test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Will there actually be any PvP modes?

hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
I mentioned that it might be time to give up on new PvP modes in the general discussion (or for Cryptic to fire whoever decides the order of how they create new content) but I'll simply ask the question here for the people in the preview shard to answer. Will there actually be new PvP modes in this module 3 update? Here's why I ask.

They've inserted and started balancing Tenacity and Healing Depression... For Domination. Now unless they're planning on giving us a 6v6 arena and slapping it into an update claiming that it's a new PvP mode (don't you dare), they're going to have to re-balance, re-tweak, and re-test both Tenacity and Healing Depression to make sure they're balanced for any new PVP modes they create as well as Domination and Gauntylgrim. To continue my streak of creating metaphors in all my posts, they're building a roof without all the walls in place.

Is there going to be new PvP modes and content in the new update? And if yes why are we helping to balance Tenacity and Healing Depression for only one of the modes when we should be helping to balance it for all of them? Seems fairly inefficient to me seeing as the stats may need to be adjusted as each new mode is introduced and eventually just split up into multiple forms depending on the PvP type.

This is directed at the players by the way since I doubt a developer will answer. Please, tell me I'm missing something. I want to believe, and as a pessimist that's literally one of the few times in my life I ever will. Also please don't point out the obvious answer... that the new PvP modes will just be domination with minor tweaks (or there won't be any at all). I want to give the devs the benefit of the doubt (again, one of the few times in my pessimistic life).
Post edited by hiddenfate on

Comments

• Options
    voltomeyvoltomey Member Posts: 1,052 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    This game is PvE foremost and were lucky they started paying attention to PvP right now its a step in the right direction its not gonna please every one but i would not hold my breath for PvP to come before the games PvE community.Meaning we will be lucky to get New PvP mods.
    Gang Busters PvP Guild Recruiting When Mod 6 goes live Pm Me for more Info If you have any Paladin question Message Me and i will get back to you ASAP
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    voltomey wrote: »
    This game is PvE foremost and were lucky they started paying attention to PvP right now its a step in the right direction its not gonna please every one but i would not hold my breath for PvP to come before the games PvE community.Meaning we will be lucky to get New PvP mods.

I had the same problem in Dungeons and Dragons online. I actually got into a really heated argument with several of the players and one of the developers (or moderators, in my defense it was a while ago) back when I played it in '06... I feel old now. They were utterly convinced that their game could survive without PvP and I was simply responding with "it can't". Now they have Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, Challenge Arena... I have never had my self control taxed as far as the moment I saw those updates.

I haven't had anyone at Cryptic argue with me about this yet (or seen a moderator condemn pvp), but then again I don't think I've actually seen a developer anywhere but 2 or 3 posts here in the shard. The community here, at least, isn't as purist (which I will say in an insulting tone) as the people I met on the D&DO forums so hopefully the developers follow the mixed community and aren't PvE purists themselves.
  • Options
    elewyndylelewyndyl Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The short and truthful answer is I do not know. Cryptic had said they were working on a major PvP update. I immediately assumed it would be another PvP mode like for example Capture The Flag or another map for example Alterac Valley was a nice outdoor Battleground in WOW.

However I have become aware of Tenacity after those first assumptions mentioned above. There are also some lame talk about matchmaking groups which I don't like the idea, but perhaps it will be 3 groups and boosted glory rewards for higher ranked players that would make sense to me if any matchmaking is used, but honestly nobody knows that either how it will become except developers.

My hope and belief is this game will either see a new form of PvP and/or a Battleground released during 2014, but seems to me main focus is now balance Tenacity so could be they release first Tenacity. Any possible other PvP content is likely released later this year. However once again this is me speculating and only Cryptic knows.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    I had the same problem in Dungeons and Dragons online. I actually got into a really heated argument with several of the players and one of the developers (or moderators, in my defense it was a while ago) back when I played it in '06... I feel old now. They were utterly convinced that their game could survive without PvP and I was simply responding with "it can't". Now they have Capture the Flag, Deathmatch, Challenge Arena... I have never had my self control taxed as far as the moment I saw those updates.
    They may have them but no one in that game pvp's. Characters in that game can get 1-2k health on the high end of normal, and do 12k and higher crits. The pvp in that game is literally who has the better connection for ping time to see who swings their weapon first. The game is still live and I'd say it really doesn't have a pvp mode.

Now I'm not saying that that is what should happen here, completely, but your example really isn't that great to someone that's played that game recently.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    They may have them but no one in that game pvp's. Characters in that game can get 1-2k health on the high end of normal, and do 12k and higher crits. The pvp in that game is literally who has the better connection for ping time to see who swings their weapon first. The game is still live and I'd say it really doesn't have a pvp mode.

Now I'm not saying that that is what should happen here, completely, but your example really isn't that great to someone that's played that game recently.

Point taken, but the fact that they even put it in in the first place shows that enough people asked for it. Those people probably left if they did a poor job of it, and it will lose Turbine a lot of money, capacity, and time to try and regain them. So my heart's still at ease :D and that can also serve as a lesson to Cryptic. Do a half-baked job at PvP and you'll have to waste a lot of time, effort, and money to get the players back who you alienate with it.
  • Options
    heavenclaimyouheavenclaimyou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Honnestly, a New Feature PvP don't need many effort .

Something like Aion could be very Nice and need nothing more than a map, and ranked individual player .

Let's make an exemple :
    BG : Valindra Corrupt some Hero of neverwinter and Mercenary . The Trahison is made on a new battlefield (New Map) .
    Neverwinter send many forces and you can also fight the betrayer, each betrayer you kill make you more Famous on Neverwinter Faction, and Each Hero of Neverwinter you kill make you more famous on Valindra Faction .

Maybe we can add some Fortress with guarded by Valindra's Generals and Neverwinter's General , and Player Job is to capture as much Fortress as possible .
    That could be something like 6 Fortress each one allow to each player on the faction who own the Fortress to Buy With Famous Money a piece , and Each Fortress Sell just ONE type of piece like Boots or gloves or Body or Weapons, etc ...

When you Bought your piece of armor with your Famous Money, your rank back down and you have to climb again with killing other faction player .

It's basic i know but that don't need alot of effort, just a design for a new map and add some "Boss" in each fortress .

Maybe add some Dailies Quest like Farm few mobs or kill few ranked player to allow you to gain more famous and force poeple to be in that map and it's ok for me and for most of us i guess .
    Specially since Cryptic made a difference between PVE and PVP stuff , each player can play as he likes
    Delete the Perma Stealth Please !
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ^The post above me confuses me a bit. But if they added in NPCs into a PvP map with Tenacity and Healing Depression they'd have to balance those two stats for the NPCs on that particular map or it would be worthless. And depending on the NPC they might need to rebalance it for each new map like that which they add.
  • Options
    sasorassasoras Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    or the npcs could just be fodder meant to tie up the "heroes", reminds me of the games where armies of npcs spawn next to each player at a node or building and automatically march to enemy spawn points or buildings, and by killing certain nodes and buildings and each other, we disrupt the npc armies spawns amount,untill eventually one army overruns the other side, and kill the hqs on a per hit bases rather then actual dmg.

So something similar to league of legends. The npcs can range form generic soldiers, wizard,(minboss). Its more like and push and pull thing, but the players will try and change the outcome, by taking out the minibosses, other players or target the wizard npcs form opposing side.