW IV/Protector GF SW/Combat HR SM/Destroyer GWF WK/Executioner TR DO/Faithful DC
  • Options
    vvv459vvv459 Member Posts: 161 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    sslothzz wrote: »
    nwforum1 wrote: »
    It hasn't yet. Probably all they need to do is adjust some formulas, but magically this never makes it into patches. DCs have the same issue.

Actually.
    The shard benefits from arpen. CS does, ST does. CoI doesn't.
    So 20% arpen is a really good idea, I may even go for 24%.

Unfortunately arpen is bugged for many skills and has been that way since forever. Cryptic doesn't give a ****.

Some skills I know which gain nothing from arpen: (testing some as I am editing this post)
    2/3 Third MM strike.
    repel
    RoE
    CoI
    Ice knife! - that sucks actually, no wonder I never use it. And why when one hits my HR it does no damage ^^

That appears to be it.