test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Just...can't stop...building...

hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Foundry
So off and on, been working on the second Act of my campaign, and dammit...

I just keep adding and adding and adding to the maps. I don't even have the whole story finished yet.

Anyone else just like making maps, finishing a quest be dammed? I wish I could make maps for people and just give them away.

Also wish for a less laggy interface...well ok if it was less laggy then I would be even worse off. It's the lag that finally makes me log off.
bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
Post edited by hercooles130uscg on

Comments

• Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
  • Options
    orangefireeorangefiree Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,148 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Actually, for me it is the costume editor. I make unique costumes for every type of enemy and usually spend quite a bit of time perfecting the outfits of the main characters in the quest. And maybe make the next ten quest's main characters while I'm at it. Then I build the rest. But yes, it would be nice if people could build maps for other authors to use. Then I could spend less time building maps and get on to the next quest's costumes and storyline. Though if they did that, I would request the ability to build and publish costumes, I think I have about ten different Shadar-kai and quite a few other things. For example, a few demons I was able to build, some goblins, and like nine villagers. But I'm just rambling at this point I guess.
    Neverwinter players are stubborn things....until you strip them down to bone. (Cursed players, my flowers, MINE!) Oh how I plotted their demise.
  • Options
    zahinderzahinder Member Posts: 897 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When I was more active, I seriously thought of making missions that had no point but wandering around and poking at it. No XP, loot, monsters... just... sight-seeing, maybe play some puzzles
    Campaign: The Fenwick Cycle NWS-DKR9GB7KH

Wicks and Things: NW-DI4FMZRR4 : The Fenwick merchant family has lost a caravan! Can you help?

Beggar's Hollow: NW-DR6YG4J2L : Someone, or something, has stolen away many of the Fenwicks' children! Can you find out what happened to them?

Into the Fen Wood: NW-DL89DRG7B : Enter the heart of the forest. Can you discover the secret of the Fen Wood?
  • Options
    hercooles130uscghercooles130uscg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Actually, for me it is the costume editor. I make unique costumes for every type of enemy and usually spend quite a bit of time perfecting the outfits of the main characters in the quest. And maybe make the next ten quest's main characters while I'm at it. Then I build the rest. But yes, it would be nice if people could build maps for other authors to use. Then I could spend less time building maps and get on to the next quest's costumes and storyline. Though if they did that, I would request the ability to build and publish costumes, I think I have about ten different Shadar-kai and quite a few other things. For example, a few demons I was able to build, some goblins, and like nine villagers. But I'm just rambling at this point I guess.

I try and do custom costumes as much as possible too, but then I remember I still have to sit there and apply each costume to each enemy, with the interface lag you get, this is very tedious. But it makes a difference, especially when you have played long enough to recognize all the default looks of NPC's.
    bdayaffair_zps6675e60e.png
  • Options
    say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Yes, I often am too distracted making some side secret hallway or unused stairwell. Or trying to reproduce Willy Wonka's factory...LOL I would love to just go do Easter eggs and make puzzles with a scripter.

A great addiction. We almost have a new game company sitting right here in this thread...I hate costumes. They all end up looking the same again. Something I would wear.
  • Options
    ladykathleen55ladykathleen55 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 34
    edited February 2014
    Count me in that Foundry Addicts Anonymous too. My newest is very detailed.
    Lady Kathleen
    Newest Campaign: Enchanted Village NWS-DHNQ9PS99
    Act I Find Lady Kathleen NW-DKZBMOPOY

Old Champaign: Enchanted Castle: NWS-DCPHMJS4W.
    Act I Enchanted Castle NW-DU7IXVVDR
    Act II Home invasion NW-DJTJO4I5P

Author @ladykathleen55
    Reviews and Comments always welcome!
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd love to make maps for others to use too, we should have an option for that. It's what i most enjoy.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    chinspinnerchinspinner Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I've spent hour upon hour making a map with nice vistas and secret paths and absurd amounts of detail. Then I've finished it and realised it doesn't really fit into my quest, or only 1/4 of it can be used. I just get carried away building stuff.

I have also spent a lot of time creating characters I will never use; in fact just last night I logged in to create a few Slaver encounter costumes and wound up trying to make an Elvis look-alike, just for the amusement of having him standing in a crowd somewhere- wasted hours on it.
    My new quest:

WIP
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you are that happy with them, publish your maps as a "tour" so others can see them.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • Options
    say1osay1o Member Posts: 111 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    Elvis! Nice.. I found a Goku (Dragonball Z) look alike already there. I had to put him in a quest as a guest star, with no real mention.
  • Options
    stjordvikstjordvik Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If anyone ever did publish a map simply as a tour, not a complete quest or anything, I would definitely play the quest. I have been working on a village map for a while and I just keep going back and tweaking it. Haven't even done a thing for a quest with it yet, just the village itself. I know what I want to use it for, but I just can't stop working on the setting. I think "travel and tourism" should be a new quest type to allow people to just post maps. And maybe a fashion page, displaying nothing but player created costumes. ;)
  • Options
    mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Someone once made a Klein bottle that you could walk through, 500 feet in the air, as a tour map/demo. They posted a corum thread advertising it.

No one ever played it other than the author (presumably, it had one single play) and myself.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.